• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

I'd love to do the same, but the loss of live sports is what keeps me from pulling the plug. Comcast owns the TV station that shows most of my teams' games, and I don't see them releasing that content to a streaming service anytime soon.

That was difficult for me, but there isn't a day during the week where I'm not driving a kid somewhere for something. I was getting half games, which was still ok. With no local pro teams, I still get some on network tv. Or, I can go mooch off someone.

Holy carp Barry. I basically watch sports, old movies and news so this would work. $25 includes ESPN U. Do you use it and do I have to get a TiVo? Thinking about getting Apple TV.
I don't use it. They just launched a month or so ago. Adam uses it, I think. Hit him up on Facebook and get his opinion.
No, you don't need a TiVo. I see they have a deal going on now where if you prepay for 3 months of service, you get a free Amazon FireStick - basically a dongle that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV and will let you stream right to your TV. Not sure if it works with Apple TV or not.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind wishes. Will try to get back on after surgery or give SWMBO the secret password so she can update everyone how it goes. We have committed it to God and I have peace however it goes.

Hang in there Rob and take care of yourself, Spring, sunshine, and the DCI season is coming!

:wave:

Hope whatever health issues you had have been fixed. How's DS doing at school with this lovely winter weather?

Welcome back! Hope the health issue you mentioned isn't too bad.

Hang in there Rob and take care of yourself, Spring, sunshine, and the DCI season is coming!

Thanks gents...
Currently getting over one right nasty cold virus. It kicked my pretty good for a couple of days there but now has just settled into the realm of merely annoying. The biggist issue I've had of late though was work related. Setting up all the processing required to start off for the new year takes a lot of dedicated effort and doesn't allow much time for distractions, but things are starting to clear up on that front as well.

Now, in the midst of all that nonsense though I also had undergo a colonoscopy along with the truly lovley prep work required by such. I happen to have reached the exact age where my mother lost her fight with cancer that began in that particular area so I've been allowing runaway concerns to dominate my thinking just a bit for the past few weeks. My results from that nastiness were much better then feared though; turns out that I'm in good shape (realitivaly speaking). They found one polyp, yanked it out, and sent me home (they're testing the accursed thing but think it's precancerous and aren't concerned at this time). Given the family history, I have to do this every five years from now on though, but knowing my current condition had lifted one almighty load off my shoulders.

Thanks gents...
Currently getting over one right nasty cold virus. It kicked my pretty good for a couple of days there but now has just settled into the realm of merely annoying. The biggist issue I've had of late though was work related. Setting up all the processing required to start off for the new year takes a lot of dedicated effort and doesn't allow much time for distractions, but things are starting to clear up on that front as well.

Now, in the midst of all that nonsense though I also had undergo a colonoscopy along with the truly lovley prep work required by such. I happen to have reached the exact age where my mother lost her fight with cancer that began in that particular area so I've been allowing runaway concerns to dominate my thinking just a bit for the past few weeks. My results from that nastiness were much better then feared though; turns out that I'm in good shape (realitivaly speaking). They found one polyp, yanked it out, and sent me home (they're testing the accursed thing but think it's precancerous and aren't concerned at this time). Given the family history, I have to do this every five years from now on though, but knowing my current condition had lifted one almighty load off my shoulders.

Glad to hear you are well and will be with us for years to come!

Holy carp Barry. I basically watch sports, old movies and news so this would work. $25 includes ESPN U. Do you use it and do I have to get a TiVo? Thinking about getting Apple TV.
Sling TV could provide you with your fix, CJ. And unlike cable subscriptions, Sling TV is month-to-month. I am slowly piecing my solution together to rid myself of FIOS TV. I have literally had premium TV packages from the time I got out of grad school at 24. I just turned 40. Clearly I am not afraid to pay for the programming but the part that finally got to me was that VZ was charging me monthly for the equipment. That drives me NUTS!

I got the Roamio. You can get it from Amazon $50 cheaper than direct from Tivo (and free shippping!) http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-...v&ie=UTF8&qid=1424806128&sr=1-1&keywords=tivo. That's the only model that works with an HD antenna.
Once you get it, hook it up and it go through the settings to find the Device ID (or whatever they call it.) Create your account on TiVo.com and give it that ID, so it knows what your system is. From there you have three options for service: $14.99 a month, $149 per year, or $499 for the life of the device. I did the annual, since it works out to $12.50/month. I've heard people warn about the $500 option because if your device dies and you need to replace it, the service does not transfer to another box. Not sure if that's true or not, but I also didn't want to pay an additional $500 to save money on TV.

From what I hear, the $500 price is tied to the box. So once it breaks, time to ante up more cash.
What about watching TV in other rooms? Did you buy Tivo minis? With Roamio, it says you need an adapter to create the Moca network whereas with the next model up (Roamio Plus), you do not.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, gents but I am dying to come up with a creative and cost effective solution for Television in my house!

Thanks gents...

Good luck and best wishes. I understand your concern since genetics are involved. I've done 3 colonoscopies and I just turned 40. First one they yanked a polyp, none for the next 2. I think I'm do for another one this year. Yay.

Hope general health continues to improve as well as work settling down.

Thanks gents...

Wow, sounds like a real pain in the ... well, you know. Glad to hear everything is on the up and up.

From what I hear, the $500 price is tied to the box. So once it breaks, time to ante up more cash.
What about watching TV in other rooms? Did you buy Tivo minis? With Roamio, it says you need an adapter to create the Moca network whereas with the next model up (Roamio Plus), you do not.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, gents but I am dying to come up with a creative and cost effective solution for Television in my house!
We only have one TV, so that wasn't an issue for us.

Thanks gents...

Glad to hear you have the all clear - sorry for the pun

Glad to hear all is well.

Thanks gents...

Welcome back to the home base, Rob. Sounds like it's been a lovely few weeks, but I'm glad all that is at least overwith and nothing serious was found.

Good Morning! DD's hoop team dominated last night to a 36-16 victory. All of the girls scored at least 2 points and I got a lot of positive feedback on how well the girls were passing the ball and playing as a team. Win-win in my book. DD had 8 points, a bunch of rebounds and played pretty well. My record as a fill in is now bolstered to 3-0 and pretty sure that is the last one I need to cover. When does the hall of fame balloting start?:scratchin

Lot of pressure to keep that perfect record. Good luck!

Woo-Hoo! See above. They are now 11-4 and seeded 4th for the playoff a week from Friday.

Morning guys, hope all are well.

Over the hump at the Canada Games, should be home by next Monday. Of course, only the pets will be there to greet me, DS left for Florida with his grand father yesterday and DW leaves on Sunday. I hope they left me some food.

Safe travels and good luck with the second half. There is no way they left food for you. Just plan on lots of pizza, bacon an beer.:thumbsup2

Howdy all...

I have been out of the loop (and a number of other loops for that matter) for quite some time now and it's about time I did something about that. Starting off with checking back in over here. This place can be some of the best medicine available on many levels.

hope all are reasonable well.
For those that aren't (and for Shawn in particular) know that prayers are offered.

Now, it's time to get myself out there and see just what all I've missed out on while I foolisly allowed work and health to hold more then their fair share of sway over my world.

Y'all take care and I'll be back in a bit.

Hey Rob! Welcome back to the clubhouse.

Afternoon guys. Computer is still in the shop so problems multi quoting on an Ipad.

Shawn, you are welcome to camp out down here anytime. Carl and Jim, hang in there.

Also debating on dumping cable. $200 a month for HD and Internet. My problem is college football. I think I can get enough other live sports on the networks but during during the season, my butt is planted in front of the TV. Now if ESPN sold a streaming package, I'd be in.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Good Morning CJ.:wave2: I think we are through the worst of it. At this point Mother Nature is just playing cruel games. Just enough snow last night to pi$$ everyone off and make the commute a nightmare. Calling for more of the same tonight. At this point, Let it Snow! It doesn't bother me anymore as I have just given in to the fact that global warming is just not an option in New England.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind wishes. Will try to get back on after surgery or give SWMBO the secret password so she can update everyone how it goes. We have committed it to God and I have peace however it goes.

Good luck and prayers on the surgery. We'll keep your seat open for when you get back. I can't promise we won't eat your share of bacon or drink your beer though.:goodvibes

Top O the Morning Dads! I'm the first one in here this morning :confused3 Just about at the half way point this week and seems like lot's of pita stuff going on so prayers, pixie dust and remember we are all one day closer to our next Disney vacation planned or unplanned :cool1:

Good Morning! DD's hoop team dominated last night to a 36-16 victory. All of the girls scored at least 2 points and I got a lot of positive feedback on how well the girls were passing the ball and playing as a team. Win-win in my book. DD had 8 points, a bunch of rebounds and played pretty well. My record as a fill in is now bolstered to 3-0 and pretty sure that is the last one I need to cover. When does the hall of fame balloting start?:scratchin
Congrats Mr Auerbach!

That was difficult for me, but there isn't a day during the week where I'm not driving a kid somewhere for something. I was getting half games, which was still ok. With no local pro teams, I still get some on network tv. Or, I can go mooch off someone.

Mooching is in the Pirate Code! Well done. Ayyyeeeee!

Thanks gents...

Glad the health scares are taken care of and your feeling better.

'Morning all...
All the rotten weather the rest of ya' have been dealing with is finally starting to creep into my little corner of the map. We got a fairly nasty ice storm last week and the persistent cold have kept a good bit of it from melting completely. That's rare for this area. We may see actual snow tonight but I suspect it won't amount to near as much and the doomsayers decry. I just hope it doesn't warm up enough in the process to become merely freezing rain again. Snow can be a pain, but even the 4x4s are useless on ice.

Glad to hear you are well and will be with us for years to come!

Thanks, this is a good place to be...
of course any place beats no place, but y'all get the drift.

Good luck and best wishes. I understand your concern since genetics are involved. I've done 3 colonoscopies and I just turned 40. First one they yanked a polyp, none for the next 2. I think I'm do for another one this year. Yay.

Hope general health continues to improve as well as work settling down.

My, but you did have to start early. That's tough sir. I've done it twice now. The procedure is a breaze compared to the prep, that's for sure. But the worrying that tags along with that potential threat ain't much better. And worse, that type of self imposed stress is hard on the body and immune system as well. Good that I can just not think about it for a little while now. Still bothers me that my Ma' wasn't allowed the same opportunity though (that's a mite harder to let go of).

Wow, sounds like a real pain in the ... well, you know. Glad to hear everything is on the up and up.

Yes... yes it is.

We only have one TV, so that wasn't an issue for us.

Only one? That's rather rare these days.
When I first met my DW I had a sum total of zero televisions in the house.
That number has since risen just a mite.

Glad to hear you have the all clear - sorry for the pun

I believe that a pun was exactly what the situation called for.
Thanks

Glad to hear all is well.

And thanks you sir.
I was certainly glad to hear it.

How's DS doing at school with this lovely winter weather?

I forgot to answer that part of your query a while back.
Their campus is down in the bottom of a sheltered "thermal valley". There's a line of tall ridges on all either side that pretty much blocks out most of the really nasty weather. When a front comes through, regardless of the exact direct, a good deal of it is diverted or impeded by the ridge lines, so it's generally a bit warmer and considerably milder impact wise there then in spots 50 miles in any direction. So the harsh winter hasn't been all that much of an issue for them.

As for the boy himself, he's doing good. We got to see him this past weekend actually. He still loves being there and seems to be thriving. I'm sure that the same is true for your young'en and that right there makes us both pretty lucky and thankful fellows.

Last edited:
Only one? That's rather rare these days.
When I first met my DW I had a sum total of zero televisions in the house.
That number has since risen just a mite.
Yup, big screen TV in the living room. We have an older 32" CRT in the basement that has the 1st generation Wii hooked up to it, but no cable or antenna. Also have an even older 27" TV (it's got to be 20+ years old) up in the master bedroom that hasn't been turned on in over a year.

Got my Patriots season tickets renewal invoice today.:headache::mad::mad: I'm thinking about telling them I don't want to own the team, just go to a few games. $170 per seat/game. Along with the bill is a note that the NFL has now officially gone to a sliding scale on ticket prices. Basically, crappy team games are valued less than expected popular games. I am anxiously awaiting the document that shows the ticket value for each game.

We actually considered not renewing or transferring ownership to someone else this coming year. That all went bye bye on February 1st. I have been in attendance for the rising of all 3 banners, I'll be damned if I'm missing the 4th. It's been a great run since Bill Parcells and co. drafted Drew Bledsoe before the 1993 season. I know it can't last forever, but one more year! and maybe one more after that? OK, let's not make any final decisions yet. As you can see I lack conviction. It may be due to the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins all not looking so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter