December 2015 Car Rental Rate watch

If you are a Costco member, and looking to rent a car, you need to check this site daily: https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars. The prices fluctuate day-to-day. So far, I'm spending $1,000 less than I had originally booked for, and i still have 2 months to go before my trip. Hopefully in that time I can save even more :)

Yes, this... I've been watching almost daily for both my rental and for my inlaws. It looks like mini-vans for a week in early December (depending on dates) are sitting at $190ish. The rental I have booked for my inlaws started at $461 for 15 days, and has crept down to $418 as of today which I think seems quite reasonable for a minivan (which works out to about $195 a week).

Still hoping for something much better for my dates - Dec 17th to 27th. I have a mid-size SUV booked through Dollar for $323. Keep checking Costco daily, but their rates (Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise) are still over $600.

Yes, this... I've been watching almost daily for both my rental and for my inlaws. It looks like mini-vans for a week in early December (depending on dates) are sitting at $190ish. The rental I have booked for my inlaws started at $461 for 15 days, and has crept down to $418 as of today which I think seems quite reasonable for a minivan (which works out to about $195 a week).

Still hoping for something much better for my dates - Dec 17th to 27th. I have a mid-size SUV booked through Dollar for $323. Keep checking Costco daily, but their rates (Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise) are still over $600.
I just read reviews on Yelp for this dollar location- yikes!

I just read reviews on Yelp for this dollar location- yikes!

I read reviews of it and definitely have some hesitation, although I asked on here before I booked through Dollar and reviews were generally fine. I am planning to join Dollar Express so I can bypass the counter. That said I am watching the other rental agencies almost daily and hoping something comes down in price and will switch if it does. Bottom line is that it does come down to $ - right now a mid-size SUV through Dollar for my dates is $334. Next cheapest I can find is Alamo at $609. When I convert those numbers to Canadian $ they are approx $440 and $803. And $803 is a lot to pay for a car rental for 10 days even if it is over Christmas! All that said, I am keeping the faith that something will come down in price as I have seen the prices slowly drop for my inlaws dates which start a week earlier than us.

For 16 days, I have $470 full size car Alamo, $550 full size crossover Enterprise, $707 premium crossover Enterprise. All prices from Costco. Most of the time we will only have four but to and from the port we will have 5 plus luggage (5 carry on size, 5 backpack size) I wanted a mini van for luggage space but it is just over $1300. Which option do you think would be best? The 5 will be 2 adults and 3 tall teenagers. Thanks:)

Added: I just checked undercovertourist and if I include the price of a child's tickets to Ripkey's (you have to buy a ticket of some type to add a car rental) a mini van with Alamo $733. Decisions...decisions...because if the price drops for rental through Costco and I cancel through undercover I still would have paid @$12 for a ticket I don't need. It is worth the current savings @$600 for a $12 ticket I don't need but will the rates drop?

Last edited:

Does anyone have a ressie with the AA Discount code for December? I have a minivan reserved from Orlando to Tampa 12/18- 12/23 with this code and the Visa $30 off code, and the price is $238.89. I know that prices supposedly go down as it gets closer, but for some reason mine have doubled, so I am wondering if the code is not good now and that is why the new quotes are so much? The current rate for my exact same reservation is $518.14!!! More than double! I wonder what I am doing wrong? I don't have an AP or warehouse membership so any other codes out there you would suggest?
Thanks!

Does anyone have a ressie with the AA Discount code for December? I have a minivan reserved from Orlando to Tampa 12/18- 12/23 with this code and the Visa $30 off code, and the price is $238.89. I know that prices supposedly go down as it gets closer, but for some reason mine have doubled, so I am wondering if the code is not good now and that is why the new quotes are so much? The current rate for my exact same reservation is $518.14!!! More than double! I wonder what I am doing wrong? I don't have an AP or warehouse membership so any other codes out there you would suggest?
Thanks!
Rates go up and down but you will get whatever price you have on your reservation.

I understand they fluctuate, but they are double and not going down, up only! I know I will get my rate I reserved but everyone has advised to watch them as they go down as it gets closer so I was shocked that they are so high and have been for about 4 weeks now!

I am renting a standard SUV from Hertz, ,12/4-12/12 through AAA. My rental started out as $553 on July 1 and it has gradually dropped. Today I got that same rental for $207. I have been tracking the price drops through AutoSlash.com. I like using this site since it sends out emails when there are cheaper prices compared to your current reservation.

We've used almost all the rental places, including Thrifty off site, and I have to say Dollar worked just fine. I have never had a problem with them. We also use the self service kiosk.

I understand they fluctuate, but they are double and not going down, up only! I know I will get my rate I reserved but everyone has advised to watch them as they go down as it gets closer so I was shocked that they are so high and have been for about 4 weeks now!
It's not set in stone that rates go down as you get close to travel dates. The market dictates rates, and if a particular type of vehicle is in higher demand for your dates, the rates will increase.

For 16 days, I have $470 full size car Alamo, $550 full size crossover Enterprise, $707 premium crossover Enterprise. All prices from Costco. Most of the time we will only have four but to and from the port we will have 5 plus luggage (5 carry on size, 5 backpack size) I wanted a mini van for luggage space but it is just over $1300. Which option do you think would be best? The 5 will be 2 adults and 3 tall teenagers. Thanks:)

Added: I just checked undercovertourist and if I include the price of a child's tickets to Ripkey's (you have to buy a ticket of some type to add a car rental) a mini van with Alamo $733. Decisions...decisions...because if the price drops for rental through Costco and I cancel through undercover I still would have paid @$12 for a ticket I don't need. It is worth the current savings @$600 for a $12 ticket I don't need but will the rates drop?

I used the chat feature on Vegas Brazil's website to talked to an agent. I figured I could just book through them. She said if it worked to use it. She was happy that a got such a good rate. :) I even received an email of our chat conversation.Extremely nice agent. If I ever travel to Vegas I will be using some of theirservices because she was extremely friendly. :)

A mini van for 16 days for $574 is not bad. I booked through Alamo website using Vegas Brazil code. If Costco price drops I will switch because they include second driver for free.

I booked 2 reservations with Alamo, Costco id 7014627 and visa coupon AD2338FDF, Dec 7 to 22nd, for $504 (7 passenger minivan and Std SUV). Premium was only $3 cheaper. Pretty pleased with the minivan price.

I haven't checked for price drops since my original booking, but today I did and rebooked: 7 passenger minivan for $453.85 (for 16 days). Std SUV was basically unchanged.

I haven't checked for price drops since my original booking, but today I did and rebooked: 7 passenger minivan for $453.85 (for 16 days). Std SUV was basically unchanged.

Wow! That's a great rate for a minivan. What are your dates? I'm also looking for 16 days in December (starting the 16th). The best I have found is $644 for a standard SUV, but a minivan would be preferred.

Wow! That's a great rate for a minivan. What are your dates? I'm also looking for 16 days in December (starting the 16th). The best I have found is $644 for a standard SUV, but a minivan would be preferred.
My dates are Dec 7-22.

Just booked through Costco in Canada from Nov.29 to Dec. 13 for 350.90. This is with Budget and is an SUV rental. Thought it was a great rate for two weeks!

I have been checking Alamo every week for dec 20-29. Price has been inching down until this week it is like double. ***

Out of curiosity I had my husband check on his computer same dates, and it was 100.00 cheaper than what I was quoted. Anyone else experience this?

Anyone else travelling Christmas week? I'm looking for someone to whine with.....current rates are awful :sad2:.

We have an SUV reserved with Budget for $262, but we'd really, REALLY like Alamo (we are now travelling as a trio versus a foursome, so we no longer even need an SUV, just a full size car). Alamo is currently $385 for 8 days (December 19th to 26th inclusive) for a standard/full :scared1: .

My fear is that because its Christmas week, rates won't get any better. We're not big Budget fans but we'll make do if we have to.

Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is a great rate on a rental car.

I've been a very good girl this year. For the most part, anyway!

Sincerely,

Gina :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter