• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic Renovations CONFIRMED

HOW are they going to do all this work in 6 weeks? I can't imagine that is enough time to do all of this! :confused3

It is amazing the amount of work that can be done in 6 weeks. Just remember for over a year now, all the designing, engineering and manufacturing of the parts has been going on and will be at the selected shipyard and ready to be installed onboard!

For a long time, like years, professionals have been onboard, inspecting every little thing to make sure all is on the list for work as required. remember their is a lot of engine, mechanical inspections, renewals and repairs required, that are not on that list. I would also bet their maybe some additional surprises coming down the channel!

Wouldn't you love to get some of the panels and furniture and stuff they are tearing out and dumping!

There will be a army of workers there ready to swarm onboard, in a very organized *disorder*. 24/7w

AKK

There will be a army of workers there ready to swarm onboard, in a very organized *disorder*. 24/7w

AKK

I also assumed they would be working 24-7 around the clock, which it looks like you've confirmed :)

(And yes, I'd love to get some stuff - I have 2 old DCL lounge chairs from the Magic or Wonder on my lanai as we speak!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I also assumed they would be working 24-7 around the clock, which it looks like you've confirmed :)

(And yes, I'd love to get some stuff - I have 2 old DCL lounge chairs from the Magic or Wonder on my lanai as we speak!!!)

I wish I could get items as well! How did you get the lounge chairs? pirate:

These are my fully developed thoughts on the redesigns.

1) The Atrium
I like the brightness this space has. The new curtains are very nice as well. At first, I was weary of the removal of the starboard stairwell, but I now feel that it was a good design move. The new carpet on the stairs is simply too blue, overwhelmingly so. Similarly, the main floor carpet does not seem to fit in the space. I feel it would look better with Ariel, on the Wonder.
On to my biggest disappointment in the space, the chandelier. The rendered chandelier looks horrid, to be honest. It does not seem to flow with the rest of the space. I am shocked that the Festa Venezia I is being removed, though a tad dark at times; I feel with minor lighting adjustments it could be made brighter and more inviting.

2) The Adult district
Keys and O'Gills look amazing. I believe they will be very popular.
I am not sure how I feel about Fathoms. I like the space, but the renderings make it look dark and smokey. I think this is just the rendering and the space will be very nice in completion.

3) AquaLab
This area looks very fun! However, I am not sure why the Mickey pool is being removed. The blue deck treatment looks similar to pool decks on other cruise lines(Royal Caribbean International, for example), and I am not impressed. I feel something different could have been done here that would keep the classic feel and incorporating modern details.

4) The Youth Spaces
The club and lab renderings look amazing! I would have loved to play in these spaces as a child. Good job! I would like to see what is being done in the teen and tween area as well.

5) Carioca's
The first rendering I saw was overwhelmingly white. However, the evening render looks warmer and the central light fixtures being on helps with the white. A friends of mine commented that the costumes were very shocking, and I agree. Perhaps subtler colours could be used. Overall, I like this redesign.

6) AquaDunk
I am shocked that the decision was made to add this type of slide to the Magic.I feel the slide, though red, will take away from the aesthetic lines of the ship. I like the idea of the slide; it looks really fun, but it's placement in questionable. Much like the Dream and Fantasy, more supports will be used than rendered and there will be a lot of clutter in front of the funnel. I feel this slide, or derivative, could be placed without ruining the lines of the ship.

7) Other spaces not rendered
I am perplexed at the change from Studio Sea to D-Lounge. I am not sure why this change is needed. I would like to warn against creating the same spaces on all four ships, as each should have her own unique character. The same can be said for the redesign of Animator's Palette. I like the new design on the Dream and Fantasy as well as the original design on the Magic and Wonder. Upgrades are needed, but I don't feel that the design should be changed to be just like the Dream and Fantasy. Some variation is needed.
I would like to believe that the Walt Disney Theatre will be receiving some TLC during this dry dock as well. A complete redesign is not necessary, but maybe new upholstery, or something, just to refresh the space.
The rendering of the spa I saw was amazing; it looked very calming and welcoming.

Overall, I like the designs, but I feel that not all angles were looked at carefully enough. pirate:

Finally a plus for being short!!!:rotfl2: Both of my teenagers and myself would be able to ride it. :goodvibes The AquaDunk is maybe a little intense for me, but perfect for DH...so we would all be happy!

I hope they let adults ride it; those are the same restrictions for all of the Mickey slides on all four DCL ships, but there is an age restriction as well. I think it's 12 years old? I'll have to look for a pic of the sign.

I hope they let adults ride it; those are the same restrictions for all of the Mickey slides on all four DCL ships, but there is an age restriction as well. I think it's 12 years old? I'll have to look for a pic of the sign.

No way. If this adult can't ride it, no adults can ride Twist n Spout. Ha ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I don't get the height restrictions on the new Mickey slide. The press conference stated that "everyone" would be able to use this slide. Then one article mentions up to 5'4'' ... I'm just slightly over that height. I don't understand the difference. Seems to me, if they want a child slide, make a small child slide and then a family slide. All the resort pool slides have no restriction, why is it any different on the ship?

I don't get the height restrictions on the new Mickey slide. The press conference stated that "everyone" would be able to use this slide. Then one article mentions up to 5'4'' ... I'm just slightly over that height. I don't understand the difference. Seems to me, if they want a child slide, make a small child slide and then a family slide. All the resort pool slides have no restriction, why is it any different on the ship?

That's the way it is on the Dream/Fantasy - Mickey slide for up to 64" and up to age 12; so kids. Aquaduck is 54" for single rider or 42" to be a ride along.

Yes, they did call it a family slide, but the press release from DCL lists the restrictions.

I am surprised this is conjuring up such a debate! Reminds me of shorts in the dining room! Eek!!

I am 5'0 .... so does that mean I can use it? :rotfl:

I am guessing "no"... if it wasn't for my grey hair and slightly larger derriere I might be able to pass for a kid! :rotfl2:

A bottle of hair dye and a diet and I am set!! ;)

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I really don't like the idea of the red and white striped poles in Palo. I know they have them all over Venice, but I think they'll look like candy canes, which I don't think is a good look for an upscale adult restaurant.

Alright!!! I finally have an advantage to barely clearing 5'3"!!!!

:banana:

Anyone know the menu for the new restaurant. Will it be a Brazilian steakhouse?

The Disney Cruise Line blog has an article with a few items they might have at the new restaurant, including drinks and a yummy looking dessert. I'm excited to try them!!! We are on the first two cruises after dry dock so I'm pretty pumped - it's *almost* like being on a Maiden Voyage!!!!

The Disney Cruise Line blog has an article with a few items they might have at the new restaurant, including drinks and a yummy looking dessert. I'm excited to try them!!! We are on the first two cruises after dry dock so I'm pretty pumped - it's *almost* like being on a Maiden Voyage!!!!

They didn't focus on vegetarian dishes...sigh. I do hope the vegetarian offering at Cariocas is better than the ones they are currently serving. And I really hope Disney adds a simple pasta dish with marinara to the everyday offering (currently either chicken or steak or something like that).

Loving the new eCompass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter