December 2015 Help Thread - What To See & Do (Crowd Calendar Added)

Beautiful pictures! Has anyone been on the carriage (sleigh) ride? I saw a video that looked like it went around where the campsites are decorated. I thought I would surprise my daughter with a carriage ride after Hoop de Doo one night of our trip since we would be over there anyway. Is it worth $70? Any highlights of your experience with it?

Thanks for this thread! We are taking our first December trip this year 7th-13th. I am so ready to start booking ADRs!

Great thread! I'm tentatively planning a trip Christmas week, 12/20-12/26 or 27.
2 questions:
1) The Candlelight Processional package gets you special viewing of fireworks? I assume that's Illuminations, where is the seating? I haven't looked into that much, but I want to do it, if we can.
2) I know we won't be there for any MVMCP, but I think I remember reading they do the Christmas parade the week of Christmas and New Year's. Is that the only Christmas party opportunity available outside of the party?
Thanks!
We are going almost the exact same dates and have done so before. Spring and Summers are filled with baseball and DH teaches and DS in high school - so only option. Yes, the MVMCP will be over BUT the awesome parade will take place of the regular parade and there will be plenty of decorations. The early part of your trip will have more manageable crowds throughout the day so I would plan accordingly. The 25th - 27th will be packed in the afternoons - mornings aren't bad. If you are staying on-site, there will be a lot more EMH than normal to help accommodate the crowds and park hours tend to be longer - especially Magic Kingdom.

Great thread, MD!!!! Very helpful.

Swan/Dolphin do it up very nicely also, and with Santa too.

Christmas.jpg

tikihut2.jpg

And world's largest chocolate Santa

http://santasfavoriteresort.com/chocolate.html

Plus their own version of the Osborne Lights on the
walkway, music and dancing lights
about every 30 minutes

PB280997.jpg
Now this right here is exciting! We will be there Dec 19-26 and this will be on my list.

This is the first year I have to give up on my beloved October and go in December. Husband got his first teaching job this year so we have to go during Christmas break, the idea already makes me sick with worry, but the other times we can go, summer and spring break are not any better. Hopefully there will be some tips on surviving Christmas week.
Don't worry! My DH is a career changer and after many a wonderful Fall and January trip we are now "fortunately" stuck with December. This will be our third December trip and I am so excited! The first time we went at this time I was dreading the crowds as our entire family are not big crowd people. Here are my tips for surviving:

1) Take advantage of AM EMH hours if staying on-site. Parks will get very crowded in the afternoon. Disney also has extended hours and EMH right around and over the holidays which helps if you are an early riser or late nighter
2) Plan activities away from the park for the afternoons (pool - yes even in December my DS finds a warm enough day or two each trip), resort hop and check out the decorations, carriage ride, stroll resort grounds, nap in a hammock or by the pool, linger longer at a restaurant
3) Look at the recommended parks for each day - we have found these to be pretty accurate - but again they are just a guess based on historical data
4) Take in the holiday magic and don't worry about what you don't get to see or do (after all you will get to experience some unique holiday Disney magic like Osborne Lights, holiday parade (nothing beats the marching soldiers!), and the amazing decorations)

I'm glad we were "forced" to go over Christmas and can't wait for our trip this year!

Hi!
my DD8 and I will be at WL from 12/19-12/26, first Christmas trip and super excited for the holiday festivities! Have read tons about going at Christmas so prepared for crowds etc and just waiting for Josh's crowd calendar for Dec 2015 to plan park days. Right now no plans to go to any park Christmas Day so trying to plan some special events. Was thinking Epcot day Christmas Eve with Candlelight processional and dinner for Christmas eve and 1900 Park Fare for Christmas brunch , then tour the monorail resorts and finally Hoop De Doo for Christmas dinner? not married to any of this and welcome suggestions!
thanks to all Christmas veterans!

We will be at WDW December 19-28. We have been this time of year before, but have always stayed with family and haven't ventured out in Christmas Day. This will be our first time staying onsite at Christmas and we are very excited! :santa:

We were also thinking about having Christmas brunch at 1900 Park Fare! We are hoping to get an early start most days but thought we might slow it down on Christmas and maybe have a later morning with brunch around 10:00 or 11:00. Then maybe check out the gingerbread house at the GF and head over to EP to mainly see the Holiday Storytellers. My concern with this plan would be getting to 1900 Park Fare from POP. I have heard that traffic to MK can be crazy that day. I asked on the POP thread as well for suggestions for transportation but hoped that someone here might have some insight. Most days I would think just take the bus to MK and then the monorail to GF, but not sure if that's the best idea on Christmas at that time.:confused3

@rapunzelmom, I think your plans sound great! Maybe we will see you at 1900 Park Fare! :thumbsup2

Is the candle light procession just christian Xmas helms?

Are there different music on different nights?

Any links to this years line up?

1. Is the candle light procession just christian Xmas helms?

2. Are there different music on different nights?

3. Any links to this years line up?

1. I'm assuming that last word is some sort of weird auto-correct, but if what you're asking is if the Candlelight Processional is strictly religious Christmas songs, then yes. The songs are interspersed within a celebrity narrating the story of the birth of Jesus.

2. Nope, every show has the same music.

3. Not yet, and anyway, the full line-up takes a while to nail down, and it seems like changes are more the norm than not.

1. I'm assuming that last word is some sort of weird auto-correct, but if what you're asking is if the Candlelight Processional is strictly religious Christmas songs, then yes. The songs are interspersed within a celebrity narrating the story of the birth of Jesus.

2. Nope, every show has the same music.

3. Not yet, and anyway, the full line-up takes a while to nail down, and it seems like changes are more the norm than not.

Thank you very much, I have been looking for awhile if they play non Religious songs.

Sorry about the typo error.

Is the candle light procession just christian Xmas helms?

Are there different music on different nights?

Any links to this years line up?

The purpose of the Candlelight Processional is to tell the (almost) Biblical story of the coming of Jesus. All of the songs are about Him and the reason that He came. There are no songs about Christmas trees, santa, etc. The only thing that changes, for the most part, is the narrator. Each narrator has 2 - 3 nights in a row and then a new one.

We will be at WDW December 19-28. We have been this time of year before, but have always stayed with family and haven't ventured out in Christmas Day. This will be our first time staying onsite at Christmas and we are very excited! :santa:

We were also thinking about having Christmas brunch at 1900 Park Fare! We are hoping to get an early start most days but thought we might slow it down on Christmas and maybe have a later morning with brunch around 10:00 or 11:00. Then maybe check out the gingerbread house at the GF and head over to EP to mainly see the Holiday Storytellers. My concern with this plan would be getting to 1900 Park Fare from POP. I have heard that traffic to MK can be crazy that day. I asked on the POP thread as well for suggestions for transportation but hoped that someone here might have some insight. Most days I would think just take the bus to MK and then the monorail to GF, but not sure if that's the best idea on Christmas at that time.:confused3

I think your idea sounds great. I do not have not been in WDW on Christmas day in all of my December visits. We have always left their park property by the 19th. Regardless of what you choose to do that day, there will be a great deal of traffic in the WDW area. I believe if you give yourself a lot of time you should not have any issues having your brunch. If you arrive at the G-Flo early, you can look at the decorations, gingerbread house, pin trade, walk around the beautiful property and relax in the lobby. You are going to have a great time!! :)

Hi!
my DD8 and I will be at WL from 12/19-12/26, first Christmas trip and super excited for the holiday festivities! Have read tons about going at Christmas so prepared for crowds etc and just waiting for Josh's crowd calendar for Dec 2015 to plan park days. Right now no plans to go to any park Christmas Day so trying to plan some special events. Was thinking Epcot day Christmas Eve with Candlelight processional and dinner for Christmas eve and 1900 Park Fare for Christmas brunch , then tour the monorail resorts and finally Hoop De Doo for Christmas dinner? not married to any of this and welcome suggestions!
thanks to all Christmas veterans!

You are staying at (IMO) the loveliest resort at Christmastime. I am so disappointed that I do not own there and I can never get a reservation through DVC at 7 months out. I have stayed here at Christmas before and it was wonderful! I have stayed at many WDW resorts in December and this one is by far the one that screams "Christmas". Everything!! The music, warmth, decor, you name it!!

Your idea sounds wonderful! Have a great trip!

Thanks for this thread! We are taking our first December trip this year 7th-13th. I am so ready to start booking ADRs!

LOL Me too! A little less than a month for me, about a month for you. You have picked a great week to visit, too!! Where are you staying?

My husband and I, along with my daughter (18) and her friend (17), are staying at the Wilderness Lodge December 15-27. I have been searching different things for us to do to celebrate the holiday, so having all of this information condensed in one thread is perfect. I am also thinking of doing the Holiday Sleigh Ride one night at Fort Wilderness and the Candlelight Processional a different night. We have never done either of these things during previous trips, so I would love to hear what others think about the sleigh ride and the best time to see the Candlelight Processional.

The purpose of the Candlelight Processional is to tell the (almost) Biblical story of the coming of Jesus. All of the songs are about Him and the reason that He came. There are no songs about Christmas trees, santa, etc. The only thing that changes, for the most part, is the narrator. Each narrator has 2 - 3 nights in a row and then a new one.
Thank you.

A few photos from WDW Holiday season:

roe_1100786.jpg

Holiday Illuminations

wltree_1100637_38_39_40_41_fused.jpg

Wilderness Lodge Tree

c2_1060370.JPG

c6_nph_1060385.jpg

c8_1060376.JPG

vader_1060390.jpg

A few from the 2013 parade "taping", crowds were not bad in the afternoon.

jodi_1040432.jpg

sinclair_1040406.jpg

Jodi Benson (Little Mermaid and Barbie) and Dr. John Sinclair

bw_1010288.jpg

bw_1010294_fused.jpg

bwlobby_0652_0_1.jpg

Boardwalk

thanks for the pictures, 40 something days to ADRs so really have to get some kind of plan in place. !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter