(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying at BWV in Jan. Anyone been there recently? Are there any ground floor rooms that are in sight of a DSA?

Thanks for any info

Sue

It sounds like the placement of resort DSAs is horrible - a trek for the smoking guest and an annoyance for the non-smoking guest! What about those guests who are with their children? What is one to do when grandma (who is a smoker) is babysitting the children one night so that we can go out for dinner - what happens when she wants to go have a smoke, but the children are asleep? She's not going to get out of the line of sight of the room, so what is she to do? Yes, of course she could just not have a smoke, but she's on vacation too - why should she have the choice taken away kwim?

What are the DSAs like at the Toy Story building in ASMo? That's where we're all staying next year.

Whoever planned the placement of the DSAs was obviously NOT a smoker, going by the previous posts in this thread!

Just curious, is therre now no smoking in there also? I have always wanted to go in but the smoke factor kept me away.

Just back from a week at the GF. The smoking areas were maintained regularly, but there were a lot of smokers using them and the ash trays got pretty full. The DSA outside of Sago Key has 2 benches and 2 ashtrays under the trees, but the area gets wet during rainfall. The DSA outside of Conch Key has one bench and one ashtray and has no cover. The same is true for the DSA outside of Big Pine Key. The DSA by the Summerhouse is a large area with tables under umbrellas. The DSA outside of the main building by the Grand Floridian Cafe has a few large tables under the porch roof and is protected by the roof, but if you're staying in one of the lodge buildings it really isn't convenient. There is another DSA at the hotel entrance in the area where the valet parks guests' cars.

Nothing was said to us about the smoking policy at check-in, even though our reservation said "guaranteed smoking" (we made the reservation over a year ago). We weren't asked to sign any statement about the smoking policy and we didn't see any warnings about it. At the entrance to our building there's a sign that said "designated non-smoking floor", but that was the only posted indication we saw that smoking was prohibited. Another guest we talked to said he made his reservations about 2 weeks prior to coming and he had requested a smoking room, yet he said nothing was said to him about the smoking policy. DH said he talked to some other smokers using a DSA who were really angry about the new policy so he warned them about the fine. They were shocked because they hadn't heard anything about any penalties from any other source.

I didn't notice anyone smoking outside of the designated smoking areas at the resort. In the parks I only saw it 3 times and on 2 occasions the people had moved to isolated areas so that they weren't offending others.

krbq- Welcome Back, I hope you had a great time.:banana:
Thanks for the info on the GF DSA. I was waiting for your report. :)

We will be arriving at GF this Wed morning 10/31/07. It does sound like the DSA are not going to be that convienent, but hey I will on vacation and just have to live with it. Did you notice if there were any DSA near the bus stops or the one thats outside on the 3 floor in the main building?

What was your impression of the GF. This will be our first stay there. Any building suggestions. We have a GV booked, but I was going to see if I can pay to be upgraded to a MK view or lagoon View on arrival. When I booked I could only book GV because of Disney Reward Card Code.
What building were you in?? Did you find the resort easy to get around?

Thanks Again,

Wall

krbq- Welcome Back, I hope you had a great time.:banana:
Thanks for the info on the GF DSA. I was waiting for your report. :)

We will be arriving at GF this Wed morning 10/31/07. It does sound like the DSA are not going to be that convienent, but hey I will on vacation and just have to live with it. Did you notice if there were any DSA near the bus stops or the one thats outside on the 3 floor in the main building?

What was your impression of the GF. This will be our first stay there. Any building suggestions. We have a GV booked, but I was going to see if I can pay to be upgraded to a MK view or lagoon View on arrival. When I booked I could only book GV because of Disney Reward Card Code.
What building were you in?? Did you find the resort easy to get around?

Thanks Again,

Wall

We stayed at Sago Key and the DSA there was pretty convenient. Big Pine Key looked to be close to the DSA at the Summerhouse, which was much larger and had some cover. The 3rd floor DSA in the main building is only accessible to the guests in the Royal Palm Club. There's a DSA close to the bus stop out front -- not right at the bus stop, but only a matter of yards away so it's close enough that you can wait there and not miss the bus.

The MK view is definitely worth the upgrade if the view is important to you and you'll be in your room by 8:45 pm (to watch the fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant). There's nothing at all wrong with the other views, though. It's a beautiful resort. It also seemed to be fully booked when we were there, so I don't know if you'll be able to get an upgrade, but it can't hurt to try. The GF is very easy to get around. If you're staying at Sago Key there's a shortcut to the bus stop that's not really well advertised -- just walk down the path between Gasparilla Grill and Sago Key and you'll find the walkway to the bus stop. It will save a lot of walking.

Have a wonderful trip and take some time to enjoy the breathtaking lobby and grounds of the GF!

PICT0213.jpg

This is the DSA nearest the bus stop. It was taken at the end of the walkway that leads to the bus stop -- in other words, the bus stop was behind me when I took the photo (maybe 10 yards or so). The DSA is the 2 benches at the left of the photo and the trash can has an ashtray on top.

As soon as I clicked "submit", I realized I should have posted that the above photo was at the entrance of the GF. Sorry!

PICT0173.jpg

This is the DSA at the Summerhouse at the GF. It is between Big Pine Key and the beach. There were quite a few tables with umbrellas.

PICT0174.jpg

Here's the DSA between Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. It's the single bench and ashtray sitting in front of the cart. Not much of a view at that location.

PICT0171.jpg

The DSA outside of the main building (just outside of the Grand Floridian Cafe). All of these tables were in the smoking area and were under cover.

PICT0036.jpg

This is the DSA in front of Sago Key at the GF. The photo only shows one bench & ashtray facing the marina, but there's another bench and ashtray further down. It was a pleasant place and offered a bit of shelter in light rain, but in a steady rain the trees were no protection from the elements.

There was one other DSA at the GF I didn't have a chance to photograph. It was on the other side of the marina, outside of Conch Key. It was a single bench which faced the MK.

As I posted previously, the DSA's at the GF were regularly cleaned by the CM's but the ashtrays filled up quickly because so many people were using them.

Thanks for the DSA pics. I think it will be much easier for people to recognize them once they see the pics. I only wish WL had more DSA :sad1: .

PICT0157.jpg

Drm, I'm glad you mentioned the WL. I couldn't remember why I took this photo and the one I'm going to post next. They're pictures of the DSA behind the pool bar at the Wilderness Lodge. It was actually a pretty nice location. The geyser was visible from it as well as the beach. There was shelter under the umbrellas and plenty of seating. Only downside was that it was so far removed from the most of the hotel, except for the rooms on the end of the south wing. It would be quite a walk in rainy or chilly weather.

PICT0158.jpg

Another view of the DSA behind the pool bar at WL. This one is looking more directly toward the beach.

Can anyone give some info on the DSA's at Port Orleans Riverside ?

I wish Disney would reconsider the anti-smoking policy and allow some rooms to be smoking.

How are they really going to stop someone from going out on the balconies or finding an isolated spot to have a smoke as long as they don't make it obvious ?

I've been told you can't even smoke in the parking lots, that's going too far.

We stayed at POR in Sept. I never had a problem finding a DSA but the ones I did see were not covered. We stayed at the Acadian House there was a DSA right in the front of the building which was good that is was close, but again not covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter