• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird week for Disney ships. We had originally planned the Fantasy and then switched to the Wonder S. Caribbean. We had a mechanical issue also. We did muster drill and sail away and never left the port. It was announced that do to some "maintenance problems" we'd be late leaving. By the time we sailed it was after 10 and I never made the shops on opening night because they couldn't open until after I was asleep.

This part bothers me, I don't like the idea that Disney was not sharing enough info and that passengers were worried for their safety. It does freak me out a little as disasters do happen and you're out there in the big deep ocean with your family/children who are depending on you to keep them safe. But I will say that the people on this board only had information that was shared by passengers on the ship on twitter; presumably they did get some actual info from Disney rather than just rumors. Still, clearly Disney was not sharing information well or reassuring people if you felt unsafe.

There was no safety issue, the ship was still underway and in no danger. I don't understand this idea that every passenger should receive a full debrief giving them full details of the problem.

Last edited:
Tonka's Skipper is correct as I know the facts. They may operate lower than 21 knots cruising speed schedule permitting. For example on my last Eastern cruise our 2 day sail into CC from San Juan we were running at 16 knots.

Very true, run slower, save fuel and money. Another time they run nice and slow is Nassau to CC.

AKK

Weird week for Disney ships. We had originally planned the Fantasy and then switched to the Wonder S. Caribbean. We had a mechanical issue also. We did muster drill and sail away and never left the port. It was announced that do to some "maintenance problems" we'd be late leaving. By the time we sailed it was after 10 and I never made the shops on opening night because they couldn't open until after I was asleep.

Folks these are big highly technical machines and sometimes something happens hat needs attention. Maintenance problems is just that, something needed attention. Quite often there are items, areas, that cannot checked until the engines are stopped, if something requiring attention is discovered during routine inspection after they docked and the engines were shut down, the repair/adjustment, whatever is done, sometimes is takes time.

I am sorry you didn't make the shops the first night, but I am much happier knowing they were handled in a proper manner, waited a the dock and sailed safe.

AKK

I wish I had a dollar for every cruise I've been on that missed a port for one thing or another.
Ship happens.
:coffee:
Sounds to me that Disney extended fair customer service given they didn't have to offer anything at all!
Those that actually sailed on this sailing seem satisfied .. While so many that weren't are showing their greed. Sad. I don't know where some get such dreams of entitlement.

This part bothers me, I don't like the idea that Disney was not sharing enough info and that passengers were worried for their safety. It does freak me out a little as disasters do happen and you're out there in the big deep ocean with your family/children who are depending on you to keep them safe. But I will say that the people on this board only had information that was shared by passengers on the ship on twitter; presumably they did get some actual info from Disney rather than just rumors. Still, clearly Disney was not sharing information well or reassuring people if you felt unsafe.

What is enough information?......other then explaining they could not make CC and had a engine problem, she was underway as near full speed and the Master advised everyone of that. FRANKLY at he start of the engine problem it is likely the engineers were breaking down the electric motor and determining just what went wrong and what was required to put things right.

We here on the Dis know very well how rumors start and get blown up as things are repeated. Passengers spreading their own rumors on a social media are doing the same thing.

How much technical info does a passenger need?.....when does it stop?...and how many wrong conclusions would some passengers draw from to much information and cause additional, wrong rumors.

Taking a cruise, a air flight, train ride and even just going to a theme park, involves using some common sense not to be worried at anything that happens. There are risks involved, and almost always is some minor thing. In this case it seems DCL did just what they should have.

AKK

Folks these are big highly technical machines and sometimes something happens hat needs attention. Maintenance problems is just that, something needed attention. Quite often there are items, areas, that cannot checked until the engines are stopped, if something requiring attention is discovered during routine inspection after they docked and the engines were shut down, the repair/adjustment, whatever is done, sometimes is takes time.

I am sorry you didn't make the shops the first night, but I am much happier knowing they were handled in a proper manner, waited a the dock and sailed safe.

AKK
I didn't care at all. As long as they didn't kick me off the ship I was good.

100 MPH winds wow. Maybe theyll get cruise credit, doubtful to be honest. On my honeymoon cruise we got hit with terrible weather and couldn't dock at 2 of the Ports, felt the huge waves hitting the side of the ship at night, and we were not compensated anything.

My cousins are currently on the ship. So far they got their mini bars comped during the ordeal where they were stuck in there rooms from 3-11pm with no food.

Ah see this one actually could have been anything from an actual maintenance issue (something is wrong) to someone whose job it is to do preventative maintenance didn't finish their job in time for some reason (maybe someone called out and they were short staffed) and they just had to finish up, to someone saw something they weren't sure was a problem and needed to get someone to check that it really wasn't or trouble shoot.

This one for a car analogy would be like having the check engine light come on in your car. That light can mean anything from your car is on its last legs and the engine is about to die to you forgot to tighten your gas cap. I'm sure ships have a few indicators like that as well. It turned out to be one of the easily fixable things and you went on your way.

I had a plane issue like that once. We all get on the plane and during the check some light is on. They tell everyone and my coworker looks up the light (they named it but I don't remember) he is telling me how that is basicially like a check engine light. Well someone suggested that they restart the plane. So they get everyone off (you can't restart the plane with passengers on it apparently the plane has to have power to have passengers by law) restart and everything is fine so we go on our way, 45 min late but otherwise uneventful. It was a 4 hour flight so they made up some of the time in the air and we landed 15 min late and everyone was happy.

Something to keep in mind, Hurricane force winds can happen anywhere at any time of the year.

The only difference is Hurricane winds blow left handed and other Storm winds blow right handed.

AKK

Those were some scary looking waves, I feel sorry for all on board. They must have been quite alarmed.
Glad everyone's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter