• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couple sneaks Wedding in the Tiki Room~Feelings? and other sneaky things done in the parks

California has no waiting period. I went to my county recorder to get a certificate copy, and in front of me was a couple getting a license and also asking if they had any wedding slots that day. They did in about an hour.

Another deal is that any marriage license from any county is good anywhere in the state. A friend got his marriage license in Santa Clara County because it was more convenient, but got married in San Francisco City Hall (it's a joint city/county government) because it was a really nice spot for a government-officiated wedding.

ALL WE NEED IS LOVE:lovestruc(and so Celia doesn't have to sift through 8 pages of posts to find my FP+ suggestion...)

I've just been hoping to get some Dreamers to pretend to be Imagineers with me in regard to all this wedding stuff.
This is my easy fix for Disney that should please shareholders, nay-sayers, sneaks alike.

• Pick an under utilized area of any of the parks…
  • Convert to a Low Key Wedding area/similar to Meet n Greet attraction.
  • Offer FP+ in order to reserve time slot
  • Disney photographer for Memory Maker photo option $
  • Gift shop with Wedding ears, Mr/Mrs t's and souvenirs $$
  • CS restaurants for wedding cupcakes, Italian wedding soup, $$
Does this make Disney a ‘Vegas’ ? Does this interfere with their high end DFTW wedding business?
Nope...Two different demographics

It’s a perfect marketing strategy catering to LOVE and to those who LOVE the Mouse!

So IF we were pretending to be Imagineers...(It's okay to dream and play along because we know it will never happen.)
Where would this imaginary area be?
Tom Sawyer Island? City Hall?
Back lot at DHS?
Gazebo in France?
and remember...........it's just for FUN.

Sidenote...

Also as the above poster noted,
There is a 3 day waiting period in Florida after you get a marriage license which will bring in more revenue as the couple will likely be staying on Disney property and spending pre-wedding $$$.

I'll play!:D

hmmmm, for MK ~staying low key I and since I have sentimental ties to the ride, I would like the dock area by BTMRR..the kodak picture spot (since the area near it is now a smoking area) I would also love the Tiki gods in Adventureland or the inner cemetery path of HM. The options are endless at Epcot and AK. No real desire at DHS, unless maybe under the Pixar sign lol.

I just saw this thread and it really is perfect timing.

We have been invited to our friends wedding at Disney, but its a stealth wedding.. Shhhh. Our friends are getting married at the SSR Tree House that they are going to be staying at for their Vaca / Mickeymoon. It's going to be super casual, and no fuss and no frills as they put it. There is going to be about 15 people plus the bride and groom give or take 1 or 2, then we are going to DTD for dinner and celebrating. They keep saying no fuss but my friend confided in myself and another friend that she would like to have some traditional touches but with flying its not really possible.

Another friend and I are bringing a few things to make it more special. We ordered a cake and bought a Mickey and Minnie topper, and covered something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. We picked up some small wedding plates, and napkins. Got a couple of bottles of champagne and those little plastic champagne glasses. We want to get some kind of flowers for them. Maybe a fresh bouquet for the ceremony and them they can enjoy them the rest of the trip, and maybe a wrist corsage ( silk) and boutonniere (silk) for when we head to DTD just to add a little something extra.

We have been invited to our friends wedding at Disney, but its a stealth wedding.. Shhhh. Our friends are getting married at the SSR Tree House that they are going to be staying at for their Vaca / Mickeymoon. It's going to be super casual, and no fuss and no frills as they put it. There is going to be about 15 people plus the bride and groom give or take 1 or 2, then we are going to DTD for dinner and celebrating. They keep saying no fuss but my friend confided in myself and another friend that she would like to have some traditional touches but with flying its not really possible.

Another friend and I are bringing a few things to make it more special. We ordered a cake and bought a Mickey and Minnie topper, and covered something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. We picked up some small wedding plates, and napkins. Got a couple of bottles of champagne and those little plastic champagne glasses. We want to get some kind of flowers for them. Maybe a fresh bouquet for the ceremony and them they can enjoy them the rest of the trip, and maybe a wrist corsage ( silk) and boutonniere (silk) for when we head to DTD just to add a little something extra.

That is so sweet of you to surprise them with some of the traditional elements she's missing! Hope you all have a great time!

'Ooooh, they charge too much so I'm going to break the rules and sneak around.' :sad2:

That hits my hate spot.
It's not like they are sneaking around and getting a real Disney wedding without paying for it, or even that they want one. I have no bad feeling about a couple who murmur a few well-timed vows with loved ones in the park, and I paid a lot to have a Disney wedding. What they make happen for a few bucks and good timing takes nothing away from me or anyone else. Now, if it did, I would definitely feel differently.

We've stayed at this resort and have seen the tree houses. No better place for a private wedding. They are quite lovely. You are a great friend to help make this perfect for them!

I am soo loving this idea! I've never seen the treehouses in person but I think they would make a great place for a small, no frills wedding. :thumbsup2 And it's awesome that you're bringing those things as well to add to the fun & celebration!

As far as the idea of sneaking a wedding into a park, I agree with other PPs that as long as it's kept non-disruptive & as short as possible to respect those around you, I see no harm in it at all! I've also heard similar stories about weddings in the parks & CMs giving support for them when they noticed what was going on. To me, that is so wonderful & would definitely be a trip no one would forget! :goodvibes

Thanks for playing along:love:

I do think you have a fantastic idea, though, whether it could be implemented as a FP+ type of thing (or whatever DL has) or just a paid add-on like a tour.
1 point to Ceila for suggesting the weddings to be a paid add-on like a tour and another point for the before-the-rope drop suggestions on your favorite attraction....love the doom buggie suggestion as long as that doesn't give bad mo-jo for a doomed marriage:blush:

Somebody should get married on Splash Mountain. During the drop/picture.
1 point to FlightlessDuck for suggesting Splash Mtn during the drop/picture....that's what I call 'taking the plunge!':laughing:

That is a fantastic idea! Think of all the dead space in WDW that they could put this in, and you don't even need much room!
Best idea ever....get rid of Stitch's Great Escape and put the wedding "chapel" in there! Guests get a 360º view of the couple who can stand up where the test tube-thing is with the officiant! Each wedding would last as long as the "ride" does, 15 minutes. Plenty of time for I Do's etc...I can't find anything thing that says what the rider capacity is, but must be at least 20-30. Anyone?
1 point to pat fan for suggesting we finally let Stitch escape and another point for playing along so early in the game!:D

They probably had a huge shower and couldn't afford the wedding.
points to Disneylover99 for receiving over 29 likes for her post...Disboard record I feel sure!:worship:

...oxidized
..drain hole
point to marlynnp for making a random post about an oxidized drain hole that made Goofy Dad happy.(I'll grant more points if y'all fill us in):confused3

If at WDW, the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House would have worked perhaps, depending on the number of people. Heck, even on the train! SO many spots in Epcot. Geez, ...What if you get hitched on the Monorail? (I know, NOT in the parks but Disney property)
points to FINFAN for so many suggestions...like Swiss Fam Treehouse cuz that would start a marriage on a high note!:P

I've always liked the Tiki Birds, even the Under New Management version. I know lots of people say it's boring or corny, but I enjoy all its kitschiness. Walt and/or the designers may very well have been on an LSD trip when they came up with the idea.

:rockband:
Let's all sing like the birdies sing
Tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet

In the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room.....

If I ever marry my Sig Oth, maybe we'll do something similar. I know she'll be game for something like this. Maybe the Tiki Room, or maybe on the People Mover while going thru Space Mountain. Us, a JOP, and a few friends in the 5 or 6 cars of the train.
Bonus points to Rhombus for his general love of the Tiki Room and for the use of emoticons and song lyrics but more importantly for posing the question to his significant other to pull off their own sneaky cele on the PeopleMover:cloud9:

How about a wedding on the Tower of Terror? "I dooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
"Me tooooooooooooooooooooo"
more points to Goofy Dad for being just plain Goofy (I actually read your post in Goofy's voice):goofy:

my DH proposed on BTMRR, as we started the climb up the track. I guess I have a soft spot for the Tiki couple.
Romantic points to FINFAN's DH for proposing on BTMRR...hope your marriage has been a gold mine of love.:love2:

More points to FINFAN for loving the BTMRR area, the Tiki Gods in Adventureland and the cemetery path of HM(is that where the hidden engagement ring is?) for future sights. My vote is for BTMRR …UR BOLD, UR BRAVE, UR SPECIAL for choosing this spot.:blush:

California has no waiting period. I went to my county recorder to get a certificate copy, and in front of me was a couple getting a license and also asking if they had any wedding slots that day. They did in about an hour.

Another deal is that any marriage license from any county is good anywhere in the state. A friend got his marriage license in Santa Clara County because it was more convenient, but got married in San Francisco City Hall (it's a joint city/county government) because it was a really nice spot for a government-officiated wedding.
Smart points go to bcla for all the legal info and for wanting to get married AT YOSEMITE...cuz I love that place!:ewok:

Another friend and I are bringing a few things to make it more special. We ordered a cake and bought a Mickey and Minnie topper, and covered something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. We picked up some small wedding plates, and napkins. Got a couple of bottles of champagne and those little plastic champagne glasses. We want to get some kind of flowers for them. Maybe a fresh bouquet for the ceremony and them they can enjoy them the rest of the trip, and maybe a wrist corsage (silk) and boutonniere (silk) for when we head to DTD just to add a little something extra.

sweetness points to LovesTimone for celebrating her friend's Treehouse wedding and for all of her special surprise touches! and for other Disers for supporting her.:flower:

my DH and I did this at WDW back in 2010.
We had special shirts made with our role in the wedding (bride, groom, maid of honor, officiant, etc) made and we paid for everyone's entrance. My husband-to-be wore the top hat with mickey ears and I wore the Minnie veil ears. We waited right in front of the Cinderella's Castle while the show was going on and then the minute it ended and the crowd dispersed we rushed to the front and got married.

We had a small "thing" ourselves while we at WDW and no one was the wiser and we have an awesome memory and an experience that no one else (that I know of) has!

and.... the lightning round goes to Jliz and pat fan for pulling off their own sneaky celebrations!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Lastly points to everyone who was kind enough to participate in this thread because it made me feel like a winner for starting it.
:thanks:

I think if I were to do it:

Do it in the TOT, time it to kiss when at top when you can see out right before the first drop,lol,

Or haunted mansion

Or for the romantic side: go to the beach at the Polynesian,time it right before MK fireworks, kiss and bam sky lights up.

I actually like the idea of the still original Tiki room at DL like the couple in the article did----especially if you did it during Dapper Days and everyone was dressed all vintage--it would pull together so nicely :)

The quickie wedding service is an intriguing idea though (and I think would really go over if they kept it to a 10 minute thing for $50-$100 or do). I would totally do a vow renewal at that price, especially if we could do it in World Showcase before it opens, or on our own boat on the jungle cruise (there could be one dedicated Wedding Barge--plenty of time on that loop to have a nice little ceremony).

I actually like the idea of the still original Tiki room at DL like the couple in the article did----especially if you did it during Dapper Days and everyone was dressed all vintage--it would pull together so nicely :)

The quickie wedding service is an intriguing idea though (and I think would really go over if they kept it to a 10 minute thing for $50-$100 or do). I would totally do a vow renewal at that price, especially if we could do it in World Showcase before it opens, or on our own boat on the jungle cruise (there could be one dedicated Wedding Barge--plenty of time on that loop to have a nice little ceremony).

I got curious and looked it up. They really go through the works for the actual Disneyland weddings. They'll do stuff in off-peak season such as set up a wedding reception in front of It's a Small World after hours. They can do ceremonies in the morning before opening to the public.

https://www.disneyweddings.com/california/wishes/venues/small-world-mall/

SmallWorld.jpg

Most of their locations seem to be at the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. The Crystal Coach seems kind of extreme though. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a pumpkin. Seems like they're mixing different themes though.

ca_wishes_venues_sleeping_beauty_forecourt_1.jpg

Yeah, they can do some amazing things. At WDW I have always thought the ones inside the Great Movie Ride after hours seem particularly fun:

IMG_2717lr-520x346.jpg

Picture6-1.jpg

Best idea ever....get rid of Stitch's Great Escape and put the wedding "chapel" in there! Guests get a 360º view of the couple who can stand up where the test tube-thing is with the officiant! Each wedding would last as long as the "ride" does, 15 minutes. Plenty of time for I Do's etc...I can't find anything thing that says what the rider capacity is, but must be at least 20-30. Anyone?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Ellen's Energy Adventure. Bigger capacity, fresh air, church-like seating. Mute the sound, and someone creative could use the dark parts to dramatic effect.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but it seems to me that what this particular couple did isn't so bad. But the common theme expressed here is "as long as it doesn't get in the way." And that's the problem. For every thousand "reasonable" and considerate couples, there's going to be that one that just takes it over the line. Somehow, in ways I would never dream of (kinda like putting ashes in a fountain, who comes up with these things?).

And if Disney is mobilizing to put a stop to small, discreet weddings, I hope they have someone working on loud, chanting crowds too.

I have no problem with a couple having a wedding in their hotel room (or treehouse) but having a non DFTW wedding in the parks irritates me for one big reason. It's people who refuse to follow the rules who get the privilege taken away from everyone else. It starts in grade school. Someone talks or refuses to clean up and everyone's recess gets taken away. It continues forever.

I have no problem with a couple having a wedding in their hotel room (or treehouse) but having a non DFTW wedding in the parks irritates me for one big reason. It's people who refuse to follow the rules who get the privilege taken away from everyone else. It starts in grade school. Someone talks or refuses to clean up and everyone's recess gets taken away. It continues forever.

Frankly, this is kind of low on the outrage scale for me. For one, the official weddings and receptions sanctioned by Disney on park grounds happen when the park is closed or off the park proper. This seemed to be kind of small, rather unobtrusive, and didn't require a whole lot of resources (the reason why Disney charges so much).

My daughter still talks about the time a guy dropped down on one knee right next to us while waiting for Wishes and proposed to his girlfriend. I imagine she'd love telling a story about a stealth wedding too!
If it was in July 2013 it was my husband ♡ it was right before wishes and was magical. However we didnt get married there BUT took a 2 week honeymoon to wdw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter