Disney tips everyone should know

I have a question that will turn into a tip everyone should know. Heading to the world in January and had an idea how great it would be to grab some pictures of Magic Kingdom before opening. I know Crystal Palace opens at 8am. I was curious what time I could get into the park without a Crystal Palace ADR. I am a very early riser and thought how amazing it would be to wander magic kingdom before the crowds. DH and I did this in Tombstone Arizona, it was really neat to watch the town come alive around us. Thanks in advance for any info. DIS ROCKS!:cheer2:

The only way to get in to MK before the official opening is to have an early ADR. And they will check to make sure you're on the reservation list before allowing you through the gates. Everyone else is held between the entry gates and the train station until the official opening. :-(

I know when we went in 2001 we were able to get in the park about 30-45 minutes before the official opening. We could only wander on Main Street and up to the castle, though. The pathways to the "lands" were roped off until official opening time. We loved being able to wander around with very few people in the area. We have some pictures of our kids on Main Street with only a handful of other guests in the background.

Pack a good first aid kit!
My biggest regret from all our trips was that last year my mom didn't pack her medicated patches for pain. She got sciatica pain on day 6 of a 9 day vacation and was in bed for 2 days. She couldn't get the kind of patches she needs without a prescription :sad1:

Just got back and came across 1 thing that proved priceless and another that I figured would be common and yet several cast members (and guests) acted like I was a genius and stated that in 10+ years of working there they had NEVER seen!

#1 - My family goes to sporting events and with the new NFL stadium ruling of clear bags only I purchased a bag at Gillette Stadium that is "approved." Thinking it would make things easier for me, I packed it and used that bag every day as my park bag. Fit what I needed, had room to toss in some stuff I picked up during my daily travels. If you have to bring a bag into the parks and can go with a clear bag, this was PRICELESS. Multiple security guards at check points remarked on how THIS WAS THE BAG! My check throughs were much quicker than those with standard bags, purses, backpacks. A lot of the times security would pick it up, look through the plastic and not rummage through the insides. I had 1 security guard at Epcot actually hold up my bag for the crowd and yell "now THIS is a bag!" :rotfl2:

#2 - Do you know those address labels you get in the mail? Well, I always throw them in my travel case as I use them for return mailing or to enter drawings, etc. This way I don't have to write it every time I go somewhere. Well, I was having stuff sent back from a shop to my hotel room. I pulled out my sheet and used 4 (1 for each sheet as when you write it transfers through to 4 copies). This way I only had to add in minimal writing. The shop I made my purchase, the shop at my hotel when I picked up, as well as a couple guests nearby commented on how they had never seen that before and it was genius as it not only saved time but they could READ what the name and info was as a lot of people just don't have legible handwriting. Didn't think I was a trend setter but this just seemed so simple.

The only other tip I like to give people is be flexible. Many times we would bypass a ride due to a long wait time - over 20 minutes was usually our cutoff point and check back at a later time. We got on every ride, saw every show with minimal standing around time. Seven dwarfs mine train was a 20 minute wait on an EMH night for us while it was standard 120 minutes wait during the day. The last hour we usually got in a ton of rides as many people left after fireworks. Wait times posted were generally over estimated - a 30 minute wait was about 15-20.

Just got back and came across 1 thing that proved priceless and another that I figured would be common and yet several cast members (and guests) acted like I was a genius and stated that in 10+ years of working there they had NEVER seen!

#1 - My family goes to sporting events and with the new NFL stadium ruling of clear bags only I purchased a bag at Gillette Stadium that is "approved." Thinking it would make things easier for me, I packed it and used that bag every day as my park bag. Fit what I needed, had room to toss in some stuff I picked up during my daily travels. If you have to bring a bag into the parks and can go with a clear bag, this was PRICELESS. Multiple security guards at check points remarked on how THIS WAS THE BAG! My check throughs were much quicker than those with standard bags, purses, backpacks. A lot of the times security would pick it up, look through the plastic and not rummage through the insides. I had 1 security guard at Epcot actually hold up my bag for the crowd and yell "now THIS is a bag!" :rotfl2:

#2 - Do you know those address labels you get in the mail? Well, I always throw them in my travel case as I use them for return mailing or to enter drawings, etc. This way I don't have to write it every time I go somewhere. Well, I was having stuff sent back from a shop to my hotel room. I pulled out my sheet and used 4 (1 for each sheet as when you write it transfers through to 4 copies). This way I only had to add in minimal writing. The shop I made my purchase, the shop at my hotel when I picked up, as well as a couple guests nearby commented on how they had never seen that before and it was genius as it not only saved time but they could READ what the name and info was as a lot of people just don't have legible handwriting. Didn't think I was a trend setter but this just seemed so simple.

I've seen people using those clear backpacks and I was always surprised that *more* people don't use them to get through security faster. I think they're a great idea (assuming you don't mind thousands of people seeing everything you're carrying around. :rotfl:) I've also seen people using regular backpacks but putting everything in ziploc bags inside so they could just pull out the 2 clear bags when they got to the bag check. We've graduated to only carrying what fits in our pockets. Very liberating and no line at the "no bags" gate. :thumbsup2

I like the address label idea as well. I always keep a few in my pocket (used to use them on the photopass cards to make it easier to keep track of when there were people constantly shoving their cards at a photographer), but I never thought of using it on those shipping forms. I'll have to do that on our next trip!

You can send packages to the main gate? Is this for off-site guests? Is there a charge? And how long would it take to retrieve your items?

If you get a minor injury & need a bandaid or OTC meds, there is a First Aid station in each park. They do not charge for these things. If they don't have it there, they will give you the option of calling a service to deliver it to them for a $7 fee.

Bring an extension cord and NOT a power strip. The extension cord can be moved around while the powerstrip is in one place.

1. If you want to make an ADR for Breakfast at MK, do it super early. If MK opens at 8, you can start making ADRs at 7:05. If it opens at 9, you can make them at 8:05. However, if it opens at 9, but Extra Magic Hours start at 8, you can still only make reservations at 8:05. If you do this, you can get in the park earlier, and if you finish eating before the park is technically open, you can still go out and do things like take good pictures in front of the castle with nobody behind you, etc.

I'm not sure they do early ADRs in the other parks, but I know you can at Magic Kingdom.

2. If you want a spot for a parade or a firework show, especially a parade, get there and claim your spot 45 minutes to an hour early. I cannot tell you how ANNOYING it is, when I've been sitting somewhere for an hour with a great spot waiting patiently, and in the last 5 minutes a family comes and completely blocks my view. Me being a solo visitor, it happens all the time. I just get surrounded like I'm not even there. I once had a family get so close to me they were pushing into my back while I was sitting. I usually try to sit near a trash can for a parade so at least they can't do that on one side of me. But it is seriously rude when that happens, one of my biggest pet peeves in the parks.

Also, if you want to put your child on your shoulders, please be aware of your surroundings. I understand that the shorter child should be able to see, but make sure you aren't completely blocking someone else's view behind you. If I knew a child couldn't see , I would GLADLY offer for them to come stand in front of me because I know I could see over them no problem, but for a dad who is already at least a foot taller than me to come stand directly in front of me, to also have someone sitting on his shoulders to block the view even more, it's obnoxious.

Again, this just boils down to getting your spot earlier rather than later. Usually if you do that, everyone in your party will be able to see as well as the people around you.

3. Bring your own water bottles! Buying water in MK is expensive, just bring your own water bottles, and ask for cups of ice water which are normally free. Also, I recommend the Brita Water Filter bottles, so you can just ask for ice and get water from the water fountains, they work great and it saves some money.

Also, DRINK LOTS OF WATER, you don't want to be passing out on your vacation. Dehydration is a thing in Florida, especially when you are up and walking on your feet all day.

4. Always have an umbrella or a poncho, it could be perfectly sunny and then pouring rain 10 minutes later... Also, there is no button a cast member can press to turn off the rain. Sorry.

If it is raining, and the outdoor rides are closed, hit up the indoor ones. A lot of people just leave when it happens, but you should really stick it out. It's kind of fun if you don't mind being a little wet.

5. The 3 oClock parade is at precisely 3:00. But depending on where you are on the route, it could take a few minutes to get to your area, but yes, it DOES start at three p.m.

6. Cinnamon Rolls at Gaston's Tavern in New FantasyLand are a hidden gem. They're cheap and REALLY BIG. And also amazing.

7. Corn Dog Bites at Casey's Corner. That's all.

:)

I agree with all of these, especially drinking lots of water! Every time I stop for a meal or snack I get a free cup of ice water so that I don't have to spend a lot of money to stay hydrated.

I also want to emphasize that there's no need to rush around the parks from ride to ride. Disney World has such a great atmosphere that you'll miss out on if you're overly concerned with hitting every ride. Take a couple moments throughout the day to take a breather and check out your surroundings. People watch while you have a snack, hunt for hidden Mickeys, or do some pin trading so that you get more out of your Disney experience than just rides.

7. Spend the $$$ on Memory Maker so that you can be IN the photos.

THIS! Haven't been yet but I plan on taking advantage of this. My husband takes the WORST photos, lol, and so I am rarely in any vacation photos except some selfies. I am so excited to finally be in a ton of the photos with my family! Worth every. single. penny.

Or hand your camera to the photographer, they are more than happy to snap a picture for you if you ask nicely :thumbsup2

Or ask another guest. I always offer to take the picture when I see a family taking one & then will ask them to take one of us real quick. I've never had anyone say no :thumbsup2

1. Go to buffets early. It'll be less picked over and cleaner.
2. If you stay at one of the Deluxe resorts, don't forget to allow time to enjoy what they have on site. Sea Raycers, bike rides, movies on the beach, things like that. One of my favorite parts of my last trip was watching Mulan under the stars with my kids and a bunch of other people who were SO into it. And the Wilderness Lodge has a great Hidden Mickey Scavenger hunt that was more fun than the parks for my kids!
3. Buy dated ornament frames and photo albums from the Disney Store ahead of time. They sell out...I didn't get them when I was there, thinking I'd just get it at the Disney Store, and they ran out. :(
4. Also, Disney toilets sometimes flush with great gusto. Bring a pad of post-it notes to put over the sensor so that it doesn't flush prematurely and scare your little one to death.
5. Just take time to breathe. If you miss something, it's ok. There is a lot to see but some of the best times can be the ones you least expect.

1. Go to buffets early. It'll be less picked over and cleaner.
2. If you stay at one of the Deluxe resorts, don't forget to allow time to enjoy what they have on site. Sea Raycers, bike rides, movies on the beach, things like that. One of my favorite parts of my last trip was watching Mulan under the stars with my kids and a bunch of other people who were SO into it. And the Wilderness Lodge has a great Hidden Mickey Scavenger hunt that was more fun than the parks for my kids!
3. Buy dated ornament frames and photo albums from the Disney Store ahead of time. They sell out...I didn't get them when I was there, thinking I'd just get it at the Disney Store, and they ran out. :(
4. Also, Disney toilets sometimes flush with great gusto. Bring a pad of post-it notes to put over the sensor so that it doesn't flush prematurely and scare your little one to death.
5. Just take time to breathe. If you miss something, it's ok. There is a lot to see but some of the best times can be the ones you least expect.

Is this something available to join in even if you're not staying at Wilderness Lodge? My kids would LOVE that!

I always bring a pop up laundry hamper.
It folds flat in my suitcase. When we arrive at our resort, I put it in the corner of the room. Everyone throws their dirty clothes in there at the end of the day. When it is full, I put them in a big blue recycling bag somewhere in the room (under bed, in drawers, on top of shelf or wherever it fits)(not black so the maid can see it is clothes not garbage). Then when we go to leave the dirty clothes just go back in the suitcase in the bag (or split up into smaller bags between suitcases) so it doesn't stink up the suitcase. The hamper is $1 at Dollar Store. I have used it for 8 trips now.

- For those early ADR's or if you're running late, use a cab or Uber (don't know what Uber is? google it! It's kind of amazing AND your first ride is FREE... it's great for a really cheap/free ride to US/IOA. Our drive from AKL to US/IOA only costed us $5 including tip)
- Bring your own ponchos. Rain is unpredictable and can last from 10 minutes to an hour! Target sells emergency ponchos that are small and light for less that $2.
- I also agree with PP about staying hydrated! I cannot tell you enough times we've had to take breaks because we forgot to drink water.
- Also agree with everyone's tips on finding time to take breaks. This is your vacation! Don't make it a "work" only trip with walking miles and exhausting yourselves. Go with the flow. It's virtually impossible to do everything unless you do each park multiple days.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Live in the moment. Unplug and don't be those people who are only on their phones while waiting in lines. We've had some really memorable interactions with CM's, fellow guests and with each other while waiting in lines.

Dancing our way over to our happy place - Jan/Feb PTR 2015

Disneyland Resort 1993-2000 Passholder 2004-2014 Caribbean Beach Resort July 2001 Paradise Pier Resort 2009, November 2014 Grand Californian April 2010 Pop Century Sept 2012, Sept 2013 Disneyland Hong Kong July 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas & Universal's Cabana Bay Sept 2014 Pop Century & Disney Dream Feb 2015!!

Here is a tip from someone I got on these boards!

Bring more money and less stuff!

After years of lugging around a suitcase sized purse sometimes accompanied by a backback, - I realized it was NOT necessary. Now when we go into the park, I carry a camera - I open the waterproof rubber case when we go through the no bag line. In our pockets, we have a couple of pocket sized antibacterial wipes, a credit card, some cash, cell phone, a handkerchief, and a $1 store raincoat (they come prepacked so flat they fit in a back pocket.) Our wrist bands are our park tickets and hotel key. Every park has medical center so you don't need to carry aspirins,etc. NO makeup of any sort- really - between snacks, food and drinks, crazy water rides - It won't stay on anyway. My DH carries some of this stuff (not all), and adds a comb.
We usually have a leisurely breakfast in our room - cereal from home, milk from the hotel store, in room coffee. The buses from the resorts seem less crowded later in the morning when everyone is not trying to get there for park opening. But at least one morning of Mickey Waffles is a must. :)

If you rent a stroller from one of the off-site companies, make sure they send a rain conver. Here is the most important tip: Practice putting it on before it starts raining!

We got the rain cover and I even knew enough to put the cover on when we went into Test Track because it might be raining when we got out. Unfortunately, I put it on wrong and water leaked onto the seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter