Dealing with the guilt... FL to CA

Originally posted by KAMLEM
I would be very concerned about being so inaccessible. There are many times on a cruise where you just cannot be reached.

That bugs me too, frankly. I know the kids would be in good, capable hands but if something did happen, it would eat me up.

My wife and I are working out the dates for our December cruise which we might do in January now for the oldest kid's 7th birthday. I'm starting to think we might cancel our 14 day cruise and do something shorter instead. (To be clear, we'll do something together without the kids as we've always done, but it might not be the 14d cruise.)

Sam

It seems sensible that Disney will do this summer thing again in 2006, especially since the current sailing dates are doing very well (for the whole summer). Thus, you may want to consider doing your normal cruise now and saving up for a repositioning in 2006 should it become available.

Just a thought.

Chris, Good point. Another is I've been researching alternate cruise lines so that I'd have the budget to keep my already scheduled 4/30/05 Eastern for my family and still have a week long trip alone with my wife. There are some great deals on Holland America. I just have to figure out how to convince my wife that a non-Disney ship is ok.

Sam

Though in my original post I didn't solicit specific opinions on my priorities or whether it was right or wrong to spend time alone with my wife, I received a lot of advice and opinion on the matter - including a rather harshly worded rebuke and insult sent via private message that suggested I should've never had children.

So I took the issue to heart and did some research and, in a nutshell, I still believe my priorities are right and feel even stronger in my position. There are numerous, online resources, but this specific article sums up my feelings nicely.

http://crosswalk.com/family/1244441.html

Sam

I received a lot of advice and opinion on the matter - including a rather harshly worded rebuke and insult sent via private message that suggested I should've never had children.

smchan: So sorry someone felt the need to attack you personally. That was totally uncalled for. :(

As mentioned in an earlier post, you were simply asking advice about your vacation plans and it appears things got out of hand. Please keep posting and be sure and update us after you've returned from both your vacations: with and without kids!!!

Originally posted by calypso*a*go-go
smchan: So sorry someone felt the need to attack you personally. That was totally uncalled for. :(

I totally agree, So sorry you received a PM like that.

Joanna

Originally posted by smchan
I received a lot of advice and opinion on the matter - including a rather harshly worded rebuke and insult sent via private message that suggested I should've never had children.

That's just awful. They obviously sent a PM rather than post it here because they were afraid of the responses they would get.

Sam that is horrible that someone would do that.
I think MOST people were just expressing their concern about being unaccessible to the children for 14 days and bein surrounded by other people's children.
Although I agree with your decision to vacation alone, I don't know if I personally could do a DCL cruise without my kids. I would feel bad the entire time.
That said we went to Vegas witout our kids when they were young and hada great time and they enjoyed there time with the grandparents. I did feel bad though when I saw people with children. JMHO.
I hope whatever you decide you will have a great cruise. I am sure your children will enjoy 3 , 4 0r 7 days on the ship. It ill be a magical experience for them no matter how long.

I vote for not going on the 14 day without the boys-
By day 8 or 9 am guessing you will both be eaten alive by homesickness for your little guys and won't enjoy yourselves.

You think you feel guilty now. Just wait untill you see all those little ones having a ball with Mickey Mouse while you are on your cruise!pirate:

Well DH and I have been on two DCL cruises without our kids (ages 11 and 12). First was our honeymoon, and the second was for our anniversary last year. Horrible parents we are. :teeth: I should also mention they haven't been on a DCL cruise yet (their mom takes them on a Carnival Cruise every year though). Before you all throw rocks at me, we do take a family vacation each summer to a Disney resort (yes, even though we live an hour away). :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter