Considering DVC, but I don't see how it's beneficial...

We were once like you too, debating on whether or not it was "worth it." We are glad we bought DVC resale at BLT. It gives many options for our Disney vacations. This summer, we are using a few years' points to stay in a grand villa with grandparents, cousins, an aunt and uncle. We visit WDW twice a year - once in summer and once for the FWF. We love the 1BR at BLT - two bathrooms is a must with kids our ages. Plus, they don't have to sleep in the same bed. And walking back after Wishes is priceless while everyone else runs for boats, monorail and buses!

DVC made sense for us, but I wasn't sure it did for a long time. What convinced us is that we could always sell it if it wasn't working for us. That gives us some peace of mind. We aren't tied to it forever.

Ok! Good points! I like the idea to rent a reservation from a DVC owner. That might make more sense for us for now. But just to clarify, we ALWAYS stay onsite for the perks and always find a way around rack rates, either with a seasonal discount or Starwood points. I'm a bargain hunter who is intent on an onsite WDW yearly vacation so finding a way for DVC to pay off for us is crucial to us joining. Thanks for the info! Keep it coming!
There are many who go routinely and stay off property and actually many who prefer to do so irregardless of cost. Those that haven't done so in a nice suite or timeshare really don't have the experience to know how they'd feel about it. But if you have something you do like and think you'd prefer, that's fine too. If you gave your specific stay preferences (other than starwood), I missed it but compared to a moderate you'll roughly break even for better and compared to a deluxe, you'll likely save money assuming resale. The proper comparison is a studio to the hotel room so roughly 100-120 points for a week at maybe $10-12K resale and yearly in the $600 a year range. But there are risks and compromises. One needs to be able to plan ahead, pay for the purchase, not have a high risk of cancelations and be OK with the compromises of a timeshare. If you don't think it's good for you better to miss out than make a bad purchase. Good luck either way.

I agree that DVC doesn't really save money. We love it because we're a small family that requires space. All of us are bathroom hogs (hurray for the 2 bedrooms with 3 baths at VGC!!!! :D) Yes, we could stay for cheaper in a hotel room onsite, or a condo offsite, but I hate being crowded, and I want us all to have access to Disney transportation. Cabs would get expensive because we come and go, and split up routinely. My young adult kids like to stay in the afternoon and I want to go home and nap. :-) DVC lets the 3 of us each have our own "space," a kitchen, a washer/dryer, and access near the parks, so for us it works, even if it isn't the cheapest option. I don't miss the dining plan, because I find a bunch of ADRs and going to restaurants constantly to be a chore. I travel with work and eat out a lot anyway, so it's not all that special to me. Having a kitchen allows us to eat in or eat out on our schedule rather than trying to maximize dining plan credits.

up until recently DVC didn't make sense to us as a family of 5. We usually booked with either Free dining or % off room and we stayed value or moderate. It made no sense what so ever. If we were a deluxe family than yes it would have made sense but not the way we travelled. Now, we are a family of 6 and renting 2 value rooms or moderate room came to about the same price as annual dues DVC makes sense. We will have a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and laundry during our vacation. We recently bought into it and looking forward to enjoying Disney at another level.

I agree that DVC doesn't really save money. We love it because we're a small family that requires space. All of us are bathroom hogs (hurray for the 2 bedrooms with 3 baths at VGC!!!! :D) Yes, we could stay for cheaper in a hotel room onsite, or a condo offsite, but I hate being crowded, and I want us all to have access to Disney transportation. Cabs would get expensive because we come and go, and split up routinely. My young adult kids like to stay in the afternoon and I want to go home and nap. :-) DVC lets the 3 of us each have our own "space," a kitchen, a washer/dryer, and access near the parks, so for us it works, even if it isn't the cheapest option. I don't miss the dining plan, because I find a bunch of ADRs and going to restaurants constantly to be a chore. I travel with work and eat out a lot anyway, so it's not all that special to me. Having a kitchen allows us to eat in or eat out on our schedule rather than trying to maximize dining plan credits.
In reality most people don't save money with DVC, they actually spend more. But the potential is there to save money compared to certain situations, namely routine stays for moderates or above on property. A studio vs hotel room or a 2 BR vs hotel room can save money if one has the discipline not to spend more in other areas and one doesn't alter usual travel habits. However, for most of us, it provides value but doesn't really save money.

As our guide said to us when we bought, "DVC is for you if you want to stay in Disney deluxe venues. If you're happy when less then it's probably not a full value." That is exactly why we bought - for all my deal hunting and discount room rates DVC offers the best room rate. You do give up housekeeping but I've been making my own bed for a long time. I do miss the coffee :)

In reality most people don't save money with DVC, they actually spend more. ......(snip)...... for most of us, it provides value but doesn't really save money.

I agree.

Many who buy DVC end up spending more than they planned when they did their initial $$ analysis.

For example, they start staying in larger accommodations, go more often, invite family and friends (and provide the lodging for those trips) and / or stay in resorts that cost more points per night than their home resort.

Although all of those uses have value, virtually no one would vacation that way if they had to pay cash and virtually no one plans to use DVC that way when they do their initial due diligence. :teeth:

I agree.

Many who buy DVC end up spending more than they planned when they did their initial $$ analysis.

For example, they start staying in larger accommodations, go more often, invite family and friends (and provide the lodging for those trips) and / or stay in resorts that cost more points per night than their home resort.

Although all of those uses have value, virtually no one would vacation that way if they had to pay cash and virtually no one plans to use DVC that way when they do their initial due diligence. :teeth:

Some take extra vacations because they have points to burn, it's the travel, food, and ticket cost that will add up fast. I did a quick study using our BCV points and over the course of 30 years, a DVC ownership and Disney vacations can cost over $200,000 dollars.

:earsboy: Bill

Some take extra vacations because they have points to burn, it's the travel, food, and ticket cost that will add up fast. I did a quick study using our BCV points and over the course of 30 years, a DVC ownership and Disney vacations can cost over $200,000 dollars.

:earsboy: Bill

And then there is the psychology of "the room is paid for" - with no big hotel bill at the end of the trip, dues paid months ago, or invisible as a relatively small monthly expense and frequent Disney trips - some members add on experiences they wouldn't dream of if they were facing a large hotel bill. Fireworks cruises, V&As, La Nouba, tours. Or they spend the money they would have spent on a hotel bill on signature dining or souvenirs.

DVC can be a great value add for some people, and I'm sure some people do save money on it, but it also is a great way for Disney to vacuum more money out of a Disney fan's pocket.

DVC can be a great value add for some people, and I'm sure some people do save money on it, but it also is a great way for Disney to vacuum more money out of a Disney fan's pocket.
Crisi, shame on you! They're not vacuuming more money, they're providing unique, special owner experiences!

Pre-DVC we went 2 or 3 times a year for 3/4N for a total of 15 nights annually. With discounts we spent around $3600 for the hotel or $240 per night. Figure we'll be healthy enough to use our points for 20 years so dividing our membership purchase by 20 and adding the $1800 annual dues we around $3500 per year. Now we go 3 or 4 times a year for 6/7N per stay which cuts our per night stay to $175. Seems to me we saving ... on the room.

I've looked into DVC but decided against it because:
1. In a hotel room, my kids have actual Ned's. At DVC, they get a pull out couch, which DD13 loathes or we have to get a 2 bedroom, which is a ton of points.
2. I do NOT want to cook on vacation. We look at the kitchen as a negative.
3. I do NOT want to do laundry either. It's just like being home if I have to cook and do laundry.
4. While we have done many many Disney trips over the years, we also want to visit other places with our kids and Dismey, while we love it, may not always make sense.

But, mostly, it's the cooking and laundry. LOL.

There are tangible benefits to buying resale. That much is true.
DVC, however, has intangible benefits, which are not everyone's cup of tea, but do provide value to some.
1> Discount on food (10-20%)
2> Annual Pass Discount (I think about a $100)
3> Deeded holding of a real estate that "may" yield some positive value on resale.
4> Tax break on the Annual dues
5> Fixed cost (in points) of your vacation. This does "not" take the 3% average annual dues increase, so the math may be a little off there.
6> Since you stay at a Disney on site resort, extra magic hours.
7> a DVC car Magnet :tongue:

Someone can save money with DVC, depending on their travel habits. For me it wasn't for the cost, it bought to upgrade how I vacation to Disney. I'm going to Disneyland in November and there is no way I would have paid cash for the Grand Californian. I would have gone to a $80 motel on harbour blv (like I did in the past). I'm spending more just in annual dues, not even considering the initial buy in, however I'll get to stay in the flagship resort (and have the onsite befenits as well).
At WDW I've only stayed in Value hotel or offsite before DVC, now I can go to a different deluxe resort every time.

I'm spending more, but I'm happier. And at the end of the day it's what matters.

We bought DVC to stay in near resort 2 bedrooms.

We are really enjoying it now 5 has become 3 and we can go a lot longer in 1 bedrooms.

For us it was the space, the laundry facilities and the kitchen. We don't cook per say but we do use it for snacks, breakfasts, frozen pizza, hot dogs etc when we get fed up eating out.

Someone can save money with DVC, depending on their travel habits. For me it wasn't for the cost, it bought to upgrade how I vacation to Disney. I'm going to Disneyland in November and there is no way I would have paid cash for the Grand Californian. I would have gone to a $80 motel on harbour blv (like I did in the past). I'm spending more just in annual dues, not even considering the initial buy in, however I'll get to stay in the flagship resort (and have the onsite befenits as well).
At WDW I've only stayed in Value hotel or offsite before DVC, now I can go to a different deluxe resort every time.

I'm spending more, but I'm happier. And at the end of the day it's what matters.

This kind of sums up Us as well. We like the values. They are fine. My problem is they could be 75 one part of the year and over 200 another. That's not even including the taxes on top you pay for cash rooms.

If I could get a great deal every time I never would have bought. But I can't. Especially around any holiday.

Dvc allows us to stay at our favorite hotel. (Animal kingdom) with the chance at our second favorite (wilderness lodge). We have also enjoyed BLT.

I still keep my eye out for cheap value deals and cheap offsite deals for spur of the moment weekend trips. I don't feel the need to stay in dvc rooms every time. But on our longer trip every year (5 to 7 days) I know we are taken care of in one of our favorites.

Valid points on both sides. I have seen many people say DVC is a poor investment, and if you look at it strictly from a financial side it may or may not be (not looking to debate that). In some regards like a car that you maybe buy every 5 years, is a 15,000 30,000 or 60,000 purchase any better than the other (assuming you can afford it). Its a matter of what suits your needs.

For us we have had DVC since 1999. We did it because we enjoyed going to Disney, the Deluxe hotels were above our budget, and we wanted to be able to stay on property and have more than a hotel room. To have kids be able to go to sleep and you don't have to be whispering in the dark, or sitting outside the room in a hallway was our focus. It enabled us to bring extended family and Grandparents which has been priceless. With kids grown we now use studios and visit more frequently and enjoy the adult side of Disney with Restaurants and Lounges. We are actually looking at a 2nd contract so when we move to grandkids being in the picture we are able to go as an extended family for holidays. There are definitely less expensive ways to vacation but we would not be able to do so on property.

One more thing. If you get free dining or reduced rates or tickets included in your deals, you won't get any of those with DVC. Bargain hunting and DVC don't usually go together.

This has been our biggest reason for putting of our DVC purchase for the last 5 years. Every single trip, 10+ in that time, has either had free dining tied to it, a hefty room discount, or some other type of bounce back offer. My wife and I keep saying that when the discounts and deals stop, we'll buy DVC. Our other problem is the number of points we would need. We average 12-14 day trips. That's a LOT of points for anything other than a standard room. (non 1 or 2 bedroom etc.).

I WANT DVC to make sense for us, but at this point, it just doesn't. Our average trip runs 3-4K including food, with free dining, and that's staying at either a moderate or deluxe. (Usually WL or AK if deluxe).

This has been our biggest reason for putting of our DVC purchase for the last 5 years. Every single trip, 10+ in that time, has either had free dining tied to it, a hefty room discount, or some other type of bounce back offer. My wife and I keep saying that when the discounts and deals stop, we'll buy DVC. Our other problem is the number of points we would need. We average 12-14 day trips. That's a LOT of points for anything other than a standard room. (non 1 or 2 bedroom etc.).

I WANT DVC to make sense for us, but at this point, it just doesn't. Our average trip runs 3-4K including food, with free dining, and that's staying at either a moderate or deluxe. (Usually WL or AK if deluxe).

Honestly, you probably won't make DVC work for you financially. You can take advantage of discounts (a lot of members who make it work do so by using rack rates or close to it in calculations - we always need to travel when school is out - so we don't get much in the way of discounts for example, nor do we go to Disney with enough frequency to take advantage of bounce backs). You are happy in moderates. And you are already thinking of DVC in terms of room upgrades - ie.e a 1 or 2 bedroom. You may join a set of members who think that although they end up spending more on DVC, they get good value for that money (that includes me), but if you are looking for it to save you money - it isn't likely to work for you ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter