Did you send a letter to DCL regarding the new carry-on beverage policy?

Did you send a letter to DCL regarding the new carry-on beverage policy?

• Total voters
I'm an avid disboards reader and I have noticed that Dug720 likes to "stir the pot" on a regular basis.

I never realized that voicing a contrary opinion on a discussion board was considered "stirring the pot". And while people may disagree with Dug720's opinion, it should at least open some eyes to the reality that it is not only people who are against the policy change that are contacting DCL. While people who like the change may not be well-represented in these discussions, for fear of being accused of stirring the pot, you have to wonder how many people actually like the change and have made that clear to DCL as well. That may provide some insight as to why, even in the face of what appears to be significant opposition, DCL doesn't seem to be taking the complaints to heart.

I never realized that voicing a contrary opinion on a discussion board was considered "stirring the pot". And while people may disagree with Dug720's opinion, it should at least open some eyes to the reality that it is not only people who are against the policy change that are contacting DCL. While people who like the change may not be well-represented in these discussions, for fear of being accused of stirring the pot, you have to wonder how many people actually like the change and have made that clear to DCL as well. That may provide some insight as to why, even in the face of what appears to be significant opposition, DCL doesn't seem to be taking the complaints to heart.

I haven't noticed you responding on almost every thread on this site with an opinion that is opposite of the OP so you should have no fear of me "accusing" you of anything.

I now have a $400 credit on my disney visa because the deposits on our two placeholders that we canceled have posted. As soon as I spend that money, I plan to call and cancel the credit card. I know they will ask why and I will tell them the truth. We used the card to earn rewards that we always used onboard and we don't plan on taking any more disney cruises because of this policy change and how it was rolled out

I am not sure if Disney will get that message or not.

If you have a cruise booked and object to the new policy, cancel your cruise and tell them why.
That is about the only way your objections are going to noticed. Otherwise, one push of the "delete" button will be the fate of your complaints.

Good morning all!

I just wanted to circle back with my latest update. Yesterday afternoon I received a call from a DCL rep regarding my e-mail that I sent about the alcohol policy. I also mentioned my disappointment with the ending of the Mickey Mail and suggested that charge a nominal fee and bring that service back as it was a huge help to us to NOT have to take along autograph books each time we met a character. I would have happily paid $10-15 to have that convienence moving forward.

In any case, the main points of my email outlined why I was unhappy about the change...mainly the poor way it was rolled out and the lack of notice for those of us who had already PIF. The convo started out well, but quickly the rep became patronizing and said that they had to stop guests from bringing on cases of wine and not being able to keep it away from their children ?)?>^?! Huh? Then he said, I'm sorry we can't allow people to fill up multiple suitcases with as much alcohol as they can carry. I asked if they would consider swapping out the bottle of wine for a bottle of spirits. He actually told me kids are more likely to drink their parents "hard liquor" rather than wine because it tastes better. Very odd, right? I heard the party line about how this brings them more in-line with the industry and how they thought long and hard about the implications.

I said that if I was not an active member of on-line discussion boards, I would have never known about the change. He said that people began being notified of the change on 8/17 (the exact date) and the media covered it extensively so I Should be aware of the change. I said that YES, that may be true, but what about an official e-mail noting the change for those people who are already booked. He said I would get that about 45 days from the sailing. Well, that doesn't help someone who is already PIF.

He said that he has not been made aware of a single guest who has cancelled their trip due to the policy change. I said that it may be difficult for some disappointed guests to actually cancel becuase they likely have already made airline/hotel/car arrangements that may not be refundable. They may have small children that are super excited to go on a "magical" trip. To close things out, I got a psychology lesson about how change is difficult for everyone and in time, we may even see this policy change as a good thing. Wonder what that means...

In all, I felt his tone was condescending and he was simply checking the box. I don't know what exactly I expected, but maybe just a wee bit of empathy? I'm not one to generally write and fuss about things, but this aggrevated me. At a minimum, I think those of us who were PIF should have been grandfathered in or they should have rolled out the policy with a longer lead time. I just felt it was done in a sleazy way.

Before you flame, I'm simply sharing my thoughts. I truly love Disney and hope to continue to cruise DCL, but this is the first time I've started a trip with a bad taste in my mouth. It's definitely not about the alcohol (we aren't huge drinkers and didn't even carry anything on during our last cruise), it's more about the process of notifying me of this significant change to what I thought I was booking. It certainly doesn't change the greatness of the DCL product, but it was so hush-hush it made me question what else may be on the horizon.

Truth is...as a stockholder I'm happy they are trying to increase revenue, but as a consumer...I wonder what the long-term impact will be to those Disney loyalists who have come to expect the "above and beyond" service that is so classically Disney.

Anywho, that's my situation...thought I would post here just to close the loop in regards to my e-mail submisssion. Sorry for the long-windedness, I'm usually not this cranky!

Have a happy day y'all!

If you have a cruise booked and object to the new policy, cancel your cruise and tell them why.
That is about the only way your objections are going to noticed. Otherwise, one push of the "delete" button will be the fate of your complaints.

You should also make sure you are signing the petition, and putting comments if you so choose. This is in a location that will be compiled, and not able to be deleted.

#dclprohibitiongate2015

Last edited:
Good morning all!

I just wanted to circle back with my latest update. Yesterday afternoon I received a call from a DCL rep regarding my e-mail that I sent about the alcohol policy. I also mentioned my disappointment with the ending of the Mickey Mail and suggested that charge a nominal fee and bring that service back as it was a huge help to us to NOT have to take along autograph books each time we met a character. I would have happily paid $10-15 to have that convienence moving forward.

In any case, the main points of my email outlined why I was unhappy about the change...mainly the poor way it was rolled out and the lack of notice for those of us who had already PIF. The convo started out well, but quickly the rep became patronizing and said that they had to stop guests from bringing on cases of wine and not being able to keep it away from their children ?)?>^?! Huh? Then he said, I'm sorry we can't allow people to fill up multiple suitcases with as much alcohol as they can carry. I asked if they would consider swapping out the bottle of wine for a bottle of spirits. He actually told me kids are more likely to drink their parents "hard liquor" rather than wine because it tastes better. Very odd, right? I heard the party line about how this brings them more in-line with the industry and how they thought long and hard about the implications.

I said that if I was not an active member of on-line discussion boards, I would have never known about the change. He said that people began being notified of the change on 8/17 (the exact date) and the media covered it extensively so I Should be aware of the change. I said that YES, that may be true, but what about an official e-mail noting the change for those people who are already booked. He said I would get that about 45 days from the sailing. Well, that doesn't help someone who is already PIF.

He said that he has not been made aware of a single guest who has cancelled their trip due to the policy change. I said that it may be difficult for some disappointed guests to actually cancel becuase they likely have already made airline/hotel/car arrangements that may not be refundable. They may have small children that are super excited to go on a "magical" trip. To close things out, I got a psychology lesson about how change is difficult for everyone and in time, we may even see this policy change as a good thing. Wonder what that means...

In all, I felt his tone was condescending and he was simply checking the box. I don't know what exactly I expected, but maybe just a wee bit of empathy? I'm not one to generally write and fuss about things, but this aggrevated me. At a minimum, I think those of us who were PIF should have been grandfathered in or they should have rolled out the policy with a longer lead time. I just felt it was done in a sleazy way.

Before you flame, I'm simply sharing my thoughts. I truly love Disney and hope to continue to cruise DCL, but this is the first time I've started a trip with a bad taste in my mouth. It's definitely not about the alcohol (we aren't huge drinkers and didn't even carry anything on during our last cruise), it's more about the process of notifying me of this significant change to what I thought I was booking. It certainly doesn't change the greatness of the DCL product, but it was so hush-hush it made me question what else may be on the horizon.

Truth is...as a stockholder I'm happy they are trying to increase revenue, but as a consumer...I wonder what the long-term impact will be to those Disney loyalists who have come to expect the "above and beyond" service that is so classically Disney.

Anywho, that's my situation...thought I would post here just to close the loop in regards to my e-mail submisssion. Sorry for the long-windedness, I'm usually not this cranky!

Have a happy day y'all!

Sorry that you didn't feel better hanging up! I know they can't change it based on just your call, or even all of our calls combined, but a little empathy and Customer service goes a long way.

I feel exactly as you do - the alcohol policy in of itself doesn't bother me. It's the underhanded and sneaky manner in which it was implemented and the full blown effort they are making to squash any opinions that vary from this being the BEST DECISION EVER (sung in my Spongebob voice). Mind you, this is coming from someone that lets her son swig from her tequila, so who am I to have a valid opinion :crazy2: And really - with that argument / explanation that you were given - if my child is going to drink my hard liquor because I can't control them, what's going to stop them from drinking my beer/wine/champagne - or even the mixed drink that I walk up to the bar to purchase and bring back to my room?!?

At the end of the day, even though it may not make a difference at all, I hope everyone that is upset at least signs the petition and hopefully feels the need to also comment so that it is all compiled in a single location.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise, all of this aside! I am still looking forward to our first (and most likely ONLY) Disney cruise next spring - I just have longer to wash the bad taste from lack of Customer service from my mouth.

#dclprohibitiongate2015

Last edited:
I wrote a letter. I am not a drinker at all and my husband only enjoys a beer here and there, but when he does partake, it's while on vacation and it's craft beer. DCL fails BIG TIME in the craft beer area and the caribbean ports are even worse. So limiting the size & quantity of beer to be carried on does affect him greatly. I didn't stop there though. I also included my disappointment in the hot tub hours. In my letter I made it about how I was always an advocate for DCL being the best ship for adults, but now with these two policy changes it greatly changes our views on the cruise line. I'm sure it won't do much but you never know.

they had to stop guests from bringing on cases of wine and not being able to keep it away from their children.
So Disney is doing this to help me become a more responsible parent. How very special of them. Thanks, Mickey!

Then he said, I'm sorry we can't allow people to fill up multiple suitcases with as much alcohol as they can carry.
So now we've gone from "As much liquor as they can carry" to "None at all." Hmm. I guess they have never heard of the term "moderation". Wouldn't limiting guests to a total volume of 750ml of liquor have solved the "as much as they could carry" problem?

I asked if they would consider swapping out the bottle of wine for a bottle of spirits. He actually told me kids are more likely to drink their parents "hard liquor" rather than wine because it tastes better.
Wow. Just...wow! Who came up with this talking point? Some moron who doesn't know Yellow Tail from Mouton Rothschild? If they had said, "It is easier for children to sneak a swig of Jack Daniels or Jose Cuervo from a srewcapped fifth than it is for them to secretly pull a cork and chug from a wine bottle", I might actually have given them some credit for creative thinking. But linking the new policy to taste? I don't know if I should be laughing or screaming!

anyone watch "raising hope"? there was an episode where people were protesting. Bert observed that it was great they were protesting and carrying signs and making petitions. He just wished they would come with an idea that would actually work.

my point is: it IS important to raise your voices and express your concerns and/or outrage. However, the only REAL way to sway a corporation (in MOST cases) is to effect their bottom line. One must assume that MOST people don't know about the change (we are a large group of DISers but a small percentage of sailors) and, even if EVERYONE is aware, after the initial firestorm, the ships will remain filled and the $$$$ will flow.

Think back about the outrage over the years with each price increase, displeasure about ports, etc etc etc ad infinitum. Yet, we are still here supporting DCL and those who have left have had their lounge chairs quickly filled. And, DCL does comparative little advertising on mass media outlets...because they don't have to.

Anyhow, I personally don't care about the liquor carry on thing. I agree about the sloppy handling of the change. I just think they're too expensive. I hope you all succeed in your attempts to revoke the policy change.

If this policy is to get them "in line" with other cruise lines, then why did they increase the corkage fee rather than decrease it. From what I have read, other cruise lines seem to charge $10-15 corkage fee and not $25.

If this policy is to get them "in line" with other cruise lines, then why did they increase the corkage fee rather than decrease it. From what I have read, other cruise lines seem to charge $10-15 corkage fee and not $25.
I'm fairly certain that when DCL says "other cruise lines", it is looking at, and pointing to RCCL who they must view as their steepest "head on" competitor. Corkage fees vary from cruise line to cruise line, and you are correct that some are as low as $10-$15. However, RCCL is $25 and they do not allow liquor to be brought aboard. So in essence, DCL has aligned itself with RCCL, and not the cruise industry as a whole.

I'm fairly certain that when DCL says "other cruise lines", it is looking at, and pointing to RCCL who they must view as their steepest "head on" competitor. Corkage fees vary from cruise line to cruise line, and you are correct that some are as low as $10-$15. However, RCCL is $25 and they do not allow liquor to be brought aboard. So in essence, DCL has aligned itself with RCCL, and not the cruise industry as a whole.

When Royal Caribbean changed their policy to allow 2-750ml bottles of wine/stateroom, they eliminated their corkage fee entirely. When DCL changed their policy to limit carry-on to 2-750ml bottles, they raised their corkage fee. Does anyone really believe they give a tinker's dam what DIS'rs think. They have big round filing bins where they will carefully deposit all of your letters and petitions. If all four Disney ships sail at capacity each week, they will have carried ~1 million passengers in the course of a year. Presuming 2/3 of those are first time Disney cruisers, even if every single repeat cruiser who had a problem with the policy wrote a letter, the tally would be only in the 10% range of their total bookings. That's a bean counter's dream ratio.

Last edited:
When Royal Caribbean changed their policy to allow 2-750ml bottles of wine/stateroom, they eliminated their corkage fee entirely.
Ahh. Good to know. This is widely mis-reported on the internet, (and I believe on the Dis podcast).

Honestly, I junk it's cute that people think that Holtz or Iger read complaint letters addressed to them. There's a whole team who sorts through complaints. That's their entire job and it rarely, if ever, gets past the hourly CM level.

That being said, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that Disney anticipated that people were going to throw a fit about the rule change. They probably proactively made the rules harsh, and after the predetermined amount of hate mail, they'll relax the policy a bit so that people will feel like they "won".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter