Concierge tipping

Don't you think tho they would make that known???

Especially if they agreed not to take a salary and work for tips??

And how did you nominate using the DCL tip forms?

They should know, but like we have little guidelines clearly they do not either.

I was sitting in the concierge lounge last night post dinner, deliberately as I did want to " survey/ overhear" last night, yes to report back here.

Until then I thought I tipped well then I was shocked by the amounts going around.

The above was a direct quote, from someone there, Julia took it, not sure if that's why Julia got more, other cruisers also nominated concierge hosts, maybe as they had that concierge for a cabana as well, ie Kemisha and Julia were supporting the cabanas all day.

The nomination was by word of mouth not form, but I am sure you could annotate it if you wish.

And I'm wondering if you can tip individually, might that not pit one against the other in "trying" to provide service?? "Tip me"" NO--tip me!--No tip me!!!

And I'm wondering if you can tip individually, might that not pit one against the other in "trying" to provide service?? "Tip me"" NO--tip me!--No tip me!!!

True, they do work as a team, as said there are options, you if you do not nominate it will go to a pooled tip, I am sure as a team they do not do what you say, and pit one against another.

However tipping is individual the service maybe individual, I know (( hasen to add NOT on names quoted)) That the concierge hosts themselves know if they are paired with a less average or let's say lazy one. On one of my cruises there were changes in the team and it was clear they didn't respect the new hosts contribution.

So if you go one an get host A each time, and host A gets you what you want and host A supports you in a Cabana, then Host B Is not really bothered about a request you have, wouldn't you nominate who it would go to, as in time if the lazy host B doesn't get a good tip, they will move on.

I would prefer to tip just those who actually did something for me--but as I said,no one ever told me I COULD do that--much less HOW to do it.

And I had 2 of the 3 concierge hosts you mentioned!!

I would prefer to tip just those who actually did something for me--but as I said,no one ever told me I COULD do that--much less HOW to do it.

And I had 2 of the 3 concierge hosts you mentioned!!

I think they will do what you want, I do however prefer the classics where One side of the ship us one host and the other side the other, then it's clear cut, however we have I understand Julia and Angelina this summer, both very good.

Was this a 3 or 4 night cruise? As many of us all try and balance what tip level others do, what did you tip the concierge team, bartender and food server in the lounge? Just helps to see what others tip.

So just to follow up- ours was a 4 night cruise on the Dream in a Cat V stateroom. We tipped the bartender and server in the lounge $25.00 each. We flat tipped the concierge $150.00. Not sure if that was right or wrong. They were very nice to us, but given our category of stateroom and what they did for us, we felt that was the right amount. You have to go by your budget, what they do for you, and I think, your room category. Our stateroom host did a really nice job and we tipped her extra. Unfortunately, without guidelines, you do need to use your best judgement.

So just to follow up- ours was a 4 night cruise on the Dream in a Cat V stateroom. We tipped the bartender and server in the lounge $25.00 each. We flat tipped the concierge $150.00. Not sure if that was right or wrong. They were very nice to us, but given our category of stateroom and what they did for us, we felt that was the right amount. You have to go by your budget, what they do for you, and I think, your room category. Our stateroom host did a really nice job and we tipped her extra. Unfortunately, without guidelines, you do need to use your best judgement.

Curious--did anyone tell you you could individually tip the Concierge hosts??

On our 3 night concierge cruise we tipped a flat $100 for the Concierge Hosts and just tipped the bartender well throughout the cruise. He was also our Castaway Cabana drink runner and tipped extra there as well.

As far as nominations go we certainly did see two of our three hosts MUCH more than the third. We assumed it all went into a pool as on the form it is listed just as Concierge Hosts.

On our 3 night concierge cruise we tipped a flat $100 for the Concierge Hosts and just tipped the bartender well throughout the cruise. He was also our Castaway Cabana drink runner and tipped extra there as well.

As far as nominations go we certainly did see two of our three hosts MUCH more than the third. We assumed it all went into a pool as on the form it is listed just as Concierge Hosts.
Yes, we did tip extra to the bartender on Castaway day at the cabanas, can't remember the amount, but we only had one round of drinks from her on that day.

it is possible that while you can nominate who you want your money to go to, once this is done they just pool the funds anyways. how would you know? if this is the system they have set up, that tips are pooled and split, it could work out in everyones favour. you just can't know for sure.

They were very nice to us, but given our category of stateroom and what they did for us, we felt that was the right amount.

Terrific way of deciding. That's all it comes down to.

Curious--did anyone tell you you could individually tip the Concierge hosts??

No one tells you anything about tipping. You get the form and that's it.

You could always bring cash and hand it to each person. You could go to Guest Services and individually add tips for the people you want there.

it is possible that while you can nominate who you want your money to go to, once this is done they just pool the funds anyways. how would you know? if this is the system they have set up, that tips are pooled and split, it could work out in everyones favour. you just can't know for sure.

Totally possible. And if so that's the job and the compensation they signed up for, so what happens after we hand it over really isn't our business. If that's what happens, they KNOW that's what happens.

it is possible that while you can nominate who you want your money to go to, once this is done they just pool the funds anyways. how would you know? if this is the system they have set up, that tips are pooled and split, it could work out in everyone's favour. you just can't know for sure.

True, but then a DCL employee has directly 'lied' to a person giving instructions on a total $1000 tip so their not acting with any integrity in that scenario.

In this scenario how do we know our tips for Stateroom host, and server and assistant server go to the 'named' person. Are they all lying? Get Mulder and Scully in.

Last edited:
True, but then a DCL employee has directly 'lied' to a person giving instructions on a total $1000 tip so their not acting with any integrity in that scenario.
lol, unheard of! i certainly have never been told anything different than anyone else, even when it comes to tips.
not making fun of you, making fun of the fact that they often say one thing to one person, something else to another.

lol, unheard of! i certainly have never been told anything different than anyone else, even when it comes to tips.
not making fun of you, making fun of the fact that they often say one thing to one person, something else to another.

We are in a discussion, no one is being disrespectful to anyone else, everyone has their view, I know what I have seen and what I heard, if no one believes me I do not worry, but it happened ( more than once) its true, its a personal experience, and no host said I cannot do that, it was " your very generous sir' . So an officer is lying to a person giving a tip, in your scenario.

Someone on these boards once posted that a good formula to use for tipping concierge hosts was $5 per child per day and $7 per adult per day. That seems pretty much in line with what people have been suggesting so far on this post I think. I have another question though, I understand that you can charge concierge tips to your account. Is the same true for the bartender tip? Or do we need to bring cash for him/her? Never been a big fan of handing people cash tips.

Someone on these boards once posted that a good formula to use for tipping concierge hosts was $5 per child per day and $7 per adult per day. That seems pretty much in line with what people have been suggesting so far on this post I think. I have another question though, I understand that you can charge concierge tips to your account. Is the same true for the bartender tip? Or do we need to bring cash for him/her? Never been a big fan of handing people cash tips.
Yes thats in line with my posts.

We work to 4 x $5 =$20 pd x 12 nights, =£240 base tip, we adjusted that for personal services.

Never heard of the nomination process. We were told point blank (by one of the hosts you mention) that tips are pooled and no mention was ever made about a nomination process using the tip forms Disney provides.

We are in a discussion, no one is being disrespectful to anyone else, everyone has their view, I know what I have seen and what I heard, if no one believes me I do not worry, but it happened ( more than once) its true, its a personal experience, and no host said I cannot do that, it was " your very generous sir' . So an officer is lying to a person giving a tip, in your scenario.

again, not making fun of you so lets get that straight. do i believe an officer would lie? lol, yes. if only to make things easier on everyone. uncleromulus was told that tips are pooled so were they lied to? it does happen you know. i doubt anyone can say for sure one way or the other how things run. you can still do what you want and maybe they do get the portion someone designates to them…..or maybe not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter