Could the Dream Turn the Grump into a Believer? Charleston Update 10/13

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by SoonerGirl, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

I've got more AKL pics coming up in the next update. I may even get that done this afternoon. :thumbsup2

I really want to stay at the Poly too, I just love it there, so tropical and relaxing!

I am super excited about the girls trip, I think we may just need to make this an annual thing! I do want to take the boys again soon though, they haven't been since December of 2009, much too long ago!

Once we started collecting pins, I just thought the resort ones would be a good souviner. I'll be expanding that collection in October by at least 1, but maybe by 2 or 3 :laughing:

I had to check on the TT pin, and yes, it does move!

I really did fall in love with AKL, hopefully I'll get some good pin codes in the future so that I can stay there again!

Thanks, I think they're pretty cute, but I'm biased ;)

Yep, we have one not far away and a new one that is really close that should be opening any day now. Baylee has so many clothes though, I'm really trying to keep from buying her more. I'm afraid she'd outgrow them before she got a chance to wear them!

We don't have just a whole lot of bakeries around here that can do the kind of work this lady does so I guess she stays pretty booked up!

The dresser was in a little alcove right inside the door, kind of away from everything else. We didn't even use it since we were only there for 2 nights, but I know it would come in handy on a long trip! I can't believe you guys only had the 2 drawers on the TV stand - we had more storage than that on the cruise ship!

Yep, I did get the Walt & Mickey mug at WoD. They have so much stuff in there, it can be overwhelming, especially with the crowds. Try and go to DTD in the morning, it's a much more enjoyable experience!

There is a Basin inside the GF too, you HAVE to check it out!

Anita and Jen have made several ADRs and they added HD & I to them, not sure how many we'll go to though, we want to save room in our bellies for F&W food! :laughing: Definitely doing Cali Grill and Blue Zoo though, I can't wait to try those!

If we can work it out we may do the F&W dessert party with VIP seating for Illuminations, it's only offered on our arrival day though so I'm not sure we'll get in early enough, we'll see!

No PTRs going that I know of, we've all got TRs in progress and I'm not sure we can keep up with both! :laughing: It would be a good place for us to organize our ideas......hmmmmmm

I try not to be a nag about the money he spends on sporting goods, you know, since I like purses and shoes so much....... :rolleyes1

The cookbooks are just so cute! I need to actually open it up and cook something out of it though instead of just looking at it :laughing:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

Oh that sounds like fun! Too bad we are going to miss it!

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! I'm sorry I haven't gotten you any cruise info yet, I should at least be on the ship before you leave...

I think I've been enough now that I hope I can cut back on being the park commando. There is a lot to be said for slowing down and taking in everything else :thumbsup2

I know! I know! I'll get my last WDW update done today so that we can get on the ship already :laughing: When we were on the ship I felt like I was taking a lot of pictures, but when I actually got home and looked at them, I didn't have nearly as many as I had thought. I really wish I had taken more. I think I was looking and absorbing more than taking pictures. I can't wait to see yours and Anita's pics from Vero!

We might all be coming home with that new Dooney! I'll be on the hunt for it that's for sure!

Don't try and duck out of work too early for my sake, unless of course, you just want to :rolleyes1

I wonder why they don't have separate POR/POFQ pins, the themeing is really quite different!

You know, I'm actually closer to Marc than you are, maybe he needs to finish Anita's and then run down here and get in a bit more practice in my backyard before he heads east ;)

That's a good idea to get Basin for the girls teachers! Maybe I'll get some in October and put it up for Christmas - that is if I can leave it alone and not use it myself :laughing:

4. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

It was really hard to buy anything for myself in Basin. I just felt like I had already spent enough and I knew more $$ was going to spent shopping on the cruise!

I am totally shocked that you have that Dumbo ornament ;)

You are going to love EoS, it's really good :thumbsup2

WHAT?? No way can you keep that a secret missy! Spill it sister! :lmao:

I'll be on a mission to find it, I may get nothing else done while we are there :laughing:

I don't think we are going to have time for EoS in October, I'm going to miss it! I really think I need to tack on another day to this trip.......

5. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

We left DTD and made our way back to AKL.

[​IMG]

The boys wanted to change and go swimming right away, but we had plans to meet up with Anita (wigdoutdismom), Marc (wsushocker) & Jen (jenjolt) as soon as they were finished with their late lunch at Le Cellier. I told the boys that it shouldn't be much longer and to just wait, we'd be swimming with our DIS friends soon.

Don and I decided to go for a little walk around the resort, the boys opted to stay in the room and watch TV.

We made our way out to an observation deck and plopped ourselves down in the rocking chairs.

[​IMG]

There was a gentleman out there when we arrived and I guess he got frustrated that we crashed his private spot because we weren't there long before the guy sighed and got up and left. It was really kinda strange, we weren't being loud or anything, just rocking in the chairs and looking at the savannah. :confused3 Oh well, now it was our private spot!

Our view: the backside of a warthog :laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of relaxing, we got up and went for a stroll - warning, picture overload about to occur!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the more flattering side of Pumbaa :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was about this time that I got a text from Anita saying that they were finished with lunch and on their way back to their resort. So, we went back to the room to pack up our swimsuits and grab the boys, we then made our way over the Beach Club. I was very excited to finally get to meet my DIS friends, and since we were cruising with them, the boys were excited to meet Anita and Marc's son Baylor.

Continued in the next post

6. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

They met us in the lobby and while Marc went to go find a few chairs by the pool, Anita took us on a little tour of their one bedroom villa (made me want DVC even more if that's possible!). Then we changed clothes and went down for our first look at SAB! :woohoo: What an awesome pool this is! Jared declared almost immediately that he wanted to stay there on our next trip - yeah, me too babe! :thumbsup2 The 3 boys took off to try the slide, not sure where Don went, but Anita, Jen and I grabbed some floats and jumped into the lazy river. You don't want to try the lazy river without a float unless you are a really good swimmer - it is deep! I'm afraid if I tried it, I'd be gravitating towards the side a lot for something to hold onto. :laughing:

Once we finished in the lazy river we swam around over where the CMs had some games going on. We found the boys playing volleyball, only it was being done with a giant beach ball. They looked like they were having a blast! We just kinda hung out in the water and chatted a bit. Eventually Don found me and he and I went to try the slide ourselves. It was so much fun, but all the bumps kinda hurt my back!

It was time for a little break now, so we went to our chairs to dry off. Don went and got us a couple of drinks, he had a beer and I think he got me a Mai Tai. Then I realized that I hadn't taken a single picture yet, so I got up to go find the boys and take a few pictures. These were all taken with my new waterproof point & shoot, I was pretty happy with the quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the boys still playing volleyball

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Baylor laying out for a shot

[​IMG]
    Justin getting some air!

Jared saw me and asked me to get a picture of him going down the slide

[​IMG]

I tried to get an underwater shot again.....

[​IMG]

I told the boys that they could swim for a few more minutes, but it was about time to go, it was getting late and I knew that Anita and crew had a dinner ADR that night, I didn't want us to stay too late and not give them enough time to get ready.

We got our stuff packed up, said our goodbye's and thanked them letting us be their guests for the afternoon. Then we walked around so that I could take a few more pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had eaten such an early lunch that we were starting to get really hungry, so we hurried back to AKL to get cleaned up for dinner. We had decided to venture over to the dark side for our meal that night....yes, we were going to Universal's City Walk :eek: I knew we weren't on Disney property anymore as soon as we arrived. We had never been to Universal and had no idea how the area was laid out, so we asked the parking garage attendant the best way to get to where we were going. He said, and I quote, "get out of your car and start walking" Thanks for being so informative :rolleyes:

Our dinner tonight would be at

[​IMG]
    Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

We had to wait for about 30 minutes for a table and we were starving by the time we got seated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we were looking over the menu Jared decided that he wanted crab legs. There were two problems with this, 1) someone was going to have to crack them for him and 2) it was an unpriced item on the menu, that usually only means one thing - it's expensive. When our server came to take our order we asked how much it was, $24.95. Now, normally we would never let Jared order a $25 meal, but we must have been feeling the calm vacation vibe, because we said ok...

I guess I didn't take pictures of our food because I can't find them anywhere. I can tell you we got some garlic bread for an appetizer, I had the crab stuffed shrimp, Don and Justin both got the 'bucket of boat trash' and Jared had his crab legs.

I did get a photo of my drink - a pomegranate margarita - yum!

[​IMG]

Our bill was just under $150 with tip, which I made sure to point out to Don, was just as expensive as a meal at WDW.....

We walked around for a bit afterwards and looked through a few shops, the boys were excited to see an NBA store

[​IMG]

We looked through the store but everything was so expensive, they both decided to hang onto their money.

We had an early morning planned for the next day, so it was time to head back to the room and get some sleep. I haven't mentioned this in awhile, but Jared's ear was still hurting him. We were being diligent about putting drying drops in them after he swam, but it didn't seem to be helping much.......

7. hardingk

hardingk DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Ut oh - Hope Jared's ears were ok! My last family trip as a child, I got a really bad swimmer's ear infection. I remember my parents renting a water boat from the Contemporary and I just laid there I was in such pain. They had to take me to a walk in medical center. I almost wasn't able to fly home, they were so bad.

8. TanzUnited99

TanzUnited99 DIS Veteran

Wow that gentleman sure sounded annoyed with you being there. Don’t know why as it is a spot for everyone to enjoy.

Lol at getting a photo of the backside of a Warthog! :laughing: I love all your pictures and it sure isn’t picture overload!

Sounds like you all had fun at The Beach Club! Great SAB pics and Beach Club is another resort I would love to stay at – just for the closeness to DHS and Epcot.

Wow at the helpfulness of the Universal CM :eek: Am glad you enjoyed Bubba Gump Shrimp Co though those crab legs sound pricey!

Hope Jared’s ear got better later on in the trip.

9. Happydog

Happydog DIS Veteran

Oh I hope the ear is okay!!! Right before the boat, yikes!

Isn't Beach Club FABULOUS!!!! It is a great summer season resort hands down! Well, it is great anytime I am sure! While it wasn't the most "christmas-y" we really liked it in December, and in the summer it was amazing! As you saw!!! :thumbsup2

Glad you checked out Universal Walk, we may explore that next time! Seems like you had a busy and fun day!!! :thumbsup2

10. pjstevens

pjstevens Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder

Loved the update and so cannot wait for 'tomorrow'!!! We stay at AKV (since we bought DVC and it's our home it's the only place we usually try). But I do want to try BC sometime cause I want to float in SAB!

What type of 'waterproof' camera did you get. I keep looking at them for our cruise and not wanting to spend a fortune, but want to get some photos in the water.

11. stace208

stace208 DIS Veteran

You've got me worried about Jared's ear...we've had many a ear mishaps here with Ben and traveling...:sad2:

I am drooling over AKL. So much more than I have seen on my couple of visits. Can't wait for October!

Great fun at DTD. We did get our meal at Earl in but then it poured and we didn't get much shopping done. Never did make it back. I don't know if we'll have time to go in October or not...I hope we can squeeze it in somewhere.

John and Ben went to Universal for 1 day this trip to see the Harry Potter stuff. I thought they'd hit City Walk for dinner but after being over there they decided to head back to Disney and eat with us. I've got them trained right!:thumbsup2

12. k_reile

k_reile Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

ok...so we stayed at the Beach Club our last trip and I did not know there was a lazy river! But in our defense it was 40 degrees the whole time so we missed out on the whole pool experience which upset me because that was one of the reasons we choose that hotel because we knew the little boys would love it!! Lesson learned that we will not go in Feb anymore!! LOL! It was still a little warmer than it was at home since we barely escaped a huge snowstorm!!

13. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Great update, Michelle. You are killing me with all of these pictures of AKL. I want it to get here so bad (although I don't want summer to end).

I'm sorry that Jared's ear was still bothering him and hope it was better by the time you got on the cruise ship.

We're going to go to the Bubba's Shrimp we have in Chicago next month as we've never been.

14. PrincessInOz

PrincessInOz Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!

Another great update Michelle. I really love the whole SAB and BC thing....I know I should try other resorts but for location and pool, it really can't be beat!

15. DisneyBoundinDec

DisneyBoundinDec DIS Veteran

LOVED the Poly.... but I did love AKL when we ate there, I guess I am just too afraid of it being so far away.. I think I will look into it when we are going to have a low key laid back vacation..

Let me know and I'm in!! :thumbsup2 I want to do food and wine with adults only.. I've been there with my boys, but it was very rushed and NOT ENOUGH WINE TIME!!! :rotfl:

you SOOOO made my sons day! :thumbsup2 I will be getting him that one in November!

It's sad isn't it.. :sad2: but then again, that's the DISNEY DIFFERENCE! I bet it was dirty too.. I always notice trash on the ground whenever I go to any other theme park area.. Disney is always clean!

:rotfl: and what did he say about that.. :rotfl:

I hope they got better by the cruise.. :sick: poor kid.. :(

16. Charleston Princess

Charleston Princess DIS Veteran

However did I get two updates behind??? At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed both of them! Shopping at DtD is always fun, and I love, love, love your new Christmas ornaments and pins! Makes me excited for the Christmas season -- even though it is still several months away! :laughing:

I always enjoy photo tours of AKL -- oh, and I fully endorse the yumminess of having zebra domes for breakfast! :thumbsup2 How nice that you were able to meet up with Anita, Marc, Baylor, and Jen for swimming at the Beach Club. Stormalong does sound like a blast!

Hmpf, not impressed with the Universal parking attendent. :headache:

17. TandLMommy28

TandLMommy28 DIS Veteran

I'm only finished reading through World of Coke, but I had to say thanks for all the pictures. We have been dying to go to World of Coke since hubby is a Coke Employee and we love all things Coca-Cola (maybe even more than we love Disney. Maybe.) We also have to drive through Atlanta to get to Disney so now I am thinking that our best bet just might be to make Atlanta our stopping point, do World of Coke in the morning and then carry on to Florida. What fun! Unlike you, I would only be scared of spending all my souvenir money there, though. The only souvenir I really bought on my last trip to WDW was at Club Cool, a bracelet made out of Coke bottle glass. :)

Can you tell me what hotel you stayed at in Atlanta?

18. klacey1

klacey1 DIS Veteran

The Beach Club pool really is something! I'm sorry the parking attendant was so rude to you-- we've never encountered that!

19. RinkyTinkyTinky

RinkyTinkyTinky DIS Veteran

I think you got some great pictures with your new camera! :thumbsup2

I am so jealous that you got to go swimming at SAB! I want to do that so badly! Miss Wigd loves to share her DVC goodness with everyone doesn't she! She is always so kind in her offers to everyone.

That water volleyball looked really fun too!

I know exactly what you mean about instantly knowing that you aren't in Kansas anymore! We feel the same way. We went to Seaworld during our first Disney trip and it was like stepping into another world. It was quite the rude awakening. No one does it like Disney.

20. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Your pictures just confirm why I love AKL so much. It's such a peaceful oasis. I guess that's why that guest thought you were entering his personal space. :rotfl:

You got a lot of great SAB pictures. Way more than I took. Your camera works great. Very cool to have a water proof camera. So great that you had a pre cruise hang out with Wigd and company.

Dinner sounds yummy. I really would like to eat there someday. :thumbsup2 pomegranted rita :thumbsup2

21. SoonerGirl

SoonerGirl DIS Veteran

Jared gets swimmer's ear at least once every summer and it's always at the most inopportune time too! It can be very painful, I can't imagine flying with it.

I can maybe see that man getting annoyed if our kids were running all over and ruining his peace and quiet, but it was just Don & I sitting there in the rocking chairs :confused3

Our trip to the BC just reaffirmed to me that we MUST stay there sometime, fabulous location, beautiful resort, great pool - what more could we ask for?!

Bubba Bump Shrimp Co is always a fun place to eat. I try and eat there everytime we are in a city that has one. Don and I are going to Charleston next month for our anniversary and there is one there, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to eat at a chain when there are probably much better seafood restaurants in that city.

Well you gotta know that since I keep mentioning it, the ear was an issue.....

LOVED the Beach Club! I would want to stay there when the weather was warm enough to enjoy SAB though. I told Don that I wanted to take Jared to WDW next year, if I can convince him we might just try and stay there.

I know I'm going to have to cave and take the boys to Universal pretty soon. They both love thrill rides!

We're almost to 'tomorrow'! I'd love to me a DVC member, I'd probably want AKV too, it's just such a relaxing resort!

Well, my waterproof camera wasn't cheap, I think it was around $380, I can't remember, Don bought it for me for a combo Mother's Day/Birthday present. It's a Canon PowerShot D10. There are cheaper options out there that I'm sure take good pictures. It's just that my DSLR is a Canon and I LOVE it, so I've kind of developed into a Canon snob :laughing:

I was really starting to worry about Jared's ear too. This wasn't the first time we've had ear issues with him while traveling.

I wish we had had more time at AKL, it's just beautiful!

Bummer that you didn't get a chance to shop while you were in DTD! At least you got some Earl's though - yum!

I dread the day when I have to spend a good chunk of my vacation at Universal, I know it coming....