Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not valid. if you want to compare, Castaway Cay is the park. Magic Kingdom is the park. Castaway Cay is not a two minute ride.

I'm going to estimate length of a 7 night cruise is approximately 164 hours (noon embarkation day to 8:00am disembarkation day). The hours normally spent at CC are approximately 7. That means the hours at CC are 4.3% of the length of the cruise. So this Fantasy cruise had approximately 4.3% of their entire cruise affected by this. And it's not as if they completely missed out on 4.3% of their cruise. There was a sea day with plenty of activities and food in place of the 7 hours on CC. The compensation the cruisers received was above and beyond what DCL had to do and not at all comparable to what the RCL passengers experienced.

I'm going to estimate length of a 7 night cruise is approximately 164 hours (noon embarkation day to 8:00am disembarkation day). The hours normally spent at CC are approximately 7. That means the hours at CC are 4.3% of the length of the cruise. So this Fantasy cruise had approximately 4.3% of their entire cruise affected by this. And it's not as if they completely missed out on 4.3% of their cruise. There was a sea day with plenty of activities and food in place of the 7 hours on CC. The compensation the cruisers received was above and beyond what DCL had to do and not at all comparable to what the RCL passengers experienced.
Sorry just dont agree with your calculations

Sure it is, the passengers still were fed, had beds, activities etc. They missed one port and it was a sea day instead.
Sorry we are just going to have to disagree on this. For me, using your comparison, castaway cay=magic kingdom, slide/ something similar at castaway cay=ride at magic kingdon. Castaway cay is not a three minute ride.

Sorry just dont agree with your calculations

So how would you quantify what the impact was? Certainly you have to see that there is a difference between the Fantasy cruisers missing out on CC and the Anthem of the Seas cruisers who are missing out on pretty much their entire cruise?

So if you miss a port or are late arriving to a port, you feel the cruise line should provide you with compensation?
Depends. Weather related no. Mechanical yes, but I would never ask for compensation in any of these cases. I would note it, however.

Some people would not enjoy the rest of the cruise knowing the ship had mechanical issues. So if you went on with your day and a magical sea day good for you but it wasn't the case for everyone.

My apologies if you already mentioned this, but I am wondering what you feel fair compensation would have been.
I would have walked off the ship thinking well of disney if they had credited the $200 per person. For me the compensation should have be less hypothetical. Not everyone can or will book a future cruise. I also do not like the 20% that wasn't 20%. I would have preferred them saying something like 10 or 15% off that was combinable with other offers, no black out dates. I prefer they be more honest about what they are giving.

So how would you quantify what the impact was? Certainly you have to see that there is a difference between the Fantasy cruisers missing out on CC and the Anthem of the Seas cruisers who are missing out on pretty much their entire cruise?
I agree. And I am just saying how I would feel about it getting off of the ship. I just answered another post that I would have been happy if they had credited $200/ person (as opposed to per room) and not acted like they were giving 20% when they really were not.

As has been stated on this thread ad nauseum, they could do their engine maintenance 100% correct every single time and it could still break. It's a machine and machines break even if they receive the best care in the world.
But regardless, the engines are their responsibility, not mine. Payment for the cruise is my responsibility. The ship is their responsibility. If their ship has problems, the customer should not bear that cost- in any way. And I know about the contract.

I would have walked off the ship thinking well of disney if they had credited the $200 per person. For me the compensation should have be less hypothetical. Not everyone can or will book a future cruise. I also do not like the 20% that wasn't 20%. I would have preferred them saying something like 10 or 15% off that was combinable with other offers, no black out dates. I prefer they be more honest about what they are giving.

I don't know that I agree with you overall, but I see where you're coming from and I can see the logic behind your thoughts. I don't think that you're feelings are unreasonable.

I do, however, feel it's unreasonable to compare what happened with the Fantasy and what happened to Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Sea. The only similarity is that they were cruise ships. In every other aspect these two experiences were absolutely nothing alike.

None of us work with the financials of the cruise industry so the algorithm that decided 20% & $200 credit was the fair price for CC under the circumstances is going to forever elude us.

Those of you who have made personal comments please toe the line, or I'm going to have to close the thread... as it is this is already a bit :offtopic: from the OP since the Fantasy has been repaired and is on her way...

But regardless, the engines are their responsibility, not mine. Payment for the cruise is my responsibility. The ship is their responsibility. If their ship has problems, the customer should not bear that cost- in any way. And I know about the contract.

The customer is in no way, shape or form bearing the cost of the ship's problems outside of the fact their cruise fare helps cover the cost of the repairs.

None of us work with the financials of the cruise industry so the algorithm that decided 20% & $200 credit was the fair price for CC under the circumstances is going to forever elude us.

Those of you who have made personal comments please toe the line, or I'm going to have to close the thread... as it is this is already a bit :offtopic: from the OP since the Fantasy has been repaired and is on her way...

Closing the thread would be a great idea as we keep going around in circles. All of the legit questions have been asked and answered

I think closing the tread is a great idea as we are just going around in circles. All of the legit questions have been asked and answered multiple times.

Let everyone hold onto their options but let's move on with life.

Not really sure what happened with that previous post. Sorry for the duplication.

Not really sure what happened with that previous post. Sorry for the duplication.
You can fix it by clicking on "edit" at the bottom of the post and deleting the repeated material.

I'm sorry if I missed this, but were you even on this cruise or just like to stir the pot?

@allears I am with you on this. I love how those who were not on the cruise believe Disney should have done this or that and are adiment about it.

The Captian addressed all guests on Thursday and addressed the problem. One of the engines was not working and we had to skip CC. What else did we need to know? I for one, did not need hourly updates that the engine was not working.

I was bummed when hearing thr announcement that CC was cancelled. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised when he announce we would receive a $200 room credit and 20% off a future cruise. I just never expected that knowing that CC has been cancelled in the past due to high winds.

To be honestl I was initially dissappointed to hear that re-booking would not include a room credit. I just assumed that would be part of re-booking. This was just based on my previous on board bookings including the credit.

DCL stepped up to the plate offering additional activities, character meet and greets, as well as free drinks before Firday's dinner. My opinion, DCL went above and beyond for those of us on the cruise. Yes, you cannot make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. I believe DCL made the vast majority whole during this cruise. I also feel for those first time cruisers who missed out on CC.

Not sure how someone who were not even on the cruise, or experienced what those who were did, criticize how DCL reacted. Remember, there are three sides to every story. What he said, what she said, and what really happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter