Concierge/Club Level Information- Part IV, July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason we like CL is not particularly for the amount of food you are going to get in the lounge. It is the convenience of getting refreshments in between park hopping during the day--without waiting in line to purchase something--just like when our kids come home from school and want a quick snack to refuel. Also we love access to Sunrise Safari at AKL and service at CL has been excellent during our trip and or year of planning before we arrive. We love it.

Sorry guys - don't mean to stir the pot here.
Realistically, the cost difference between non -cl and cl is $1600. About $100 a night for 8 nights for 2 rooms. So maybe what I am really looking for is am I going to get my money's worth? DH drinks beer. We drink coffee, very little pop, no wine, no cordials, no exoticy type foods and no seafood. Mainly I would like to use it for breakfast in the morning so I don't have to deal with spilled milk everywhere in the hotel rooms, water bottles for the parks, and some cookies mid-afternoon. DH likes the way "club level" sounds. After reading this thread and looking at the pics of offerings I am seriously doubting we are going to see a lot of benefit to it. Also, we are not doing the dining plan but will buy mugs and have TIW card.

Just wanted to share with you the way our family will use CL (based on how we've used it in the past).
1) We'll eat every breakfast there. DH is not a breakfast eater, and the rest of us are cereal people, so this is perfect for us. It's a huge benefit as we don't need to waste time/money with eating breakfast at a restaurant (where my kids don't enjoy the hot breakfast foods anyway.)
2) Snacks/drinks throughout the day - we won't use this perk much as we'll be in the parks for most of the day, and generally eat our big sit down meal in the early afternoon.
3) Evening appetizers - we're there for seven nights and will most likely enjoy the appetizers 5 of those nights (have two dinner ADRs around 5pm, so won't be there for apps those nights). Honestly, these appetizers are more than enough for a meal for me. I will eat a small plate of veggies and fruit, and then 1-2 of each type of appetizer and some cheese and crackers. I like to try everything, so this will definitely fill me up after having a large lunch. DH and my 12 year old are pickier so will just eat veggies, fruit and maybe a pb&j sandwich. Oldest DS will also try everything and youngest is a mix. Since we're a family of 5, we will definitely be eating more than just a couple would (or a family with just one child), but I think each person taking 1-2 "pieces" of everything is fair and reasonable. My boys will probably need more food in the evening, and will likely split one or two counter service meals each night.
4) desserts/cordials/alchoholic beverages - I'm not sure how much of these we'll enjoy. DH will maybe have a beer or two each day, and I'll probably enjoy a couple of glasses of wine over the course of the week. Desserts will totally depend on where we are those nights. But again, maybe 2-3 "pieces" of dessert each when we're there (i.e., two choc chip cookies for DS12).

As some others posted, the last two times we stayed CL the folks in the lounge were strongly encouraging us to take more food. And this wasn't at the end of the evening - we were generally there on the early side (between 5:30 and 6pm).

My personal opinion is that if we weren't going to use the lounge for the food offerings, the extra expense would not be worth it for us. Just my 2 cents! :)

"Perhaps Disney would do well to insert a letter into the welcome packet outlining proper CL etiquette."

I've often wondered why they don't. :confused3 We've stayed CL at a few Hyatts, and they do, going so far as to outline proper attire in the lounge. It's just good practice to make people aware of all the policies & procedures in an environment like that. Helps to manage expectations. In the case of water (which seems to be a big question for CL guests, without a really clear answer), they could have the letter say something like, "For your convenience, Cast Members can provide you with two plastic bottles of water (per person, per day) to take to the parks." or whatever.

I'll also note Hyatt CLs make you show a room key & sign in when entering the lounge, thereby answering the "can I take guests to the lounge with me" question, as well.

That said, except for the grown man in his pajamas in the lounge :rolleyes2, we haven't really experienced much egregious behavior.

[I've often wondered why they don't. :confused3 We've stayed CL at a few Hyatts, and they do, going so far as to outline proper attire in the lounge. It's just good practice to make people aware of all the policies & procedures in an environment like that. Helps to manage expectations. In the case of water (which seems to be a big question for CL guests, without a really clear answer), they could have the letter say something like, "For your convenience, Cast Members can provide you with two plastic bottles of water (per person, per day) to take to the parks." or whatever.

I'll also note Hyatt CLs make you show a room key & sign in when entering the lounge, thereby answering the "can I take guests to the lounge with me" question, as well.

That said, except for the grown man in his pajamas in the lounge :rolleyes2, we haven't really experienced much egregious behavior.

Info cards would be rather helpful. Also kind of luxurious, like an invitation.

I'd glad WDW doesn't make me sign in though. The way we use CL, if our room is very close, we sometimes kind of come and go from the lounge. Like if we forgot a jacket. Signing-in makes it sound like they don't trust their guests.

When we're not traveling to WDW, my resort of choice is usually Hampton Inn, or similar. Again, I don't watch other folks very much, but I don't really recall big problems there. It's not like folks are coming in off the streets to steal Cheerios. I dunno, maybe they do? It seems to me Hampton Inn's would be far more vulnerable than CL's. Yet Hilton keeps building more.

I don't think most folks who visit WDW have a clue about CL. Most folks at WDW look at me like I have two heads when I use the access key in the elevator. We've even had un-know-it-alls try to 'correct' us. I just don't think WDW has a big problem with CL invaders. (Hee! Hee! :laughing: Even many PAYING guests are afraid to ask for an extra glass of water!) (Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can't say I've seen many men in pj's in the lounge, but I've seen LOTS of kids and young ladies in sweats-type pj's.

Then again, it has been pointed out to me that a fair number of little girls wear what are actually princess nightgowns to character meals. Lots of times kids are in pj's in the lounge. Doesn't seem that big a deal to me. As long as nothing inappropriate is showing.

And, er....I've seen plenty of inappropriate parts peeking out in the parks over the years. Why just the other day at my local pool....Phew!:scared1:

"Perhaps Disney would do well to insert a letter into the welcome packet outlining proper CL etiquette."

That would be helpful, or on the website when you look at the club level. We didn't/don't know what to expect as we happened to decide on it after some discount deals and quick reviews on this board. If not for this board, we'd have skipped it for sure.

(Hee! Hee! :laughing: Even many PAYING guests are afraid to ask for an extra glass of water!)

That's what I mean. I don't want to be rude or act like I am entitled to the world, but I would like to know what is ok to ask for and/or expect, if anything.

I do know that the CL staff gives you a welcome letter that does state "proper attire and footwear are requested of all Guests". "Please refrain from entering the Lounge wearing robes, bathing suits, and wet clothes."

This was given to us at check in last year at the BC.

As for food, I don't think they want to tell guests how many cookies or egg rolls they can have. I would never tell a guest they can only have a small portion when they are in my home. That wouldn't be very welcoming. So I guess that's the way Disney looks at it too.

JMHO

I

A big part of why I love CL is just what you say- it makes mornings easy. Everything is laid out. Maybe some kids overindulge, but the kids in our family are often the opposite. they need a little time to think about what they want. In a food court, mom or dad has to make multiple trips. Every trip =s standing in line. CL is safe enough that the kids can walk over and get a few things themselves if they need it. Not running wild, but you can let down your guard just a tiny bit, since CL is a secure area. On DDP, you always have to think about what items are included and what is not. It usually falls on me to explain to my parents for the umpteenth time that coffee is included with their breakfast. It can be great for what it is, but it's also a chore. Breakfast in the lounge is much faster: closer to your room, and no lines.[/QUOTE]

Totally, totally agree with you! On our last trip I was managing the DDP for my family of 4, plus my parents and I thought my head was going to explode with all of the questions. The mental exhaustion from trying to maximize the DDP (cost-wise) and keeping track of everyone's credits made me realize that whatever cost savings we saw was not worth it one bit.

Totally, totally agree with you! On our last trip I was managing the DDP for my family of 4, plus my parents and I thought my head was going to explode with all of the questions. The mental exhaustion from trying to maximize the DDP (cost-wise) and keeping track of everyone's credits made me realize that whatever cost savings we saw was not worth it one bit.

Funny thing is, the first time we used DDP, we had the opposite reaction. I loved that we could pick anything off the menu! I loved that I didn't have to calculate the tip. Also, in the beginning, there was less incentive to max the credits. Even if we didn't use all of them, we still came out ahead, so I didn't worry about it.

I think Disney is trying to phase out DDP.

Sorry guys - don't mean to stir the pot here.
Realistically, the cost difference between non -cl and cl is $1600. About $100 a night for 8 nights for 2 rooms. So maybe what I am really looking for is am I going to get my money's worth? DH drinks beer. We drink coffee, very little pop, no wine, no cordials, no exoticy type foods and no seafood. Mainly I would like to use it for breakfast in the morning so I don't have to deal with spilled milk everywhere in the hotel rooms, water bottles for the parks, and some cookies mid-afternoon. DH likes the way "club level" sounds. After reading this thread and looking at the pics of offerings I am seriously doubting we are going to see a lot of benefit to it. Also, we are not doing the dining plan but will buy mugs and have TIW card.

Staying CL for the food offerings alone usually isn't worth the extra cost (at least not for my family). When we stay CL, we stay more for the lounge and having some place else to go and relax instead of in our room or other parts of the resort. The food offerings are a nice perk, but for us, the lounge and extra pampering is what we stay CL for ;).

Thanks for this thread, we are spending our first CL experience trip in less than a month to the BC (also first trip to that resort). We don't want to be rude, but don't want to miss out on stuff what we are eligible for either. We don't eat much, so no clearing trays, but sounds like asking for an afternoon beer or chocolate milk before bed is not out of the question, nor is going to each "feeding" time, if we're in the area. If this is not true, what are we paying the extra money for. ADR help?

Any time we have stayed CL, we were always told that if there was anything we wanted that we didn't see out, to just ask. The CMs we have encountered during any of our CL stays have been very accommodating. There is nothing wrong with asking for something you want if it isn't out :).

Just to throw another perspective into the "is it worth it?" discussion....

Last night, DH and I were discussing our plans for our August 2014 trip. We have decided on a resort (Poly) and then it came down to CL or no CL?

I gave DH the price difference (about $1000 more over 10 night stay). He said "I like it, so it's worth it, and I want it.".

And there it is....:lmao:

For those noting the excesses, it can go the other way too. Let's say everyone decided to control themselves and there were suddenly leftovers at every offering. What would logically happen? Well, after this occurred for some time the decision would be made to reduce the offerings to match demand.

I think grabbing a whole plate of appetizers is an extreme example. I'm well aware some can be inconsiderate and rude, but there's little to be done about that. So for those that were asking because they don't want to appear greedy I say you have nothing at all to worry about. The fact you don't want to appear greedy is clearly a sign you won't be.

Just go, enjoy club level and remember that if you do end up with the entire appetizer buffet at your table then you really should consider scaling back. The same goes for those bringing sacks to hold all the sodas they are bringing back to their room.

For those noting the excesses, it can go the other way too. Let's say everyone decided to control themselves and there were suddenly leftovers at every offering. What would logically happen? Well, after this occurred for some time the decision would be made to reduce the offerings to match demand.

I think grabbing a whole plate of appetizers is an extreme example. I'm well aware some can be inconsiderate and rude, but there's little to be done about that. So for those that were asking because they don't want to appear greedy I say you have nothing at all to worry about. The fact you don't want to appear greedy is clearly a sign you won't be.

Just go, enjoy club level and remember that if you do end up with the entire appetizer buffet at your table then you really should consider scaling back. The same goes for those bringing sacks to hold all the sodas they are bringing back to their room.

:thumbsup2

Just to add one more tiny tidbit to the is it wroth it idea...

First there are some great posts on the subject further back.
Second, the costs of club level vs. non club varies quite a bit by season, discounts. Also, unlike DDP say, it's a fixed cost. It doesn't matter if you have one person or frour people- so no matter the sseason, it's going to be a better value if you have four pple per room

A big part of why I love CL is just what you say- it makes mornings easy. Everything is laid out. Maybe some kids overindulge, but the kids in our family are often the opposite. they need a little time to think about what they want. In a food court, mom or dad has to make multiple trips. Every trip =s standing in line. CL is safe enough that the kids can walk over and get a few things themselves if they need it. Not running wild, but you can let down your guard just a tiny bit, since CL is a secure area. On DDP, you always have to think about what items are included and what is not. It usually falls on me to explain to my parents for the umpteenth time that coffee is included with their breakfast. It can be great for what it is, but it's also a chore. Breakfast in the lounge is much faster: closer to your room, and no lines.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with both of you! I have never done the DDP, but never intend to because I would be responsible for coordinating points, etc. That said, I always try to get a RO discount.

My favorite thing about CL is sending my husband down for breakfast with our kids while I take my (extremely RARE) long, enjoyable shower without anyone barging in asking for anything!

We definitely like to enjoy club offerings also. We definitely would never take a tray of appetizers, but we do like to stop in late in the day, have a beer or wine and a couple of appetizers to tide us over until dinner reservations. When we stayed at the Contemporary, we always planned to be back at the club for desserts for the kids, beverages for Mom and Dad, and fireworks for all! We have always found the staff at the clubs extremely friendly and helpful, particularly at the Contemporary last year. :)

I have a "is it ok" question. In the CL, during the evening treats, say all I want is a cheese snack, which is location in the middle of the counter. Would it be impolite to just go straight to the cheese grab it & go, or would I have to get in line behind all the people who want a bit of everything? Would you consider the line a strict line, like a ride line, or would you consider it a buffet line, where you just grab what you like from which ever section & get out of the way? I'm just curious.

I completely agree with both of you! I have never done the DDP, but never intend to because I would be responsible for coordinating points, etc. That said, I always try to get a RO discount.

My favorite thing about CL is sending my husband down for breakfast with our kids while I take my (extremely RARE) long, enjoyable shower without anyone barging in asking for anything!

We definitely like to enjoy club offerings also. We definitely would never take a tray of appetizers, but we do like to stop in late in the day, have a beer or wine and a couple of appetizers to tide us over until dinner reservations. When we stayed at the Contemporary, we always planned to be back at the club for desserts for the kids, beverages for Mom and Dad, and fireworks for all! We have always found the staff at the clubs extremely friendly and helpful, particularly at the Contemporary last year. :)

That sounds wonderful to me!:cool1::cool1:

I have a "is it ok" question. In the CL, during the evening treats, say all I want is a cheese snack, which is location in the middle of the counter. Would it be impolite to just go straight to the cheese grab it & go, or would I have to get in line behind all the people who want a bit of everything? Would you consider the line a strict line, like a ride line, or would you consider it a buffet line, where you just grab what you like from which ever section & get out of the way? I'm just curious.

Honestly, the CL's I have stayed at (WL and YC) both have 2 entrances to the food area. Some people start on one side, some start on the other. I didn't see a particular "right" way. When my kids went straight for the cheese, no one looked twice. You'll be fine. :goodvibes

In my experience, people are usually all over the place with no kind of line. We've stayed WL CL, GF SL, and GF RPC and I've never really seen anyone follow a line. With that said, you should be ok to go to what you want and get it :).

Which CL is the biggest/best value you think? It is only $1000 more so we are thinking of staying WL CL for my bday next year :)

I havent stayed on property since 2007. My in-laws have a wyndham timeshare @ Bonnetcreek so we normally stay there & my hubby doesn't know what its like to stay on property.....It would be the 1st week of Dec next year 2014....

Which CL is the biggest/best value you think? It is only $1000 more so we are thinking of staying WL CL for my bday next year :)

I havent stayed on property since 2007. My in-laws have a wyndham timeshare @ Bonnetcreek so we normally stay there & my hubby doesn't know what its like to stay on property.....It would be the 1st week of Dec next year 2014....

We absolutely LOVED WL CL!!!! :cloud9:

The only other one we have stayed at was YC CL, but WL absolutely blows it away. Great CM's, great food offerings, great setting. Absolute perfection! :wizard:

WL CL is great :thumbsup2. The lounge is nice and spacious as the seating is arranged around the railing which overlooks the lobby. The food offerings are great, as are the CMs. We've stayed GF RPC and GF SL in addition to WL CL, and although my favorite is GF RPC, WL CL comes in at a very close second :goodvibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter