Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely LOVE Jim Shore and was so fortunate to have met him on our December 2013 DL trip. I only have 2 of his Disney pieces (he signed the one I bought at the store that day) but I have about a dozen of his Angels. I can see I'm going to need to add to my Disney collection!

We met Jim Shore at the World of Disney Store in December 2013 too. We have a lot of his Disney Traditions pieces and one is signed by him. It was an great experience to see this nice man in person.

If anybody would like to meet Jim Shore too. The dates for 2015 are Saturday, December 5 and Sunday, December 6.

Last edited:

We met Jim Shore at the World of Disney Store in December 2013 too. We have a lot of his Disney Traditions pieces and one is signed by him. It was an great experience to see this nice man in person.

If anybody would like to meet Jim Shore too. The dates for 2015 are Saturday, December 5 and Sunday, December 6.
I'll be at DLR during those dates! Where will he be? Thanks!

I'll be at DLR during those dates! Where will he be? Thanks!

Locations and times have not been announced yet. In 2013 he was the first day at China Closet on Main Street and the next day at World of Disney in Downtown Disney.

There have been some great miniature versions of the Castle that have come out in ornament form over the years. One of my favorites -- and thank heavens I bought it because DLR doesn't sell it anymore -- is a miniature gingerbread version of the Castle. In fact, there was a whole line of gingerbread souvenirs and I loved them all.

Another mini ornament Castle was a sort of rustic "log cabin" version. I can't remember when I last saw it -- maybe back in 2008 or 2009. I am probably not recalling the details correctly, but it was a woodsy interpretation of the Castle.

I think there is also a miniature diamond anniversary Castle too? It may not be as small as the others.

I love the Winter Castle version -- and I think it is perfect because the Winter Castle is an iconic centerpiece of Disneyland that symbolizes the park during the holidays. With my luck the ornament will be gone this year (especially since there probably won't be a Winter Castle in the park this year).

Just googled the miniture gingerbread castle - how cute! I would have love to have that ornament. I couldn't find a pic of the rustic log one but I am sure that I would love that one too! We bought one of those metal Christmas trees from the DLR last year and many ornaments to hang from it. It was really hard deciding which ones to get. It was a nice way to showcase these Disney ornaments. We have purchases many ornaments from our travels thru the years that last year, we put up four smaller trees to display them. Also, Jillian has that mini tree in the green Mickey tube displayed in her room. It is a perfect traveling size so we will be putting it up in our hotel room during our Christmas visit this year :-)

So we did it. We bought the airline tickets today. We are set Thursday Dec 3 erd till Thursday dec 10th.

Capt Bane was wondering if any one could tell us if the interventions thing for the 60th was still going on? Or was it back to the super hero's thing?

From the information I dug up, it appears that Disney is trying to get at least part of the Star Wars Launch Bay up and running right around Sunday, October 11th (of course, it's always possible that the date could change). They're auditioning character performers who have to be able to start work on that date. That should be held inside the Innoventions building. I'm positive it will be going on in December, as December is when the new Star Wars movie opens (if I am not mistaken) and the new Star Tours adventure/film should be ready to go then as well.

From a Disneyland press release last week, here is a blurb about the Launch Bay: "This interactive experience will take guests into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with new and favorite Star Wars characters, special merchandise and food offerings. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park. Also at Disneyland park, Star Wars Launch Bay will share the space with the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with super heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries. Both experiences will be available for guests later this year."

Just googled the miniture gingerbread castle - how cute! I would have love to have that ornament. I couldn't find a pic of the rustic log one but I am sure that I would love that one too! We bought one of those metal Christmas trees from the DLR last year and many ornaments to hang from it. It was really hard deciding which ones to get. It was a nice way to showcase these Disney ornaments. We have purchases many ornaments from our travels thru the years that last year, we put up four smaller trees to display them. Also, Jillian has that mini tree in the green Mickey tube displayed in her room. It is a perfect traveling size so we will be putting it up in our hotel room during our Christmas visit this year :-)

That miniature gingerbread Castle is one of my favorite holiday souvenirs, but I also love the cookie sheet magnets, and everything else in that whole gingerbread line. I have photos of everything. I can post them here while we're still in the Treats & Treasures theme week! Basically, I like any Disney collectibles that look like food! :lmao: After the gingerbread line was discontinued, Disney began selling a line of ornaments and knick knacks with Tinker Bell posing with peppermint candy. I never bought the Tinker Bell collection but I loved it.

I think this may have been the woodsy Castle I saw in the China Closet years ago -- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/161637074097367234/ -- although to be honest, from what I remembered the ornament looked a bit more like the Sleeping Beauty Castle in rustic form, whereas this picture shows a Castle that looks more like the Castle in WDW, I guess? I could barely find any photos online -- of even this version, let alone any other version -- so I don't know if there were two versions, or if this was the only one.

For some stupid reason I didn't get a picture of the rustic castle when I saw it, so I can't refer back to it to see if it is the same as the one shown above.

Last edited:
That miniature gingerbread Castle is one of my favorite holiday souvenirs, but I also love the cookie sheet magnets, and everything else in that whole gingerbread line. I have photos of everything. I can post them here while we're still in the Treats & Treasures theme week! Basically, I like any Disney collectibles that look like food! :lmao: After the gingerbread line was discontinued, Disney began selling a line of ornaments and knick knacks with Tinker Bell posing with peppermint candy. I never bought the Tinker Bell collection but I loved it.

I think this may have been the woodsy Castle I saw in the China Closet years ago -- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/161637074097367234/ -- although to be honest, from what I remembered the ornament looked a bit more like the Sleeping Beauty Castle in rustic form, whereas this picture shows a Castle that looks more like the Castle in WDW, I guess? I could barely find any photos online -- of even this version, let alone any other version -- so I don't know if there were two versions, or if this was the only one.

For some stupid reason I didn't get a picture of the rustic castle when I saw it, so I can't refer back to it to see if it is the same as the one shown above.

I really do like the gingerbread castle - maybe I will find one somewhere online! LOL As for the rustic one, this castle looks like a cross between the castles at DL and WDW. Sometimes, it is so hard to take a photo of everything that we see, especially at Disneyland.

I can not wait for the candy cane dates. I really want to get another one this time.

Also hoping for more blue and silver ornaments and christmas merchandise then all the red and gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, now do you know if they ever had the 60th special thing in interventions or was that idea a rumor that got scrapped? if not is there any where that they do have a big 60th display thing of history of the park?

Also hoping for more blue and silver ornaments and christmas merchandise then all the red and gold.

I don't think there is going to be a complete 'Diamond-ization' of every facet of the holiday season (only some things), but I'm sure there will be some special ornaments as well as the regular holiday souvenirs and ornaments.

To me it seems that the whole Diamond Anniversary theme would mesh much better with the holiday season. Lots of holiday decorations are twinkly and sparkly to begin with, so it seems that it could work well. It's Halloween Time + Diamond Celebration that seems a bit... curious! :lmao: The first sign of a "diamond Halloween decoration" that I saw was a photo of a "Fall centerpiece" in the China Closet, with crystals hanging off of it. While I guess we could look at it is 'leaves dripping with icicles,' it still didn't seem to work perfectly.

Thank you so much, now do you know if they ever had the 60th special thing in interventions or was that idea a rumor that got scrapped? if not is there any where that they do have a big 60th display thing of history of the park?

I think it was an idea that got scrapped. I don't think it ever happened in Innoventions because I guess the plan quickly became clear to Disney that they were going ahead with the Star Wars Launch Bay. Innoventions has been closed for a while, if I am not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm so impressed with the photos everyone is posting -- they're nice and crisp and clear! And, also, I am seeing certain merchandise items I didn't know existed.

Thank you so much for all of your pictures for this week - Christmas merchandise and food/snacks is my favourite week so far! My fiance (who will be my husband when we get to Disneyland as it is our honeymoon :love:) is getting bored of me whipping my phone round to show him yet more merch we need to buy and snacks we need to try. I NEED the snow covered car with cone who sits outside the Welcome to Cars Land sign for my tree. Thanks so much again for all the pics! And a big thanks to Sherry for all this info, you have all made us so excited for our first Christmas trip to DL and I have never seen such an informative thread.

Sherry, I am not a fan of all the red and gold which really makes it hard for me to purchase a lot of the holiday merchandise. I was just hoping that maybe since silver and blue are part of the diamond celebration that more items will be in that color not that they really have to be all bedazzeled.

Thank you so much for all of your pictures for this week - Christmas merchandise and food/snacks is my favourite week so far! My fiance (who will be my husband when we get to Disneyland as it is our honeymoon :love:) is getting bored of me whipping my phone round to show him yet more merch we need to buy and snacks we need to try. I NEED the snow covered car with cone who sits outside the Welcome to Cars Land sign for my tree. Thanks so much again for all the pics! And a big thanks to Sherry for all this info, you have all made us so excited for our first Christmas trip to DL and I have never seen such an informative thread.

Thank you for the kind words! :goodvibes I'm so glad that this thread has been helpful and interesting to you.

I love Snowy the Snow Car in all versions -- either the one who sits at the entrance to Cars Land, or in plush ornament form!

Sherry, I am not a fan of all the red and gold which really makes it hard for me to purchase a lot of the holiday merchandise. I was just hoping that maybe since silver and blue are part of the diamond celebration that more items will be in that color not that they really have to be all bedazzeled.

They've got ornaments and merchandise in all sorts of colors other than just red and gold. I mean, yes, there will be red and gold too. I'm sure there will be special Diamond Anniversary-themed holiday collectibles as well. I don't think that the entire assortment of holiday merchandise all throughout DLR is going to be Diamond Anniversary-themed, but there will be some things -- probably even a lot of things.

There are 60th anniversary blue/silver ornaments. I want to say 4-5 different designs that I saw; I bought one and my kids surprised me by buying another on our June trip. I'll take a picture of them in a minute to share - I don't why I didn't think to before!

Here are the two 60th anniversary ornaments we have.

This is the one my two oldest bought for me (they bought this totally on their own as a thank you for the trip. :love:)

And here is the one I bought myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo... I bought the Minnie one. I'm leaving that out year round. I hadn't seen the other one! I really like it!

This weeks theme has made me hungry for Christmas treats! I settled for Pumpkin Bread while I was in Ohio last weekend. Not quite the same as a Mickey Gingerbread Cookie, but it was the best I could do! At least it was a "Fall" treat, which inches us closer to Christmas! Looking forward to next weeks theme! :cool1:

Non DLR Holiday info:

Sherry and all other lovers of Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas....:santa::santa::santa::santa:

I read yesterday that they will release the Christmas movie lineup on Hallmark's Home and Family on September 15. I am looking forward to seeing what we will be seeing this holiday season. Last year I was completely off on my predictions of what movies I would like and which ones I would not, so we will see how it works out this year. I am still in shock how much I loved Nine Lives of Christmas and how much I disliked Cookie Cutter Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter