Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, I know people have different opinions on this, but disney was even more liable because it was mechanical, not less (and yes I know you sign your life away in the contract so I know disney doesnt ever owe anyone anything). But as I said, I expect more from Disney, not less, because I am paying a premium. And the end result for me personally would have been a negative view of Dcl.
So if you're at the Magic Kingdom and Space Mountain, (or any attraction you happen to like), goes down all day do you ask for some sort of compensation?

I am well aware that Disney has very good lawyers. But we are talking about doing what's right and making people whole for an adverised vacation experience. Royal took the high road. Mickey did not. And Royal did not cause the weather. DCL is responsible for the engine maintenance of its ships.

RCL may not have caused the weather but they knew they were sailing into hurricane force winds, those were forecasted on Friday.

The people on the Fantasy received what they paid for, a full cruise. By providing compensation for something they didn't need to, DCL did take the high road but I don't think you will ever admit that.

The ship averaged 15 to 17 knots on Thursday and Friday. Full speed is 23 and though it was going slower than earlier in the cruise I never felt we were in any danger. The left propeller was not working but the right one was handling it and very well. There was some rocking (we were forward) on Friday night where we actually felt the bow of the Fantasy dip a little and come back up. But that was the extent of it.

I felt the $200.00 OBC and the 20 % was wonderful and appreciated. Missing CC was a huge disappointment to many and I feel bad for them.

We were planning to stay onboard and beat our continuous Aquaduck ride record, but that didn't happen. :) Record for those interested is 10 consecutive rides with no waiting. :) The kids (including oldest one at 49) were excited to beat that record.

All in all, we had a great vacation and are looking forward to going back in September. We had already booked it and will consider using our 20% off in the next couple of years.

I agree, from other reports she was doing +/- 17 kts and her usual sea speed is a bit slower 21 to 22 kts.

AKK

So if you're at the Magic Kingdom and Space Mountain, (or any attraction you happen to like), goes down all day do you ask for some sort of compensation?
Not a valid comparison. If the entire magic kingdom was closed suddenly yes. If a slide was closed on castaway cay I would not care.

Here is the weather map. Doesn't look like the Anthem had anywhere to run and hide!

AKK

Breaking NewsFebruary 8, 2016
Anthem of the Seas Caught in Extreme Storm Off U.S. East Coast

By Mike Schuler

Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas is expected into Port Canaveral, Florida on Monday with major interior damage after the cruise ship was caught off guard in an ‘extreme’ hurricane force storm off the U.S. east coast. The 4,180 passenger cruise ship departed New York for Port Canaveral on Saturday and sailed directly into the path of rapidly

Update: Anthem of the Seas Cruise Canceled After Being Caught in Severe Storm
February 8, 2016

anthem-ns.jpg

Updated, 12:49 p.m. - Anthem of the Seas' current sailing will be cut short. The ship will return to Cape Liberty where passengers will be disembarked. All passengers will receive a full refund and a future cruise certificated worth 50 percent of the cruise fare paid.

In a tweet Royal Caribbean cited forecasted weather conditions as part of the reason for the cancellation. "We're also sensitive to what guests have already been through," the line tweeted.

Seems she may have had more damage and problems then originally noted.

b32320a03117106ba9da9df8f2aaed1cc536d48f.png.cf.jpg

8e7efbbe469e7c1280bc727a68a094ab94722c2a.jpg

I am beginging to think Anthem is going to be dissected as to why they hit the weather like they did dissecting Fantasy and Sandy, 3 years ago. That may explain the generous compensation.

AKK

Thanks for sharing the article, seems terribly scary!

I am well aware that Disney has very good lawyers. But we are talking about doing what's right and making people whole for an adverised vacation experience. Royal took the high road. Mickey did not. And Royal did not cause the weather. DCL is responsible for the engine maintenance of its ships.
You are comparing a watermelon to a grape!! Royal was just starting its cruise (of course they were entitled to a full refund! They never got their trip!!) DCL was wrapping its trip up, all they did was miss ONE POC!!! Which in the contract of carriage is "allowed" without compensation.
Mickey took the high road and gave more than he had to. If you don't like it, go cruise Royal!!!

RCL may not have caused the weather but they knew they were sailing into hurricane force winds, those were forecasted on Friday.

The people on the Fantasy received what they paid for, a full cruise. By providing compensation for something they didn't need to, DCL did take the high road but I don't think you will ever admit that.
I am not sure what you mean by admit. Sounds like you are getting personal. I have a different opinion than you. I do not agree with you but I would not expect you to "admit" I am right.

I am not sure what you mean by admit. Sounds like you are getting personal. I have a different opinion than you. I do not agree with you but I would not expect you to "admit" I am right.

I'm not getting personal at all, I just don't at this point you would ever admit that DCL did the right thing.

Do you think people should receive compensation for everything that changes during a cruise?

I'm not getting personal at all, I just don't at this point you would ever admit that DCL did the right thing.

Do you think people should receive compensation for everything that changes during a cruise?

I am still not sure what you mean. I do not think I am wrong or I wouldn't have posted my opinion. I love Disney too, but I really think they missed the boat on this one. I think they nickel and d imed their customers. And they seem to be doing a lot of that lately. You do not have to agree with me. I respect that you have a different opinion. But I do completely disagree with you. I am telling you how I would feel walking off the ship: not great about Disney as a company. (As opposed to the RC example. I would be thinking what a great company).

Sure it is, the entire cruise wasn't affected, just one part of it. Just like the MK example.
Absolutely not valid. if you want to compare, Castaway Cay is the park. Magic Kingdom is the park. Castaway Cay is not a two minute ride.

I am still not sure what you mean. I do not think I am wrong or I wouldn't have posted my opinion. I love Disney too, but I really think they missed the boat on this one. I think they nickel and d imed their customers. And they seem to be doing a lot of that lately. You do not have to agree with me. I respect that you have a different opinion. But I do completely disagree with you. I am telling you how I would feel walking off the ship: not great about Disney as a company. (As opposed to the RC example. I would be thinking what a great company).

So if you miss a port or are late arriving to a port, you feel the cruise line should provide you with compensation?

You are comparing a watermelon to a grape!! Royal was just starting its cruise (of course they were entitled to a full refund! They never got their trip!!) DCL was wrapping its trip up, all they did was miss ONE POC!!! Which in the contract of carriage is "allowed" without compensation.
Mickey took the high road and gave more than he had to. If you don't like it, go cruise Royal!!!
Sorry I guess we just have to disagree here.

This part bothers me, I don't like the idea that Disney was not sharing enough info and that passengers were worried for their safety. It does freak me out a little as disasters do happen and you're out there in the big deep ocean with your family/children who are depending on you to keep them safe. But I will say that the people on this board only had information that was shared by passengers on the ship on twitter; presumably they did get some actual info from Disney rather than just rumors. Still, clearly Disney was not sharing information well or reassuring people if you felt unsafe.

We felt like we got enough information and NEVER once felt anyone was hiding anything or that we were in any danger. As stated before the ship's services were up and running at full tilt the whole time

My apologies if you already mentioned this, but I am wondering what you feel fair compensation would have been.

As I said, I know people have different opinions on this, but disney was even more liable because it was mechanical, not less (and yes I know you sign your life away in the contract so I know disney doesnt ever owe anyone anything). But as I said, I expect more from Disney, not less, because I am paying a premium. And the end result for me personally would have been a negative view of Dcl.

I'm sorry if I missed this, but were you even on this cruise or just like to stir the pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter