Crockpot and Easy Meals "Index post 372"

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by scoobndolliesmom, Jan 8, 2010.

1. lillygator

lillygator DIS Veteran

anyone have a crockpot recipe for broccoli cheese soup, tomato florintine soup and french onion soup....?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. My2CrazyGirls

My2CrazyGirls DIS Veteran

Does anyone know about the mustard? I want to make this.

4. ski_mom

ski_mom DIS Veteran

This wasn't my recipe, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess by the amount that it is probably regular mustard. Most recipes that I use dry mustard in are a smaller amount.

But again, that is just my guess.

5. cmac609

cmac609 DIS Veteran

subscribbing

6. mdrob214

mdrob214 <font color=deeppink>Denise a.k.a. Mikki and Pooh

I would say the same thing. 2T of dry mustard is quite a lot!:)

7. Evi

Evi DIS Veteran

To whoever revived this thank you I need to pull out my crock pot it hasn't been used in over a year.

8. SandrA9810

SandrA9810 DIS Veteran

I love that site, and use it quite a bit.

Any one have a good chicken recipe that'll make the house smell really good?? Kind of like the way apple pie smells when it's cooks in the oven. I want a sweet and savory kind of smell.

I've got about a pound of boneless skinless thighs for this.

9. beaucoup

beaucoup DIS Veteran

subscribed

10. sbell111

sbell111 <font color=blue>I don't care if people walk slowl

That's funny. My favorite recipe from that site uses cream soup as an ingedient.

11. scoobndolliesmom

scoobndolliesmom Mouseketeer

Making the fajita chicken today...smells yummy:stir:

12. jwwi

jwwi DIS Veteran

Thank you for the index on page 372, I just copied some recipes. It sure was easy to navigate through the recipes easily. I love to use my crock pot, such a simple way to cook. I don't welcome the cooler weather, but do enjoy the change in the meal planning.

13. kawc1945

kawc1945 Newly loving Disney!

Wow! So many great ideas. Since the weather is getting cooler, looking forward to trying some of these. :)

14. hulagirl87

hulagirl87 DIS Veteran

I'm new to the crockpotting thing thanks to a friend who recommended making my own applesauce. Just peel and cube 10-15 apples and let them cook on low for 4-5 hours. Makes the best and sweetest applesauce with no added anything! awesome! I have tried a couple of the other chicken recipes and have the honey chicken one in the crockpot right now! Look forward to seeing more recipes added now that the colder months are coming :goodvibes

15. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

Glad to see this thread has been seeing some action lately. I don't have a recipe to share, but wanted to comment, since I have enjoyed a few of the recipes here.

For those of you who are having trouble with overcooking in your crockpot, here is my experience.....

I took my large crockpot on vacation with us this summer (cottage on the lake in Maine.... not a Value resort at Disney! ;) ). Anyhow, I've had this cooker (Rival slow cooker with 4 different heat settings plus warm) for a few years now and have used it many, many times without any trouble.

I wanted to make a crockpot French toast recipe for our group. I had made it at home a few times with good success. Anyhow, I got the ingredients into the crockpot and set it to go at bedtime. I woke up at 2 am to the smell of something burning and went down to find the french toast burned BLACK and smoking inside the crockpot. This happened on low in under 4 hours! It took me lots of elbow grease, etc to get the burned stuff off and I had to make a 5 am dash to a local store to buy ingredients to make traditional french toast for breakfast! I couldn't understand it.

A few days later I was making breakfast for the group again... this time it was steel cut oats in the same crockpot. I've made it many, many times without trouble. Again, I woke in the night and decided to check it.... it was quite done in just a few hours.... but at least not burned. So I turned it to warm for the remainder of the night.... but it was still crusty around the edges in the morning.

By the end of our week at this cottage, we started realizing that other electrical appliances seemed to work very "fast".... toast was done in NO TIME FLAT! Coffee pot seemed to perk hot and fast. We decided that all of this issues were related and probably had something to do with the electrical feed to the house.... especially once we blew a fuse a few times.

So for those of you who are experiencing troubles with your crockpot cooking too fast and/or too hot, you might have something similar going on at home. You might have to adjust recipes to cook shorter and/or lower.

Just my little FYI! Thanks to all who have shared some great recipes here!................P

16. pjlla

pjlla DIS Veteran

Taking a shot here......

I made the French Onion soup recipe from this thread yesterday and was hoping that either the OP or someone else could help. The soup was waaay too sweet and I presume I used the wrong kind/type of wine. I used a traditional marsala wine... is there a less sweet/drier type I should have used? And for the white wine I used a Cupcake sauvingnon blanc. Was that too sweet?

Other than the sweetness I think it was a decent recipe and would like to try it again.............P

17. girli565

girli565 A Miami kind of girl

For French onion soup I'd use a dry sherry wine and for the white wine I'd use a dry Chardonnay. And if I was making it on the stove I'd deglaze the pot after the onions with a congac or brandy.

18. meajuly5

meajuly5 DIS Veteran

Yum!yum

19. tink20

tink20 DIS Veteran

Chicken Breast
    Hawaiian dressing (I used Lawry's marinade)
    Can of Crushed Pineapples (don't drain)
    (adjust dressing and pineapple, depending on how much chicken you have
    for 5/6 big pcs, use whole bottle of dressing and whole can of pineapples)

Cook on low (4-5 hrs depending on thickness of chicken)
    Shred, serve over rice.

20. mommy2emily

mommy2emily Mouseketeer

Any new ideas for fall?

21. sharonmickey

sharonmickey DIS Veteran

crockpot barbecue chicken

4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (I threw them in frozen... even easier!)
    1 bottle BBQ sauce (sweet baby ray's all the way!)
    1/4 c vinegar
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder

Mix BBQ sauce with all ingredients listed under it. Place chicken in crockpot. pour sauce over it and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.

I shred the chicken breasts after 4 hours but you don't have to. This is delicious!