Could the Dream Turn the Grump into a Believer? Charleston Update 10/13

Wow, a dolphin encounter would be so much fun! What a great experience!

Love the ornament! Glad your dolphin encounter was awesome. I've been to San Salvador in the Bahamas on a 10 day study abroad trip for college. All the locals on the island work in Nassau because it is the tourist island and where all the jobs are. From what they said, it is VERY different in Nassau, even some of the locals don't like it there, particularly around the cruise ships. We only stopped there from Miami before flying into San Sal and I totally got that vibe too. Hope you can check out more of the islands, it really is a wonderful place! Can't wait to see more of your trip!

Hooray an update!!! :cool1: Thanks so much for the sea lion pictures, we'll be doing that next May, if I can get us spots, and I haven't seen any pictures before. Glad to see Don with a beautiful smile on his face, could he be being swayed? The boys look so happy also, sounds like it was a fabulous day other than the straw market and strange video/picture experience.

I guess I'm one of the freaks that doesn't mind the straw market!:laughing: Actually I was thinking I might skip it next year, but who am I kidding? I know I will have a list of purchases from my daughters. They love those fake handbags and I really wanted to find a watch. They just didn't have one I liked. Boo! The Rum cakes are worth getting off for however!:goodvibes

Yay! An update!! Okay, between you, Jen, and CP, I am feeling GUILTY, guilty guilty about my TR!!! :laughing: I have to get going! I have tons of trip photos from Vero and WDW, and I have not even gotten off the boat yet!!! :rotfl:

BUT I must say, yeah, not interested in Nassau. I find it really neglected. I have not been to Atlantis, and I hear that is really pretty, so I would still like to go there at some point. But I am content to stay on the boat, otherwise!

Glad you had fun with the dolphins! Great photos. :goodvibes

Wow - An update!!!!!!

More cute pictures of the boys and the dolphins! You all look like you are having a blast. That dolphin encounter looks wonderful.

Sorry the shopping experience was so yucky. I would hate it too. I heard that about Nassau, but I think it's one of those things you have to experience yourself.

Fun update!!!!:thumbsup2

I know, it's about time, right?! :laughing:

You are right, everyone does need to experience Nassau for themselves, not everyone feels the way I do - our very own Miss Anita Wigd for one - it doesn't bother her at all! :thumbsup2

What an adorable Christmas ornament! Love it!

What a bizarre situation having to go through the employees only door to view your pictures. :confused3 Glad you were able to get them and your video, though.

Okay, after reading your description of Nassau and knowing that Happydog always stays onboard the boat that day, I don't think I need to see it, either. I detest crowds, so I cannot imagine having a good time there.

I thought that Christmas ornament was so cute, and a perfect reminder of our time there!

The whole picture situation was pretty unorganized and confusing. :confused3

HD has it right for sure! I wish we would have just stayed on board after we came back for lunch. I am glad we did the excursion though, Blue Lagoon Island was nothing like the area of Nassau right around port. :goodvibes

Great update!

Blue sky, ocean spray, gentle breeze, palm trees, sea lions, dolphins, cute boys, christmas decorations and Atlantis. What more could you ask for (spot the odd one out ;))?

Love that christmas decoration!

Christmas decorations just don't quite seem to fit the tropical theme there do they? :laughing:

Michelle, you are back. I was getting worried about you.

Wonderful update; I just love seeing those pics with the dolphins and I love sea lions too. I'm glad you were able to get a video after the confusion of where you were supposed to go.

Thanks for the heads up on Nassau.

Thanks Kathy, I've just been ridiculously busy. I'm actually skipping Jared's baseball games today because I told Don I just really needed a day at home. I feel like a bad mom because of it, but just the thought of getting up and spending another entire day away from home, well, I just couldn't do it. :sad2:

We almost did the sea lion encounter because it was a little bit cheaper, but in the end the dolphins won out - we realized that one just excited us a lot more.

Some people don't mind Nassau at all, it just wasn't for me.

Great update! Thanks for telling us your views on Nassau. I've heard that from other people! I agree with other posters -- I am not a fan of crowds at all so I doubt I would enjoy it either!

You ended up getting a lot of really beautiful pictures though!!! :thumbsup2

It's not that it was super crowded outside of the straw market, and the only reason it felt crowded in the straw market was because there is so much merchandise crammed in there, it was just, I don't know - yucky :snooty:

Love the ornament! :santa:

That seems to be the overall consensus on Nassau... It is too bad. But sounds like more time to explore the ship is a very good thing!

All in all, looks like a fun day. I would love the dolphin encounter, I think (minus pics of me in my bathing suit :eek:)

I love the ornament too! I really have a sickness when it comes to purchasing Christmas ornaments, I have waaaaay too many. (Don't tell Don that I admitted that though, k? ;) )

Yeah, pictures of me in my bathing suit were the only bad part of the day, but I didn't want to cut myself out and act like I wasn't there either. Maybe if I look at them enough it will force me to start losing some weight :laughing:

Sounds like the photo/video package is a pretty good deal for what you get. Do they take credit cards or do I need to bring cash?
Also, love the ornament.........thanks for the shopping idea.

I HATE Nassau.....I really do not like being accosted to buy things (which is one reason why I have no desire to go back to Mexico). We usually don't get off the ship either, but really wanted to do the dolphin experience this time, but there will be no walking around & shopping for us.

They take credit cards :thumbsup2

I hate people pushing me to buy things too, it just makes me uncomfortable. And I hate that nothing is priced, forcing you to ask 'how much', which in turn forces you to haggle - it's just not fun for me.

Wow the dolphin encounter looks amazing! I love dolphins!:lovestruc

Sorry to hear about Nassau. I hate that. I'll be there next month and I was going to try to walk to historic parts (if there are any!) pirate:

I think there is an excursion that takes you on a tour of the historic parts of Nassau. I don't know that I would be comfortable doing a lot of walking around there, but that's just me - I'm an overly cautious wimp :rolleyes:

Wow, a dolphin encounter would be so much fun! What a great experience!

It was fun! I'd love to do the swim too!

Love the ornament! Glad your dolphin encounter was awesome. I've been to San Salvador in the Bahamas on a 10 day study abroad trip for college. All the locals on the island work in Nassau because it is the tourist island and where all the jobs are. From what they said, it is VERY different in Nassau, even some of the locals don't like it there, particularly around the cruise ships. We only stopped there from Miami before flying into San Sal and I totally got that vibe too. Hope you can check out more of the islands, it really is a wonderful place! Can't wait to see more of your trip!

Maybe someday we'll get to see more of what the Bahamas has to offer.

A 10 day study abroad trip sounds like a really cool experience!

Hooray an update!!! :cool1: Thanks so much for the sea lion pictures, we'll be doing that next May, if I can get us spots, and I haven't seen any pictures before. Glad to see Don with a beautiful smile on his face, could he be being swayed? The boys look so happy also, sounds like it was a fabulous day other than the straw market and strange video/picture experience.

The area around the sea lions looked really pretty! We almost booked that encounter, before ultimately deciding on the dolphins.

Don had very few, if any, complaints about the cruise.

I guess I'm one of the freaks that doesn't mind the straw market!:laughing: Actually I was thinking I might skip it next year, but who am I kidding? I know I will have a list of purchases from my daughters. They love those fake handbags and I really wanted to find a watch. They just didn't have one I liked. Boo! The Rum cakes are worth getting off for however!:goodvibes

I know! I guess there is nothing the shopper extraordinaire can't handle :thumbsup2

Somehow I forgot all about the rum cakes :sad2:

Yay! An update!! Okay, between you, Jen, and CP, I am feeling GUILTY, guilty guilty about my TR!!! :laughing: I have to get going! I have tons of trip photos from Vero and WDW, and I have not even gotten off the boat yet!!! :rotfl:

BUT I must say, yeah, not interested in Nassau. I find it really neglected. I have not been to Atlantis, and I hear that is really pretty, so I would still like to go there at some point. But I am content to stay on the boat, otherwise!

Glad you had fun with the dolphins! Great photos. :goodvibes

HA! Nothing to feel guilty about - it had been 3 weeks since I updated mine! I do really want to see those Vero pics though - so get on the ball missy!! :laughing:

Yeah, I saw pretty quickly why you always stay on the ship when in port in Nassau. I would like to visit Atlantis at some point though.

LOL what a great update!!! I really wish I could have been with you guys! But I'm so looking forward to my first cruise next year!! Going to be a blast!!

You guys look like you had a blast with the dolphins, loved the pictures!!!

I'll have my first encounter with Naussau and we'll have to see how I like it! I do know you can get some good deals down there!! Atlantis sounds like a blast!!!!

I love that ornament, so cute!
I love your blue lagoon pictures. I got some of those...on my lost card. LOL!

They had our pictures ready right away to look at, but then I had to "order" them and the dvd too. Our guy was kind of weird though too. It's like they didn't have a good system down.

I think the Bahamas must be cursed for Dissers! Your battery dies, and Jen looses her card! So between the two of you, you might have 10 pictures. :laughing: I hope I have better luck! I'm going to make sure I take an extra battery and SD card that day!

It's a bummer that you had to wait for your pictures but at least you got to roam around a bit and see what else was there. I want to do that too.

I think I will feel the same way as you about the straw market. I can't stand it when people get all in your face like that. I might grab a rum cake, but then we are outta there!

LOL what a great update!!! I really wish I could have been with you guys! But I'm so looking forward to my first cruise next year!! Going to be a blast!!

You guys look like you had a blast with the dolphins, loved the pictures!!!

I'll have my first encounter with Naussau and we'll have to see how I like it! I do know you can get some good deals down there!! Atlantis sounds like a blast!!!!

Me too! It's a bummer they wouldn't let you add on. But like you said, now you have something new to look forward to :yay:

You'll have Anita with you to protect you from the craziness that is Nassau, she seems to have no problem with it :thumbsup2

I love that ornament, so cute!
I love your blue lagoon pictures. I got some of those...on my lost card. LOL!

They had our pictures ready right away to look at, but then I had to "order" them and the dvd too. Our guy was kind of weird though too. It's like they didn't have a good system down.

Oh, I still feel so bad for you losing that card :sad2:

I think the problem with the pictures was that our group ran really late. Our group was pretty large to begin with, plus there was a handicapped girl in the group that took extra time. We were in the very last set of people to go into the water, I think the people that finished earlier probably got to see their pictures right away. I'm afraid they had wiped them from the screens by the time we got there.....

I think the Bahamas must be cursed for Dissers! Your battery dies, and Jen looses her card! So between the two of you, you might have 10 pictures. :laughing: I hope I have better luck! I'm going to make sure I take an extra battery and SD card that day!

It's a bummer that you had to wait for your pictures but at least you got to roam around a bit and see what else was there. I want to do that too.

I think I will feel the same way as you about the straw market. I can't stand it when people get all in your face like that. I might grab a rum cake, but then we are outta there!

I ALWAYS carry an extra battery for my DSLR, but I didn't splurge for the extra battery for the waterproof camera, which is what we were using that day. At least I got the most important pictures from our encoutner before it died :thumbsup2

I wanted to walk around the island anyway, so I really didn't mind waiting for the pictures. I just wish they had been better organized!

You might ask Anita where it is cause I missed the rum cake place - maybe you'll get lucky and not have to go too close to the straw market!

What a cute Christmas ornament!

Good to know about Nassau. That would have driven me crazy and DH even more!

Love all the dolphin pictures.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 The six pack of rum cakes came home with me!!! In fact, I ate some a little while ago. They are assorted flavors and not much bigger than a donut when you open them!!!:rotfl2: but they are yummy!!!
The rum cake place was on a side street near Burger King! Near the water, it wasn't on the main drag with all the shops!
Michelle, I agree with you about Nassau, it's not my favorite place either. We did get off and walk around. We also took a horse and buggy around (Thanks Anita for posting your pics of it!! :) ) the island which was way too short IMHO!! DS feared for is life cause the guy just kind of pulled out into the traffic. They aren't very good driver's in Nassau!!! LOL!!

Your dolphin encounter looks like it was fun. Maybe, we'll have to try it sometime.....although DH is in no hurry to go back to Nassau.

What a cute Christmas ornament!

Good to know about Nassau. That would have driven me crazy and DH even more!

Love all the dolphin pictures.

Nassau didn't bother Don nearly as much as it did me, he was fine!

Ahhh, the dolphins - so awesome :love:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 The six pack of rum cakes came home with me!!! In fact, I ate some a little while ago. They are assorted flavors and not much bigger than a donut when you open them!!!:rotfl2: but they are yummy!!!
The rum cake place was on a side street near Burger King! Near the water, it wasn't on the main drag with all the shops!
Michelle, I agree with you about Nassau, it's not my favorite place either. We did get off and walk around. We also took a horse and buggy around (Thanks Anita for posting your pics of it!! :) ) the island which was way too short IMHO!! DS feared for is life cause the guy just kind of pulled out into the traffic. They aren't very good driver's in Nassau!!! LOL!!

Your dolphin encounter looks like it was fun. Maybe, we'll have to try it sometime.....although DH is in no hurry to go back to Nassau.

See, I totally don't even remember a Burger King - obviously, I had one thing on my mind - getting out of there and getting back on the boat :laughing:

I do remember Anita posting pics of their horse & buggy ride, that looked like it could be fun - not so much if the driver is just going to pull out into traffic though - car against horse drawn buggy is not a good match up! :eek:

Before I start my update I just have to do a little dancin', cause ONE MONTH from today I'll be in WDW partaking in the F&W festival with the girls!!

:cool1: :woohoo: :yay: :dance3: :cheer2:

OK, enough dancin', back to your regularly scheduled TR........

We made our way back onto the ship, and getting back did not go nearly as smoothly this second time around. Since it was getting later in the day everyone was making their way back, and we were not the only boat in port - it was a madhouse! And quite honestly, it was a bit of a joke - I don't think the customs guy even looked at either one of us, he took our cards, moved them around in his hand a couple of times, putting one in front of the other, and then sent us on our way. Yeah, I feel safe now..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's a lesson for you - if you get off the ship in Nassau, don't wait until close to all aboard time to go back, it'll save you the headache of being crammed in a small area with a lot of other people!

Once on board we just went back to our stateroom to jump in the shower and start getting ready for the evening. I can't remember if the kids were there or not, but it seems like they were still out playing basketball or something.

The show tonight was

IMG_6510.jpg

It was pretty cute. The premise of the show was that Hades needed to collect more evil because he was in danger of losing his position as lord of the underworld. The guy playing Hades was fantastic, he was so funny!

Pain and Panic came out to get the audience warmed up and they played a big part in the entire show. They were sometimes amusing, sometimes annoying :laughing:

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6515_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

The Fates - ooooo, creepy

IMG_6524.jpg

I thought it was cool how they made Hades head smolder!

IMG_6529_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6533.jpg

Pain and Panic with the 'evil meter' that needed to be filled up

IMG_6534.jpg

Ursula - she was great too

IMG_6537_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6539_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6541_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6544_edited-1.jpg

Scar - couldn't get a decent picture of him

IMG_6547_edited-1.jpg

Yzma & Kronk, they were slightly irritating.....

IMG_6549_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

Continued in the next post

There was this whole deal between the Evil Queen & Maleficent, but the stage was always so dark when they were on, I had a really hard time getting any pictures

IMG_6553_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

Captain Hook

IMG_6562.jpg

Cruella - she was the same one as the night before and she was great once again! She had a little fashion show which was really fun

IMG_6567_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_6571.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

Jafar - if I remember right, this was some kind of game show.....

IMG_6576_edited-1.jpg

The big finale

IMG_6579_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6580.jpg

IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

After the show was over we went into the atrium because I wanted to get another family picture - you know, in case the ones from the night before were terrible or something. ;) I ended up buying this one

06-14-2011-15-26-38-494.jpg

After that we ran back up to our stateroom for something, can't remember what though. Anyway, we realized that the boat was moving once again, and since we had some time to kill before dinner, we stepped out onto the verandah. When we did I saw that we were sailing right past the lighthouse - I quick ducked into the room and grabbed my camera so that I could take a few pictures

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

Continued in the next post

We enjoyed the view for awhile and then made our way down to dinner. Tonight we were dining at the Royal Palace. Anita and crew had once again beaten us to the restaurant.

Just a note, we never got in a big hurry to get to the restaurants in the evenings. There were many people who began lining up as dinner time got close, we just didn't feel the need to stand in line. We would wait until a couple of minutes past our seating time and by that time the line was gone and we could go almost right to our table.

Petar came over to get our drink orders almost as soon as we sat down. I once again ordered one of the specialty cocktails, and once again, I did not get it. :sad2: Don however, got the remainder of the last nights wine right away and also was able to place the order for the next bottle, which was brought to him as soon as bottle #1 was empty. I guess in order to get a drink, I needed to be a wine drinker.......

On to our meal.

Appetizers:

Justin got the Lobster and Shrimp

IMG_6601.jpg

And Don and I both ordered the Escargots. I had never eaten escargot before and was a little leery to try it, but I'm so glad I did, it was very good!

IMG_6602.jpg

Soup and Salad:

Mine - Avocado Citrus Salad

IMG_6603.jpg

Don's - French Onion Soup

IMG_6604.jpg

I think Justin just had the green salad, but I don't have a picture, so I can't be certain.

For our entrees, we all got the same thing - Beef Tenderloin with Lobster Medallions and Potatoes - it was really good!

IMG_6605.jpg

Jared ordered off the kids menu on this night, and I didn't take any pictures of his meal as he was at the far end of the table, away from me. I did get a picture of his dessert though - he was predictable, and again ordered a Mickey Bar.

IMG_6606.jpg

Mario came rushing back after delivering the Mickey bar and with him he had two plates. He insisted that we all needed to pose with the Mickey bar :laughing:

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

This was Justin's, and I think Don got it too, I think it was the Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Mousse

IMG_6607.jpg

I had the Crème Brulee - those of you who have read my reports for awhile know that if there is crème brulee on the menu, I'm ordering it - this night was no exception

IMG_6608.jpg

We got more entertainment tonight from our wait staff. Tonight instead of jokes, we got a magic trick. Mario held up a table cloth while Petar ducked down behind it - Mario said a few magic words and while he was doing that Petar ran like a duck and hid behind a service counter. I know you probably had to be there, but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, we were laughing so hard I almost had tears! :lmao:

A couple more pictures before we leave the restaurant - Jared thought he needed to be entertaining too, and he gave himself a chocolate mustache :rolleyes:

IMG_6614.jpg

One more, I bought this picture that the photographer walking around the restaurant took of Don and I

06-14-2011-15-27-21-944.jpg

Even though we had had a very full day, we weren't quite ready to call it a night yet. You see, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was playing in the theater and I had yet to see it - tonight was the night! Marc and Anita skipped out on the movie, but the rest of us headed to the theater. Don took his bottle of wine with him.......

While we were waiting for the movie to start I decided that I couldn't watch a movie without popcorn so I went out to get us some popcorn and some drinks. Don drank his wine.........

So, we watched the movie, we all enjoyed it, Don enjoyed his wine.........

A little too much, because he was sound asleep in his chair when the movie ended! :lmao:

We woke him up, and I of course, made everyone stay until after the credits to see the little bonus scene. Then we said our goodbye's to Baylor and headed up to bed, tomorrow was Castaway Cay day!!

Wonderful update! I'm so sorry you didn't get your drink. I used to be a waitress and was mortified when I forgot something, so I always remind my servers if they forget something.

Thanks for the suggestion of not boarding last minute :) That's actually exactly what we were planning to do after Atlantis, wanted to squeeze every single second out of the day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter