Disappointing experience with modifying a Resort Reservation at FW

Barnabus

Earning My Ears
Hello-
My family are lucky enough to be able to camp at FW 3-4 times a year as we live only an hour away. Due to my busy schedule I often book a larger window and end up trimming down my resort reservation when we get closer (usually due to my work schedule). We have never had a single issue modifying reservatons.......until today.

We are going (or were going) this coming weekend for Mothers day. We had reservations to arrive on friday and to leave the following tuesday. We called earlier today to modify our reservation to leave on Sunday.

The cast member on the phone actually told us we could not modify our reservation because there was no availability.......HUH? Funnily enough this was a very similar message to the one we got when we tried to modify our reservation online (hence the call).

So basically it appears as though they are not treating the modification as a modification but as a new ressie. I am still outside of the 1 week limitation to get a full refund. I am aware of no other restrictions.

The castmember put in a request with customer service to change the ressie and told us they would get back to us within 24 hours to let us know if they were going to allow us to change the ressie.

I am so pissed and confused at this point. I know there are always alot of changes going on at Disney and usually not for the better. Perhaps a new policy i was not aware of.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience recently?

-B

Hello-
My family are lucky enough to be able to camp at FW 3-4 times a year as we live only an hour away. Due to my busy schedule I often book a larger window and end up trimming down my resort reservation when we get closer (usually due to my work schedule). We have never had a single issue modifying reservatons.......until today.

We are going (or were going) this coming weekend for Mothers day. We had reservations to arrive on friday and to leave the following tuesday. We called earlier today to modify our reservation to leave on Sunday.

The cast member on the phone actually told us we could not modify our reservation because there was no availability.......HUH? Funnily enough this was a very similar message to the one we got when we tried to modify our reservation online (hence the call).

So basically it appears as though they are not treating the modification as a modification but as a new ressie. I am still outside of the 1 week limitation to get a full refund. I am aware of no other restrictions.

The castmember put in a request with customer service to change the ressie and told us they would get back to us within 24 hours to let us know if they were going to allow us to change the ressie.

I am so pissed and confused at this point. I know there are always alot of changes going on at Disney and usually not for the better. Perhaps a new policy i was not aware of.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience recently?

-B
I've read the same story several times here on the boards, across all resorts. Seems to be the way of the World now. Plus when trying to make reservations, the system will show no availability, for example, for Monday-Wednesday but will for Monday-Saturday across the same dates.

Hi Barnabus, Sorry to hear about your troubles with the modification of your ressie. Just curious though, you mention that you are trying to leave on Sunday instead of Tuesday. Are you trying to shorten or lengthen your stay?

Hi Barnabus, Sorry to hear about your troubles with the modification of your ressie. Just curious though, you mention that you are trying to leave on Sunday instead of Tuesday. Are you trying to shorten or lengthen your stay?
hi jeffrey- Trying to shorten the stay not lengthen. Hence my confusion.

-B

Disney changed their policy/practices last summer some time. I believe they no longer allow modifications, the reservation must be cancelled and rebooked based on availability at the time of rebooking. We usually do something similar with our resort reservations when booking our trips. We'll book a 2-week trip and then as the dates get closer, we tweak the reservation to be for the 7 or 8 days that we want the reservation to be for (based on work schedules). We always modified the reservation at least 3 months before check-in. Last summer I had read that they were no longer allowing modifications. When we booked our upcoming June trip last September, my travel agent told us we would no longer be able to do the "book 2 weeks, modify later" thing we had done for the last several trips -- that Disney (for the most part) was no longer allowing that.

Hopefully they will make an exception and allow you to modify. If not, I suppose there's always the chance that since you're planning to shorten your stay, if you cancel your current reservation, theoretically you should be able to rebook for just the days you want since those dates *should* now be available (assuming someone else doesn't scoop them up).

Barnabus,

That's unfortunate. I think Disney created this problem themselves and rather than fixing the problem, they've compounded it by introducing new ones.

While it doesn't sound to technically be a cancel/rebook, the system does appear to check to see if the ENTIRE new length of trip desired is available. Say you book Sunday-Friday and want to drop Friday, the system looks for vacancies for Sunday-Thursday as if it were going to cancel. If it finds a vacancy, it will allow you to modify and drop Friday while keeping the same reservation number. If there are no vacancies for Sunday-Thursday of the same "room" type/view, it will not allow you to modify even though clearly there is capacity in your own reservation to do so.

That may explain why some folks have encountered problems while others have not. It depends if there was a parallel vacancy available.

That does in fact make it VERY hard to plan when/if you can change dates.

With the ADR's available at 180+10 days and FP at 60 days, it seems Disney was getting burned by people cancelling their reservations within 30 days of arrival (their system allows people to keep the ADR which is not tied to an on-property reservation but also lets people keep their FP+ and Magic Bands as well). IMO Disney should cancel ADR and FP+ if a resort reservation is cancelled. While that solution has problems also, I think they are fewer in number. Also the speculation around free dining on room reservations was having an effect. Honestly it's pretty hard for people to juggle the members of their travelling party, the dates, flights/travel plans, and have there NOT be a change of some sort when booking six months or a year or 500 days in advance.

The best analogy I read is that booking Disney rooms are now like booking seats for a Broadway-type theater show. Two people going to a show would book/buy/reserve individual seats in advance with an empty seat (not purchased) between them to store coats or allow extra elbow room. They know full well that it is doubtful that single seat will be purchased by someone. So booking software might let the first person buy a single next to someone else but the second person would not be permitted to buy a seat which leaves a single vacancy next to other single booked seat. For the OP, Disney is afraid no one will want Monday and Tuesday that he is dropping and they will be left with two "room" nights generating zero revenue. Since Barnabus booked those two day Disney is forcing him to keep them all or cancel the whole thing.

It sounds like it was quietly introduced and applied retroactively to existing bookings (which is unethical in my book since they were "purchased" or initially reserved under the old rules). But Disney's desire to make a buck overrides an ethical decision like that. They could have imposed some serious "Change" fees like the airlines or altered the cancellation policy (or fixed the stupid MyMagic software to match ADR and FP+ more closely to room changes).

It sucks for sure.

Bama Ed

PS - and bluezy, you THINK that cancelling and immediately rebooking would work but using the words "logical" and "Disney IT" in the same context doesn't always work. You would think so though....

I'm calling tonight to try and change a NYE reservation that I've been putting off changing. Let's see how it goes. What I find unethical is that Disney is imposing a minimum stay without letting us know what that minimum stay is. At the same time, they allow one night throwaway campsite rentals that make it darn near impossible for real campers to get a spot at times.

I believe they no longer allow modifications, the reservation must be cancelled and rebooked based on availability at the time of rebooking.

1) There has been far too many abuses of the room and campsite reservation system.
2) People who could not get a short stay would book a longer one, then cancel some of the days.
3) This prevented others who might have wanted those cancelled days.
4) Instead, they went elsewhere because the days were not available at their early booking time.
5) Let's face it, booking long stays and shortening them is just plain rude to other guests.
. . . how would YOU feel if you couldn't get dates due to a booking of fictitious dates?

NOTE:
If I was WDW, I would make the people pay for all the booked days.
To take days you don't use is to possibly hurt other's chances for dates.
To me, it is like double or triple booking dining ADR's.

It sounds like it was quietly introduced and applied retroactively to existing bookings (which is unethical in my book since they were "purchased" or initially reserved under the old rules).

Remember, all ressies are listed as "Subject to Change"

1) There has been far too many abuses of the room and campsite reservation system.
2) People who could not get a short stay would book a longer one, then cancel some of the days.
3) This prevented others who might have wanted those cancelled days.
4) Instead, they went elsewhere because the days were not available at their early booking time.
5) Let's face it, booking long stays and shortening them is just plain rude to other guests.
. . . how would YOU feel if you couldn't get dates due to a booking of fictitious dates?

NOTE:
If I was WDW, I would make the people pay for all the booked days.
To take days you don't use is to possibly hurt other's chances for dates.
To me, it is like double or triple booking dining ADR's.

1. Abuses from people following the rules?
2. And in doing so they were FOLLOWING THE RULES in place when they made the reservation.
3. And Disney exacerbated it with allowing 180 day ADR booking and 60 day FP+ which DO NOT GET CANCELLED when a resort reservation is dropped before arrival.
4. People went elsewhere because everyone else was following Disney's rules regarding modifications, cancellations, ADR's, and FP+.
5. It's rude to follow the rules? How would I feel? Since it's been going on for decades, it feels like ...... a normal Disney reservation experience. :scratchin

People can follow up and keep trying to book dates that were previously unavailable - we have threads here that are proof.

If the 5 day cancellation window is too generous, modify it.

If modifying the reservations was an issue, impose a big fee or say no modifications within 60 days of arrival. Or 90 days. Or payment for room-only reservations is due in full well in advance of arrival (like packages).

To recap,

• Disney set the rules.
  • People followed the rules.
  • Disney realized they were being played by their own rules.

So instead of changing the rules that created the situation, they created more rules which hurt the innocent. If instead they cleaned up the FP+ and ADR abuses and dis-incented reservation speculation over things like Free Dining, the situation would correct itself.

1. Payment in full due 60 days before arrival for room-only.
2. ADR and FP+ can be booked only within 60 days of arrival.
3. Reservations cancelled within 60 days also triggers the cancellation of all FP+ and ADR's.
4. Minimum 2-night reservation on campsites.
5. Dates dropped within 60 days will not be refunded. Extensions available as space permits.

Unfortunately, this is classic bunker mentality which only makes the situation worse.

Bama Ed

2. And in doing so they were FOLLOWING THE RULES in place when they made the reservation.
3. And Disney exacerbated it with allowing 180 day ADR booking and 60 day FP+ which DO NOT GET CANCELLED when a resort reservation is dropped before arrival.
4. People went elsewhere because everyone else was following Disney's rules regarding modifications, cancellations, ADR's, and FP+.
5. It's rude to follow the rules? How would I feel? Since it's been going on for decades, it feels like ...... a normal Disney reservation experience. :scratchin

People can follow up and keep trying to book dates that were previously unavailable - we have threads here that are proof.

If modifying the reservations was an issue, impose a big fee or say no modifications within 60 days of arrival. Or 90 days. Or payment for room-only reservations is due in full well in advance of arrival (like packages).

To recap,

• Disney set the rules.

So instead of changing the rules that created the situation, they created more rules which hurt the innocent. If instead they cleaned up the FP+ and ADR abuses and dis-incented reservation speculation over things like Free Dining, the situation would correct itself.

3. Reservations cancelled within 60 days also triggers the cancellation of all FP+ and ADR's.
5. Dates dropped within 60 days will not be refunded. Extensions available as space permits.

Unfortunately, this is classic bunker mentality which only makes the situation worse.

Bama Ed

Yes...exactly! I was just typing a very long response to that post but you said everything I was thinking. I don't think it would be too difficult for Disney to "fix" the throwaway room/campsite reservations issues and I'm not sure why they haven't done it. I think the big things are to require more than a 1-night stay for free magic bands and only allow 1 day of FP reservations for a 1-night room-only/campsite reservation. That would eliminate a lot of throwaway reservations since the reasons that people seem to do that are for the free magic bands and the ability to book all of their FPs 60 days out even if not really staying on property. Disney already requires a minimum length of stay and ticket purchase to get promotional pricing so it doesn't seem crazy to require at least 2 nights to get certain benefits.

Disney also created the book long stays and cancel unwanted days later problem out of sheer greed. They are the ones that set up their computer system to hold days for longer reservations. If I want to book 3 days and it tells me nothing is available for those dates but if I include those dates in a 7 day reservation all of a sudden they're available? That is pure and simple corporate greed. People caught on to the game and played along then Disney compounded the issues with the ADR and FP crap. So now their answer is to screw people who may have a legit need to modify a trip. I realize the OP may have been using the system for her convenience but not everyone does. I hope this comes back to bite them in the you know what. I've really grown tired of the anything for a buck mentality Disney has turned to and it will only get worse as long as people keep throwing money at them.

IMO Disney should cancel ADR and FP+ if a resort reservation is cancelled. While that solution has problems also, I think they are fewer in number.
True, but for the most part, those problems are typically for those folks trying to take advantage of this system. Most people trying to do the right thing wouldn't be affected by it. The other problems I see that it would have, however, is on those places that the ADRs and FP+ are made at. If they get cancelled at the 30 day mark (or even closer) then they could also be impacted by not filling to the capacity that they thought they would have. (although I am sure many of them would fill back up at that point too). I do, however agree that if you made ADRs and FP+ based on a resort reservations and you cancel it, associated ADRs and FP+ should also be canceled. Notify folks in advance (Part of the TOS) so that they KNOW (or at least were informed) of this.

PS - and bluezy, you THINK that cancelling and immediately rebooking would work but using the words "logical" and "Disney IT" in the same context doesn't always work. You would think so though....
You'd think that, but I am sure there is a delay in "releasing" the booking. Particularly when you are dealing with things Online by users who may not be as careful as you'd want them to be. They hit the "Delete" (or Cancel) button and then "OOOPS.... I Didn't mean to do that!:scared1:" and there goes the reservation. Well that's why many systems won't release them right away. Kind of like an "Undo" to correct mistakes.

that would eliminate a lot of throwaway reservations since the reasons that people seem to do that are for the free magic bands and the ability to book all of their FPs 60 days out even if not really staying on property.
I don't have an issue with someone purchasing a throw-away site. If they want to pay for a night to get the MB and FP+ early booking... so be it. It's when they cancel it after they have everything they want. Now Disney doesn't make their money and has made an expense (such as the MB, not to mention the time of the agents, etc.. and not even getting the money for the reservation).

While Bama_Ed points out that people are just following the rules, I don't think that was the intent of the rules. Just like we get upset when a millionaire finds a loophole to not pay a lot of taxes. They are following the rules, but we still don't like it.

It's a constant push and pull. Disney wants to maximize their profits and we the consumers want to save our money (but still enjoy the offerings). In the end, we will have to read (and accept) this long and obnoxious contract to do anything, because they will have to (try and) cover up all of the loopholes. We will still ***** about that in the end too. :faint:

To recap,

• Disney set the rules.

Bama Ed

Thank you!

We called last night and were on hold 32 minutes - had to hang up for Game of Thrones. This morning, we received the same response as the OP and they will let us know within 24 hours for a reservation 8 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!! I'm a rule follower and NO WHERE when I booked did it say there was a minimum stay required. By all means, tell me up front and I can decide if it is worth it to me to book but don't have "unwritten" rules that only Disney knows. We are booking nights of lodging and every single place that has these rules discloses them up front - the major third party booking sites put in RED that reservations are non-changeable and pre-paid if in fact they are. Let's see what they say.

I'm a rule follower and NO WHERE when I booked did it say there was a minimum stay required. By all means, tell me up front and I can decide if it is worth it to me to book but don't have "unwritten" rules that only Disney knows.
I agree with this. I think this is a bigger problem. Rules that they enforce that we (as consumers) have to find out on things like this forum or other news sources. Sadly, we find out by being "Bitten" by it. This leaves a very sour/bad feeling for those of us impacted.

I think Disney is afraid that if they "Announced" all the rules, that people might actually decide to take their business elsewhere and it would be a loss in revenue. However, that being said, it may not be an immediate loss in revenue, over the long haul, more and more will slip away. It is going to happen eventually if they keep doing business this way. Hopefully someone in management will step up and start doing things in a way to keep the customer happy as well as the shareholders. I believe they call it a compromise?
walt-disney-quote-all-our-dreams-can-come-true-if.jpg

Let's see what they say.

Sadly, the success rate for hearing ANYTHING from Guests Services appears to be very low. But I hope you beat the odds.

Bama Ed

Guest services just sent a new reservation number with a revised reservation! Yay for getting back to us within the timeline they promised!

I hope that Disney realizes that this is a problem and implements reasonable conditions that all guests can follow. I'm going to put ed's proposal here again because - Disney, are you listening? - these will protect both Disney and the traveler.

4. Minimum 2-night reservation on campsites. - This is the critical one. If #3 were to happen, then there is no incentive for the throwaway people to cancel their reservations. As a camper, my priority is being able to get a site, and throwaway sites may impact that availability so I would rather they get to keep their FP and ADR if it will incentivize them to cancel a reservation. Ideally, Disney will figure out a way to disincentivize them even getting a site and a minimum of 2-3 nights is probably the best way. The other way is to raise the price of the campsites and I've noticed that they are almost at the same level as All-Stars...so they are really squeezing the max out of the campers.

One more thing, I tried booking a Disney room on orbitz. The campsites weren't on there but a Wilderness Lodge booking very clearly stated that there would be a $25 hotel fee to modify the reservation. It did NOT say that a modification would require a cancellation and a rebooking which is a critical distinction.

Thanks everyone for the input. In short the immediate issue has been resolved. My wife called again yesterday and spoke to a CM who was just a little more helpful and fixed the issue immediately. He explained that the site we booked was reserved for people who are booking for 4+ day stay (which we were never told and there is no mention of in the Terms & Conditions). He stated he felt the policy was ridiculous because they are always at 100% booked and as soon as the sites become available they will be snatched up.

Although rectified I am still really annoyed.

1. There is no other “customer focused” industry that would dare to not allow you to cancel or modify a reservation other than the bastion of customer service – Airlines.

2. Disney can do whatever they want. But they need to spend time updating their Terms and Conditions. No one likes surprises.

3. I should be well aware at the time I am making a ressie that I cannot cancel or modify. How about a pop up that I need to check so we are all on the same page.

4. I like the fact that people are allowed to change/modify their reservations. That is how I am sometimes able to get a reservation to FW 5 days from arrival.

5. Their most current Terms state “If you are unable to modify or cancel your reservation on line please contact customer service. “ It says nothing (still) about not being allowed to modify.
Sad.

Well I am happy for both of you!

I agree with Barnabus that Disney lately has made all the moves that are good for Disney, not their guest. To me it's tarnished their reputation in my eyes.

And Allie, you're right about the Orbitz statements being very clear about fees. I don't mind Disney setting fees or implementing onerous rules regarding mods and drops. Be honest with me and we can get along. But they're not being honest and upfront and that's what grinds me.

Bama Ed

I used to work for a major hotel chain and booked rooms. In a simple nutshell this is what happens. You book a room for 5 nights. It's available, no problem. You then decide to cancel just one night and change the reservation to a 4 night stay. So when the cancellation for the reservation goes through the system sees the ENTIRE reservation go "poof". So in a nano-second you're without any room. Now usually the agent just re-enters the info for the 4nights and all is well. But that goes out the door during popular times. So during that nano-second, those rooms get scooped up by another agent. Now you are truly room-less. Another odd thing that happens is you want a 5 night stay - no availability - but wait! we've all seen that one room/campsite that stays unoccupied your entire stay. That's because of overlap. Room 1 is open Monday but not Tues and avaiable again on Wed. So if you try to book Mon-Wed no availability. But if you reserve one day at a time then you'll get availibiltiy. Very crazy and confusing. Many seasoned travelers know to try the day to day thing and usually it works out for them (although some have said they did have to switch rooms)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter