• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney offers new premium package for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

We love the premium add ons and I will always be willing to pay more for Disney convenience. Why would we not want those kind of experiences?

If it only seats 170, what is the uproar about? Don't be one of those 170 paying customers. Disney isn't saying you can't enjoy the same parade, they are just saying you need to stake out seats the way people have been doing it since the 70s.

And I always chuckle when I read how Walt would be appalled. Walt knew with Club 33 that people like luxury and exclusivity along with his "all inclusive" theme park.

We love the premium add ons and I will always be willing to pay more for Disney convenience. Why would we not want those kind of experiences?

If it only seats 170, what is the uproar about? Don't be one of those 170 paying customers. Disney isn't saying you can't enjoy the same parade, they are just saying you need to stake out seats the way people have been doing it since the 70s.

And I always chuckle when I read how Walt would be appalled. Walt knew with Club 33 that people like luxury and exclusivity along with his "all inclusive" theme park.
Yes Walt had the idea for club 33 but it wasn't opened until free his death. Club 33 is not like a premium add on club 33 is a high class place that was supposed to be for Walt to bring in people for business deals and such. Club 33 membership costs upwards of $25,000. Premium ticket add ones are becoming more and more common. In Walts days and even up until the 90s they really didn't do add ons much.

Understood that there have always been special occasions on which the parks close early ... but it seems like Disney is straining pretty hard to maximize the number of days per year on which this is applicable.

It amounts to a disguised extra inflation of the admission prices. We know that Disney gets beat up pretty badly for overall, regular, full-day admission price increases ... not just here among fans but even in the main stream. So they are desperate to avoid that pummeling to the point where they're tying their schedules and pricing structure in knots and gradually, bit by bit, making their customers question the value of what they're getting and the integrity of the company.

Trying to weasel around and avoid giving the public the impression that real inflation is a lot worse than the BLS pretends is in the end a losing strategy for companies IMHO.

Excellent points and to add to them, all those saying "Disney can keep raising prices because they are getting record attendance" are wrong. Disney’s reliance on a “attendance keeps going up no matter how much we raise ticket prices” policy is frankly based on myths: experts don’t put much faith in official Disney attendance figures, since Disney has already let it slip that a lot of said “record attendance” is based on people using annual passes and non expiration date tickets, which don’t generate new ticket revenue. Research also shows that most repeat visitors tend to not generate as much revenue in the food and souvenir departments as first timers.

If you're equating the "villians soirée" or illuminations on the boat ramp to club 33...I got some magic beans to sell you.

And there's never been such a thing as "Disney convenience"...
The "convenience" was everyone getting the same treatment for paying the same price... With the option of varied food price and the associated convenience or benefit respectively.

And it worked fine and created the highest quality, most profitable amusement parks the world has ever seen for exactly the first 50 years.

If you want the reality...if not - dream on.

If you're equating the "villians soirée" or illuminations on the boat ramp to club 33...I got some magic beans to sell you.

And there's never been such a thing as "Disney convenience"...
The "convenience" was everyone getting the same treatment for paying the same price... With the option of varied food price and the associated convenience or benefit respectively.

And it worked fine and created the highest quality, most profitable amusement parks the world has ever seen for exactly the first 50 years.

If you want the reality...if not - dream on.
Well, obviously the business model has changed. Whether it is the convenience of experience when you aren't scrambling for a seat (dessert party), or fireworks view (yacht rental), or lounger (cabana) or a fast pass (vip guide) the premium add ons are providing a great experience for those willing to splurge. I am always happy to see any new offerings. I'm quite aware of what Club 33 is, thanks.

I would say if either...it's closer to the latter. But honestly I don't necessarily find either "objectionable"...more that the consumers buy them repeatedly with no accountability to quality control or value.

They are most definitely more expensive for less quality...

As little
Debbie has proven. And no...you came use "inflation" to defend all price gouging.

I mean...you just pretty much described the majority of Disney offerings at WDW. From hotel rooms, to meals, to merchandise.

It's all more expensive for "less quality" (if, by less quality, you mean you could drive outside "the gates" and find better quality for far less). That's been true for a very, very, very long time (and I know you know that).

I'm just curious why this SPECIFIC offering has your hackles up. Other than the "they're targeting the upper income demo with more spare capacity and offering them more than the traditional day guest" point, which I totally agree with.

At it's core, it's a Wishes desert party, with parade viewing. They offer the party every night there's fireworks, and during the Xmas party, and have for awhile, I think. The only difference is, in this case, they're giving you an additional FP+ (which, agreed, isn't available any other way) to see the parade.

To accountability: I think it's too early to say, absent reviews, for this particular offering. Disney may be "held accountable" if the reviews are bad and there are mass cancellations. For us, the "quality" doesn't have to be on the plate, or buffet (because, to us, that's a secondary offering to, literally sweeten the pot). It has to be in the check in and herding processes. I actually think THIS offering is much more susceptible to that accountability than the VSS was. The VSS had character interaction behind a paywall...and THATS what a lot of folks were paying for. The quality of the rest of the offerings were secondary. It's a lot harder to judge that interaction in a review (esp since it can literally change, party to party, on a given night). You saw that in the very mixed reviews from last year. THIS years offering....either the view is good or it's not (and the fireworks view is a "known" since it just adopts the Wishes desert party view). Either the check in process is smooth or it's not. Either the herding process from parade to the Terrace is smooth, or it's not. If it's not, I suspect you'll see LOTS of folks cancelling their ressies. I'd say that's pretty decent accountability, in terms of what Disney tends to offer.

Sounds like a blast, but spending $1,000 on a few hours would really put a dent in our trip budget. Tix to the party cost $600 (on the cheaper nights) and this looks to be over $400 after tax. Seems like they have these add ons for almost everything now. Didn't I read they are doing something similar for the Osbourne Lights, too?

I remember back in 2006 when you could sit in the tomorrow land terrace to watch it for free lol. It's an awesome viewing spot. Personally I love doing the dessert parties, have done them several times. It's worth it just to not have to fight the crowd.

I mean...you just pretty much described the majority of Disney offerings at WDW. From hotel rooms, to meals, to merchandise.

It's all more expensive for "less quality" (if, by less quality, you mean you could drive outside "the gates" and find better quality for far less). That's been true for a very, very, very long time (and I know you know that).

I'm just curious why this SPECIFIC offering has your hackles up. Other than the "they're targeting the upper income demo with more spare capacity and offering them more than the traditional day guest" point, which I totally agree with.

At it's core, it's a Wishes desert party, with parade viewing. They offer the party every night there's fireworks, and during the Xmas party, and have for awhile, I think. The only difference is, in this case, they're giving you an additional FP+ (which, agreed, isn't available any other way) to see the parade.

To accountability: I think it's too early to say, absent reviews, for this particular offering. Disney may be "held accountable" if the reviews are bad and there are mass cancellations. For us, the "quality" doesn't have to be on the plate, or buffet (because, to us, that's a secondary offering to, literally sweeten the pot). It has to be in the check in and herding processes. I actually think THIS offering is much more susceptible to that accountability than the VSS was. The VSS had character interaction behind a paywall...and THATS what a lot of folks were paying for. The quality of the rest of the offerings were secondary. It's a lot harder to judge that interaction in a review (esp since it can literally change, party to party, on a given night). You saw that in the very mixed reviews from last year. THIS years offering....either the view is good or it's not (and the fireworks view is a "known" since it just adopts the Wishes desert party view). Either the check in process is smooth or it's not. Either the herding process from parade to the Terrace is smooth, or it's not. If it's not, I suspect you'll see LOTS of folks cancelling their ressies. I'd say that's pretty decent accountability, in terms of what Disney tends to offer.

Spot on- we would've paid the $$$ for VSS this year just to meet our favorite villains. We have a reservation for the dessert party at mnsshp this year, but I'm waiting to see what the process is like for parade viewing and firework viewing. If it's a mess, I'll cancel and stake out a spot like we did at mvmcp last year.

I remember back in 2006 when you could sit in the tomorrow land terrace to watch it for free lol. It's an awesome viewing spot. Personally I love doing the dessert parties, have done them several times. It's worth it just to not have to fight the crowd.
You could still sit there for mnsshp in 2014 for free!

I realize that some people are tired of the slippery slope argument but I think that it applies here. I can see Disney splintering away various offerings and then selling them at an upcharge. I would prefer to believe that they wouldn't do that but I'm not convinced that it's not a consideration.

I realize that some people are tired of the slippery slope argument but I think that it applies here. I can see Disney splintering away various offerings and then selling them at an upcharge. I would prefer to believe that they wouldn't do that but I'm not convinced that it's not a consideration.

This year...they actually slipped BACKWARDS (or, uphill, I guess) compared to last years offerings at the VSS.

When they get there (or get closer to it), we can worry about it, IMHO. This? This seems like an innocuous offering of convenience that doesn't actually INCONVENIENCE, or take anything away from, the other party guests. It's actually NOT doing what you're worrying about...because the parade and fireworks are still equally accessible (and some would argue, preferentially viewed from other spots, anyway) to the regular party guests. They offer a version of it (sans reserved parade viewing spot...though you can get that via FP+, which is not available at the parties) pretty much every night they offer fireworks, year round.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter