Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying the CD of all photos and maybe 2/3 photos on top and it would be great if the signatures could frame them.

How much is the CD?
We're going on the 6-night Christmas cruise, would it be worth it for that size cruise or is it mostly better for longer cruises?

I'm sure somewhere in all of these posts someone has mentioned this but our favorite tip has to be....
DIVERSIONS!! We spent many evenings down there, until about 11:30 playing yahtzee and having a quiet drink. It is almost always nearly deserted in there... so a nice place to relax after a busy day.
During the day the kids can come with you and there are board games you can use. Our girls loved Jenga and yahtzee and Princess Chutes and Ladders. If you have late seating for dinner, this is a good place to come get snacks before your show. Around 5:00 they put out wings, tortilla chips with salsa, sour cream and some other toppings, fresh veggies and I think there were always hotdogs too.
If you are a sports fan they always have some kind of game on TV.

The waiters/bartenders down in Diversions are the nicest guys. Definitely set aside some time to spend down there :)

Is there a Diversions equivalent on the Dream?

will they only do 1 pillow case per room? this would be a neat thing for us to give my kids when we get back we have 3 kids.
Bring a pillowcase from home and give that and some markers to guest services when you board. They will have the chAracters sign it and return it to your room before the end of the cruise.
Great and not so expensive treat!!

Hi! Did the 4-night last April. Got two pillowcases with Mickey/Minnie and the kids names embroidered from e-bay! Look for "grady'smom" on e-bay. She also does fish extenders if you are doing a gift exchange! She is GREAT and super cheap! :flower3:

Having just come off the Wonder for the MR trip (sob sob, only came off on Sunday and want to be back on!!), my best tip, and one I got off here is for the secret deck on deck 7. I spent loads of time on there, and most of the time it was deserted. Just take some towels from deck 9, suncream and a book and it was great.

One thing to note is depending on which way the wind is blowing, you may end up with black soot marks on you from the funnel. This happened to me and I reported it at guest services as I didn't know what it was, and they phoned my stateroom to tell me and to aplogise.
OK I have read through most of these posts, but don't recall reading about 'secret deck' 7 - can you elaborate?? On the wonder in 2 weeks!

I love the idea of givng a thank you gift to the signees and club CMs.... but I wonder if they get incredibly sick of candy.

What's the best thank you gift you've ever given/heard of?

EmsaBems
pirate:

As a previous CM in Youth Activities (Flounders, Club, Lab, Quest, & Aloft), NO!!!!! We never get sick of candy. Homemade cookies would be the crem de la crem though! Please remember, we're all away from home for about 4.5-6 months on average & we go gaga over anything that wasn't made on the ship or came from a deep fryer.

OK I have read through most of these posts, but don't recall reading about 'secret deck' 7 - can you elaborate?? On the wonder in 2 weeks!

There is a deck for you to sit on it's at the back of the ship deck 7 it was behind our state room and my dh and I were going to renew our vows there but it was packed with people on Thursday night on a seven night cruise, of corse every time we went out there before Thursday it, was empty! But it's a nice spot and can be quiet! I hope that helps:yay:

For those "Dream-ers" note, there is no buffet option on disembarkation morning. Your breakfast will be in the last restaurant you dined in the night before.

Do they keep changing this? We ate at Cabanas on the morning of 3/3 before we disembarked.

Like the pp said, it is at the back of deck 7. It is accessible by walking to the end of the hallway or taking the aft stairs to 7 and the door is almost right in front of you. We found nobody there every time we went. The Wonder is WONDERful - enjoy!

There is a deck for you to sit on it's at the back of the ship deck 7 it was behind our state room and my dh and I were going to renew our vows there but it was packed with people on Thursday night on a seven night cruise, of corse every time we went out there before Thursday it, was empty! But it's a nice spot and can be quiet! I hope that helps:yay:

I'm sues14's husband. I hope this works, but I am trying to post a pic of where the deck is.....orange X marks the door (which is VERY heavy) out to the deck.

Enjoy!

SecretDeck7.png

For even more "secrets", buy a Passporter for Disney Cruise Line. They are full of them. They even have a supplement e-book you can download full of even more tips. I even have a tip in there that is published for Castaway Cay - works for any beach area: before coming back on the ship, sprinkle baby powder on your feet while still in the beach area. The sand won't stick and you will be sand free :cool1: I got Passporter for my first cruise several years ago. They are the bomb! Their 2011 edition will have stuff specifically for the Dream in it :)

In addition to the pillowcases, you can take a mat for a picture and frame and have the characters sign it. I did this for a friend couple of ours for their anniversary. Originally, they were planning on going to WDW for their anniversary but the wife got diagnosed with breast cancer and couldn't go. So I bought a picture from Shutters with all the characters in tuxedos and such, bought a frame and mat before I left home and had the characters sign the mat. It's on their mantel now :goodvibes

As a previous CM in Youth Activities (Flounders, Club, Lab, Quest, & Aloft), NO!!!!! We never get sick of candy. Homemade cookies would be the crem de la crem though! Please remember, we're all away from home for about 4.5-6 months on average & we go gaga over anything that wasn't made on the ship or came from a deep fryer.

But, DCL doesn't permit homemade food on board ... "Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention." :confused3

will they only do 1 pillow case per room? this would be a neat thing for us to give my kids when we get back we have 3 kids.

They did pillowcases for both my DD's and they did two picture frame mats when we brought those.

Ok, now that there is a guideline for food, what suggestions do any of you have for little gifts? Thank you

Ok, now that there is a guideline for food, what suggestions do any of you have for little gifts? Thank you

That's not a new guideline. Sealed store bought items are still fine. Ie: A sealed container of Oreo Cookies are completely acceptable, but homemade chocolate chip cookies are not.

Then I must have met some pretty sneaky people. I received homemade cookies at least twice. Maybe they were packaged really well in their carry-ons. Other good gift ideas would be phone cards for cms to call home with if you're really wanting to make nice. We had a dad once who was down at the midnight chocolate buffet in Lumiere's that would send one daughter at a time up to the club with chocolate goodies for us to snack on. As a cm, we don't typically get to eat in the guest dining areas at all. I was lucky enough to get to eat in a guest area 3 times in one contract (once was my farewell dinner that everyone gets & the other two were recognition dinners). We've had guests get appetizers from their meals at Palos wrapped up before ever touching them to bring to us. Our food in the crew mess is pretty, oh what's a good Disney term? It's pretty good for getting by, but treats like I talked about are the golden ticket.

Also any time you mention a crew member by name in your survey cards or if you write in, that cm get's tons of praise & lots of recognition infront of their department. It's a BIG deal.

There are cups at the drink station, but they are small. People will bring everything from a travel type mug to the infamous Bubba Keg. As for having room to pack something more into your bags.....you can actually stuff a lot into a Bubba Keg so it really isn't taking up too much space! Bubba Kegs keep beverages hot or cold, come in several sizes and colors and are great conversation starters. lol I am a proud Bubba Keg carrier!!!! :rotfl: You can purchase your own Bubba Keg at Target and similar stores. pixiedust:

Bubba Keg + Palo = sgroppino overload

I wonder if they would fill up a Bubba keg with sgroppino? :goodvibes I'm getting happy vibes just thinking about it!!

If you're wondering what it is...it's that delightful after dinner slushy drink at Palo. Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter