Disboutiquers Part 18 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kipperdog I'm with you - I want to sew (I even have a sewing machine - just havent used it!)

question about material - is it hard to sew with fleece? (does the needle break? does the material clog?)

are there any tricks to sewing with satiny, silky, shiny material? We got a cute Tinkerbelle fabric - and thought to try the PJ bottoms (dd is 13) -

I think the material is likely to "bunch"?

any hints would be appreciated!!

even tho dd is older - this thread is so very inspiring!! Thank you all for sharing!

2865849015_31bd2d5e53.jpg

I LOVE that!!! So cute!!

:welcome:!! You can easily learn to sew before May!! Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself! I couldn't sew when I found this thread 2 years ago, and neither could many of the other people on here!

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. I actually had a conversation like that with my mother. I told her I wanted to learn to sew so I could make the kids clothes. Her reply, no you don't. I tried when you all were little to make you clothes and it is not worth it. I then said I thought it would be neat to learn and teach my daughter. Her reply, you don't have time. When would you? You don't even have a sewing machine. She made some legitimate points, but I would live to be able to make clothes like these. I wouldn't even know where to start though.[/QUOTE]

You can buy a basic machine for under $100. It really is not difficult to learn to sew at all. MANY of us could not sew, or could not sew much more than a straight line when we found this thread. Really, the trick is perseverance. Stick with it. Try to stitch a straight line today. Tomorrow, try it again. Do it until you get it right. Before you know it, you'll be sewing.

As far as your mom's points - I've got to say that my mom sounds very much like yours. She does not sew. She tried to sew once when I was young and it didn't turn out great, so she gave up. She didn't try again until she got it right. Because of that, she thinks that no one else can sew and that it isn't worth the effort. When I started sewing again a few years ago, she was skeptical. Until she saw that I was learning and I could actually make something for my daughter that I was proud for her to wear in public. Now she thinks I'm the best seamstress in the world - and she always has projects that she wants me to work on for her. And she's pretty picky, so I take that as a compliment. When I go to her house for Christmas, I'll be making curtains for two rooms an recovering a bay window seat.
Moral of the story - if you want to sew, you should sew. Work at it - keep working at it - it will come. Don't let someone else discourage you from doing something that you really want to do. The reward will be great, trust me!

question about material - is it hard to sew with fleece? (does the needle break? does the material clog?)

Well, Fleece is pretty cool to us to make stuff. I had a bad experience though lately. I was appliq a school letter on a bunch of scarves for a band booster thing and where the machine was going so fast I think as I did them it clogged with those fine bits of fluff. I felt so bad because I handed over less than spectacular scarves and still have some that need to be done. My poor machine needed a good clean out and compressed air. It is pretty cool fabric though, I love making stuff with it, I just never emb on it and that is a different animal all together. I still haven't heard from the lady I did these for. I am not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but I tried I guess... (oh, it wasn't a paid thing).

I say give it a try but be prepared with some compressed air to give the bobbin area a shot now and again just to be sure. :)

Being on a budget stinks....
I sit here knowing that there is a liquidation sale going on at the jacket factory that my Mom used to work at. They did school jackets, blankets, etc... They were bought and now everything is going - jackets, cabinets, I am sure thread, fabric, chenille, etc.... and I am sitting here on my hands knowing that I can't pull out the wallet. It is going on for another half an hour, I just hate missing bargains.... ugh!

I wanted to do a at home version of "Bibbity Bobbity Boutique"
I found an assortment of lip glosses in a castle shaped carry case- but what about kid-safe eye shadow/or some sparkly stuff for her cheeks and hair???

Anyone know where I can get something like this?

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. I actually had a conversation like that with my mother. I told her I wanted to learn to sew so I could make the kids clothes. Her reply, no you don't. I tried when you all were little to make you clothes and it is not worth it. I then said I thought it would be neat to learn and teach my daughter. Her reply, you don't have time. When would you? You don't even have a sewing machine. She made some legitimate points, but I would live to be able to make clothes like these. I wouldn't even know where to start though.
I know where you can start! First, get a sewing machine! This is the one that lots of us have and most of us love it:
http://www.walmart.com/Brother-Computerized-Sewing-Machine-CS6000I/ip/4764726

Like Revrob said, you can get a sewing machine for around $100 that would work fine for you, too.

There is a wonderful pattern maker named CarlaC that makes really easy to understand and easy to use patterns. Her easiest pattern is called the easy fit pants.
http://youcanmakethis.com/info/featured-products/Easy-Fit-Pants-For-Dolly-and-Me-boys-too.htm

After that, I would try the portrait peasant top:
http://youcanmakethis.com/info/featured-products/Portrait-Peasant-Tops-and-Dresses.htm

What's so great about these patterns is that they come with all of the sizes and you can use them over and over again. They're much easier to understand than commercial patterns and I really suggest trying one of these first!

Kipperdog I'm with you - I want to sew (I even have a sewing machine - just havent used it!)

are there any tricks to sewing with satiny, silky, shiny material? We got a cute Tinkerbelle fabric - and thought to try the PJ bottoms (dd is 13) -

even tho dd is older - this thread is so very inspiring!! Thank you all for sharing!
I haven't sewn with fleece much and I've sewn with silky fabric even less! I wouldn't suggest starting with a silky fabric if you haven't sewn before. But, you'll work up to it in no time.

Being on a budget stinks....
I sit here knowing that there is a liquidation sale going on at the jacket factory that my Mom used to work at. They did school jackets, blankets, etc... They were bought and now everything is going - jackets, cabinets, I am sure thread, fabric, chenille, etc.... and I am sitting here on my hands knowing that I can't pull out the wallet. It is going on for another half an hour, I just hate missing bargains.... ugh!
That really stinks!

I wanted to do a at home version of "Bibbity Bobbity Boutique"
I found an assortment of lip glosses in a castle shaped carry case- but what about kid-safe eye shadow/or some sparkly stuff for her cheeks and hair???

Anyone know where I can get something like this?
They should have kid's eye shadow in the same area as they had the lip gloss and such for little girls. I know I've bought some before for Tessa to play with at WalMart.

You can buy a basic machine for under $100. It really is not difficult to learn to sew at all. MANY of us could not sew, or could not sew much more than a straight line when we found this thread. Really, the trick is perseverance. Stick with it. Try to stitch a straight line today. Tomorrow, try it again. Do it until you get it right. Before you know it, you'll be sewing.

As far as your mom's points - I've got to say that my mom sounds very much like yours. She does not sew. She tried to sew once when I was young and it didn't turn out great, so she gave up. She didn't try again until she got it right. Because of that, she thinks that no one else can sew and that it isn't worth the effort. When I started sewing again a few years ago, she was skeptical. Until she saw that I was learning and I could actually make something for my daughter that I was proud for her to wear in public. Now she thinks I'm the best seamstress in the world - and she always has projects that she wants me to work on for her. And she's pretty picky, so I take that as a compliment. When I go to her house for Christmas, I'll be making curtains for two rooms an recovering a bay window seat.
Moral of the story - if you want to sew, you should sew. Work at it - keep working at it - it will come. Don't let someone else discourage you from doing something that you really want to do. The reward will be great, trust me![/QUOTE]

I agree with revrob! I couldn't sew anything as of this summer but I wanted to give it a try! With the help of this WONDERFUL board and CarlaC, I have made numerous things now and love it! But be warned...it's addictive!!!:rotfl2: give it a try...like everyone else is suggesting...start with Carla C...she explains everything step by step!

Yes, it's actually a Halloween party they have scheduled for this weekend, but the kids have to dress as their favorite saint........

When my kids were at Catholic schools, they encouraged you to send the kids on Halloween in Saintly costumes!

:welcome:!! You can easily learn to sew before May!! Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself! I couldn't sew when I found this thread 2 years ago, and neither could many of the other people on here!

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. I actually had a conversation like that with my mother. I told her I wanted to learn to sew so I could make the kids clothes. Her reply, no you don't. I tried when you all were little to make you clothes and it is not worth it. I then said I thought it would be neat to learn and teach my daughter. Her reply, you don't have time. When would you? You don't even have a sewing machine. She made some legitimate points, but I would live to be able to make clothes like these. I wouldn't even know where to start though.[/QUOTE]

My grandma taught me to sew, my mom did not sew. Well, she knew how but it wasn't something she enjoyed. My grandmother taught sewing classes in her home and she was great at sewing. It isn't for everyone, but if you really want to learn, you will be able to do it! I find it so relaxing and even when I worked full time, I still found time to sew!!

Okay, for your learning time, I would NOT use the silky, shinny fabric! :lmao: You might not make it very long. I would start with cotton. You can even use muslin while learning. Its not too expensive. I would also use the patterns from YCMT, especially CaralC's patterns. I would start with the easy fit pants or the Simply Sweet pattern. They are both very well written and so easy to do!! I would avoid commercial patterns until you know more. A lot of our mom's stopped sewing because the patterns were too difficult to use. They gloss over a bunch of the steps. Don't balk at the price at YCMT. For a long time, I wouldn't pay the price because you can get patterns at Joann's/Hancocks on sale for a dollar. Do buy your first 10 pattern and get going!

I haven't used fleece too much, I normally sew with cottons. If you are going to use fleece, it is good as you do not have to finish any seams. Just use a LOT of pins while sewing. Another tip that makes your sewing easier, use that iron! Often. When I was younger, I thought I didn't need it but it make a BIG difference in your final outfit!

Okay, I think I am rambling! Good luck and I hope you love sewing as much as we do! :love:

Had to take this pic now that I am on these boards every day:
IMG_0719.jpg

My little belle's (I was surprised by how much attention they got while wearing these):
IMG_0937.jpg

These were also fun!
IMG_0091.jpg

It was so hot so they really enjoyed playing in here! It was funny because people kept stopping and asking us if they could take our girls picture!
IMG_0329.jpg

I'll put more pics up in a little while. My photobucket account is taking forever!

I'm so excited I just had to share and I knew you guys would understand my excitement. I was browsing the Anita Goodesign site that was posted yesterday and decided I wanted an emboidery machine. I had all these comebacks for why I needed one when I told DH but I didn't nee any of them. He aactually told me that I never get myseslf anything and this would be an investment because I would be able to use it for years to come. He asked me to tell him a little bit about them so I was telling him about the different sizes and he told me I could get the biggest size hoop and best machine I could find :yay::yay::yay::banana::banana::banana: So now I get to have fun researching to see what I want. Any suggestions from you guys. The only thing is that I can't actually buy anything until our house back in PA sells so hopefully it sells soon.

I'm so excited I just had to share and I knew you guys would understand my excitement. I was browsing the Anita Goodesign site that was posted yesterday and decided I wanted an emboidery machine. I had all these comebacks for why I needed one when I told DH but I didn't nee any of them. He aactually told me that I never get myseslf anything and this would be an investment because I would be able to use it for years to come. He asked me to tell him a little bit about them so I was telling him about the different sizes and he told me I could get the biggest size hoop and best machine I could find :yay::yay::yay::banana::banana::banana: So now I get to have fun researching to see what I want. Any suggestions from you guys. The only thing is that I can't actually buy anything until our house back in PA sells so hopefully it sells soon.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:cool1: I hope your house sells really soon! :cheer2:

I would suggest skipping the collar and leaving the sleeves as is, and there are so many apron styles out there. You might check out the children's corner patterns for that part. (if you dont already have one)

OHHH! I'm so glad my post on Anita Goodesigns helped you out LOL!!
I did it in reverse, bought my first ME machine and then saw her display rack.
I really love the Vikings, I have the Designer SE and I know HeatherSue as the Designer I+ (I think)

Makeup for little girls- HeatherSue, I found the lip gloss case-castle thing in the toy section at Wal Mart--where would I look for make up?
I am just wanting it for Halloween. I haven't a clue how to do her hair either. I can't get the part straight for pig tails, dont know how I'll manage an "up do"

My DH and I waiting for Spectro
IMG_1829.jpg

A visit with tink
IMG_2022.jpg

Going to Crystal Palace:
IMG_2591.jpg

My girls woke up one morning in our room to find out the "fairy godmother" left them these princess dresses. they were super excited! They wore them to MNSSHP:
IMG_2790.jpg

I'll post a pic of them with the fairy godmother a little later. It was so cute! When it was their turn to see her, they ran up to her and thanked them for the dresses and she played right a long and talked to them about it! She also went on and on about the cinderella dresses they were wearing when she saw them and about the mice helping her make the dresses she brought them.

yesh... I made the move before we got to page 15... this may be my "earliest" page yet :lmao:

Ok - off to catch up on the last 11 pages ;)

Got a couple of new things to post. Got a Curious George Pyjama set done for the Grandson of my cleaning lady. I am really glad people keep asking me to make small sizes with this fabric. It is lasting longer that way.

Close up:

Of course, being my own biggest critic I wasn't too happy with it, but DH said it was great. I did not quite believe him, so I called in DS8 and said "OK, now tell me what is wrong with this." He cut me off saying "oh mom, that is AWESOME." Gotta love it when the kids are that encouraging. :goodvibes

Love those pjs! DD used to watch that show all day. Although we loved it, I am glad she is finally over him!

Next up is a skirt that I did over a month ago. It is the double layer stripwork that Leslie has the tutorial on her blog for. I had not posted it before because it was not for a little girl, it was for me.

And since we were chatting about NCIS in the last thread, my kids thought this was very Abby like, and wanted me to wear ponytails too. (like I could with my short hair :rolleyes:)

That is really cute! I love the skirt. I wish I had time to make myself something like that!

Here are the Halloween costumes I made. Cara's was A LOT easier than Jenna's. Carla C vs. Simplicity.

Cara wanted to be a nurse:
a055.jpg

Jenna wanted to be Felicity in her blue Holiday gown: (don't mind the frown, I interupted her computer palying to have her try on the dress)
a058.jpg

Thanks for looking.

You did a great job! Sara beth really wants me to make her a costume and I told her to pick from the gajillions she already has! she would love that felicity one!

I missed the move!! Hey page 6 isn't bad!

Here is the Halloween skirt I finished for Kaedyn today. Another bad picture, but oh well!!

Kaedynsnewskirt.jpg

Really cute! My pics have been the same way lately. I think my child can't stop moving!

We're big George fans here too.... Thought I'd share one of my first dresses offered for sale. You can tell by the age of my daughter that it's been a while.... I bought TONS and TONS of that fabric at Wal-Mart for $4 a yard. Now it goes for a premium price on resale.....

cgfl2.jpg

that is beautiful! Love the hat!

....I will post pics pics of my Cars outfits (finally!).

Front of dress (Simply Sweet bodice with my own made up stripwork skirt) and Bowling Shirt:
PA230029.jpg

Back View:
PA230032.jpg

Lightning McQueen close up (this is painted -- I tried appliqueing it initially and it was horrid):
PA230034.jpg

Out of focus hairbow: (edited to add it's upside down too!!!)
PA230035.jpg

Better view of applique on bowling shirt: (so you can see the puckers in the fabric -- ugh!)
PA230033.jpg

And sorry for the uber large photos -- I try resizing them and nothing happens. You can also tell by the *ever so fabulous* quality of the photos why I want a new camera for our trip. Sadly I think I got a new furnace for Christmas instead:sad1:

Love the outfits! The dress especialy. I made Sara Beth a dress that she wanted and once it was done she told me that it was a boy dress! I told she was wearing it no matter what!

Sorry I didn't resize. Have no time!

Had to take this pic now that I am on these boards every day:
IMG_0719.jpg

My little belle's (I was surprised by how much attention they got while wearing these):
IMG_0937.jpg

These were also fun!
IMG_0091.jpg

It was so hot so they really enjoyed playing in here! It was funny because people kept stopping and asking us if they could take our girls picture!
IMG_0329.jpg

I'll put more pics up in a little while. My photobucket account is taking forever!

So cute!! Your girls are adorable and I love the picture of you and the girls with minnie's sewing machine!

Wooo Hoooo!!! My hubby told me that a few years ago too! I have a baby lock Elegante and LOVE it!! It has the mega hoop and I use it all the time!! Good luck looking for your new baby!

My DH and I waiting for Spectro
IMG_1829.jpg

A visit with tink
IMG_2022.jpg

Going to Crystal Palace:
IMG_2591.jpg

My girls woke up one morning in our room to find out the "fairy godmother" left them these princess dresses. they were super excited! They wore them to MNSSHP:
IMG_2790.jpg

I'll post a pic of them with the fairy godmother a little later. It was so cute! When it was their turn to see her, they ran up to her and thanked them for the dresses and she played right a long and talked to them about it! She also went on and on about the cinderella dresses they were wearing when she saw them and about the mice helping her make the dresses she brought them.

How sweet that Fairy Godmother went along with the whole story line!! All your customs are great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter