Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks theme has made me hungry for Christmas treats! I settled for Pumpkin Bread while I was in Ohio last weekend. Not quite the same as a Mickey Gingerbread Cookie, but it was the best I could do! At least it was a "Fall" treat, which inches us closer to Christmas! Looking forward to next weeks theme! :cool1:

Non DLR Holiday info:

Sherry and all other lovers of Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas....:santa::santa::santa::santa:

I read yesterday that they will release the Christmas movie lineup on Hallmark's Home and Family on September 15. I am looking forward to seeing what we will be seeing this holiday season. Last year I was completely off on my predictions of what movies I would like and which ones I would not, so we will see how it works out this year. I am still in shock how much I loved Nine Lives of Christmas and how much I disliked Cookie Cutter Christmas!

I heard about it yesterday. The majority of the movies I already know the titles of, or I at least have an idea of who is starring in them even if the titles change. There are just a few surprises left, but I have jury duty that week. So, if I am not home on that day I'll have to set the DVR just so I can find out the remaining titles and info that I don't have!

Based on what I already know, I can make a fair assumption of which movies I might like and which ones might annoy me... but I won't commit to those assumptions because I could be proven wrong when I see them (as was the case last year)!

This is one of my favorite theme weeks since I LOVE shopping and eating! Funny enough, I don't have many photos of holiday merchandise and treats from our trip last year. I must have been too busy shopping and eating!!

DSC03021small.jpg

DSC02743small.jpg

DSC02744small.jpg

Santa Tree.jpg Peter Pan ornaments.jpg
Mickey Ornaments.jpg

Carsland Ornaments.jpg

One good thing about September being here (in a couple of days) -- other than the arrival of fall (hallelujah!) -- is that the Parks Blog should be letting us know sometime in the next couple of weeks what the official holiday dates are. I mean, we pretty much already know that the season will begin on either 11/12 or 11/13, and will likely end on 1/6/16, so there is not much mystery there.

What will be interesting, however, is to see what Erin mentions in the Parks Blog as returning or happening during the holiday season. So far, we know that the Christmas Fantasy Parade is coming back in some capacity. Haunted Mansion Holiday is back. It's a Small World Holiday is back. I think that Viva Navidad will be back. Beyond those things, though... I am wondering when Olaf's Snow Fest is going to start again (November or December?). Is World of Color - Winter Dreams going to happen, or is Celebrate going to run for the rest of the year? Is Jingle Cruise coming back? And what about the Winter Castle? How wintry will it be this year, since it is decorated for the 60th anniversary?

And... where will Santa go if the Ranch and Jingle Jangle Jamboree are closed during the holidays? Will he return to his little log cabin and greet guests there? Will he move to some other spot in DL?

Will the old rumor about the star returning to the top of the Matterhorn be accurate?

Anyway, I will see you all tomorrow morning sometime, for the 4th theme in the Theme Week Countdown!

:santa::santa::santa:

One good thing about September being here (in a couple of days) -- other than the arrival of fall (hallelujah!) -- is that the Parks Blog should be letting us know sometime in the next couple of weeks what the official holiday dates are. I mean, we pretty much already know that the season will begin on either 11/12 or 11/13, and will likely end on 1/6/16, so there is not much mystery there.

What will be interesting, however, is to see what Erin mentions in the Parks Blog as returning or happening during the holiday season. So far, we know that the Christmas Fantasy Parade is coming back in some capacity. Haunted Mansion Holiday is back. It's a Small World Holiday is back. I think that Viva Navidad will be back. Beyond those things, though... I am wondering when Olaf's Snow Fest is going to start again (November or December?). Is World of Color - Winter Dreams going to happen, or is Celebrate going to run for the rest of the year? Is Jingle Cruise coming back? And what about the Winter Castle? How wintry will it be this year, since it is decorated for the 60th anniversary?

And... where will Santa go if the Ranch and Jingle Jangle Jamboree are closed during the holidays? Will he return to his little log cabin and greet guests there? Will he move to some other spot in DL?

Will the old rumor about the star returning to the top of the Matterhorn be accurate?

Anyway, I will see you all tomorrow morning sometime, for the 4th theme in the Theme Week Countdown!

:santa::santa::santa:
I feel so lucky to have been able to visit during the Christmas season in 2013! We did make a brief visit during Mardi Gras 2014 and that was fun too but nothing like the Holidays!

Looking forward to this week's theme! I'll have to grab my old laptop and upload to Photobucket tonight :)

It’s Monday -- and it’s time for the fourth week of the 5th Annual Theme Week Countdown to begin!!

……Approximately 10 Weeks Until the
Holiday Season Begins at the Disneyland Resort!!!!

With each new week will come a different Disneyland Resort holiday theme!

As I have previously mentioned in this Superthread, I’ll be showcasing a particular aspect of DLR's holiday festivities each week until early November. Including today’s theme, there are 10 more themes to explore over the next 9 weeks: Nine main weekly themes every Monday from today, August 31, 2015, through October 26, 2015, and a final “Holiday Cornucopia/These Are a Few of My Favorite Things” theme on Monday, November 2, 2015 (there will be more details about what the “Cornucopia” can include when we get closer to that date!).

Last year I began the Countdown about 3 weeks earlier than I started it this year. I am ending it before I expect the Holidays at DLR to officially commence (which will probably be Thursday, November 12th or Friday, November 13th, 2015, although nothing has been announced just yet). Once November starts and the decorations in the parks appear little by little each day, our attention shifts to learning information about and seeing photos of what is new for the current season’s celebration. This year there are many questions revolving around what will or will not be back for the holidays with the current focus on the Diamond (60th) Anniversary of Disneyland, and all eyes will be on any news or reports coming in from the parks.

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for November at the Disneyland Resort! They are also a way to display the different elements, nuances and details of the Holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some visitors…or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others. Finally, this is an excellent way for our Theme Week Countdown participants to shine a light on their wonderful pictures and attract visitors to their Trip Reports, photo libraries, etc.

So far, we have explored: Holiday Treats & Treasures (a.k.a. Food & Merchandise); different seasonal photo options with Holiday Characters, PhotoPass and Santa Claus; and beautiful Christmas Trees, Wreaths and Holiday Horticulture (Holiday Flowers and Plants) around Disneyland Resort.

So…what will be our fourth theme of 2015? It is another double header Theme Week, featuring 2 themes in one!!

In the Spotlight this Week......

PACIFIC WHARF and PARADISE PIER!!!!
(Including Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad)

Of California Adventure’s two seaside-inspired lands, Paradise Pier has the edge on Pacific Wharf in terms of seasonal embellishments and entertainment. From the large Christmas tree on the Pier, to wreaths and garland located on or near the Little Mermaid attraction, to the jubilant Viva Navidad -- and even a Winter version of World of Color -- Paradise Pier exhibits its love for the holidays in a variety of ways.

Prior to 2013, the Christmas celebration in Paradise Pier had been relatively understated. New on the scene that year were the lively, joyous Viva Navidad, a toe-tapping, hip-swaying Latino celebration filled with food, music and other unique offerings, and Winter Dreams (featuring Frozen’s Olaf in a prominent role) – otherwise known as World of Color with a Christmas twist.

While Viva Navidad got rave reviews, Winter Dreams’ reception was merely lukewarm. In 2014, Winter Dreams returned with a few changes, and a more favorable response. (At this time it is unknown if Winter Dreams will return for the holiday season of 2015.)

Pacific Wharf, on the other hand, while encompassing the feel of an authentic fisherman’s village, has very little in the way of Yuletide splendor. You won’t find many touches of the holidays around Pacific Wharf but the Ghirardelli store offers up free samples of its delicious peppermint bark to anyone who steps inside the shop --- so it is a must-visit for peppermint enthusiasts!

Pacific Wharf

Exciting garland hung over the entry to Ghirardelli (hey, it’s a start…)

IMG_9458.jpg

Ghirardelli also gives out free samples of Peppermint Bark…

IMG_0865.jpg

Boudin Bakery bread made in the shapes of candy canes, Christmas trees and creepy snowmen…

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Paradise Pier

Ariel’s Grotto sea-themed tree…

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

The whole area around World of Color - Winter Dreams was decorated with giant presents and candy sticks…

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

Just to give you an idea of where Viva Navidad takes place in Paradise Pier, notice that you can see the Paradise Pier Hotel in the background…

IMG_0969.jpg

And I could see the Viva Navidad performers and floats from my PPH window!

IMG_9561.jpg

More Viva Navidad fun!

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

PhotoPass spot…

IMG_0999-1.jpg

Details…

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Mickey…

IMG_1017.jpg

The street party/parade/celebration…

IMG_1011-1.jpg

IMG_1013-1.jpg

IMG_1014-1.jpg

Part of the menu…

IMG_1061-1.jpg

I may or may not post more photos during the week.

Please feel free to post your photos of Pacific Wharf and Paradise Pier (including photos of World of Color – Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad) all this week, through Sunday, September 6th, 2015, 11:59 p.m., P.S.T.

Then, stay tuned for our fifth theme on Monday, September 7th!! We have many themes coming up in future weeks, so get your photos ready!

A reminder – please follow my leads (in either the photos I post or in the text) as to what to post for the themes. Please stick to the designated themes and save any other photos that don’t fit for future theme weeks. Every possible Disneyland Resort holiday-related element will be covered in some theme or another, so nothing will be left out. However, since this is a game/contest – in which people are entering to win Disney gift cards based on their contributions – it’s important to not stray from the theme that is underway. Feel free to ask me if you are not sure if something counts or doesn’t count. :goodvibes

Pacific Wharf

Viva Navidad

Menu at Paradise Garden Grill during Viva Navidad

Paradise Pier Christmas Tree

Little Mermaid ride decorations

The old Christmas decorations at Paradise Pier before Viva Navidad

World of Color: Winter Dreams

2014 Paradise Pier

The menu at Paradise Garden Grill during Viva Navidad. These food are only exclusive during the Viva Navidad event during the holiday season.

This was new last year at PP was the light on the pole which is different from the snowflakes at BVS towards PP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradise Pier:

DLRNikonNov2014350.jpg
DLRIPhone2014307.jpg

Paradise Pier Tree

DLRNikonNov2014320.jpg

Ghirardelli's:
DLR%20Nikon%20Nov%202014%20311.jpg

Arials Tree:

DLR%20IPhone%202014%20277.jpg

PP Tree:
DLR%20IPhone%202014%20278.jpg

PP decorations ( such as they are, lol )
DLR%20IPhone%202014%20295.jpg

DLR%20IPhone%202014%20296.jpg

DLR%20IPhone%202014%20308.jpg
DLR%20IPhone%202014%20301.jpg

Viva Navidad area:

DLR%20Nikon%20Nov%202014%20346.jpg

DLR%20Nikon%20Nov%202014%20345.jpg

DLR%20Nikon%20Nov%202014%20341.jpg

All from December 2014

PP7.jpg

The view from the wheel of death. At least there were pretty decorations to admire between the bouts of terror. :rotfl2:

PP2.jpg

Loved the decorations on Little Mermaid <3

PP1.jpg

One of the few decent photos I got of Winter Dreams
PP10.jpg

And finally, Viva Navidad! Which I loved....including bonus selfie with some really sweet cast members who were working the arts and crafts area AND the decorated street cleaners at the end of the parade that just cracked me up.

PP3.jpg

PP5.jpg
PP4.jpg

PP6.jpg

PP9.jpg PP11.jpg

World of Color Winter Dreams

Tree at the top of Paradise Pier

Duffy's old M&G spot (not sure if it's decorated anymore)

Viva Navidad

Ornament on the tree in Ariel's Grotto

I am looking but not sure I have photos may need to take some screen shots of the videos we have lol Love all the pics we never go to the pier. This year we want to play some of the games so we will go.

SAM_0558_zpsc6a143bf.jpg

Notice the santa hat on the star on top of the gazebo.. to cute:
IMG_4040_zpshugsleu1.jpg

SAM_0573_zpsa9519f2d.jpg

SAM_0575_zps0c1c7f39.jpg

SAM_0600_zpsb80b199f.jpg

SAM_0589_zpsf1b06fcc.jpg

ca7%20010_0001_zpsq8iqdeik.jpg

21_11_2014%2004_42_0004_zps6xf6dlec.jpg

Almost related... World of Colour limited edition pin... These were sold out everywhere and I randomly looked into the Grand Californian Gift shop while checking out their gingerbread house and there they were sitting in the middle of the core pins:
1513782_10153450008227662_6329389554543751103_n_zpsscsfyrix.jpg

So my intention was to participate in EVERY challenge this year (since I did get to visit during the holidays last year) and I have already failed. With school starting and a million other things that went on, I just didn't get to participate in the last 3 weeks! But I'm hoping to participate in the rest! Thank you Sherry for this - I love this thread!

I did not take as many photos as I thought I would on this trip, because once I got there I just reveled in the magic with my family and kind of forgot about the camera. Hopefully this year when we go back I will take more photos!

So I only have 2 photos for this theme, but yay I have something! So I have my family in front of the Paradise Pier Christmas tree and my family with Goofy at Viva Navidad!

paradisepier.jpg

vivanavidad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter