• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney offers new premium package for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

So what happened to Villains Soiree this year? Why did Disney decide not to do that this year?

So what happened to Villains Soiree this year? Why did Disney decide not to do that this year?

There were generally mixed revews from attendees last year (love it or hate it).

Combine that with the fact that "regular" party goers complained, and got refunds, because the locked the villians associated with vss into just the vss, after advertising they would be available at the regular party, and i think Disney decided to go in another direction.

There were generally mixed revews from attendees last year (love it or hate it).

Combine that with the fact that "regular" party goers complained, and got refunds, because the locked the villians associated with vss into just the vss, after advertising they would be available at the regular party, and i think Disney decided to go in another direction.

Interesting!! Thanks!!

I think that these kinds of conflicts and ambivalent feelings happen because the entire philosophy behind the upselling-parties is weird and hard to wrap your head around. You're charging everyone the same, high price for theme park admission. But on many days, you believe that you can boot out people after not giving them a full day's worth of rides and shows - and not refund them anything - and then let in people who've paid an extra premium, and give them more-or-less exactly what you should have given everyone as part of their admission anyways.

So it is understandable that some people without the party tickets will try to overstay their welcome, because (I suppose) they feel like being allowed to hang around the park for a FULL day is what their admission ticket entitles them to. It is not surprising that cast members don't feel all that motivated to seek out, confront and argue with people who have overstayed. They're not really trespassers, but they're sort of, kind of reverse gatecrashers or squatters ... an ambiguous infraction that was created out of thin air by Disney company fiat.

And it's also understandable that people who DID pay the upcharge are annoyed to see these reverse gatecrashers hanging around. But they also don't feel like trying to police the situation because (a) it's not their job, and (b) the whole concept is morally ambiguous. What did they really pay for? Some candy and hot chocolate? Or mostly just to watch a parade, fireworks show and get a few rides ... which people ordinarily do at MK in the evening anyways.

And on top of that problem, there's the problem of overselling something that was supposed to be a limited, premium event.

Here's a question - when the upcharge parties coincide with "busy days" on the schedule, will Disney charge people "gold day" admission and then kick them out early anyways? Or not kick them out, and just try to make them feel like heels ... try to wrap your head around that.

I get what you are saying, but to counter that, it's not like the "Park Hours" for that day aren't published. You should (or certainly could) know the hours PRIOR to going to the park that day. I know when we spend that kind of money on park admission, we certainly check the park hours to maximize our time. We generally don't get a "Hopper" so the park we go to that day is the park we stay at for the day. So if the park is closing at 7 PM today because of an event, then that is the day I chose to use a different park. Moreover, if I have tickets for the event (such as MVMCP) they allow you in at 4 PM without using a regular ticket for the day (only the special event ticket) so on those day, that would be our "Down Day" at the pool or DTD or something along that line and then come back to the Park for the event by 4 PM.

I can see that the park would be crowded from 4 PM until 7 PM and I accept that, but even the rides and the "meet and greets" (not just the parade) were crowded to the point that it was hard to tell there was a "Limited Ticket" event going on.

I too am paying Almost full park price (at about $80) for less than a full day. If you consider the special ticket allows me in at 4 PM (until 12AM), then I get 8 hours for $74 (plus tax). Opposed to the regular park goer getting (if they buy the most expensive MK 1 Day only ticket) 10 hours (9AM to 7PM) for about $105.00. So for the special event it's about 9.25/hour and the normal (most expensive) ticket is about that's about 10.50/hour (versus a normal full day of 9AM to 11PM at about $7.50/hour) . Also, not that it wouldn't happen but most people would NOT buy a 1 Day MK ticket on a limited park day.

So despite the CM's might not want to scurry those that didn't buy the tickets, it is the right thing to do. It, generally, should not be a surprise to anyone (or most people) as these events are announced well in advance.

Reactions: GWS

I think that these kinds of conflicts and ambivalent feelings happen because the entire philosophy behind the upselling-parties is weird and hard to wrap your head around. You're charging everyone the same, high price for theme park admission. But on many days, you believe that you can boot out people after not giving them a full day's worth of rides and shows - and not refund them anything - and then let in people who've paid an extra premium, and give them more-or-less exactly what you should have given everyone as part of their admission anyways.

So it is understandable that some people without the party tickets will try to overstay their welcome, because (I suppose) they feel like being allowed to hang around the park for a FULL day is what their admission ticket entitles them to. It is not surprising that cast members don't feel all that motivated to seek out, confront and argue with people who have overstayed. They're not really trespassers, but they're sort of, kind of reverse gatecrashers or squatters ... an ambiguous infraction that was created out of thin air by Disney company fiat.

And it's also understandable that people who DID pay the upcharge are annoyed to see these reverse gatecrashers hanging around. But they also don't feel like trying to police the situation because (a) it's not their job, and (b) the whole concept is morally ambiguous. What did they really pay for? Some candy and hot chocolate? Or mostly just to watch a parade, fireworks show and get a few rides ... which people ordinarily do at MK in the evening anyways.

And on top of that problem, there's the problem of overselling something that was supposed to be a limited, premium event.

Here's a question - when the upcharge parties coincide with "busy days" on the schedule, will Disney charge people "gold day" admission and then kick them out early anyways? Or not kick them out, and just try to make them feel like heels ... try to wrap your head around that.

I like what you said and I would have to agree with you on most points. I guess where I have the disconnect is the fact that Disney does close their park down earlier to the general public during certain times of the year. At Disneyland it will shut down earlier on many days in the month of June to allow for the "Grad Night" students (High School Students) to enter the park and stay for the entire night. Also Disney employees from the studio have two employee nights during the month of December, which they close Disneyland down early again for to allow only Disney employees in to enjoy a crowded free environment.
These dates are listed on there hours of operation so visiting guest will know if they bother to look.
Also other theme parks such as Knott's Berry Farm & Universal Studios (in California) both close their parks early on special event nights such as their Halloween nights and only those special ticket holders are allowed entry into the park.

Because of that from my perspective it can be done. If you asking the public to pay a premium for a "special" event then it should be special for only those who have stepped up and paid for that event, regardless if it is just cupcakes and candy. It is not like the ticket prices are 10 or 20 bucks per person, they are almost as much as a one day admission to the park. So for the people that "feel" that they are entitled to get their moneys worth on a special event in which they did not pay for, I do not blame them, I blame Disney for a poor job in which the special event was executed.

Hahaha, Josh Hendy, you got me going on a rant. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, but to counter that, it's not like the "Park Hours" for that day aren't published. You should (or certainly could) know the hours PRIOR to going to the park that day. ...

I too am paying Almost full park price (at about $80) for less than a full day ...

So despite the CM's might not want to scurry those that didn't buy the tickets, it is the right thing to do. It, generally, should not be a surprise to anyone (or most people) as these events are announced well in advance.

Caveat emptor and everything, but essentially Disney is splitting the park day in half and selling each half to a different set of people for the full (or nearly full) price.

I don't think that the blame goes on the guests for this one. Particularly galling is the dilution of the product by overselling the limited-edition party passes, then tossing an upsell onto the upsell. Would you say that the guests certainly should know that Disney will do this?

They can charge whatever the market will bear ... but there's the question of whether they'll eventually make a bad name for themselves. The American and World Master of deceptive upselling to tourists eventually became a joke and a byword ... you know how the song goes:

"It's a Barnum and Bailey world, just as phony as it can be."

But if Disney is looking for more ideas ...

egress.jpg

Understood that there have always been special occasions on which the parks close early ... but it seems like Disney is straining pretty hard to maximize the number of days per year on which this is applicable.

It amounts to a disguised extra inflation of the admission prices. We know that Disney gets beat up pretty badly for overall, regular, full-day admission price increases ... not just here among fans but even in the main stream. So they are desperate to avoid that pummeling to the point where they're tying their schedules and pricing structure in knots and gradually, bit by bit, making their customers question the value of what they're getting and the integrity of the company.

Trying to weasel around and avoid giving the public the impression that real inflation is a lot worse than the BLS pretends is in the end a losing strategy for companies IMHO.

Understood that there have always been special occasions on which the parks close early ... but it seems like Disney is straining pretty hard to maximize the number of days per year on which this is applicable.

It amounts to a disguised extra inflation of the admission prices. We know that Disney gets beat up pretty badly for overall, regular, full-day admission price increases ... not just here among fans but even in the main stream. So they are desperate to avoid that pummeling to the point where they're tying their schedules and pricing structure in knots and gradually, bit by bit, making their customers question the value of what they're getting and the integrity of the company.

Trying to weasel around and avoid giving the public the impression that real inflation is a lot worse than the BLS pretends is in the end a losing strategy for companies IMHO.

Just a point of reference:

There are fewer mnsshp this year than there were last year.

I was talking with an acquaintance of mine who works on costuming at Disney and he was saying that everyone involved with MNSSHP is really focused on the new show and the Sanderson Sisters. As a result some of the other projects and extras took a backseat. So that might have played a part in they not doing the Soiree and opting for a simpler Halloween overlay on the normal dessert viewing party.

I was talking with an acquaintance of mine who works on costuming at Disney and he was saying that everyone involved with MNSSHP is really focused on the new show and the Sanderson Sisters. As a result some of the other projects and extras took a backseat. So that might have played a part in they not doing the Soiree and opting for a simpler Halloween overlay on the normal dessert viewing party.
Yes Holiday shows are supposed to be very good this year.

I think that these kinds of conflicts and ambivalent feelings happen because the entire philosophy behind the upselling-parties is weird and hard to wrap your head around...............

You are correct. Their ticket entitles them to a full day. A full day is what Disney has posted as normal park hours for that day. On party days a full day ends at 7 pm.

Hours are posted way in advance. On party days those hours end at 7 pm. Therefore their ticket expires at 7 pm. It was their decision to go to the park on a day that it closes at 7 pm, party or no party. Disney parks hours vary by day, by week, by season. There should be no expectation that you are due more park time than the hours posted.

Well tonight I went in and checked every single party night for parties of 1, 2, and 4, and there's not a single ticket to a dessert party left, so I don't know why they're even leaving that page up or promoting it any longer.

I'm amused here...while everyone had valid points...

Nobody is bringing up a couple points:
1. Perhaps the regular price of a day ticket has risen to the point that the customer doesn't feel compelled to leave after 10 hours if the park is still operating...no matter what their app and bracelet says. That's only gonna grow with gold, silver, bauxite, etc. pricing.
2. Disney park employees are not trained, nor compensated to be security guards or bouncers that should ever realistically be tasked with park ejections. I could go into the "Disney history/tradition/way" diatribe... But it seems unnecessary.
3. The Halloween/Christmas parties should be extensions...and now that the crowds have been pushed into those time periods or have naturally risen - they are out of whack. If the normal October or November calendar dictates a 9 pm close for mk, then that's when they should start. By putting it after close - they're not for infants and toddlers due to laws of nature anyway.

You can put all the rules and restrictions in small print on the webpage or the bottom of pamphlets all you want... But at somepoint the "economic laws of nature" kick in.

These things have always been a slippery slope/snowball potential.

Hmm, I do believe I'm going to pass on this one. Disney Company sure seems to like their expensive "exclusive" parties, I guess people are buying into them too. Easy money I guess, more power to them.

I totally agree with everything Josh Hendy said. We started attending the parties in 2009 when we joined DVC. While I've always noticed cast members herding non-party goers out of the park, I've seen a huge increase in crowds. Every year it's gotten worse. I personally think it has nothing to do with the cast members not making the non-party goers leave....and everything to do with Disney overselling the event. I think they've begun to maybe get a little greedy and are packing people in there. It's really starting to affect the quality of the product they're selling.

Well tonight I went in and checked every single party night for parties of 1, 2, and 4, and there's not a single ticket to a dessert party left, so I don't know why they're even leaving that page up or promoting it any longer.

Because that is likely to change as folks change their plans. As soon as it was announced I booked it knowing it would sell out. I don't even have my party tickets. We usually do two parties on our trip and since there are 5 offered, I have not decided. I was waiting for reviews but now we think we may pass altogether and go to Universal that day. New availability. I'm sure there are others like me.

I would never watch HalloWishes from there. As my favorite fireworks show (behind Fantasy In the Sky of course), I would take my cupcakes elsewhere.
Bring your own cup cakes. Wonder how many you can buy/bake for $69.00. I'll take my $69.00 to Shula.

I totally agree with everything Josh Hendy said. We started attending the parties in 2009 when we joined DVC. While I've always noticed cast members herding non-party goers out of the park, I've seen a huge increase in crowds. Every year it's gotten worse. I personally think it has nothing to do with the cast members not making the non-party goers leave....and everything to do with Disney overselling the event. I think they've begun to maybe get a little greedyand are packing people in there. It's really starting to affect the quality of the product they're selling.

I would say a lot greedy. Brings to mind P.T. Barnum's favorite saying.

. I think they've begun to maybe get a little greedy and are packing people in there.

Maybe? LOL

I for one, am very glad there is no VSS this year... and I hope it never returns as part of MNSSHP. Let them make it a completely separate event at a resort restaurant or at another park (character dining).

Last edited:
Dining @ Kona on Halloween - will watch Wishes from someplace there. With $240 plus admission I can buy a couple of Nautileses or bottles of Champagne.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter