Dis 10th Anniversary mention - July 2016

We are set to arrive on the 22nd, meaning our ADR window opens this coming Sunday, January 24th - so trying to plan out our days - definitely learning how to plan with flexibility

Totally understand why firm details aren't set yet - just for uber planners, our spreadsheets are struggling! ;)
We are in the same boat. DW printed a blank spreadsheet and we keep penciling things into spots so when we can book we can also adjust. If only we had a magnet board...

We are in the same boat. DW printed a blank spreadsheet and we keep penciling things into spots so when we can book we can also adjust. If only we had a magnet board...

I am doing it right in Excel and keep moving things around. At this point keeping most flexibility for the 25th but know that might have to alter other plans as well. Trying to plan most of our "hard to get" ADRs for later in the week (specifically BOG - haven't gotten in there for dinner yet). I think most of the other "new to us" (Sci-Fi, Kona breakfast, Hoop De Doo) won't be too hard to get if we need to adjust things

I believe I may be having a mental breakdown. Yesterday at work I had an argument with myself about whether or not it was worth eating at some of the signature dining spots. It lasted well over an hour, but in the end, I won. The spreadsheets are penciled in, DW and I are comparing (we each plan how we would do it, then hammer out any compromises) and have 2 days until we join thousands of others fighting for the same ADR. Looking at 10 days with no dining plan is taking its toll on me.

After researching various web sites and consulting a psychic, I determined that July 25th MK will be the busiest park. It will also be hot and humid with a heat index of 108 and rain a 2:15, so as a fat man, I can only hope for an event in EC. I am waiting with baited breath for any crumbs of info, but have decided to make that Monday is a QS only day just in case. If they run out of mac and cheese at the Friars Nook AGAIN... well they have metal detectors for a reason now.

I am sure my lovely wife thinks I am crazy even thinking of taking the dis into consideration of our vacation. The things I must do before I die are arm wrestle Gaston and win, make the piano players at Jelly Rolls play Baba Oriely, and get a photo of the podcast team arranged by height with me in the middle to hang on my 'wall of shame'.

Since you were arguing with yourself, doesn't that also mean that you lost?
I can't lose if I won. I won, as I do at all things. (IF you haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy I sound like an idiot)

Back on topic, my spreadsheet for July 25 is blank... I need help in more ways than just what the last three psychiatrists have suggested. I really don't want to read a tweet that the team is in MK while I am waiting to be seated at Chefs de France.

I never truly appreciated how much less stress we create for ourselves by only doing counter service meals at Disney. No worries about ADR windows. No worries about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We eat when we're ready to eat wherever we happen to be.

I never truly appreciated how much less stress we create for ourselves by only doing counter service meals at Disney. No worries about ADR windows. No worries about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We eat when we're ready to eat wherever we happen to be.
I just can't rely on QS dining. We've had to buy snacks to eat while waiting in the line at Cosmic Rays. We stood in line at Sleepy Hollow to find out they are out of waffle mix and Friars Nook for the pot roast mac & cheese to be told "we only have hot dogs, no mac & cheese for now". My wife and I like the excitement and build up in planning. We like having a schedule to plan our FP+ around. It keeps things orderly. We even plan out and QS meals we want knowing there needs some flexibility built in.

There is a bad side to this planning though. If something changes we have learned how to adapt over the years. If you are not familiar enough with the parks and resorts this can really cause havoc. If you make an ADR for BOG at 6:30 but don't get seated until 6:50 your FP for BTR at 7:30 is in jeopardy. The potential for a Dis team event is putting me back to being a rookie.

We would be going at this time anyway, and I really should be taking this as getting a bonus, but my OCD is kicking in now.

We've had to buy snacks to eat while waiting in the line at Cosmic Rays. We stood in line at Sleepy Hollow to find out they are out of waffle mix and Friars Nook for the pot roast mac & cheese to be told "we only have hot dogs, no mac & cheese for now".
I'm curious when you go. Is it typically at peak times, like Christmas? I've never had a line so long that we needed to buy snacks to sustain us and I can't think of any time when a restaurant was out of something.

I will say that we learned long ago (from the Birnbaum guide) to eat at off times. We typically have lunch at 11 and dinner at 4 to avoid the peak crowds. Last week, we walked right up to the registers multiple times with no lines at all. And the CS food at Disney is so good. We don't see the need to spend the time or money for TS.

I'm curious when you go. Is it typically at peak times, like Christmas? I've never had a line so long that we needed to buy snacks to sustain us and I can't think of any time when a restaurant was out of something.

I will say that we learned long ago (from the Birnbaum guide) to eat at off times. We typically have lunch at 11 and dinner at 4 to avoid the peak crowds. Last week, we walked right up to the registers multiple times with no lines at all. And the CS food at Disney is so good. We don't see the need to spend the time or money for TS.
The Friars Nook happened last January. We had a 7:00 BOG ADR and needed a bite to eat around 2:00. Cosmic Rays in the middle of July was about 30 minutes to wait to order. The waffle at Sleepy Hollow was around 11:00 the week after Thanksgiving.

We go 1-3 times a year for the past 20 years; it has gotten worse over the years. QS CMs seem to care less than someone at Taco Bell, and they have no problem saying that they are out of food and no idea when more will be available.

Last edited:
E
Trying to plan most of our "hard to get" ADRs for later in the week (specifically BOG - haven't gotten in there for dinner yet). I think most of the other "new to us" (Sci-Fi, Kona breakfast, Hoop De Doo) won't be too hard to get if we need to adjust things

We are coming in on the 21st and was able to score a BOG dinner reservation for the 22nd. I figure I can always cancel if the anniversary plans conflict, but we've never been there for dinner and wanted to give it a try.

I'm hoping there will be an announcement soon with a rough itinerary. Flights for southwest will be released on February 18 so I won't start to really freak out till that week.

I really hope that the big event will be at a large venue inside a WDW park, somewhere like World Showplace pavilion, or maybe even someplace really unique like the Ellens Energy Adventure dinosaur scene! :hyper:

E

We are coming in on the 21st and was able to score a BOG dinner reservation for the 22nd. I figure I can always cancel if the anniversary plans conflict, but we've never been there for dinner and wanted to give it a try.

I'm hoping there will be an announcement soon with a rough itinerary. Flights for southwest will be released on February 18 so I won't start to really freak out till that week.

I think you might want to check Southwest now because their flight schedule is currently open through August 5th. We already have our Southwest flights booked for this trip. Good Luck.

I think you might want to check Southwest now because their flight schedule is currently open through August 5th. We already have our Southwest flights booked for this trip. Good Luck.
Same here, we booked a few weeks back(in on the 19th out on the 28th) and the price has already more than doubled.

I'm now hoping that the podcasters will broadcast from a little sub under water in the living seas like Jesse and Joey did in full house.

If they want, we can make it a dinner show and rent out coral reef so all us listeners can have dinner while we watch them inside their little broadcast sub in the tank.

I need to make plane reservations soon!

If the schedule were posted I could determine whether to stay 3 or 4 nights. Makes a difference in room price and overall spending.

Guys lets us know!

Pete did confirm that the 25th is the "Big Day", but they don't have things finalized yet. There is chatter about some mini-meets as well.

Pete did confirm that the 25th is the "Big Day", but they don't have things finalized yet. There is chatter about some mini-meets as well.
Did he not also say "the time period between Fri. and Tue., with the BIG event - live - being the 255th?" Trying to remember if I heard right, since I won't be there, but tried to remember dates anyway....trying to be helpful.

OP......here is this past week's show, where Pete mentioned the above I talked about......it's near the beginning, under Housekeeping....

Last edited:
Did he not also say "the time period between Fri. and Tue., with the BIG event - live - being the 255th?" Trying to remember if I heard right, since I won't be there, but tried to remember dates anyway....trying to be helpful.

Yes, the "weekend" of the 22nd to the 26th.

Yes, the "weekend" of the 22nd to the 26th.
He was very clear about those dates. If the last event was on the 25th, I would think he would have said 22nd-25th, not 22nd-26th. So presumably there will be something happening on the 26th.

I'm actually more curious about the 22nd. I want to know what time the festivities will begin that day. We drive down. If we leave on the 21st, we can be there early afternoon on the 22nd which is fine if nothing happens until that evening. If, however, there will be activity earlier in the day, we would need to leave on the 20th and arrive on the 21st. I need to know to schedule my vacation time from work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter