College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying to the DCP either this Spring 2016 semester or Spring 2017. My question is in regards to character performers. Is it difficult to be a character performer for the DCP? Any audition tips? Thanks!
My dd's good friend did the CP starting in January '15. She worked in the pin store in DTD. Towards the end of her stay, she decided to stay on and see if she could do character work. She got in, but had to extend. Evidently, that's the best way to do it. Very few CP kids get to do character work immediately. Dd's friend got to hang out with Chip, Dale, Ferb, and a few others.

Theater and Dance majors have a better chance due to their developed skill set at auditions.

Theater and Dance majors have a better chance due to their developed skill set at auditions.
And people say a degree in theatre isn't useful!!!! But, it's true. My dd's friend is a dancer as well as a performer....but not her major. But she is comfortable performing in front of people and understands the audition process. So, fingers crossed that dd's theatre degree will help her out when she finally gets to WDW.

My son is a new DCP. If we are there visiting the parks and have fast passes, how can he get the same fast passes with us or can he?
CPs can book FP 7 days out with their main gate pass. My DD just goes into MDE and either copies ours or just books one for herself at the same time. Sometimes we have had to switch our times so we could all be together.

I took the phone interview last night, got the "Thank You for Interviewing" email, and was told I'd get a response likely in October. But today my Dashboard is telling me I'm No Longer in Consideration, with the date being when I took the web based interview 10 days ago. I'm really confused, since the date is wrong, I got no indication from the interview that I was gonna get rejected straight away, and I've received no communication saying I've been denied other then that. I don't really get it.

I took the phone interview last night, got the "Thank You for Interviewing" email, and was told I'd get a response likely in October. But today my Dashboard is telling me I'm No Longer in Consideration, with the date being when I took the web based interview 10 days ago. I'm really confused, since the date is wrong, I got no indication from the interview that I was gonna get rejected straight away, and I've received no communication saying I've been denied other then that. I don't really get it.

Sorry, I think it is accurate. This happened to me when I applied for fall 2015 -- I felt the interview went great, but a couple of hours later I got the NLIC on my dashboard. It took about 24 hours after my interview for the official email to come in.

I wouldn't take it personally, and keep trying for future semesters if you are able to. I also had an in-person interview and was hired as a regular CM not long after that so I'm not sure what criteria they have for the phone interviews.

Sorry, I think it is accurate. This happened to me when I applied for fall 2015 -- I felt the interview went great, but a couple of hours later I got the NLIC on my dashboard. It took about 24 hours after my interview for the official email to come in.

I wouldn't take it personally, and keep trying for future semesters if you are able to. I also had an in-person interview and was hired as a regular CM not long after that so I'm not sure what criteria they have for the phone interviews.

Did yours also say the date of rejection as when you took your phone interview? Mine says 10 days ago. It's also been 24 hours now and I don't have anything.

Did yours also say the date of rejection as when you took your phone interview? Mine says 10 days ago. It's also been 24 hours now and I don't have anything.

I don't remember since this was back in February. But if you don't hear from them soon I'd recommend calling and getting a status update.

My son was recently accepted to the DCP for Spring 2016, just a week or so after his phone interview. He was accepted to the role of park entry. But, he was also planning on attending the character performer auditions in early October.
Does anyone know if accepting his Park Entry role will preclude him from being considered as a character performer? Or, can he still audition and if accepted, then decline the other role?
He tried to call the DCP but couldn't reach a live person to discuss.
Thanks.

My son was recently accepted to the DCP for Spring 2016, just a week or so after his phone interview. He was accepted to the role of park entry. But, he was also planning on attending the character performer auditions in early October.
Does anyone know if accepting his Park Entry role will preclude him from being considered as a character performer? Or, can he still audition and if accepted, then decline the other role?
He tried to call the DCP but couldn't reach a live person to discuss.
Thanks.

It will not preclude him from being a performer. He needs to accept the current role offered, and then if he is cast in a performance role, Disney will switch him. This comes from the FAQ comment section below the audition information. My daughter is doing the same thing - we are still waiting for her offer ... phone interview was a little over a week ago and she's still "pending" - but very excited! Congrats to your son.

And people say a degree in theatre isn't useful!!!! But, it's true. My dd's friend is a dancer as well as a performer....but not her major. But she is comfortable performing in front of people and understands the audition process. So, fingers crossed that dd's theatre degree will help her out when she finally gets to WDW.

I'm hijacking for a moment! ;-) ..... Very true! A theatre degree is more useful than most people think! :goodvibes The ability to think on your feet, engage with many people at one time or individually, use eye contact, speak clearly, carry yourself with poise, etc.... These are all very useful skill sets in the "real world"!:tinker:

My main concern about applying is the phone call portion. Can anybody tell me what sort of questions they asked, or how they went about calling you? I just want to be prepared if I make it that far in the application process and jot down a few notes to talk about during the call. Also - I often hear that you are asked about your past work experience. This may sound dumb, but does volunteer work count as work experience? I imagine it does, but I just want to play it safe. Thank you, and thank you creator of this thread! It is very useful and I've found myself lurking in here a lot!
:mickeyjum

Last edited:
I have two DD' s who have been accepted and yes, the phone interview is scary to think about! However, both girls were quickly put at ease by their recruiters and enjoyed their interviews! Your volunteer experience is great- it shows your community awareness, responsibility, ability to work with a team, etc. Continue to read blogs and watch vlogs in preparation but make sure you are answering questions in your way, not someone else's! Your excitement and determination will shine through! Good luck!

Thanks for the answer, dizagain! Very helpful and appreciated, anything that will calm my mind just a little is the best sort of help :teeth:

Another question for this thread: for those who have done/ are doing/ know someone who has done DCP, did you/they talk to an advisor at their school before they applied, or after they applied and have already been accepted? I am applying in February for the Fall 2016 semester and don't know if I should start talking with advisors now, or wait until I have applied and see if I am accepted or not before I start talking to my school. Thanks again!

It sounds simple, but these are my main tips for the phone interview.
1) Be yourself!! Talk authentically.
2) Remember your interviewer's name, and thank them by name at the end.
3) Smile! They can't see you, but they can hear it in your voice.

Thanks for the answer, dizagain! Very helpful and appreciated, anything that will calm my mind just a little is the best sort of help :teeth:

Another question for this thread: for those who have done/ are doing/ know someone who has done DCP, did you/they talk to an advisor at their school before they applied, or after they applied and have already been accepted? I am applying in February for the Fall 2016 semester and don't know if I should start talking with advisors now, or wait until I have applied and see if I am accepted or not before I start talking to my school. Thanks again!

I did the program the semester after I graduated and didn't need to speak to an advisor, but I would as soon as possible. You won't have a lot of time to make a decision once you are accepted.

I'm hijacking for a moment! ;-) ..... Very true! A theatre degree is more useful than most people think! :goodvibes The ability to think on your feet, engage with many people at one time or individually, use eye contact, speak clearly, carry yourself with poise, etc.... These are all very useful skill sets in the "real world"!:tinker:
So true!! She is currently studying abroad, and I have to say that due to her being a theatre major, she has grown a lot!! She is taking more responsibility. She is much more self-confident, that's for sure!!!
Fingers crossed she will get to use those skills in the DCP next fall!!! We did check directly with Disney CP recruiting...she is able to apple after she graduates...as long as it's within six months!!! So, she'll get two shots at it!!!

Thanks hannahinwonderland :earsboy:

Another question: I've been watching videos/vlogs galore of people doing the DCP, and I've watched many about the application/interview process. NOBODY ever talks about the web-based interview! What happens there??

Thanks hannahinwonderland :earsboy:

Another question: I've been watching videos/vlogs galore of people doing the DCP, and I've watched many about the application/interview process. NOBODY ever talks about the web-based interview! What happens there??

It's an online personality assessment type thing, similar to something you would take for a job at any other big corporation. My best advice for that is to pick strong & consistent answers. I've taken it twice and passed it both times, some people do seem to have trouble with it but in general, I think that if you pick what you think they "want to hear" it's usually the correct answer.

It's an online personality assessment type thing, similar to something you would take for a job at any other big corporation. My best advice for that is to pick strong & consistent answers. I've taken it twice and passed it both times, some people do seem to have trouble with it but in general, I think that if you pick what you think they "want to hear" it's usually the correct answer.
Thanks again, your tips are super helpful! So is this like a multiple choice type of test, or do they allow you to write your own answers or a little bit of both?

Thanks again, your tips are super helpful! So is this like a multiple choice type of test, or do they allow you to write your own answers or a little bit of both?

I don't remember exact items, but it's structured on a continuum from something like "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree". So it will be something like "I always show up to work on time" and then you'll choose an option.

Typically, you want to go with the answers that make you seem honest and dependable. A trick that these test writers use (I am in psych grad school and know a lot about assessment) is that they will ask questions multiple times in order to gauge your "true" answer and your consistency. So just remain consistent. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!