Debt Dumpers - 2013

My biggest problem seems to be the groceries. My last paycheck of the 2012, I tried to keep track of how much we spent on groceries and household stuff like cleaners and paper products. It was right at $400. That's ridiculous!! I have got to figure out a way to lessen that bill so I have more to pay on other bills.

I'm not trying to take the thread off topic, but a good place to start is to look at your trash. What are you throwing away? Paper towels? Paper napkins? You can use cloth for both of these and eliminate the cost. Household cleaners often have alternative home made recipes that work just as well for a few pennies. Are you buying single serving stuff? Buy in bulk and divide it up yourself. If you are throwing away food, take a good look at what's being tossed...could it be frozen? Should you make smaller quantities in the future?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:happytv:.

I just paid off one of my credit cards today :cool1:

I only have one more to go, and I really hope I can be rid of it by June 1st!! I may lose 20 pounds by then because I will be cutting it very tight and living off of crumbs probably!!

I will then be completely credit card debt free!! The down fall is, I am having some medical issues so will probably owe medical bills :mad:

Good job to those that were able to pay a cc off already! :cool1:

Dh got paid yesterday and we sent an extra $300 toward the cc and put another $300 in savings.

We've gotten out of debt before using the Dave Ramsey method. Then blew it. :sad: So we are sorta using his baby steps again.

I can't wait until the first cc is paid off!

fun4me said:

Dh got paid yesterday and we sent an extra $300 toward the cc and put another $300 in savings.

We've gotten out of debt before using the Dave Ramsey method. Then blew it. :sad: So we are sorta using his baby steps again.

We're in the same boat. Got out of debt once about 9 years ago and then blew it. Actually, I think that's when our Disney obsession took over. We started going more often and putting airfare, tickets, and hotel on cc. It was supposed to be a 1 time trip in 2005, and we just kept going after that. Plus we had to put a new roof on a cc because we didn't have enough savings to cover it or enough equity for a loan.

This is our break from Disney year to concentrate on debt reduction. DD16 is also going back to public school in the fall, so that will help reduce expenses. DD 13 brought a note home from school yesterday that she's going to Disney with the orchestra in Nov. though. She will be doing fundraisers to help cover her cost of the trip, but I want to try and come up with the money to go down at least for a couple days to see her play on the stage at DTD. I would be heartbroken if I had to miss that! It's still several months off, so hopefully I can pick up extra hours at work to fund that.

I'm SO in for this!! Student loans and cc's are the majority of my debt, with a few other things, like a store card and some money owed to my parents. I seem to have this permanent idea that I'm going to magically be able to make some huge payment to everything in one month, and when it obviously doesn't happen, I get down on myself. I like the idea of making it a consistent goal for 2013 and having an actual plan as opposed to just "I'll use any extra money, if I get it", and then it doesn't happen.

My minimum payments are already all pretty high, because my debt is so high :( . My plan is to put in extra hours at work where I can, and I'm considering a second job on the weekend - I was a bartender in college and loved it, and the cash was good. All of that would go towards my debt. I also want to cut costs where I can so that the money saved can go into my debt. I'm planning to use the Snowball method.

I just got rid of my car, I'm in a city where it's more of a burden than anything else, so now my auto insurance payments will go towards my credit cards instead. I'm also looking into downsizing my phone plan to one of those $50 unlimited everything plans instead of Verizon, and learning to how to grocery shop more smartly and buy in bulk etc. One new expense I'm taking on that will be cheaper in the long run, I think, is pet insurance. I just had a $550 vet bill last month just for something simple, and I'm happy to put $22 a month towards that not happening again, particularly as kitty is getting a bit older now. I shudder to think of being faced with a vet treatment I couldn't afford. I'm anticipating a good tax refund this year, and I'm going to put all of it towards my little debts, so that each of those minimum payments can roll onto paying off a bigger debt. And perhaps put a bit of it towards a trip to WDW. I have a 10day trip booked in May, but the Disney lover in me is wrestling with the responsible adult that says someone with my kind of debt shouldn't be going on a 10day trip and taking the time of work on top of that *sigh*

Looking forward to 2013 being the year of saying goodbye to debt!!

I paid off a CC today with a balance of $397.71, and its gone!! :) I also paid off 4 medical bills, although they only totaled $161.00. I just Ike being able to say "I paid OFF!" :)

Next week I will also be paying off two more medics bills. I plan to call the one to see if they offer a discount for paying off the whole amount. Every little bit helps!

My DH and I are using Dave Ramsey's approach. I know one hard step for DH is dropping his 401K down (temporarily of course). His employer matches up to a good percentage, and it's hard not to contribute.

I did the same thing! I got out of debt about 7 years ago, then completely blew it and lended up in more debt than I originally got out of :scared1:

But I am determined to stay out of debt this time! Once I get the credit cards paid off I plan on putting the extra towards my home equity loan to get that paid down faster. That will definitely be 4-5 years, but I will be happy that the time will be cut in half! Then all I will have is my mortgage and plan on sinking the extra money all onto that to get it paid off faster.

I paid off a CC today with a balance of $397.71, and its gone!! :) I also paid off 4 medical bills, although they only totaled $161.00. I just Ike being able to say "I paid OFF!" :)

Next week I will also be paying off two more medics bills. I plan to call the one to see if they offer a discount for paying off the whole amount. Every little bit helps!

My DH and I are using Dave Ramsey's approach. I know one hard step for DH is dropping his 401K down (temporarily of course). His employer matches up to a good percentage, and it's hard not to contribute.

Great job!! It doesn't matter the amount, you got 5 bills completely paid off:thumbsup2

And perhaps put a bit of it towards a trip to WDW. I have a 10day trip booked in May, but the Disney lover in me is wrestling with the responsible adult that says someone with my kind of debt shouldn't be going on a 10day trip and taking the time of work on top of that *sigh*

Maybe look at your trip and see if you can compromise a bit. 10 day seems long, maybe if you cut it down to 5 and find a way to reduce the expenses you can have a trip but still not go overboard. What kind of hotel are you staying at? Can you downgrade that? Do you plan on paying for a meal plan? Maybe you can bring some snacks/breakfast for the room and cancel it. Whenever I price out trips it always amazes me how much those little tweaks can add up.

I tried to do bare bones for a few months and approach things with the if its not broken don't replace it method. I did get ahead in my debt but was driving myself batty, at times I felt penny poor, dollar wise. I skipped my vacation last year because I bought new furniture (that I really needed) and wanted to be able to put something towards my debt. Yes I missed Mickey a lot but at least now the next trip there will be more new things and I will have a few hundred in Disney Visa rewards when I go back since taking a 2 year break.

Maybe look at your trip and see if you can compromise a bit. 10 day seems long, maybe if you cut it down to 5 and find a way to reduce the expenses you can have a trip but still not go overboard. What kind of hotel are you staying at? Can you downgrade that? Do you plan on paying for a meal plan? Maybe you can bring some snacks/breakfast for the room and cancel it. Whenever I price out trips it always amazes me how much those little tweaks can add up.

I tried to do bare bones for a few months and approach things with the if its not broken don't replace it method. I did get ahead in my debt but was driving myself batty, at times I felt penny poor, dollar wise. I skipped my vacation last year because I bought new furniture (that I really needed) and wanted to be able to put something towards my debt. Yes I missed Mickey a lot but at least now the next trip there will be more new things and I will have a few hundred in Disney Visa rewards when I go back since taking a 2 year break.

This is what I'm trying to do for my March Break trip,
I really don't want to put any money out right now.
The flight and resort are already paid and non refundable.
I am going to try and think of ways to cut my food budget for the week though.
Hugs Mel

I'm SO in for this!! Student loans and cc's are the majority of my debt, with a few other things, like a store card and some money owed to my parents. I seem to have this permanent idea that I'm going to magically be able to make some huge payment to everything in one month, and when it obviously doesn't happen, I get down on myself. I like the idea of making it a consistent goal for 2013 and having an actual plan as opposed to just "I'll use any extra money, if I get it", and then it doesn't happen.

My minimum payments are already all pretty high, because my debt is so high :( . My plan is to put in extra hours at work where I can, and I'm considering a second job on the weekend - I was a bartender in college and loved it, and the cash was good. All of that would go towards my debt. I also want to cut costs where I can so that the money saved can go into my debt. I'm planning to use the Snowball method.

I just got rid of my car, I'm in a city where it's more of a burden than anything else, so now my auto insurance payments will go towards my credit cards instead. I'm also looking into downsizing my phone plan to one of those $50 unlimited everything plans instead of Verizon, and learning to how to grocery shop more smartly and buy in bulk etc. One new expense I'm taking on that will be cheaper in the long run, I think, is pet insurance. I just had a $550 vet bill last month just for something simple, and I'm happy to put $22 a month towards that not happening again, particularly as kitty is getting a bit older now. I shudder to think of being faced with a vet treatment I couldn't afford. I'm anticipating a good tax refund this year, and I'm going to put all of it towards my little debts, so that each of those minimum payments can roll onto paying off a bigger debt. And perhaps put a bit of it towards a trip to WDW. I have a 10day trip booked in May, but the Disney lover in me is wrestling with the responsible adult that says someone with my kind of debt shouldn't be going on a 10day trip and taking the time of work on top of that *sigh*

I think Pet Insurance is a very responsible and wise decision,my little guy cost thousands as he got older and I wish I had Pet insurance at the time.

Best wishes to you
Hugs Mel

We're in the same boat. Got out of debt once about 9 years ago and then blew it. Actually, I think that's when our Disney obsession took over. We started going more often and putting airfare, tickets, and hotel on cc. It was supposed to be a 1 time trip in 2005, and we just kept going after that. Plus we had to put a new roof on a cc because we didn't have enough savings to cover it or enough equity for a loan.

This is our break from Disney year to concentrate on debt reduction. DD16 is also going back to public school in the fall, so that will help reduce expenses. DD 13 brought a note home from school yesterday that she's going to Disney with the orchestra in Nov. though. She will be doing fundraisers to help cover her cost of the trip, but I want to try and come up with the money to go down at least for a couple days to see her play on the stage at DTD. I would be heartbroken if I had to miss that! It's still several months off, so hopefully I can pick up extra hours at work to fund that.

I'm with you on the Disney obsession-I too have used the credit cards to book flights,pay park and fly ,book reservations(ADRs) etc and now realize the need to rein in these habits.I will still be doing Disney but in a much more economical way.

Best wishes to you and I hope you do get to see your DD perform at DTD.We all need to have something that we can work and plan for.
Hugs Mel

I just paid off one of my credit cards today :cool1:

I only have one more to go, and I really hope I can be rid of it by June 1st!! I may lose 20 pounds by then because I will be cutting it very tight and living off of crumbs probably!!

I will then be completely credit card debt free!! The down fall is, I am having some medical issues so will probably owe medical bills :mad:

Sending Healing hugs that the
medical bills are not too bad. Congrats on paying off one of the CC.
Hugs Mel

As soon as my hubby and I have FT jobs that cover my monthly bills....I plan to attack our student loans with fervor. We both went back to school and have racked up an outrageous sum in student loans....fingers crossed that the job situation will sort itself out in the next 8 weeks or so....

I'm definitely starting to lean towards this, as much as it makes me sad. I'd like to go back in October for the Food and Wine festival too (and possibly a Christmas trip?) and logically, I know that three long trips in a year isn't going to work financially - there's no way I can justify that. I sat down tonight and worked out all the numbers, down to browsing restaurant menus to see how much I can expect to spend on food (we won't be on the dining plan). If I cut our trip from 9 days to 5 days, and take out my Discovery Cove visit, the cost of the trip will be cut in half. I think that's the best way to go, and that way even if I decide to go back in October, the other half will cover that.

Good job paying off that credit card gracie1!

Well we were already thrown off our budget... I totally overestimated DH's salary with the tax adjustment and we are short by quite a bit! i am trying not to get down about it, but I am going to need to rework our three year payment plan. Not going to lie, I'm not feeling as motivated now as I did. But hopefully once we get the ball rolling my optimism will return!

Well we thrown off our budget... I totally overestimated DH's salary with the tax adjustment and we are short by quite a bit! i am trying not to get down about it, but I am going to need to rework our three year payment plan. Not going to lie, I'm not feeling as motivated now as I did. But hopefully once we get the ball rolling my optimism will return!

Try to keep your head up. I'm confident you can rework your budget and still work towards getting out of debt.

Congrats to those of you who are paying off credit cards! We actually put a few hundred dollars ON a credit card yesterday, but it was my new Disney Premier Visa and DH and I didn't get each other anything for Christmas, saying we would wait until February when we skip our mortgage payment (we just refinanced). So now we have a $200 Disney gift card coming to us, which will pay the deposit on our next Disney trip! I normally would never charge that much at once, but we will be able to pay it off right away and then just use the card for gas and groceries to collect Disney reward dollars. Hopefully I will be able to stick to just using it for that!

Also, a mommy message board I post on is doing a Spending Freeze February challenge. We are going to try to not spend anything extra besides the usual gas, groceries, and utilities for the entire month of February. I think I am going to budget for one restaurant meal a week, since that's all we really do as a family because our kids are so young and don't enjoy movies or anything like that, but maybe this would be something this board might be interested in doing. I know I will be surprised at how much money is just thrown out the window in our household. Anybody up for it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter