December 2015 Help Thread - What To See & Do (Crowd Calendar Added)

Need some gift ideas. Since we'll be there for Christmas, I'd like to give gifts to the kids. Think small and packable. My 3YO is going to get a new outfit every day from a Disney character. A Cinderella dress from Cinderella for breakfast at CRT, a Minnie outfit for Garden Grill, you get the idea. How about ideas for my teenage DD and DS?
This will be our second time actually over Christmas - third time around Christmas. Here are my suggestions:

Shop on-site for each other - Teens on their own and 3 yo w parents or siblings help. You could even give each a gift card and then turn them loose downtown Disney or really any place on property. Their goal - purchase a Disney gift item for someone else in the family within a set budget - say $25. We have even done less when they were little. (I still have my Tinkerbell antenna topper from nearly 10 years ago - inside my vehicle and not outside - that my youngest bought for me - he was so proud!) It was a lot of fun and everyone enjoyed buying something Disney for someone else - as well as getting a Disney surprise!

Stockings - if you do stockings, I have already started finding misc. Disney items at the dollar store, party stores and Walmart. I have Princess washcloths, mickey pencils, minnie body wash, etc. Much cheaper than buying outside of the parks, easy to pack, and fun to have the Disney theme! (Last time there were hooks in POFQ perfect for hanging our stockings) AND yes my teen boys are getting princess washcloths - it is Disney at Christmas and why not have some fun!

Other than that - having teens - ditto the gift cards. I also purchased some Mickey / Minnie (for me) t-shirts at Target for gifts. Of course, don't want to overload the teens on Disney so that is where the gift cards come in handy. We also then open any larger items at home during our other "family" Christmases. The smaller items (I think last time there were batting gloves, star wars figurines, etc.) were packed and taken with us. (Love your outfit idea for the 3 year old - you could even add a little corresponding figurine / doll to go with each as well so there is a small "toy" too)

Also another suggestion for those going over Christmas - We pack some of our favorite Christmas books (Night before Christmas, religious Christmas story book that has been handed down from when I was a kid, etc. - just 2 or 3) and then read them on Christmas eve before going to bed. Keeps things in perspective and not all Disney focused.

This is our first Christmas trip and we will be gone from the 19-28 of December. We plan to still have Santa visit our house like normal while we are gone so we have presents to open when we get home (my friend will put them out for us while we are gone). We are talking about bringing the kids a small present to open on Christmas morning, but we are thinking maybe we'll just let them pick a souvenir (or 3) for their Christmas present.

Thank you MD for taking the time with this thread! We have not been to Disney at Christmas since 1990 and there is so much more to try to choose from. Thank you Dan for the info on the Swan and Dolphin. We had booked GF ADR so we could see the decor there. Now I am trying to figure an in transit trip to see S&D. Could we take a resort bus to Boardwalk or the Swan from Magic Kingdom to see these things then walk to International Gateway for Epcot?

So excited for our 1st Dec trip. We usually go 4th of July week so anticipating smaller crowds during first week of Dec!! It's also a surprise trip as we aren't telling kids until the morning we leave!!!
12/3-arrive. Check in to WL (yay!) and MAYBE do a little MK. depends on kids' exhaustion level.
12/4- Epcot. 5:40 ADR @ Garden Grill
12/5-MK. (Parade taping-possible but we plan to work around it)
12/6-DHS
12/7-DAK and departing late evening for home.

Can someone tell me when the campsites are decorated for Christmas? Will our Nov. 19-25th visit be to soon to see these beautiful decorations at Ft. Wilderness? :tink:

Bringing this forward again hoping to get an answer to my question....:tink:
I don't know 100% but I have read somewhere that since it is up to each camper (not done by Disney) that it varies. I'm sure there are some who may put them up right after Thanksgiving but those are probably ones who are staying longer. Hopefully someone who has camped during your time will know for sure.

Disney still has official opening times of 9 am but Crystal Palace had breakfast at 720 am so id expect updated hours soon

I don't know 100% but I have read somewhere that since it is up to each camper (not done by Disney) that it varies. I'm sure there are some who may put them up right after Thanksgiving but those are probably ones who are staying longer. Hopefully someone who has camped during your time will know for sure.

Thanks...will wait for more possible information from someone "in the know". :goodvibes :tink:

Can someone tell me when the campsites are decorated for Christmas? Will our Nov. 19-25th visit be to soon to see these beautiful decorations at Ft. Wilderness? :tink:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give a definitive answer on this. :( This is not something done by Disney, but instead the campers/guests. I am certain that Disney has restrictions about when they can go up and when they have to come down, but as the campers bring the decorations with them and they decide how much to do, it is anybody's guess.

Thank you MD for taking the time with this thread! We have not been to Disney at Christmas since 1990 and there is so much more to try to choose from. Thank you Dan for the info on the Swan and Dolphin. We had booked GF ADR so we could see the decor there. Now I am trying to figure an in transit trip to see S&D. Could we take a resort bus to Boardwalk or the Swan from Magic Kingdom to see these things then walk to International Gateway for Epcot?

You are very welcome. And @Dan Murphy, well, he is the best! :)

You could take a bus over to the Swan & Dolphin as well as the Boardwalk. While you are at EPCOT, you could could walk out International Gateway and check out the Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk plus the Swan & Dolphin. You can walk, grab a boat or a bus from EPCOT.

Boardwalk Inn Resort entrance to Swan and Dolphin Resort
5 mins - 0.2 miles

Epcot International Gateway to Epcot monorail station
15 mins - 0.53 miles

Swan and Dolphin Resort to Disney-MGM Studios entrance
18 mins - 0.83 miles

Swan and Dolphin Resort to Yacht and Beach Club Resort lighthouse area
7 mins - 0.28 miles

Swan and Dolphin Resort to Epcot International Gateway (via Yacht and Beach club)
12.5 mins - 0.52 miles

Swan and Dolphin Resort to Epcot International Gateway (via the Boardwalk)
11.5 mins - 0.49 miles

Yacht and Beach Club Resort to Epcot International Gateway
5.5 mins - 0.24 miles

This is our first Christmas trip and we will be gone from the 19-28 of December. We plan to still have Santa visit our house like normal while we are gone so we have presents to open when we get home (my friend will put them out for us while we are gone). We are talking about bringing the kids a small present to open on Christmas morning, but we are thinking maybe we'll just let them pick a souvenir (or 3) for their Christmas present.

You could give them a giftcard to purchase something with on Christmas day. :)

Also another suggestion for those going over Christmas - We pack some of our favorite Christmas books (Night before Christmas, religious Christmas story book that has been handed down from when I was a kid, etc. - just 2 or 3) and then read them on Christmas eve before going to bed. Keeps things in perspective and not all Disney focused.

Those are great ideas. When we have been away at Christmas, we typically like to make sure to tune into a Videocast of a Christmas Eve church service (we do that on Sunday on any vacation anyhow), watch A Christmas Carole, take several DVDs along of Christmas movies and spend time doing what we would normally do at home on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, minus the cooking. :teeth:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give a definitive answer on this. :( This is not something done by Disney, but instead the campers/guests. I am certain that Disney has restrictions about when they can go up and when they have to come down, but as the campers bring the decorations with them and they decide how much to do, it is anybody's guess.

Thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't something done by Disney but just wondering if anyone had observed any of these decorations that early in the Christmas "season". My current plans are to take a boat ride over from WL to "check it out" before I drag :rotfl: the DD's and DGD's away from the parks one evening for a visit. I'll be checking the park closing times and take the boat over on an early closing night. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. :thumbsup2 :tink:

I might have missed this and if so, I apologize. Does anyone know when the Christmas parade runs instead of FoF? I remember 2 years ago we were there Christmas Eve and got to see the Christmas parade, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact dates?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter