• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Demand based ticket pricing

Disney releases quarterly earnings and is a public company I think we would know if they are in trouble or not.

Disney could pay for the existing construction projects without raising the prices. I don't think anyone does expect to pay the same they did in 1990 in 2000. That's called inflation I explained that in my previous post.

Well, while you continue to teach a class about inflation, I'll be off happily planning my trip to WDW (which will be about $600 more expensive than my last, but so long as I'm in Disney, I don't mind). Have a magical day.

Well, while you continue to teach a class about inflation, I'll be off happily planning my trip to WDW (which will be about $600 more expensive than my last, but so long as I'm in Disney, I don't mind). Have a magical day.

Here, here. I arrive in 4 days. Is it going to cost more in food and tickets than the last trip? Yes. Do I care? No. Why? Because I want to be at Disney.

Also, could people please get off of the inflation thing. Very few things actually change price in relation to inflation. Most things that are not commodities outpace inflation all the time. Supply and demand has huge sway in a capitalist economy.

Here, here. I arrive in 4 days. Is it going to cost more in food and tickets than the last trip? Yes. Do I care? No. Why? Because I want to be at Disney.

Also, could people please get off of the inflation thing. Very few things actually change price in relation to inflation. Most things that are not commodities outpace inflation all the time. Supply and demand has huge sway in a capitalist economy.

Ok...I 100% believe you but I need some background info...

Are you a hedge fund manager? Global entertainment CEO? Head of a major reserve bank? Publisher of the world's pre-eminent text on Keynesian economics?

I'm sure you 100% pay the bill...there can be no doubt, right?

This is a discussion forum about Disney something all of us enjoy by no means are they perfect nor is anyone. These forums wouldn't exist if everything was perfect. I'm still enjoying my vacations but that doesn't mean I can't talk about them especially when issues come up.

Ok...I 100% believe you but I need some background info...

Are you a hedge fund manager? Global entertainment CEO? Head of a major reserve bank? Publisher of the world's pre-eminent text on Keynesian economics?

I'm sure you 100% pay the bill...there can be no doubt, right?

He's staying in a suite at the GF on FIL's DVC points. So the cost of Disney probably isn't beating him down to much :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
You can't just pretend it doesn't exist because it does.

Ok I have a question of Disney is so worried about crowds and huge demand and what not why haven't we seen any of those phased closings in the parks? You see them on the typical New Year's Eve or Fourth of July but if they are bursting at the seems so much why don't we see more of them?

Even if you don't want to address inflation...look at the consumer price index since the housing crash...

Or any statistical analysis of purchasing power of individuals...

At least in this country...and as always probably worse elsewhere...many more consumers have fallen behind/been left behind than are prospering.

It's been basically the great train robbery on a societal level...

Now...even though ive managed to advance "relative to inflation"...that doesn't mean I'm gonna gloss over the financial angle to the discussions we have here...implying that people should "shut up, pay the bill, and deal
With it" (you can make some valid character analysis with that mindset) and try to keep fattening up.

My rust belt DNA is incompatible with what can very loosely be termed a "thought process" there.

Ok I have a question of Disney is so worried about crowds and huge demand and what not why haven't we seen any of those phased closings in the parks? You see them on the typical New Year's Eve or Fourth of July but if they are bursting at the seems so much why don't we see more of them?

Because "demand based pricing" is a hoax?

I can't say there's no chance it's for real...but I'm leaning against.

The fact that it's focused on weeks where specifically almost EVERYONE has the ability to travel smells fishy...because as many have pointed out - people are bound to the calendar and will statistically just pay more...which is the point.

Why aren't the new annuals blocked out like Florida seasonals are? Because those were to move/limit crowds...
Why no food and wine? Marathon weekend? Presidents' Day?

Those times are sometimes way harder to navigate due to compressed park hours due to sun and weather histories...

Last edited:
He's staying in a suite at the GF on FIL's DVC points. So the cost of Disney probably isn't beating him down to much :rolleyes:.

Actually I am staying in a Grand Villa at the BW on my FIL's points this time. I am paying for everything but the room this trip, I am in the process of becoming a DVC member myself, I have paid for many Disney vacations before, and I will pay for many more Disney vacations in the future. Who pays for a room on ONE trip has no bearing, and attacking me personally for having an opinion different than your own is not a great way to have a debate with people. We are all in different circumstances, we all have different opinions on what is a good value and what is not, we are all in different financial situations, none of that means that any persons opinion is more or less correct than your own. If you disagree with me and debate the facts and/or opinions that I have, I am more than happy to do that. However, I am not going to respond to any more posts that want to denigrate me because I am not paying for my room on this one vacation.

Actually I am staying in a Grand Villa at the BW on my FIL's points this time. I am paying for everything but the room this trip, I am in the process of becoming a DVC member myself, I have paid for many Disney vacations before, and I will pay for many more Disney vacations in the future. Who pays for a room on ONE trip has no bearing, and attacking me personally for having an opinion different than your own is not a great way to have a debate with people. We are all in different circumstances, we all have different opinions on what is a good value and what is not, we are all in different financial situations, none of that means that any persons opinion is more or less correct than your own. If you disagree with me and debate the facts and/or opinions that I have, I am more than happy to do that. However, I am not going to respond to any more posts that want to denigrate me because I am not paying for my room on this one vacation.

Good for you-YOUR FAMILY is staying on DVC points. What your ages are should not be relevant. You FIL is a smart man IMO. Think what he could rent those points for? Think what he could sell them for? The fact he chose to share them THIS YEAR with you is simple kindness and caring.

That's awesome-and often overlooked in the DVC discussion.

Love that about DVC. Have treated many guests to rooms. Have rented many points out as well. Even renting is a nice option for folks IMO.

DVC expands into these areas as well. Not many folks just rent rooms every year with the intent of treating friends or family members. But with points dropping into your account every year, and the flexibility to set a guest up when, where and what accommodation-opportunities to share certainly are more likely to come up.

I would much rather see more DVC rooms/resorts converted/added than the current cash room majority, even just for these reasons.

I would like to know more on this as well. Esp DL-does that really get that full?

As for WDW-are they blacking days out that do close, or charge more? Or what was it you meant again?

I would like to know more on this as well. Esp DL-does that really get that full?

As for WDW-are they blacking days out that do close, or charge more? Or what was it you meant again?
Other than Fourth of July, and New years eve I haven't seen any phased closing of the parks including MK whatsoever.
Disneyland is similar, other than their 24 hour 60th anniversary kick off this year their parks don't close due to capacity either.

The parks are definitely crowded but are they crowded enough to justify this? The blackouts are for the christmas season and spring break/easter season which are basically the two busiest times of the year but even then I don't see major capacity issues.

I never said that it doesn't exist. I said that most things have price increases that outpace it. So to say that what Disney is doing is wrong because they are outpacing inflation is not correct.

I'm sorry, for a second there I thought you suggested that Disney turn away money... :D

If you think about the size of the Magic Kingdom it could physically contain many more people than are regularly in it. The problem is all those people want to stand/sit in the same 5 or 6 spots.

Of course there are other solutions to that than simply charging more and hoping people don't come.

Other than Fourth of July, and New years eve I haven't seen any phased closing of the parks including MK whatsoever.
Disneyland is similar, other than their 24 hour 60th anniversary kick off this year their parks don't close due to capacity either.

The parks are definitely crowded but are they crowded enough to justify this? The blackouts are for the christmas season and spring break/easter season which are basically the two busiest times of the year but even then I don't see major capacity issues.

Sorry I'm not following.

Wouldn't that just mean they should not raise ticket prices simply because it is too busy? What does that have to do with it being more expensive during peak season? When you said yourself that is when the phase closings occur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter