Debt Dumpers - 2013

HouseMother said:
Also, a mommy message board I post on is doing a Spending Freeze February challenge. We are going to try to not spend anything extra besides the usual gas, groceries, and utilities for the entire month of February. I think I am going to budget for one restaurant meal a week, since that's all we really do as a family because our kids are so young and don't enjoy movies or anything like that, but maybe this would be something this board might be interested in doing. I know I will be surprised at how much money is just thrown out the window in our household. Anybody up for it?

I'd love to! My DH is the one I'd have to convince.
Anyone have any suggestions on stopping a DH who spends frivolously? It's not a lot, but he stops every day before work for a coffee and treats. I get tied of the $1 here $2 there out of our account. I want to give him cash for the week, but he says 1) he would spend cash faster and 2) it would make him feel like a kid with an allowance.

Anyone have any suggestions on stopping a DH who spends frivolously? It's not a lot, but he stops every day before work for a coffee and treats. I get tied of the $1 here $2 there out of our account. I want to give him cash for the week, but he says 1) he would spend cash faster and 2) it would make him feel like a kid with an allowance.

If you put the full month's spending in his face, would he care? Maybe it could help if you added it up and said "Here! Look! You are spending $20 a week/$80 a month just for you morning treat!"
He just needs to learn how to make and take coffee from home. :confused3

Cinderelly5507 said:

If he is going to act like a child then you have to treat him like a child. Add up everything he spent for a month and and tell him. And then tell him what that adds up to for the year.

Cinderelly5507 said:

I have actually put both of us on an allowance before when our nickel and dime spending got out of control. $25 a week is plenty for coffee and snacks. Mine are the lunches out since we have a restaurant in our building. It is really easy just to go grab a salad or a burger than bring a lunch, and that really adds up. I am LESS likely to spend cash since it is "real money" in my hand. He might find that he is the same way. Tell him to try it for a month and see how it goes. Anybody can do anything for a month.

HouseMother said:
I have actually put both of us on an allowance before when our nickel and dime spending got out of control. $25 a week is plenty for coffee and snacks. Mine are the lunches out since we have a restaurant in our building. It is really easy just to go grab a salad or a burger than bring a lunch, and that really adds up. I am LESS likely to spend cash since it is "real money" in my hand. He might find that he is the same way. Tell him to try it for a month and see how it goes. Anybody can do anything for a month.

We also do cash "allowances" and it works well for our family. It solved a number of issues. We do $40.00 every two weeks but we do not do coffee houses. When I first sat down a few years ago to figure out where we were bleeding money I took a highlighter to our statement and added up all "food" or "fun" purchases and the result was eye opening. Maybe seeing it all in black and white would help your dh?!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for the responses! I need to add up what he's spending a month and show him. He may not even be spending $20/wk, but all the debit transactions drive me crazy! I am a SAHM so I could get by on less than him. I really don't buy anything that's not groceries or for the kids.

I'm joining the crowd here too! I have 2 small CC's which I pay off monthly, if I even use them at all - DD's trombone rental goes on one and I budget a little from each paycheck to pay them off.

Our real debt is from 3 bills:

1. Line of credit - down to owing $2700 from original balance of $6500 - this is the one I want to target first
2. Car loan - $15,000 - bought a new to us car about a year ago - seeing the interest makes me sick to my stomach, so this is task #2 - I already make a half-payment each payday (bi-weekly) and round up, so I pay about $50 extra per month and 1 extra payment per year, but it isn't knocking down the principle the way I want it to.
3. Student loans - a disgusting amount (really, a mortgage sized amount) - I knew going back to school would be expensive but worth it, and I was right on both accounts. They are on a 10 year repayment right now, which isn't terrible, but I'd like to knock them out in about 5.

I think my problem is that I see my paycheck and always feel like I should at least pay a little extra to each place, rather than really focusing my energy on getting rid of one. Or I will remember to focus for a month or two, then slip back. I almost always feel like I should be saving more, even though I do contribute 6% to 401k (the max my employer matches) and also put something into savings each paycheck.

In addition to going after these debts, we want to start saving in earnest for a house - we'd like to start construction in 2-3 years (land is owned free and clear). We also continue to vacation - I build it into our budget and we do not accrue any new debt in doing so.

In the shorter term, we have a doctor bill from December ($200) due at the end of January and I told DSS that we would buy him tires (which he desperately needs) as part of his Christmas present...I didn't realize it would be almost $700! So, that will come out of my next check too. Thankfully January is a 3 paycheck month for me. I will also owe the tax man come April - likely around $1000 all-in, so I'm trying to get that set aside now. I adjusted my withholdings late last year, but it was too little, too late. This is the first year ever when I haven't gotten a tax refund. I'm a little sad, but also a little happy because it means that financially we are doing better than we ever have before.

My current debt attack plan is to scale back to minimum payments on student loan (currently I'm paying about twice the minimum bi-weekly), knock out that line of credit in the next 2 months, then go after the car with gusto. I'd like to have the car paid off by this time next year, so wish me luck! ::yes::

2. Car loan - $15,000 - bought a new to us car about a year ago - seeing the interest makes me sick to my stomach, so this is task #2 - I already make a half-payment each payday (bi-weekly) and round up, so I pay about $50 extra per month and 1 extra payment per year, but it isn't knocking down the principle the way I want it to.

You mention that the principle isn't moving the way you want it to...are you marking the extra funds to be applied to principle? They may be applying it to your next payment obligation. The best way to pay extra on your principal is to write a separate check and send it with a note stating that the check is to be processed as a principal only payment.

Cinderelly5507 said:
Thanks for the responses! I need to add up what he's spending a month and show him. He may not even be spending $20/wk, but all the debit transactions drive me crazy! I am a SAHM so I could get by on less than him. I really don't buy anything that's not groceries or for the kids.

I'm with you on this one with my Fiancé, but he's picking up a 6 pack or getting his coffee and donut although I've been trying to make it by using the Starbucks or Nescafé single servings, so simple! What's a good weekly allowance? $20 a week? I'm going to do this with myself as well so he sees I'm also trying!

aclov said:
I'm with you on this one with my Fiancé, but he's picking up a 6 pack or getting his coffee and donut although I've been trying to make it by using the Starbucks or Nescafé single servings, so simple! What's a good weekly allowance? $20 a week? I'm going to do this with myself as well so he sees I'm also trying!

There is a coupon for the Nescafé single packets on redplum (I think). $1.50 off 2. Makes for a good deal!

Sorry if some of my posts go off topic, but they all somehow relate to how "I" am trying to pay my debt. Lol

I can't STAND entering and reconciling our checking acct. anymore with Quicken. I am sooooo tired of the small debits here and there. DRIVES ME NUTS. My husband is forever hitting places with a few dollars here and there on the debit card.

Thank you all for the ideas on how to get my grocery bills down. I did way better when DH was working, but now that he's retired, I am having a harder time with it. I use to spend my lunches going to CVS and Walgreens and using coupons to get all the "other items" we needed for our household. Lately, I haven't had the time, but I'm hoping to soon. I got the All You magazine the other day because I love the coupons in there and plan to start back with my drug store couponing atleast. I use to have a quite sizeable supply but it has dwindled down.

Then to pay off all these credit card bills and doctor bills! I'm working on those too, but it sure is slow going.

Thank you all for the ideas on how to get my grocery bills down. I did way better when DH was working, but now that he's retired, I am having a harder time with it. I use to spend my lunches going to CVS and Walgreens and using coupons to get all the "other items" we needed for our household. Lately, I haven't had the time, but I'm hoping to soon. I got the All You magazine the other day because I love the coupons in there and plan to start back with my drug store couponing atleast. I use to have a quite sizeable supply but it has dwindled down.

Then to pay off all these credit card bills and doctor bills! I'm working on those too, but it sure is slow going.

I have the worst habit of checking out and forgetting to use my coupons:mad:

I use to do that too! I finally got a system worked out... I put the coupons with the items in the buggy so I can't miss them when I take it all out and put it on the conveyor. That's the only way I remember!

I use to do that too! I finally got a system worked out... I put the coupons with the items in the buggy so I can't miss them when I take it all out and put it on the conveyor. That's the only way I remember!

I bought this wonderful little coupon organizer off Etsy, it looks like a small purse, has dividers and pckets with a little holder for your pen and a ring to hold rewards cards, it has been a blessing, it cost $30, but was so worth. I have the dividers labeled according to the isles in the grocery store.

I usually pull the coupons for what I have on my list and paperclip them, in order by isle, and put them in the front then as I'm shopping and place an item in the cart, I hand the coupon to DH to put in an envelope, he just hands me the stack as we go to get in line, no forgetting. The Commissary now has a rewards card, they ask for that and your coupons as you are getting in line, they also have to look at our military ID, so I haven't missed using what I've pulled yet. I might if I have to go by myself.

I bought this wonderful little coupon organizer off Etsy, it looks like a small purse, has dividers and pckets with a little holder for your pen and a ring to hold rewards cards, it has been a blessing, it cost $30, but was so worth. I have the dividers labeled according to the isles in the grocery store.

I usually pull the coupons for what I have on my list and paperclip them, in order by isle, and put them in the front then as I'm shopping and place an item in the cart, I hand the coupon to DH to put in an envelope, he just hands me the stack as we go to get in line, no forgetting. The Commissary now has a rewards card, they ask for that and your coupons as you are getting in line, they also have to look at our military ID, so I haven't missed using what I've pulled yet. I might if I have to go by myself.

Can you post a link for the coupon purse. Thanks :)

Everyone seems to be doing really well! I believe January is not proving to be a great month for me, my schedule at my new job is very irratic and I don't believe I will make enough this month for extra payments! My 24 year old scheduling manager and I are not seeing eye to eye. :lmao: I do hope something miraculous happens by the end of the month so I don't start the year behind! I'm so happy for all of you that are getting things paid off and paying everything down! Did I mention that I am also doing the 52 week savings plan that someone suggested, so far $6, yay!:)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/106293950/quilted-coupon-organizer-tote?image_id=363615935

Try the above link, not sure if it will work. My only complain is that it smelled like smoke, but once I washed it, it was fine and I don't go anywhere without it.

There are dozens of those on etsy! I was tempted, but I probably wouldn't want to tote it in and hook it up to the buggy every time. :upsidedow

I recently ordered this organizing wallet to help me with my cash budget and my coupons... I'm so excited for it to arrive!!! I shopped around for a couple of weeks and finally decided on this brand...:goodvibes
http://www.savvy-cents.com/

Everyone seems to be doing really well! I believe January is not proving to be a great month for me, my schedule at my new job is very irratic and I don't believe I will make enough this month for extra payments! My 24 year old scheduling manager and I are not seeing eye to eye. :lmao: I do hope something miraculous happens by the end of the month so I don't start the year behind! I'm so happy for all of you that are getting things paid off and paying everything down! Did I mention that I am also doing the 52 week savings plan that someone suggested, so far $6, yay!:)

I forgot about the 52 weeks savings plan! But I always set aside $20 in my checking account each pay, so that is a plus, and I always round my money up in the checkbook (I know this would drive some people insane!! Because the check book is never balanced then!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter