Crock pot crazy

Stampmom- the cranberry sauce recipe was great- thanks!!!

Wow I am tickled to see this post as my stove is having issues...

A few of our favorites:

Cola roast

I know it sounds strange, but the acid in the cola breaks down the meat and makes it very tender. Use a very cheap cut and it still tastes very expensive!!

Take any cut of roast beef (I buy cheap and big, but buy whatever size you need), brown it on all sides in a little oil in a pan. Transfer to crockpot, sprinkle a package of onion soup mix over it and then pour a can of cola drink over the top (not diet). Cook on low all day, or high for about 4-5 hours if you need it done quicker, though the lower temperature and longer time makes is SOOOOOOO tender. I take the roast out, and make the BEST gravy with the liquid in the crockpot. Everyone who has ever had it wants more.

Pork Roast sandwiches

Take any pork roast, brown on all sides in a little oil in a pan. Transfer to crockpot THE NIGHT BEFORE. I put it in before I go to bed on low. The next morning, after the roast has been in the crockpot about 12 hours, I take it out, dump the liquid. Let the roast cool down some. Then I shred it all up, put into crockpot and dump in a bottle of honey garlic BBQ sauce and turn on low. My kids BEG for this!!!

Hamburger stew

2 lb of browned ground beef
6-8 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks (not too big)
6-8 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
2 onions, chopped
frozen or canned veggie of your choice
2 cans tomato soup

Brown ground beef, drain and set aside. Put potatoes in bottom of crockpot, spoon 1/2 can of soup over the top of them and sprinkle with pepper and any other spices you might like. Put carrots in next, and spread 1/2 can of soup over top and any spices you may like. Next, put the onions in and spread 1/2 can of soup over the top along with any spices. Next, put the ground beef in the crockpot, and spread 1/2 can of soup over the top, along with spices. Finally, spread a can of veggies or some frozen veggies on the top. Pour in 1.5-2 soup cans of hot water. Cook on low all day long. Stir about 15 minutes before serving, turn crockpot off and let it sit. This makes a LOT!! Our family of 6 always has leftovers. Tastes even better the next day!!

You're welcome!! :D I just love my crockpot!! I'm trying to get enough recipes so that I can use it almost daily. I just love the feeling when by 9 am I have supper in the crockpot and don't have to worry about it anymore.

Other ideas are spaghetti sauce. I just use a jar of sauce, a large can of stewed tomatoes, some browned ground beef, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini, and garlic. I actually put this in the crockpot the night before and put it in the fridge. I find the longer it sits, the better the flavors all blend together.

I also will take some chicken pieces (I prefer chicken thighs but have used drumsticks, or breasts), throw them into the crockpot, put some chopped onion, peppers, mushrooms and zucchini on top, pour some spaghetti sauce over top and let it cook on low all day. Then servce it over either rice or noodles. Kind of a chicken cacciatore.

I will also sometimes cook up and freeze meatballs and then throw them in the crockpot, throw some marinara sauce over them and have meatball sandwiches.

Sounds like a great site, I couldn't get it to work with the link. Anyone have any luck?

Hmmmm...I'm not sure why it won't work. I click on it and it works for me.

I'll try to figure out why it's not working. I know the group that it was posted on, the same thing happened. Some people could see it, some couldn't.

I'll work at it.

Sorry about that.:(

I was able to get in this morning. Thanks, it looks like there are some great ones on there.

Off to get mine started for the morning:D .

First off: I tried the "sticky chicken" seasonings but did it on my trusty Showtime rotiessiere - knockout flavor! Can't wait to try it in the crockpot.

Here's a Slow Cooker Jambalaya I tried this weekend:

1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chopped fully cooked smoked sausage
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce (adjust to your preference)
3/4 lb. uncooked peeled deveined shrimp.
4 cups hot rice (cooked separately)

1. Mix all except shrimp & rice in 3-1/2 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
2. Cover, cook on low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
3. Stir in shrimp, cover & cook on low for about an hour until shrimp are pink & firm. Serve over rice.

Note: I had some leftover chicken I diced & threw in at the start. Also used frozen cooked shrimp, along with frozen okra during the last hour, and it turned out great.

You all are very, very sweet and these recipes are great!

I heard in some of the first posts someone mentioning curries. I love curries and I love my crockpot as I work full time. I also love to wing it with my crockpot and see how it turns out. I just did this curry last week and it was great:

Place 1 1/2 teaspoons of red curry paste into the bottom of the pot
Pour in two cans of coconut milk
I used some Thai peanut sauce I had laying around and added a a large dolop to the mix
Stir well in the pot to make sure your curry paste is mixed into the milk

Take pork, whatever cut you like best - for me its the ribs cut up into cubes - and place that into the coconut milk mixture.
Then cut up in large chunks of sweet potatoes and add those and some onions to the pot.

This made a great curry and the sweet potatoes are to die for - you can adjust the heat of your curry (the spice not temp) with how much of the paste you add. Sorry this is not a precise recipes but I do like to wing it and I think the crockpot is very forgiving.

Does anyone know whether or not you can just roast vegetables in the crockpot? Would I do it like mentioned above with roasting chicken - just place some oil into the pot, season the vegetables and go? I love squash in the fall but don't have time to cook it when I get home from work and I am trying to find a good way to do this in the crockpot.

castlegazer- I'm not sure, but I think you would need to add a little water also.

I wanted to say thank you for the crockpot roast recipe. It is the one using beef, dry soup mix and jellied cranberry sauce.

It was fantastic!!!! DD doesn't like roast beef I usually use beef broth, but she actually asked for a second helping this time. I consider it important for teens to eat beef once in a while for the iron and the only beef she would eat was a hamburger.

This will be my crockpot roast recipe forever more. Thanks

RumpleMom, thanks for mentioning this thread at the Pittsburgh meet! I've been trying a few of these recipes, and everything has been great so far!

This thread is a Godsend. Thanks ladies so much. I use my pot sparingly. Still am not comfortable in leaving the pot on while at work. But on Saturday I just love the smell of my house. Better than any airfreshner.

Thanks again!

I have also put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% fat free so I noticed I needed 2 cans for 3 good sized chicken breasts), cook on low for 6-8 hours, make some rice or noodles and either blend in with the chicken or put the chicken mixture over on them on your plate.

A great piece of meat (someone asked very early on) is round steak with cream of mushroom soup over it as well. Then make rice to put the steak over - YUM YUM!!!!! The meat is sooooooooo tender and it smells soooooooo good when cooking.

I have been trying some of these recipes on this thread and I haven't been disappointed yet! Anyone have a made from scratch onion soup recipe for the crockpot? Also looking for a no pork split pea soup recipe.
Thanks!

I have wrapped potatos in foil and "baked them in the crock" and my other tip is to put the roasted chicken you get the grocery store in your pot to keep it warm til dinner time. It does continue to cook if you are a morning shopper, but the end result is a moist chicken that falls off the bone

well, I just had my first crockpot "disaster" this weekend. DId the "mock lasagna" recipe from the crockpot book to the "t" and it was AWFUL! dry and tasted bad! my dh still won't let me live it down. Now I have a full pot of yuck and no clue what to do with it. I hate the fact of wasting all of that hamburger and sausage. I guess my dog Jefferson will have a field day with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter