Disney tips everyone should know

1. If you want to make an ADR for Breakfast at MK, do it super early. If MK opens at 8, you can start making ADRs at 7:05. If it opens at 9, you can make them at 8:05. However, if it opens at 9, but Extra Magic Hours start at 8, you can still only make reservations at 8:05. If you do this, you can get in the park earlier, and if you finish eating before the park is technically open, you can still go out and do things like take good pictures in front of the castle with nobody behind you, etc.

I'm not sure they do early ADRs in the other parks, but I know you can at Magic Kingdom.

:)

Tusker house at AK does this. ADR at 7am, you get prime parking at the front entrance to the park then walk straight to Tusker House. Enjoy the buffet and when you're done- you are right by the Safari and you can jump in line before the line gets long for the morning!

I have read on a Disney blog that at quick service restaurants, if something comes with a side salad, you can ask for no side salad (if you wish) and the price will be lowered. Also, opt for not bacon on a burger, I know bacon is delish, but it will shave some off the bill as well.

We always try to get the earliest flights to get to ORL, and the latest flights to leave. It gives you more time in the parks. I cannot leave WDW without one last gaze at Cinderella Castle! It also helps to get on the ME early before lines start forming at the airport. When you get to your resort, you can check in and store bags, and head to the parks and start enjoying the magic! They will send a text message when your room is ready and where your room/what your room # is. This way you can choose to go back, or continue your day, and your bags will be waiting for you when you go back to the room.

I know the park-hopper option is an added cost, but we always find it is a cost that is worth it. We will plan which days we are going to which parks, and depending on the EMH schedule, that is how we determine what park we will go to during the day, and which one we will go to at night for the shows and EMH. I also HIGHLY recommend early EMH at AK. More of the animals are out and about so head to Kilamanjaro Safari's first!

I absolutely LOVE Trail's End Buffett at FWC for breakfast! It is delicious and completely worth the price. We make sure we get an early reservation so that we have time to digest while transporting back to the park we are going to that day. It has some amazing "down-home" style foods that are a nice change from the breakfasts offered in the food courts at the resorts.

:-D

Memory maker was great. I suggest Lanacane anti-chafing gel. if your jeans get wet, it will help protect your skin from chafing, (as well as protect from walking around for 18 hours a day)

I keep seeing people saying they are subscribing but I can't figure out how??? Can someone direct me? I don't want to miss any great tips!:)

I keep seeing people saying they are subscribing but I can't figure out how??? Can someone direct me? I don't want to miss any great tips!:)

When you post on a thread, you're automatically subscribed. However, there's no need to post just to subscribe to a thread. Simply scroll up the page to the top of the posts...just below the advertisement block....and on the thin blue bar, you'll see "Thread Tools". Click on that and then click on "subscribe to thread". That's all there is to it -- no need to type "subscribe" as a response like many people seem to think they need to do. :)

Hello All, Wanted to share this tip for blisters. My DH used to get huge blisters on the first day. Not a good way to start a Disney vacation. After endless research found a tip that really works :woohoo: Get a bottle of New Skin or Liquid Bandage. Before you put your socks on apply 2 coats to area most likely affected. On a recent trip to Washington DC my DH tried this and after a full day of walking (more walking than we have ever done at Disney) No blisters :cool1: It comes in a small bottle so easy to put in your day bag and small enough to get through TSA at the airport. Thank you DIS Boards.

An odd trick that I do is get those little makeup sponges and cut them up and put them on over my bandaid with another bandaid.
Hope that makes sense.

I'm just back from my first every trip and my tip is LESS IS MORE!!! All the walking is crazy and I can't imagine carrying half of what I saw some people carrying!!! I carried a crossbody Disney Vera with as little in it as possible and at times it still felt heavy!!!

I'm just back from my first every trip and my tip is LESS IS MORE!!! All the walking is crazy and I can't imagine carrying half of what I saw some people carrying!!! I carried a crossbody Disney Vera with as little in it as possible and at times it still felt heavy!!!

I don't carry anything that can't fit in my pocket, so I never have to wait in line to have a bag checked. But I always pack a mini drug store full of meds. I am prepared for sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, asthma, and any stomach ailment!

I don't carry anything that can't fit in my pocket, so I never have to wait in line to have a bag checked. But I always pack a mini drug store full of meds. I am prepared for sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, asthma, and any stomach ailment!

I always pack a mini drug store of meds as well, but it stays in the room unless someone has a specific ailment when we're leaving the room in the morning. In that case, I'll throw a few doses of the appropriate meds in my pocket. Most of the shops in the parks carry a selection of OTC meds. They're not always out in the open though. Some places keep them under the counter or in a drawer. One day we needed tissues (of all things -- my daughter went through my supply in an hour that day) and I stopped at the little kiosk type store in The Land building and asked where I could buy tissues. The guy opened a drawer and it was full of OTC meds, tissues, etc. So if you don't see it, just ask!

I always pack a mini drug store of meds as well, but it stays in the room unless someone has a specific ailment when we're leaving the room in the morning. In that case, I'll throw a few doses of the appropriate meds in my pocket. Most of the shops in the parks carry a selection of OTC meds. They're not always out in the open though. Some places keep them under the counter or in a drawer. One day we needed tissues (of all things -- my daughter went through my supply in an hour that day) and I stopped at the little kiosk type store in The Land building and asked where I could buy tissues. The guy opened a drawer and it was full of OTC meds, tissues, etc. So if you don't see it, just ask!

You just lightened my theoretical park bag by a good deal. I'm the type to carry that mini drug store almost anywhere - the mall, to dinner, to work - but I wasn't looking forward to bringing a bag to do so in the parks. Thank you!

I should add something that's helped me with planning not one, but two upcoming family trips - Facebook groups. Normally I'm not someone who uses the site a lot, but it really helps having one place where I can post items that everyone can refer to so I'm not having to field repeated questions from everyone along the lines of "Wait, when do we need ADRs/FPs?"

Last edited:
You just lightened my theoretical park bag by a good deal. I'm the type to carry that mini drug store almost anywhere - the mall, to dinner, to work - but I wasn't looking forward to bringing a bag to do so in the parks. Thank you!

You're welcome! I used to carry a cross-body bag with everything we could possibly need while at one of the parks. It wasn't until I ran out of tissues (but had plenty of everything else!!!) that I realized that I didn't need to do that. Now we live by the "if it doesn't fit in a pocket, we don't need it in the parks" rule. It's so nice not to have to go through the bag check lines. I will say that those little packs of tissues cost me $1 each (when I normally pay $1 for several packs at the store), but I'd rather pay that premium price for something on the off chance I need it than to lug a little bit of everything around with me for the day. :)

Here's one I haven't seen listed yet.

Bring a lite sweater or long sleeve for those cold bus rides to and from the parks and those cold attractions.

Im a big boy so I love the cold, but my petite wife and kids almost freeze, especially when they've been outside all day in that 90+ degree weather and then jump into a 60 degree bus.

We took the kids two years ago for their first (our 2nd) disney experience. I found a few ways to make their experience better .
Before getting there I purchased them each their own gift card with $30 on it from the Disney store so if they wanted souvenirs they had the money and also had to decide how much they wanted it since they were spending their own money, worked great and I didn't have 3 kids asking for EVERYTHING they saw at each shop.I also purchased them each a princess or Minnie outfit on clearance to wear 1 day at Magic Kingdom on the day we went to princess breakfast.They loved this! From Party City I bought inexpensive disney trinkets and laid them out something each morning to discover including Minnie Mouse ears bought for about $5 less than the park charged. We heard alot about pin trading from others and how much fun it is for the kids especially (it was ! The kids and even us had a great time with this) so I bought some cheap lanyards at party city with princesses on them and to start everyone out I went to ebay and purchased a few bags of mixed lot pins they could use to trade. The pins they traded with cast members made not only great souvenirs but they had the experience of bartering and fun conversations meeting everyone and choosing which pins they wanted from the cast members.
Another thing I loved was finding and using Touring Plans , granted we went in late August but with that in hand and our fast passes we NEVER waited in line longer than 10 minutes. Look it up , it's great, you type in what you'd like to see/ride in each park each day , and it will organize your itinerary for the least amount of wait times and you can even schedule meals/breaks. We saw /did everything twice and had a few hours left over to just spontaneously wander.
I love all the others great tips and already found a good many to use if we get to go again.

http://touringplans.com/

Sometimes on retailmenot there are discount codes but usually only about $13 anyway for a year. Punch in what you'd like to see or do for the park and date you will be there. It will then line up your activities to do in the order with the least wait times.Print it out or use the app to follow the new streamlined itinerary. Also let's you know which parks are busiest at which days of the year as well as which times of the day and gives helpful tips (although the tips on Disboards are the BEST!!) I was so happy we did this , saved us from wondering which ride would be the least busy and we found the itinerary from them to be dead on , nothing worse than wandering around with excited kids who have no tolerance for waiting forever in line , or standing around while mom and dad decide where to go next. We didn't have hopper passes so it was important to get the most out of the day with the least amount of stress

THIS.

i can absolutely co-sign with touring plans--it makes ALL the difference when it comes to touring. also, i can say that if you have boys, it's a good idea to learn about the boy stuff that is all over the 'world'.
  • lego store in downtown disney--you can make a free build character on the first tuesday of the month! free souvenir!
  • pirate cruise--schedule this treasure hunt and sailing for about $37 per kiddo; a bargain compared to the bibiddi bobbity boutique, i assure you.
  • pirate's league--dress yer poppet in pirate gear! argh!
  • build-a-car--yes, you read that right. just like doing the build a bear, you can build a car. downtown disney. yes.
  • create a lightsaber at hollywood studios
  • become a padawan (young jedi in training) at hollywood studios
  • fishing, horseback riding, bicycling at fort wilderness
  • during father's day weekend (usually) they have the master's car show in downtown disney. great way to see some really cool muscle cars! and drink beer! hubby and son love this! (not the kiddo with beer though, he gets ROOT beer)
aaaaaannnnddd the list could go on. there are many obvious things boys could get into, but since this is about tips everyone should know, i wanted to chat about the lesser known things.

http://touringplans.com/

Sometimes on retailmenot there are discount codes but usually only about $13 anyway for a year. Punch in what you'd like to see or do for the park and date you will be there. It will then line up your activities to do in the order with the least wait times.Print it out or use the app to follow the new streamlined itinerary. Also let's you know which parks are busiest at which days of the year as well as which times of the day and gives helpful tips (although the tips on Disboards are the BEST!!) I was so happy we did this , saved us from wondering which ride would be the least busy and we found the itinerary from them to be dead on , nothing worse than wandering around with excited kids who have no tolerance for waiting forever in line , or standing around while mom and dad decide where to go next. We didn't have hopper passes so it was important to get the most out of the day with the least amount of stress

THIS.

i can absolutely co-sign with touring plans--it makes ALL the difference when it comes to touring. also, i can say that if you have boys, it's a good idea to learn about the boy stuff that is all over the 'world'.
  • lego store in downtown disney--you can make a free build character on the first tuesday of the month! free souvenir!
  • pirate cruise--schedule this treasure hunt and sailing for about $37 per kiddo; a bargain compared to the bibiddi bobbity boutique, i assure you.
  • pirate's league--dress yer poppet in pirate gear! argh!
  • build-a-car--yes, you read that right. just like doing the build a bear, you can build a car. downtown disney. yes.
  • create a lightsaber at hollywood studios
  • become a padawan (young jedi in training) at hollywood studios
  • fishing, horseback riding, bicycling at fort wilderness
  • during father's day weekend (usually) they have the master's car show in downtown disney. great way to see some really cool muscle cars! and drink beer! hubby and son love this! (not the kiddo with beer though, he gets ROOT beer)
aaaaaannnnddd the list could go on. there are many obvious things boys could get into, but since this is about tips everyone should know, i wanted to chat about the lesser known things.

When lines split in two (like in Pirates of the Carribean), go left. Most people go right. Also if you need to travel up or down Main Street during a parade, you can do so by going through the shops. They are all connected inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter