• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wonder - Galveston to San Jaun - January 20, 2017

They are departing from ( except the one flight on Spirit to Houston) SJU (San Juan's airport). So, each time I put an airline like Southwest, I was meaning that the flight was leaving from San Juan.
Sorry for the confusion. :headache:
ooohhhhhh gotcha :)

So where are you flying from? Are y'all flying into hobby or intercontinental?
Depending on the flight time, maybe we can do something like a shared transfer.

So where are you flying from? Are y'all flying into hobby or intercontinental?
Depending on the flight time, maybe we can do something like a shared transfer.
We will be flying from either Rochester, NY or Syracuse, NY. I didn't see flights available yet. Which airport would be better to fly into? I guess which ever is cheapest. Which is closest to gavelston?

Hobby is closest, but I would go with a combination of which is cheaper to fly into, combined with which you can find a transfer from that coincides with your arrival time.
For those having to fly in before the cruise, there are some airport area hotels that offer a free shuttle to their location if you stay a night. And then there are shuttles that go to Galveston that will pick up at the hotel the next day. You would have to make sure to get an early shuttle if you are heading straight to the boat. You could also try to fly in early enough to get a shuttle to Galveston on your arrival day. You should be able to get a shuttle to take you to your hotel if you are in the day before. If you fly in on the 20th, I would recommend getting a very early flight. Yes, you can board as late as 3 PM, but on the flip side, boarding times start as early as 11:30. The earlier you board, the earlier your vacation starts.

~ Tink ~

Woo Hoo!
I bought a motorized, lightweight, collapsible wheelchair today for about the same price it was going to take to rent one. The best part is, the boys no longer have to lift my 200 lb power chair in and out of the back of the truck when we are packing for trips.
Yeah!

Woo Hoo!
I bought a motorized, lightweight, collapsible wheelchair today for about the same price it was going to take to rent one. The best part is, the boys no longer have to lift my 200 lb power chair in and out of the back of the truck when we are packing for trips.
Yeah!
Awesome!!

it's official! We are on this cruise :) We had sworn after our last Disney cruise out of Galveston that we would NEVER cruise from Galveston again! And here we are........That trip taught us the importance of trip insurance, which we never cruise without now. Something we are doing different is staying in Houston and driving to the port that morning, and planning indoor activities. We just got off the Fantasy 2 weeks ago, and I wasn't sure I was going to book another Disney cruise next year, then we saw how reasonable we could get a 1 bedroom, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I'm hoping my DH likes it so much he decides we must book a suite every year :goodvibes I wasn't in love with the Fantasy. I thought we would all be blown away and honestly every one of us missed the Wonder. I did like the adult section, but my youngest for the first time ever, didn't like the EDGE!!! So instead of hanging out with the adults, I spent most of the time hanging with her. Also for the first time, the service we had was just okay. I loved our server, but the rest of the tipped staff was nothing to write home about. Not bad, but nothing special. Basically what I'd expect if we went to a nice restaurant. The adult entertainment was FANTASTIC! This was our 1st family vacation where my adult children outnumber the minor children, so we would all meet up at the Tube every night at 10pm. Tisa was hilarious and it was one of my favorite parts of our trip.
Anyway, about us: this is the first trip without the whole family. We have 6 kids,they are starting families, and on the cruise last month we had 10 of us. This cruise, just DH Mike, the 2 kids still at home DD11 and DS16, and myself. It will be WEIRD! and awesome. We have been on the Wonder 4 times: 2 Mexican Rivera 7 nt cruises,(my favorite cruises so far) and a back to back last year. We have done the Magic once, 8 nt out of Galveston. Finally, we tried the Fantasy 7nt East Carib. We live in Alaska, and we are planning on staying a week in PR before we fly back. I love FE, so count us in!

it's official! We are on this cruise :) We had sworn after our last Disney cruise out of Galveston that we would NEVER cruise from Galveston again! And here we are........That trip taught us the importance of trip insurance, which we never cruise without now. Something we are doing different is staying in Houston and driving to the port that morning, and planning indoor activities. We just got off the Fantasy 2 weeks ago, and I wasn't sure I was going to book another Disney cruise next year, then we saw how reasonable we could get a 1 bedroom, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I'm hoping my DH likes it so much he decides we must book a suite every year :goodvibes I wasn't in love with the Fantasy. I thought we would all be blown away and honestly every one of us missed the Wonder. I did like the adult section, but my youngest for the first time ever, didn't like the EDGE!!! So instead of hanging out with the adults, I spent most of the time hanging with her. Also for the first time, the service we had was just okay. I loved our server, but the rest of the tipped staff was nothing to write home about. Not bad, but nothing special. Basically what I'd expect if we went to a nice restaurant. The adult entertainment was FANTASTIC! This was our 1st family vacation where my adult children outnumber the minor children, so we would all meet up at the Tube every night at 10pm. Tisa was hilarious and it was one of my favorite parts of our trip.
Anyway, about us: this is the first trip without the whole family. We have 6 kids,they are starting families, and on the cruise last month we had 10 of us. This cruise, just DH Mike, the 2 kids still at home DD11 and DS16, and myself. It will be WEIRD! and awesome. We have been on the Wonder 4 times: 2 Mexican Rivera 7 nt cruises,(my favorite cruises so far) and a back to back last year. We have done the Magic once, 8 nt out of Galveston. Finally, we tried the Fantasy 7nt East Carib. We live in Alaska, and we are planning on staying a week in PR before we fly back. I love FE, so count us in!
For our now official members, here is your official welcome.
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
I will add you to the roll call, and get you the PM for the FE.
I also was wondering if you would like to participate in the cabin crawl. I would love the opportunity to see a concierge suite.
I am excited to have another experienced cruiser on board. I can understand where you are coming from on the minor / adult child thing. On our last cruise, our adult son was able to come, but he and his girlfriend got their own room. It was weird to not all be in the same cabin.
He has booked for the this cruise, but only time will tell if he is able to go. He finishes college at the end of August, and hopefully will be started off at his new career by January. So, it will come down to whether or not he has a job, and whether or not they will let him take the time off. The vacation just wouldn't be the same without him. And would be our first vacation without the whole clan.
Congratulations on booking, and I hope Texas offers up a better cruise experience for you this time around. We sailed from Galveston on a Royal Caribbean, and were more than disappointed (especially with the port). Because of that experience, we were hesitant about the Black Friday sailing of the Wonder out of Galveston this past Nov. Now, we are so glad we kept our reservations. The sailing was awesome. Plus, the crew found a way to make a little bit of magic for each of us. I am looking forward to seeing them all again.
~Tink~

Our Galveston problems were almost all things we can mitigate. I wasn't expecting it to be so cold, even though sister in Texas told me it would be. It was actually colder there than back home in Alaska! We were fogged in on the return to port, didn't get in until after 3pm. Disney was great! I would have been totally fine to spend the extra time on the boat, if we didn't have a flight out at 5pm. Gtown- likes: the kids thought the waterpark was amazing, I think that will be on our must do. We ate at this little Mexican place that was fantastic and cheap! Another must do! Dislikes: you really must have a rental car, there wasn't a great list of hotels to choose from, there wasn't much to do there- we had to drive back to Houston. I think we may do 2days in Houston, then the day prior in Galveston. As far as the crawl, I'm totally game! I've never seen a suite either!!!

Our Galveston problems were almost all things we can mitigate. I wasn't expecting it to be so cold, even though sister in Texas told me it would be. It was actually colder there than back home in Alaska! We were fogged in on the return to port, didn't get in until after 3pm. Disney was great! I would have been totally fine to spend the extra time on the boat, if we didn't have a flight out at 5pm. Gtown- likes: the kids thought the waterpark was amazing, I think that will be on our must do. We ate at this little Mexican place that was fantastic and cheap! Another must do! Dislikes: you really must have a rental car, there wasn't a great list of hotels to choose from, there wasn't much to do there- we had to drive back to Houston. I think we may do 2days in Houston, then the day prior in Galveston. As far as the crawl, I'm totally game! I've never seen a suite either!!!
Sounds great (the cabin crawl that is). I will add you to the list. Funny thing, I was writing you about that when your post popped up!
I have a suggestion to add to your must do's in Galveston : La Kings Confectionery. We visited for the first time before our last cruise. It was like stepping back in time to an old fashioned candy shop with fresh made candy and an old soda jerk.

I came across this article, and thought it had some good information to help new and old cruisers alike when thinking about what you will need for shore excursions. I figured I could post the 10 pointers spread out over the next several days.
Here is tip #1 in the list of 'Things NOT to do on a Shore Excursion':
1. Dress inappropriately (again, this comes from a NOT to do list)
"No shoes, no shirt, no problems" is a fine lyric to live by if you're on the ship's pool deck or spending a day at the beach, but shore excursions require a little more effort when it comes to dressing appropriately. What you wear not only depends on the weather, but also the activity. Opt for sneakers instead of sandals on a tour that involves a lot of walking, or bring something to cover your knees and shoulders if you'll be visiting churches and mosques. Additionally, remove any valuable jewelry before heading into port. We've heard horror stories of cruisers damaging their bling or -- even worse -- losing it.

[SIZE=5 said:
1. Dress inappropriately (again, this comes from a NOT to do list)[/SIZE]
"No shoes, no shirt, no problems" is a fine lyric to live by if you're on the ship's pool deck or spending a day at the beach, but shore excursions require a little more effort when it comes to dressing appropriately. What you wear not only depends on the weather, but also the activity. Opt for sneakers instead of sandals on a tour that involves a lot of walking, or bring something to cover your knees and shoulders if you'll be visiting churches and mosques. Additionally, remove any valuable jewelry before heading into port. We've heard horror stories of cruisers damaging their bling or -- even worse -- losing it.

In St John we had just walked off the ship and my 18 yr old son took off his shirt. A port worker came up to him and told him to put it back on! He said shirtless is only ok on the beach- my son was so embarrassed. I love those kind of lessons ;)

In St John we had just walked off the ship and my 18 yr old son took off his shirt. A port worker came up to him and told him to put it back on! He said shirtless is only ok on the beach- my son was so embarrassed. I love those kind of lessons ;)
LOL!!!

Woo Hoo!
We just had our first planning party for this cruise!
Today's theme was 'Pack-a-Basket '. I now have an official packing list, have a few items already in the pack-a-basket, and have started organizing 1 days FE.
I feel like we are off to a good start.

Speaking of FE's I would like to add kiddos favorite color to the spreadsheet. If you have already sent me your info, could you send me a quick PM with you kiddos favorite colors. Thanks!

~ Tink ~

Hobby is closest, but I would go with a combination of which is cheaper to fly into, combined with which you can find a transfer from that coincides with your arrival time.
For those having to fly in before the cruise, there are some airport area hotels that offer a free shuttle to their location if you stay a night. And then there are shuttles that go to Galveston that will pick up at the hotel the next day. You would have to make sure to get an early shuttle if you are heading straight to the boat. You could also try to fly in early enough to get a shuttle to Galveston on your arrival day. You should be able to get a shuttle to take you to your hotel if you are in the day before. If you fly in on the 20th, I would recommend getting a very early flight. Yes, you can board as late as 3 PM, but on the flip side, boarding times start as early as 11:30. The earlier you board, the earlier your vacation starts.

~ Tink ~
Hobby is much more less stress the GB International. I fly through both airports all the time and no question if you can get a good price on southwest, the stress is less :-) IMHO anyway! We live in south TX so we'll just drive in and fly back from PR.

Hobby is much more less stress the GB International. I fly through both airports all the time and no question if you can get a good price on southwest, the stress is less :-) IMHO anyway! We live in south TX so we'll just drive in and fly back from PR.
We are also only having to fly back from PR. The struggle for us is figuring out the where to park dilemma.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter