Couple sneaks Wedding in the Tiki Room~Feelings? and other sneaky things done in the parks

A 90 second wedding is really no different than an engagement proposal except that there is a 3rd person (the officiant) involved. People may stop to watch either.

I've actually seen a group of CMs help pull off an engagement before (and it was a bit intrusive). It happened at the Animation drawing class at DHS. Everyone in the class became a part of the experience whether we wanted to or not. It was actually kind of funny because the intended bride didn't get what was happening at all (her sister did and started crying way before she caught on).

I also saw another engagement that same day happen in New Fantasyland. That one was very quiet and I only noticed because he got down on one knee.

OP also asked about other "sneaky" things in the parks besides unauthorized weddings. I really don't remember all that well ;), but there's the remote possibility that outside alcoholic beverages may have "accompanied" me into the parks. Completely accidentally, you understand. Including, gasp, the Magic Kingdom.

But I've never pool hopped, nor brought back a refillable mug from a previous trip, nor parked at DTD while staying offsite to avoid fees at the parks. I also never made a salad from the fixings bar to avoid paying for lunch, nor made up something to be offended by to get some compensation.

But, yeah, I was a blatant FP- hoarder......gathering them up in the morning and early afternoon and intentionally saving them for later. And sometimes I even wasted them by not using them later. :duck:

OP also asked about other "sneaky" things in the parks besides unauthorized weddings. I really don't remember all that well ;), but there's the remote possibility that outside alcoholic beverages may have "accompanied" me into the parks. Completely accidentally, you understand. Including, gasp, the Magic Kingdom.

But I've never pool hopped, nor brought back a refillable mug from a previous trip, nor parked at DTD while staying offsite to avoid fees at the parks. I also never made a salad from the fixings bar to avoid paying for lunch, nor made up something to be offended by to get some compensation.

But, yeah, I was a blatant FP- hoarder......gathering them up in the morning and early afternoon and intentionally saving them for later. And sometimes I even wasted them by not using them later. :duck:
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! WASTED FP's? That's it...I just, I can't....there are no words

lol...and I bet you never got your 18 year old kid in saying they were still 17 either to avoid adult price at a resort...

loved the post!:thumbsup2

Something tells me the couple didn't sneak in at all. I'm sure everyone in the party had park passes and went through the normal turnstiles. They all got in line at once for the Tiki show, went in, did their thing, and came out. No, I do not thing this falls under "unauthorized events". If it did, every proposal, family reunion, BTG, and "Gay Days" (among others) would all fall into the same category IMO.

As someone upthread mentioned, the only danger is if too many people take advantage of this (like the lock bridge). How exactly you prevent that, I don't know. But in THIS case, I don't see where they broke any rule, much less a law (Theft of Services). If you want to pull THAT card out, then no one should be allowed to bring food or drink into the parks. After all, they sell those products, and if someone brings their own, they're "stealing".

I don't know if this has been stated yet as I am still catching up. However, the key difference between bringing food into the parks and having stealth weddings is that Disney park policy allows people to bring their own food and drinks in. It is private property, they can allow or prohibit just about anything they want.

I don't know if this has been stated yet as I am still catching up. However, the key difference between bringing food into the parks and having stealth weddings is that Disney park policy allows people to bring their own food and drinks in. It is private property, they can allow or prohibit just about anything they want.
Right. And if you can show that weddings talked about in the OP are prohibited, then you might be able to argue "theft of services" (which is what a PP claimed this couple did).

Right. And if you can show that weddings talked about in the OP are prohibited, then you might be able to argue "theft of services" (which is what a PP claimed this couple did).

I never said anything about theft of services or any such thing. All I said was I am pretty sure weddings on Disney property are prohibited unless they are planned through DFTW.

The post of mine you quoted was in response (actually I quoted) to a PP who claimed this was "Theft of Services". And "pretty sure" doesn't mean "factual".

I admit, I'm surprised we're having this discussion. A wedding is an event. It may be a short event, but it's an event. Unauthorized events are not allowed, which is stated. Disney has their own wedding department, you aren't allowed professional photography in the parks, and you can't wear wedding attire. It's fairly clear they don't want weddings happening all over their parks. (Someone mentioned this is how we end up over-regulated...). At this point, even if we emailed Disney and they came back with a official, specific statement that unauthorized weddings aren't allowed, there would be people saying they must not mean it because there was this time when (insert a story about a cast member didn't follow the rules here).

I admit, I'm surprised we're having this discussion. A wedding is an event. It may be a short event, but it's an event. Unauthorized events are not allowed, which is stated. Disney has their own wedding department, you aren't allowed professional photography in the parks, and you can't wear wedding attire. It's fairly clear they don't want weddings happening all over their parks. (Someone mentioned this is how we end up over-regulated...). At this point, even if we emailed Disney and they came back with a official, specific statement that unauthorized weddings aren't allowed, there would be people saying they must not mean it because there was this time when (insert a story about a cast member didn't follow the rules here).

Frankly, the fact that Disney is not specific works to their advantage. They can stop one if they feel they have to (i.e., attempting a wedding in front of the castle) but also enjoy the good publicity they garner when someone pulls one off, as was the case with the Tiki Room. It's really a win-win for them.

As for it being an "event," again, they keep that definition loose so they can do what they want with it. You could argue that other things that happen in the parks are events as well - birthday and anniversary celebrations, marriage proposals, etc.

Just curious - did you have a Disney wedding?

Frankly, the fact that Disney is not specific works to their advantage. They can stop one if they feel they have to (i.e., attempting a wedding in front of the castle) but also enjoy the good publicity they garner when someone pulls one off, as was the case with the Tiki Room. It's really a win-win for them.

As for it being an "event," again, they keep that definition loose so they can do what they want with it. You could argue that other things that happen in the parks are events as well - birthday and anniversary celebrations, marriage proposals, etc.

Exactly.
There are many things that can be considered events that are allowed, proposals for one.
Disney knows what they are doing, they could easily state "No wedding ceremonies allowed within the parks", but they don't and the reason is because a 90 second wedding going viral on social media is like a free commercial for them.

You've mentioned professional photography a couple of times. These people aren't bringing whole crews of wedding staff along with them, lol. They're bringing someone to make it official while their friends snap iPhone pics. It's hardly an "event." I've seen more obnoxious, over the top displays that are considered "allowed."

I personally don't see it as a black or white, right or wrong issue. I suspect that's how Disney wants it as mentioned in the quote below, they purposely keep it loose and act at their discretion.

As to photography they aren't going to dare tell people they can't bring their cameras into the parks. In fact they encourage it and any CM will gladly grab a few pics with your camera for you. Trust me, there's been more pro gear brought into the parks then you can shake a stick at. *I bring my fair share every trip but unless I'm blocking paths and stopping people from coming through (making a scene) to get a shot of Splash or the Castle they're going to leave me be and let me take my pics. I'm using pro gear, I've been paid to take other people's pics so am I technically not allowed to shoot in the parks?

Again, they keep it to their discretion. Disney is far more concerned about keeping people in the parks and coming back to the parks. Kicking people out over a 90 second wedding or someone who is clearly doing an engagement session discreetly would be bad press. The Tiki room wedding or that pic with a guy on bent knee going viral is good press. They're business people, they know what's going on and they choose their battles accordingly.

*disclaimer: I do not and would not take photos for profit in the parks.

Curiosity and impatience (and killing time while waiting on something to dry before I can move on to the next task) got the better of me, so I did a quick Google search. It looks like Ember did indeed have a DFTW, which explains a lot at me.

The thing is, a quick 90-second wedding is nothing compared to what she and other DFTW brides pay for. No professional photos, as you mention, no Mickey and Minnie, no carriage, etc., etc., etc. Personally, I just can't see having such a strong opinion on stealth weddings...especially to go so far as to say that the sneaking around is a bad way to start a marriage.

I don’t see a 2 minute wedding differing much from a proposal
or a family gathering where someone gives a toast at an ADR
or a teacher/leader/tour guide who stands before their group in the park and gives instructions on the next activity
or a group of business people on convention leaving Test Track that gather after the ride to discuss the experience.

For those who followed the Brawl at Test Track thread, the article stated that a Disney spokesperson said no one was ejected from the park. If Disney didn’t eject participants in a fist fight, are we to believe that they are going to start throwing out participants in heart warming events?

The ‘Brawl at Test Track’ lasted far longer than the Sneaky Tiki Wedding.

I think Disney would much prefer the positive press over the negative.

Last edited:
Curiosity and impatience (and killing time while waiting on something to dry before I can move on to the next task) got the better of me, so I did a quick Google search. It looks like Ember did indeed have a DFTW, which explains a lot at me.

The thing is, a quick 90-second wedding is nothing compared to what she and other DFTW brides pay for. No professional photos, as you mention, no Mickey and Minnie, no carriage, etc., etc., etc. Personally, I just can't see having such a strong opinion on stealth weddings...especially to go so far as to say that the sneaking around is a bad way to start a marriage.

So is the big deal that if they allow stealth weddings in the parks, those who had a DFTW are then in a less exclusive group? Really? I just can't wrap my head around that.

So is the big deal that if they allow stealth weddings in the parks, those who had a DFTW are then in a less exclusive group? Really? I just can't wrap my head around that.

That, and it seems that some are just upset because they feel others got away with something. They can't really show what rule they broke to get away with something, so I'm not really sure why it's so important to them. Until they start trespassing and/or banning people from Disney property because of unauthorized weddings, I'll choose to believe that they really aren't taking a firm stance on any of it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter