December 2015 Help Thread - What To See & Do (Crowd Calendar Added)

That sounds like a good long trip to me - but even then, one must accept that it is impossible to see and do everything. You know he saying about planning and laughing, I'm sure. :)

Arrival day sounds like a very long day, with an early flight, and IMO, you might end up with cranky pants folks on your hands if you push to do too much that first day.

I think if you make a list of things that are absolutely "must-do" things, and can take a few deep breaths and realize the rest is gravy, everything will go great. There's a spreadsheet in my PTR linked in my signature if you want to see how I've done it. There are always trade-offs, but I'm generally at peace with my 11,374th spreadsheet revision. LOL

You are right on all accounts. And the reason this trip is longer is because all other trips we were exhausted from doing too much over too little of a time period and then didn't make time to enjoy the resort. Resort days are important to us and I need to remember this. Thank you. My husband and I will have two high school seniors (18 and 17), so this is not about doing and seeing it all, but letting them have fun and remember what it is like to be a kids before they graduate. Thanks again for your advice!

If the cost is minimal go ahead and get it. Then get FP+ for that timeframe and play it by ear. Not sure if you have kids or ages - but they may be very excited to get to the park - or take in the resort - or your flight gets delayed - or ???. Or what if the weather the next several days isn't that nice so you might want to take advantage of a nice day in the park. After having my husband get the norovirus one year I was so glad we had added a park ticket onto the day we left because we ended up going to the park that morning so he could catch some rides he missed. Now, unless we are arriving very late at night, if we are on a package and the extra amount for the tickets is minimal - I always get tickets for arrival and departure day even though I know they will be shorter days in the park or we may not even end up using them. Just allows for some extra flexibility.

Just booked our trip! We will be in Orlando 11/28-12/7 and staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations on International Drive (free with my in-laws HGV bonus points). I think we will start parks on Monday the 30th or maybe Tuesday the 1st. I'm hoping the lower crowds will let us get more in. I'm planning on the Candlelight Processional Dining Package (recommendations?) as I know that my in-laws and my Mom will really like that so that will be our "Christmas" meal with the in-laws. Going to try to get Be Our Guest for lunch one day (I know it will be harder staying off-site to get the ADR). My kids are a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old boy so most of our trip will be dictated by what they want to do. Anything Star Wars will be first up followed by roller coasters. They don't seem to care about the characters so that makes life a bit easier. They've been to Disneyland (in-laws live near there) but none of us have been to WDW.

Some advice please: I am planning a long trip December 15-27. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge, where we have spent Thanksgiving week and dinner two years ago, Thanksgiving dinner nine years ago, and my husband and I celebrated our first year wedding anniversary there nineteen years ago. We have always wanted to spend Christmas there and since my daughter will be a senior in high school next year, we decided Christmas at the Wilderness Lodge would be a fitting way to end her childhood, so to speak. We are really looking forward to and hoping to have Christmas dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe since we have spent two other Thanksgivings there and also because we don't want to leave our resort Christmas Day. I just, however, realized today that on the first day I can schedule my ADRs (June 18), I can only schedule December 15-24, then I'll have to wait until June 28 to schedule any ADRs I want for December 25. I am considering arriving now on December 16 instead, which will allow me to schedule through December 25. I wasn't planning any ADRs on my original arrival day of December 15 anyway, and I wasn't planning anything important beyond December 25. Making sure we get a dinner reservation at the Whispering Canyon Cafe is the top priority out of all of our dining reservations. However, when I have been pricing out airline fares for December 15-27 vs December 16-27, it is $100-$150 cheaper to arrive on the December 15. With the cost of the hotel for that evening it is pretty much a wash, but I'd much rather spend that money on an extra night at the Wilderness Lodge than on the airline ticket. So I am asking for some advice here. If I wait until June 28, instead of June 19 (the day I could make my ADRs through December 25 if I arrived on December 16 instead of December 15), is there a high chance that I would be shut out of getting reservations at my desired restaurant for Christmas dinner?

Some advice please: I am planning a long trip December 15-27. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge, where we have spent Thanksgiving week and dinner two years ago, Thanksgiving dinner nine years ago, and my husband and I celebrated our first year wedding anniversary there nineteen years ago. We have always wanted to spend Christmas there and since my daughter will be a senior in high school next year, we decided Christmas at the Wilderness Lodge would be a fitting way to end her childhood, so to speak. We are really looking forward to and hoping to have Christmas dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe since we have spent two other Thanksgivings there and also because we don't want to leave our resort Christmas Day. I just, however, realized today that on the first day I can schedule my ADRs (June 18), I can only schedule December 15-24, then I'll have to wait until June 28 to schedule any ADRs I want for December 25. I am considering arriving now on December 16 instead, which will allow me to schedule through December 25. I wasn't planning any ADRs on my original arrival day of December 15 anyway, and I wasn't planning anything important beyond December 25. Making sure we get a dinner reservation at the Whispering Canyon Cafe is the top priority out of all of our dining reservations. However, when I have been pricing out airline fares for December 15-27 vs December 16-27, it is $100-$150 cheaper to arrive on the December 15. With the cost of the hotel for that evening it is pretty much a wash, but I'd much rather spend that money on an extra night at the Wilderness Lodge than on the airline ticket. So I am asking for some advice here. If I wait until June 28, instead of June 19 (the day I could make my ADRs through December 25 if I arrived on December 16 instead of December 15), is there a high chance that I would be shut out of getting reservations at my desired restaurant for Christmas dinner?
I have never planned ahead enough for an over 10 day trip to be sure, but shouldn't the +10 carry on throughout the whole reservation? Meaning, if the 18th is your first open day, then you should be able to reserve for day 11 of your trip on the 19th? Again, I can't speak from experience, but I was thinking this is how the +10 works - maybe someone else knows for sure?

I have never planned ahead enough for an over 10 day trip to be sure, but shouldn't the +10 carry on throughout the whole reservation? Meaning, if the 18th is your first open day, then you should be able to reserve for day 11 of your trip on the 19th? Again, I can't speak from experience, but I was thinking this is how the +10 works - maybe someone else knows for sure?

That's what I originally thought, but when I called today, I was told I would have to wait until June 28 to book ADRs for December 25, June 29 to book ADRs for December 26, etc.

Any chance that the person you talked to on the phone was misinformed? I have had misinformation from phone dining reservations people before, even with telling me reservations weren't available (I was calling to make them to add my daughter's birthday to it, as you cannot do that online) that I was able to find online both before the phone call and after, which is how I ended up making it, and just made sure they saw her birthday button when we checked in at the restaurant. I am hoping it was misinformation, as I am going over the xmas to new years time frame, and was hoping to have some easier luck making reservations over the tail-end of the trip, the first longer than 10 made before reservation day :)

Is your time flexible for dinner? I think if you are flexible you should be fine - and I am guessing more will open up at45 day window too. We ate Christmas dinner there five years ago and didn't have any trouble booking - we also decidedon the trip late so we were well after 180 day window

Is your time flexible for dinner? I think if you are flexible you should be fine - and I am guessing more will open up at45 day window too. We ate Christmas dinner there five years ago and didn't have any trouble booking - we also decidedon the trip late so we were well after 180 day window

Yes, my dinner times are flexible. We are planning a resort day Christmas Day and don't plan on going anywhere for the entire day.

Any chance that the person you talked to on the phone was misinformed? I have had misinformation from phone dining reservations people before, even with telling me reservations weren't available (I was calling to make them to add my daughter's birthday to it, as you cannot do that online) that I was able to find online both before the phone call and after, which is how I ended up making it, and just made sure they saw her birthday button when we checked in at the restaurant. I am hoping it was misinformation, as I am going over the xmas to new years time frame, and was hoping to have some easier luck making reservations over the tail-end of the trip, the first longer than 10 made before reservation day :)

I did just call again. When I called this morning I was put through to Disney Dining Reservations, when I called a few minutes ago, I was put through to resort reservations. The person I just talked to said I could schedule ADRs for the first 10 days of my trip (Dec. 15-24) on June 18. That I knew. However, he told me I could make ADRs for Dec. 25 the following day...so June 19, NOT June 28. This representative told me he was 100% sure this is how it worked, yet the other representative I talked to this morning was also sure that the opposite information she gave me was accurate. :(

I did just call again. When I called this morning I was put through to Disney Dining Reservations, when I called a few minutes ago, I was put through to resort reservations. The person I just talked to said I could schedule ADRs for the first 10 days of my trip (Dec. 15-24) on June 18. That I knew. However, he told me I could make ADRs for Dec. 25 the following day...so June 19, NOT June 28. This representative told me he was 100% sure this is how it worked, yet the other representative I talked to this morning was also sure that the opposite information she gave me was accurate. :(
If you make a separate thread & ask I'm sure someone on this board or the resorts board will be able to give you a more definitive answer :)

If you make a separate thread & ask I'm sure someone on this board or the resorts board will be able to give you a more definitive answer :)

Good idea. I'll likely have several different answers by the end of the night. :)

This will be my brother's and my first trip to Disney December 16th to the 21st and I am trying to lengthen it because there are so many things I want to do. I cannot wait. This is a wonderful thread. :)

We 'll be there December 8-12! It's my 3 yr olds first trip and sort of my 5 yr olds (she was 18 months the first time and had no clue what was going on lol). Also my in always first trip. I'm kind of wondering if December 9th for MK is REALLY going to be THAT crowded. That's the day I was thinking of going BC there are no evening parades or fireworks the rest of the time we are there (due to MVMCP). Decisions decisions.

I am hoping for some guidance from folks that have experience with capacity closures. I am trying to plan our park days (12/23-12/30). I am strongly advising my DH that we do either a resort day or AK on 12/25, as we will want to start our day with stockings and breakfast, but he keeps saying, "but why not MK?" If I booked a lunch time ADR, would this allow us in if the park was at a capacity closure? Realistically, we could be there by 10:00 comfortably. I would not plan on getting much done at MK that day. We will use 2 of our other days there. Thanks for input!

We always avoid MK on Christmas day - it will be wall to wall people from late morning to late afternoon. If you just want to go for an ADR and really not try to ride much (perhaps use FP+ to get a few in) I would plan for an early lunch ADR and be at the park fairly early.

There are 4 stages of closing, and an ADR will not get you in at the fourth stage - nobody gets in at that stage. I don't know if it would hit stage 4 by 10 am, but I'll bet it would be close.

I am in a similar boat. We were booked Dec 19-26 and when flights were released, it was a wash to add 2 park days and leave on the 17th. We are staying 9 nights, which is longer than usual for us, but it was worth it for us. Our tradition is to eat at Crystal Palace on Christmas Day (I know, we're crazy!) hope you get the ressie you want!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter