Concierge/Club Level Information- Part IV, July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're resort hopping and will not have a car this trip but would love to have bottled water with us. Any suggestions on where to order since that likely will be the only thing we need? I forgot GG has a min order.

Scott MC: Well put explanation of concierge level. Our 6 yr old definitely needs gentle reminders that enough is enough ;) I think some folks have legitimate questions/concerns and they are pure, not looking to overindulge. What we've noticed is that club level in WDW is different than Club level elsewhere and I think that's where the confusion lies. For example, we stayed club level at a hotel in Montreal recently and what they offered at night was more variety and quantity than what I would expect for an entire meal. And there were very few people on club level at that particular time. So, we ended eating a "meal's worth."

Thanks for the replies! I don't want to be "that family" so that is why I am here asking ahead of time.
Just for the sake of discussion - what are reasonable requests and limits with regards to drinks and appetizers? Especially with drinks, and with the reports I have read of no refrigerators, what is a reasonable number per person per day? I will definitely be ordering food and drinks to have delivered. I will need to have at length discussions with my 2 teenage boys as they are human vacuums. But to be honest, that was exactly what I was hoping to avoid by staying CL. Now I am curious if it will be worth it money wise or if I should switch to non-CL.

Thanks for the replies! I don't want to be "that family" so that is why I am here asking ahead of time.
Just for the sake of discussion - what are reasonable requests and limits with regards to drinks and appetizers? Especially with drinks, and with the reports I have read of no refrigerators, what is a reasonable number per person per day? I will definitely be ordering food and drinks to have delivered. I will need to have at length discussions with my 2 teenage boys as they are human vacuums. But to be honest, that was exactly what I was hoping to avoid by staying CL. Now I am curious if it will be worth it money wise or if I should switch to non-CL.

There is a small fridge with bottled drinks in the CL lounge. You just have to use your judgement. RU on a meal plan? Those snack credits are good for drinks. With "human vacuums" a dining plan would probably be good for you. Good luck!

We're resort hopping and will not have a car this trip but would love to have bottled water with us. Any suggestions on where to order since that likely will be the only thing we need? I forgot GG has a min order.

We walked to the Hess station in front of the boardwalk inn and bought a case of water. I don't remember how much it cost but I don't remember thinking it was expensive. We never have a car either.

I have to keep an eye on my boys too, usually I just remind them as we go down there that we have dinner reservations later and not to fill up on too many snacks. They usually listen to me, and most times they are too picky to really eat much of the lounge food anyway. They don't eat salads or vegetables or fruits :lmao: but if they have eggrolls one night they will eat those.

If I ever saw someone pick up a whole tray of food and walk away with it....:sad2::faint:

Seriously though, what makes anyone think that is ok?

That's the sad part though. It's becoming the norm to rely on CL to feed the family, when that's not what it's meant for.

Sorry, but I think you are wildly misreading my post.

My post was a response to a poster asking for water each day, not hogging the entire CL buffet! She specifically mentioned children - as in folks too young to drink the far more $ beer that's offered. Kids who prefer water over unhealthy canned soda.

If she is paying for six people to be on club level, her kids can refill their glasses with WATER from the cooler as much as they want.

Further, she should not feel at all guilty asking for under $2 worth of bottled water per day.* Period.
*(24bottles/$5 per case= $.20 per bottle retail, =$2 retail for 12bottles. WDW does not pay retail!)

Though this is completely irrelevant....What do you think happens to all the left overs?

It gets thrown out.

Many times staff has BEGGED my family to take more food when we are in the lounge near the end of a serving period (mostly 4pm/10pm). The staff thanked us because we were willing to put a few leftover cookies in our room and eat them the next day.

So I'm sorry, but I think you are slightly misguided.

Again, not that it matters, but my family doesn't come close to eating what I'd consider to be our 'fair share' of CL lounge food. For starters, when we stay CL, the majority of my extended family is young kids and light eaters. They passed on, among others: raw sushi, duck dumplings, lobster salad, blue cheese, salmon puree, spicy foods, olive/artichoke heart salad, etc. They aren't interested in Bud Light, South African wine, or Coffee liquor. Even the chicken skewers and Italian meatballs were too spicy for the kids!

I don't think supplying us with WATER is hurting Disney's bottom line too much.

Finally, if you read my two posts, you actually see that I mention several ways to obtain bottled water, because I always buy some. Over many trips to WDW, I've tried: Costco delivery, Walmart, CVS, Walgreen's, Staples delivery, Publix, Whole Foods, Hess, other gas stations, buying from WDW, asking for ice water, (always) refilling our bottles, and more. I do this because my most recent stay was the only time- 40+ WDW trips that we were able to get bottled water by asking the CL staff.

I agree for the cost of CL while its not meant to be three meals a day it is meant to cut your costs of soda, water, alcohol, snacks and breakfast! Otherwise your paying a ridiculous amount to have someone help you book dining ADRs put packages in your room and candy in your pillow!

At the Poly in 2010 and 2011 they only had big glass Evian water bottles but would give me one when I asked for the room to take medication.

They also would hand us several choc milks when we asked for 1 or encourage to eat more if the appetizers or grab more than one soda. Even had one bring me a glass if sangria before afternoon appys were ready b/c they knew how much I loved it!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

We walked to the Hess station in front of the boardwalk inn and bought a case of water. I don't remember how much it cost but I don't remember thinking it was expensive. We never have a car either.

Awesome! Thank you! Now, I have to pray that we have a working refrigerator in the room during our stay!

My post was a response to a poster asking for water each day, not hogging the entire CL buffet! She specifically mentioned children - as in folks too young to drink the far more $ beer that's offered. Kids who prefer water over unhealthy canned soda.

If she is paying for six people to be on club level, her kids can refill their glasses with WATER from the cooler as much as they want.

Further, she should not feel at all guilty asking for under $2 worth of bottled water per day.* Period.
*(24bottles/$5 per case= $.20 per bottle retail, =$2 retail for 12bottles. WDW does not pay retail!)

Though this is completely irrelevant....What do you think happens to all the left overs?

It gets thrown out.

Many times staff has BEGGED my family to take more food when we are in the lounge near the end of a serving period (mostly 4pm/10pm). The staff thanked us because we were willing to put a few leftover cookies in our room and eat them the next day.

Again, not that it matters, but my family doesn't come close to eating what I'd consider to be our 'fair share' of CL lounge food. For starters, when we stay CL, the majority of my extended family is young kids and light eaters. They passed on, among others: raw sushi, duck dumplings, lobster salad, blue cheese, salmon puree, spicy foods, olive/artichoke heart salad, etc. They aren't interested in Bud Light, South African wine, or Coffee liquor. Even the chicken skewers and Italian meatballs were too spicy for the kids!

Finally, if you read my two posts, you actually see that I mention several ways to obtain bottled water, because I always buy some. Over many trips to WDW, I've tried: Costco delivery, Walmart, CVS, Walgreen's, Staples delivery, Publix, Whole Foods, Hess, other gas stations, buying from WDW, asking for ice water, (always) refilling our bottles, and more. I do this because my most recent stay was the only time- 40+ WDW trips that we were able to get bottled water by asking the CL staff.

They seriously do that, it's true! ::yes:: The CL CM's have given my boys entire trays of cookies without them even asking. They are always nice and encouraging us to eat and drink whatever we want. In May at the YC CL dear Shakira was handing my DH a beer every time he walked down the hallway and saying "are you sure you don't want two??" :lmao: They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. :thumbsup2 However I have seen people abuse the lounge, it does happen and it is pretty gross. :worried: I don't mind if someone fills up their plate, but I have seen people load coolers before like they are preparing for a picnic. That really bugs me!

Scott MC: Well put explanation of concierge level. Our 6 yr old definitely needs gentle reminders that enough is enough ;) I think some folks have legitimate questions/concerns and they are pure, not looking to overindulge. What we've noticed is that club level in WDW is different than Club level elsewhere and I think that's where the confusion lies. For example, we stayed club level at a hotel in Montreal recently and what they offered at night was more variety and quantity than what I would expect for an entire meal. And there were very few people on club level at that particular time. So, we ended eating a "meal's worth."

'Tis true, and though having threads like these is nice, there's really no set rules, so there will always be people who take advantage, people under indulge, and people who hit it just right. Ya know, a little Goldilocks-syndrome for ya. Perhaps Disney would do well to insert a letter into the welcome packet outlining proper CL etiquette.

As I said, I wasn't in any way targeting you, and I'm glad you came to the thread to ask. Just like anywhere, you're going to get a plethora of opinions. The CL staffs at WDW have all been beyond gracious to us, and that's their job. My understanding is that CL jobs at WDW are very hard to come by, and the staff is highly trained, so yes, if you ask for many things, they're going to accommodate you if they humanly can, but that doesn't make it right. I think a general rule of thumb is continental breakfast, and snacks and supplements throughout the day. For the evening appetizers/wine, DP and I treat it as if it were passed hot appetizers at a wedding. You have a few...sample what you want, have a glass of wine or 2 and then be on your way. Now there's no official rule book, and that's just me, but an opinion was asked and I gave it. Perhaps you could email IPO and ask them their opinion? Please report the results back to us so I may put them on the main page of this thread. I hope you make the decision to stay CL, but either way, I wish you a magical trip!

It gets thrown out.

There is no need to be on the defensive, I read your post(s) accurately and responded to them according to my opinion, which is what this board is full of...opinions. None of us are running WDW, there are a few CMs who post, but this is a place to share magical moments, ups and downs and ask for opinions/information. I wasn't in any way attacking you, or anyone else. A question was asked, and I gave an opinion based on my CL stays, during which I saw people abuse the system again and again. I never once hinted that you our your family abused the system. Of course a family should be able to get cups and refill them with water. Of course a family should be allowed to sample beverages throughout the day, including bottled water, but I wanted to make it clear to the OP that there is not a bottomless supply of bottled water available every time a family of 5 comes and goes, though no doubt, many families probably take the equivalent of a case of water, or more, on each trip. And I'm sorry, but that's not the purpose of CL as far as I know. It doesn't matter if one family drinks a lot of wine but doesn't eat any cookies, or a family with one parent and 4 children don't drink any alcohol...that doesn't give them free reign on other CL offerings. Also, I'm sure, as in any restaurant there is food each day that is thrown away, and based on my experiences, it's the sweets. I've rarely seen a 5-7P.M. appetizer period where the plates weren't 99.9% empty before 7.
Again, I'm not trying to attack anyone here, but I did read your post very thoroughly before I posted, and was just trying to answer the question the OP asked honestly. CL is very expensive, and there are some lucky people who can afford it all the time, and I wish them magical vacations with their loved ones. There are many though, for whom CL is a reach, and it will get further out of reach if CL guests expect too much of the edible/drinkable resources.

I think people also think the supply of food is limitless in the lounge. The truth of the matter is, the cast submits a form to order food for the week based on the number of guests they have for that week. Sometimes, they are able to get more, but most times that is just not an option. The cast members that work in the lounge do not decide how much to order, this is done through a stupid computer program, figuring how many pot stickers or chicken skewers per guests.

There are also times when the cast has to put out leftover cookies from the afternoon to replenish the desserts in the evenings. Disney has cut corners at most of the club level lounges in the past 5 years and it really is sad!! I will stay club level, especially when we take our entire family, for the convenience of it.

For heaven's sake, I can only recall one time, I've witnessed folks wildly overindulging. Mostly, I'm focused on my own family, and having fun- not policing other folks, but truly, most folks we've met in CL were perfectly reasonable eaters.

That one time, a large family group that more or less spent their entire vacation - minus trips to the pool - hanging in the Poly lounge eating/drinking/playing games. Their kids were falling asleep on the benches, and still they drank/played cards. (To make matters worse, it was pretty obvious when some of them DID leave, that part of their group was NOT even staying in the CL building.)

I've seen far more eating abuse' taking place at the buffets. Where folks take- and leave uneaten- huge piles of food.

If you are unsure, take a quick glance around. Take as much as the average person you see.The reality of a trip to WDW, is that you simply can't be everywhere at once. You have to go to the lounge to eat there. My guess is if ever there is a family that's eating a full dinner one night- it's only because they missed appetizers and desserts entirely the other six night of their weeklong stay. My assumption is that the family that is eating in the lounge ALSO paid for park tickets. If not eating in the lounge - then they would be 'taking opportunity from another family' riding attractions or 'hogging' body space along the parade route instead.

Further, the reality of lounge food, is that most of it is kind of self-limiting. It's mostly foods like: kettle style potato chips, bacon scallops, blue cheese, white crackers, gummy fish, celery sticks, and fried dumplings. If I attempted to fill up on those foods, I'd be terribly ill. I most certainly would not feel up for a spin on RNRC!

Every time we eat at 'Ohana's the staff brings out huge platters of food that we can't possibly eat. (we ask for half platters, to no avail) Every time we eat there, I see FAR more food tossed than I have even seen served in a week of CL. That one establishment alone is responsible for hundreds of pounds of wasted food each week! Table after table has piles of excess food.

Again I say, ALL the food that goes uneaten on CL gets THROWN AWAY.

So visit the lounge at the end of a shift: 10am, 4pm, 7pm, and 10pm. (I think those are all the hours) And smile because that food is not being wasted.

I'm not saying it's okay to hoard the lobster salad, or take six packs of beer to bring home. But truly, if you are paying all that $ for CL, you are allowed to eat some of the food that's offered.

If I ever saw someone pick up a whole tray of food and walk away with it....:sad2::faint:

Seriously though, what makes anyone think that is ok?

That is crazy!!!:dance3:

They seriously do that, it's true! ::yes:: The CL CM's have given my boys entire trays of cookies without them even asking. They are always nice and encouraging us to eat and drink whatever we want. In May at the YC CL dear Shakira was handing my DH a beer every time he walked down the hallway and saying "are you sure you don't want two??" :lmao: They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. :thumbsup2 However I have seen people abuse the lounge, it does happen and it is pretty gross. :worried: I don't mind if someone fills up their plate, but I have seen people load coolers before like they are preparing for a picnic. That really bugs me!

I will need to make sure my DH doesn't get wind of Shakira at YC CL or he will move over to that one instead of BC....:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Sorry guys - don't mean to stir the pot here.
Realistically, the cost difference between non -cl and cl is $1600. About $100 a night for 8 nights for 2 rooms. So maybe what I am really looking for is am I going to get my money's worth? DH drinks beer. We drink coffee, very little pop, no wine, no cordials, no exoticy type foods and no seafood. Mainly I would like to use it for breakfast in the morning so I don't have to deal with spilled milk everywhere in the hotel rooms, water bottles for the parks, and some cookies mid-afternoon. DH likes the way "club level" sounds. After reading this thread and looking at the pics of offerings I am seriously doubting we are going to see a lot of benefit to it. Also, we are not doing the dining plan but will buy mugs and have TIW card.

Realistically, the cost difference between non -cl and cl is $1600. About $100 a night for 8 nights for 2 rooms. So maybe what I am really looking for is am I going to get my money's worth? DH drinks beer. We drink coffee, very little pop, no wine, no cordials, no exoticy type foods and no seafood. Mainly I would like to use it for breakfast in the morning so I don't have to deal with spilled milk everywhere in the hotel rooms, water bottles for the parks, and some cookies mid-afternoon. DH likes the way "club level" sounds. After reading this thread and looking at the pics of offerings I am seriously doubting we are going to see a lot of benefit to it. Also, we are not doing the dining plan but will buy mugs and have TIW card.

We're staying at CL poly for the first time this fall. I convinced my husband because of 1)free beer (he'll probably drink 2 a night for 8 nights) 2)water & snacks for the park 3) a snack for when we return from the park after the kids go to bed and 4)to see the fireworks from the lounge... Probably not really worth the extra $1000 but I think it's more of a convenience. :)

Thanks for this thread, we are spending our first CL experience trip in less than a month to the BC (also first trip to that resort). We don't want to be rude, but don't want to miss out on stuff what we are eligible for either. We don't eat much, so no clearing trays, but sounds like asking for an afternoon beer or chocolate milk before bed is not out of the question, nor is going to each "feeding" time, if we're in the area. If this is not true, what are we paying the extra money for. ADR help?

I wonder for how many of the ones that overdo it, how many families underdo it? How many don't want to be an annoyance or burden to even ask for a glass of water in the room. As it is, we went to visit and see the rooms and they pushed "anything to drink?" like 5 times before we said ok, simple glass of something and they came out with drinks and cookies! We really didn't want to take any more of their time than we already had, but they really got us anxious for our trip time to get here. But also wonder if we are too timid in (politely) asking for stuff we should not be. I've not heard from them much, but they replied when I emailed them and what else should I hear from them about? I wouldn't think there would be much to contact us for, is there?

I love this thread. I think it's really helpful. Maybe I'm just a little defensive today because I've long felt that Disney should do better when it comes to giving guests water. I mean, as far as costs to WDW go, tap water is basically free.

Club level is amazing! it's not for everyone, but I think it's one of WDW's best kept secrets. In short, CL is a break from lines!

A big part of why I love CL is just what you say- it makes mornings easy. Everything is laid out. Maybe some kids overindulge, but the kids in our family are often the opposite. they need a little time to think about what they want. In a food court, mom or dad has to make multiple trips. Every trip =s standing in line. CL is safe enough that the kids can walk over and get a few things themselves if they need it. Not running wild, but you can let down your guard just a tiny bit, since CL is a secure area. On DDP, you always have to think about what items are included and what is not. It usually falls on me to explain to my parents for the umpteenth time that coffee is included with their breakfast. It can be great for what it is, but it's also a chore. Breakfast in the lounge is much faster: closer to your room, and no lines.

Another amazing thing about CL, especially with a group, is that the lounge is extra space. If someone wants to nap, everyone else can go to the lounge.

Another plus is coffee in a real coffee cup, with real milk. Refillable mugs are crude. There's only a rinsing station in the food courts; all week in the summer heat, and those things never see a dishwasher! Also, I HATE fake creamer. I would almost stay CL for the latte machine alone! :) One push of a button, and voila!

Again, thinking of CL with kids....We used to go all day at WDW. CL encourages you to stop by mid day. We still don't do it every day, but it's very relaxing to come back and find a simple tray of cookies laying out beside a pitcher of ice water, lemonade, and chips. (Also cold beer) Best of all, there's no line.

Speaking from experience, CL plus DDP is food overload for us. Last time we did it w had tons of credits left over, we mostly skipped desserts- at meals and in the lounge. If you would normally get your adult beverages in a WDW bar, or Table serve- then simply getting them from the lounge instead- goes a good ways to paying the cost of CL. But a grocery store is clearly less $.

Wow $100 per day for two rooms- that's a good deal!

The other thing that makes CL such a treat- and this is hard to describe- but the extra level of service. Granted your requests have to be within reason- but checking in is a breeze, and the CM's are almost always very well informed. Generally, most CM's at WDW are great. And some of the best I've ever had were at one of the value resorts- but at most of WDW, if you need help of any kind, you have to stand in a line. CL is a tiny break from that tedium.
Upon arrival - if all goes well - you are escorted to a private desk. Instead of standing in a line, you sit in a comfy chair. that tiny detail can make a big difference. I don't usually need much from the staff, but if you need to know the fastest way to get somewhere- they know it. If you need a taxi, they have the number handy.

The downside of CL, is that you have to be in the lounge to access it. I just don't see - given all WDW has to offer - that most folks are spending their entire vacation gorging themselves in the lounge. I dunno, I don't give it all that much thought when I'm there. WDW is a place to have fun.

Honestly, I love CL, but I <know> that it's not "worth it" when you actually look at the cost....and I'm speaking for my family. It doesn't sound like you would get a whole lot out of it, but maybe with such a large party, the breakfast alone would be worth it. You have to crunch the numbers. I would never buy the mugs when staying CL....just no need for it, IMHO.

I am debating whether to do CL on our next stay but I am leaning toward not doing it, as sad as that makes me....but I am trying to be more frugal on our next trip. ::yes::

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter