Dirty Bedcovers???

IF you are the kind of person who brings lysol and wipes, you will enjoy a book I just read by Peter Greenburg, the travel editor on the today show.

In his book, "the travel detective" he talks about safety, security, and cleanliness in hotel rooms. Lots of interesting stuff that I didn't know!

For instance:
Don't walk around barefoot or let your kids - everyone should wear slippers or at least socks. If the family before had a kid pee or worse on the carpet - it won't have been washed before you check in!

Always take the bedspread off and put it aside - they wash the sheets every time but not the bedspreads.

Fill the bathtub full of hot water and empty it to make sure it's germ free before you bathe your kids.

For some people, cleaning this way is overkill - so I know it's not for everyone.

For me, I LOVE getting suggestions on how to clean it up a little. I have two little kids and I need all the help I can get.

Susy

I still think its gross. Would you walk into someones home that you dont even know and go lay down in their bed? That is about what I equal this to and it should be mandatory for sanitary reasons alone. Cleaning the sheets just isnt enough

Originally posted by safetymom

Maybe they need to make special rooms that cost more for those that need new bedspreads and blankets after every guest.

I don't think it should be necessary to charge more for a room with clean bedding but if they ever become available, reserve me a room!

I'd be willing to pay even more if they cleaned the carpet after each guest!;)

There have been a couple of times we have called housekeeping and asked for fresh bedspreads. If it bothers you so much, I would just call and ask. They don't need an explanation. You are the guest and should request what you need. I always tip the person a few dollars when they arrive though.

That should ALWAYS happen,but as far as clean blankets and spreads,that's not gonna be the case unless you make a big deal of it. Personally,I feel lucky that I'm not bothered by that stuff. As I said in a previous post,I take the spread off as soon as I get in my room. The blanket is something that NEVER goes near my face. When I stay in a rented room where others have been before me,I'm realistic in the sense that I know there are germs left behind. Its not my home. I don't think about it,or I couldn't stay there.

When we stayed at AKL during Christmas week, I noticed the mousekeepers changed comforters often in all the rooms near us. They changed ours at least 3 times during our one week stay without asking. So, I thanked her one day and said I thought it was unusual but she said there were a few viruses going around and they were trying to keep the guests as comfortable and healthy as possible. I truly appreciated that as my daughter was running a fever the first couple days.

Originally posted by magicalmoments
Well---I would still like clean sheets/bedspreads on my bed. Its just unsanitary to do it any other way.

I still feel that having clean bedding is what we should expect as a standard not an option.

JMO, Stacy

::yes:: I totally agree with this point! And no way should we have to pay more to have a special room with clean bedsheets and bedspread.

comforters are cleaned on a rotational basis but not after every checkout - before i worked in the resort business i thought it was changed as well ... The first thing I do when I enter a room is remove the comforter .. I also ask to double sheet ( tip the hskeeper ) .. and ask for a new/cleaned comforter .. trust me you dont want to know whats on it ..

They are changed monthly unless there is an obvious reason to do otherwise.

Sometimes it's best not to know too much. And I have to agree with some of the others, if this really bothers someone, then it is going to be very hard for them to travel.

And definitely if everyone begins requesting a new comforter and blanket each time they check in, Costs will go up.

Maybe an RV would be better.

Your right about RVing in one respect. I RV all year long BUT when it comes to Disney I can not use my RV for many reasons such as travel time to get there, husband with medical situations...much that goes into the decision to stay on site rather then fly.

But for any other travel we do we use our camper. I ALWAYS know my sheets are clean :)

But realizing everyone has different situations and needs......RVing may not be an option for them and expecting clean sheets and bedding should not be much to ask.

In this day and age with all the viruses and diseases going around I expect clean bedding. Maybe they are short handed in the housekeeping dept BUT the customers should not be slighted in the area of cleanliness to make up for it.

Stacy

Wow - lots of good responses. I think that when we go, I will ask to have all the bedding changed and give them 5 bucks. It's not a lot to pay for peace of mind. I have a really lousy immune system ever since I had mono a few years ago so that is what I will tell them.

I certainly don't think it's "unreasonable" to request clean blankets and bedspreads that don't have viruses, and various other human concoctions on them...I doubt they asked the person before me if they did anything indecent on the bed and if they did...well, I'll have the clean comforter, thanks. ;)

I agree that It's not unreasonable to request clean blankets and bedspreads. I think it is pretty nasty not to. The bedspread I could deal with, but not the blankets. The blankets are right on you. That just gives me the willies.

I had my beds stripped clean last trip. CM's don't like to do it because it is a lot of work and takes some time. You may want to offer them more than $5, $10 or $15 is more like it. I gave him $15 and it was well worth the peace of mind.

My husband also has an auto immune disorder. He has Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteo. He taking an injection called Enbrel, along with his other many meds, which suppresses his immune system. This is how they treat this disease since the body attacks itself.

Anyway~
I did email DISNEY. I will see what they say and even more so--I hope they call me :)

BTW as a sidenote. My husband does travel with his meds which has never been a problem but he takes 2 injections a week which is 8 per month at a bill of $1200 for those 8 shots. Its a serious thing. He can and does pick up many things that come along which makes his recovery time very slow and dangerous depending on what virus is going around.

Having clean bedding is one thing we expect. It could be detrimental to his condition.

I really think it all comes down to being short handed in the laundry dept at the resorts. It doesnt take much to throw a bedspread on top of a bed. I do not want the bedding issue to be the deciding factor on where things get 'cut' from.

I will let ya know what they respond with as soon as I get a response.

Stacy

It is the same no matter where you stay WDW or not. They don't change the bedspread after every guest.

If you have immune problems then I can see them doing it.

Originally posted by magicalmoments
My husband also has an auto immune disorder. He has Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteo. He taking an injection called Enbrel, along with his other many meds, which suppresses his immune system. This is how they treat this disease since the body attacks itself.

Anyway~
I did email DISNEY. I will see what they say and even more so--I hope they call me :)

BTW as a sidenote. My husband does travel with his meds which has never been a problem but he takes 2 injections a week which is 8 per month at a bill of $1200 for those 8 shots. Its a serious thing. He can and does pick up many things that come along which makes his recovery time very slow and dangerous depending on what virus is going around.

Having clean bedding is one thing we expect. It could be detrimental to his condition.

I really think it all comes down to being short handed in the laundry dept at the resorts. It doesnt take much to throw a bedspread on top of a bed. I do not want the bedding issue to be the deciding factor on where things get 'cut' from.

I will let ya know what they respond with as soon as I get a response.

Stacy

The response I previously posted is Disney's policy. Once a month unless there is an obvious reason to change them sooner. That includes comforters and blankets. It has to do with the cost of cleaning the items not putting them on the beds.

Originally posted by Ever_After
::yes:: I totally agree with this point! And no way should we have to pay more to have a special room with clean bedsheets and bedspread.

they always change the bedsheets!!

you all act like that only disney has this policy. This is a industry standard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter