(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I have been MIA. We returned home from WDW on Monday night and I'm still doing laundry!

Well, we absolutely LOVED Wilderness Lodge!!!! So much so that I think it will be difficult for us to ever go back to Disney and stay somewhere else. I honestly do not have any complaints.

We booked a Woods View Bunk Bed room for the 4 of us (DH, myself, DD16, DS3). We arrived on Saturday (11/3) just before 11am for our 8 night stay. We had completed online check-in. There was only 1 person ahead of us in line. Check-in was pretty quick and painless. We were pixie-dusted! Not only did they have a room ready for us, but they upgraded us to a Courtyard View Bunk Bed room! We had a beautiful view of the pool and lake. We were on the 6th floor, room 6049. It had a regular balcony and was just to the side of the Bear Face on the same side as Roaring Forks. We loved our room! We did bring a lot of stuff and had a stroller so once we had everything in there I could see how some feel the room is small but honestly before our stuff was in there I was actually pleasantly surprised with the size of the room. We kept the stroller open right under the Mickey hooks on the wall. Once we unpacked we put our luggage back in our van to save space in the room and I had two pop up hampers in the bottom of our closet for dirty clothes.

The room was clean. The beds were comfortable. My daughter was on the top bunk. She is 16 years old and about 5'3-5'4. She was perfectly fine and slept well, but I would say anybody over 5'5 would be too big for the bunks. I called mousekeeping for extra hangers and bed rails. They brought them up right away. My 3 year old slept well on the bottom bunk with the bed rails on.

I loved the tub/shower! The curved rod does really make it feel roomy. The shower head was better than mine at home! I just loved the tiles with Chip, Dale, Bambi, and Meeko! There were plenty of towels throughout our stay. Double sinks outside of the shower/toilet room came in very handy. I brought 2 baskets and a toothbrush holder to keep all of our toiletries in order which helped. 1 basket fit on the lower shelves on each side of the vanity. The provided hair dryer worked just fine.

We brought out own Keurig personal brewer from home which worked well. We plugged it in and kept it right above the fridge. We filled it with bottled water. The fridge was great and kept everything cold. We stuffed the 2 drawers above the fridge with snacks so that area was like our mini kitchenette.

My son loved riding the elevators and they were really quick! We never waited for one and almost always had the elevator to ourselves. That brings me to the WL transportation. I was slightly skeptical but we had our own vehicle in case transportation wasn't up to par. That was not necessary at all. We had terrific luck with the transportation. We never waited more than 10 minutes. We rarely shared with other resorts except for on the way to DHS and AK. We never had to stand as there were always seats available. The boat was a great way to get around too. My son loved riding the boats. It really helped having the boats that go to CR and FW. It made getting over there for ADR's a breeze!

Resort Activities:
We took full advantage of everything WL had to offer! We had a non-park day in the middle of our stay. We rented surreys at my daughter's request (something we used to do at the Jersey shore when she was little). We rode on the trail over to FW and back. It was a nice little 30 minute activity. Then we rented a boat (whaler) from the marina. The marina guys there were helpful and gave instructions to my husband, the driver. We rode all around Bay Lake which was very fun albeit a little chilly that particular day.

My 3.5 year old son attended Cubs' Den one evening. He really enjoyed it. He wasn't begging to go back but he had a good time, met some friends, made a few crafts and had dinner. I had taken him earlier during the day when it was open for craft time so he could check it out and meet the staff. Everyone was very friendly. We could have kept him with us the whole time but having kids so far apart in age sometimes makes things interesting. This was a nice way for us to spend some time with our daughter without worrying about the little one. She really appreciated the brother free time!

I was soooo sad to leave and I really cannot wait to go back. I don't know when we will be able to make a return trip but I'm sure we will all want to stay at WL again when we do. When my husband uploads and edits his pics I will post some here.

Thank you to Kook and all of the lodgers that helped me plan this trip and settle on WL. This thread was beyond helpful!

TinkPirateMom said:
Sorry I have been MIA. We returned home from WDW on Monday night and I'm still doing laundry!

Well, we absolutely LOVED Wilderness Lodge!!!! So much so that I think it will be difficult for us to ever go back to Disney and stay somewhere else. I honestly do not have any complaints.

We booked a Woods View Bunk Bed room for the 4 of us (DH, myself, DD16, DS3). We arrived on Saturday (11/3) just before 11am for our 8 night stay. We had completed online check-in. There was only 1 person ahead of us in line. Check-in was pretty quick and painless. We were pixie-dusted! Not only did they have a room ready for us, but they upgraded us to a Courtyard View Bunk Bed room! We had a beautiful view of the pool and lake. We were on the 6th floor, room 6049. It had a regular balcony and was just to the side of the Bear Face on the same side as Roaring Forks. We loved our room! We did bring a lot of stuff and had a stroller so once we had everything in there I could see how some feel the room is small but honestly before our stuff was in there I was actually pleasantly surprised with the size of the room. We kept the stroller open right under the Mickey hooks on the wall. Once we unpacked we put our luggage back in our van to save space in the room and I had two pop up hampers in the bottom of our closet for dirty clothes.

The room was clean. The beds were comfortable. My daughter was on the top bunk. She is 16 years old and about 5'3-5'4. She was perfectly fine and slept well, but I would say anybody over 5'5 would be too big for the bunks. I called mousekeeping for extra hangers and bed rails. They brought them up right away. My 3 year old slept well on the bottom bunk with the bed rails on.

I loved the tub/shower! The curved rod does really make it feel roomy. The shower head was better than mine at home! I just loved the tiles with Chip, Dale, Bambi, and Meeko! There were plenty of towels throughout our stay. Double sinks outside of the shower/toilet room came in very handy. I brought 2 baskets and a toothbrush holder to keep all of our toiletries in order which helped. 1 basket fit on the lower shelves on each side of the vanity. The provided hair dryer worked just fine.

We brought out own Keurig personal brewer from home which worked well. We plugged it in and kept it right above the fridge. We filled it with bottled water. The fridge was great and kept everything cold. We stuffed the 2 drawers above the fridge with snacks so that area was like our mini kitchenette.

My son loved riding the elevators and they were really quick! We never waited for one and almost always had the elevator to ourselves. That brings me to the WL transportation. I was slightly skeptical but we had our own vehicle in case transportation wasn't up to par. That was not necessary at all. We had terrific luck with the transportation. We never waited more than 10 minutes. We rarely shared with other resorts except for on the way to DHS and AK. We never had to stand as there were always seats available. The boat was a great way to get around too. My son loved riding the boats. It really helped having the boats that go to CR and FW. It made getting over there for ADR's a breeze!

Resort Activities:
We took full advantage of everything WL had to offer! We had a non-park day in the middle of our stay. We rented surreys at my daughter's request (something we used to do at the Jersey shore when she was little). We rode on the trail over to FW and back. It was a nice little 30 minute activity. Then we rented a boat (whaler) from the marina. The marina guys there were helpful and gave instructions to my husband, the driver. We rode all around Bay Lake which was very fun albeit a little chilly that particular day.

My 3.5 year old son attended Cubs' Den one evening. He really enjoyed it. He wasn't begging to go back but he had a good time, met some friends, made a few crafts and had dinner. I had taken him earlier during the day when it was open for craft time so he could check it out and meet the staff. Everyone was very friendly. We could have kept him with us the whole time but having kids so far apart in age sometimes makes things interesting. This was a nice way for us to spend some time with our daughter without worrying about the little one. She really appreciated the brother free time!

I was soooo sad to leave and I really cannot wait to go back. I don't know when we will be able to make a return trip but I'm sure we will all want to stay at WL again when we do. When my husband uploads and edits his pics I will post some here.

Thank you to Kook and all of the lodgers that helped me plan this trip and settle on WL. This thread was beyond helpful!

Alright, your report has made me want to arrive today and not this Saturday!!! We cannot wait any longer!!!!!!! Lol

WDWKook could you add us to your list of who's going....3/13-19 WL CL and AKV split...may be a slight tweaking of dates but we want WL for sure!!!! First time staying at WL!!!! :cool1:

Just booked a woods vw room next August...our first time staying at WL. Have been looking through the great pics and I have a couple of questions. Is there any particular floor or location within woods view that we should request? We normally like staying on a top floor...do we need to here? Also, where on property can a person refill their mugs, any other place besides the quick service restaurant? TIA...we are looking forward to trying something new.

Does the vwl still put up a christmas tree?
Here are 2010 photos of the VWL tree taken by Janet B:

DisneyNov2010WLVLobbyTree.jpg

DisneyNov2010WLVlobbysittingarea2.jpg

Thank you doing our own christmas tree tour today.
How was your tour?

It's taken many Saturday mornings, but I am finally caught up on my favorite thread. (have fallen behind on my emails, but I have my priorities!)
Have been enjoying everyone's reports and photos and also their excitement of going there during the holidays. December 2009 was my first, and only, holiday visit and I cried when I walked into the lobby and saw the tree in person. Like someone else mentioned, I said good morning and good night to it everyday! As far as the weather that week (12/27 through Jan. 2) it was freezing and there was really only one day that anyone went into the pool. (with the exception of the ducks) We bought sweatshirts, gloves, and hats and carried on. I sat on a bench at the Osborne Lights enjoying my hot cocoa and felt like it was all the more Christmassy because of the cold. The first time I encountered the fake snow on Main St. I actually thought it was real for a few seconds. That was unusual for Florida, but it is possible, so the moral of the story is to pack for every possibility and adjust your expectations based on the weather.
Belated thanks to jecskc for those wonderful photos of the villas. The carpet looks a bit worn, and maybe the rooms are not as fresh-looking as the Lodge, but that kitchen and all the space is calling to me!
And, as always, thank you to WDWKOOK for a wonderfully warm place to go that is filled with Disney magic as well as helpful info. You go above and beyond (e.g. your helpfulness on how to add a ticker, no matter how many times it may be asked)
Thanks to everyone for sharing and keep those reports and photos coming!
We've missed you! I'm glad you think of me as the go-to ticker gal:laughing:

How is your back? Is it ready for a trip to WDW? I hope you enjoy your school break for Thanksgiving and Christmas - lots of time to do some planning and perusing;)

We checked out this morning and I already want to go back!
:hug:

Thanks, I had seen that, and someone on the campground board said they don't offer it during the holidays. I guess we'll just have to stroll over to find out for sure.
Hmmm... I wonder if you should post your question to the Resorts forum? I'm sorry, but I don't know about the carriage ride holiday schedule, but maybe someone here doespopcorn::

Sorry the pics were blurry kook :hug: Kate plopped into a comfy chair and I am surprised we got her out of the WL lobby ;) I asked HRH what she thought of WL, and if she wanted to stay there..she said she would stay there if she had to but she loved the Poly, almost equally to GF :rolleyes: I've created a monster...and miss Bree....GF all the way..Kate she really loved WL and CR :upsidedow
A blurry photo of WL is always better than none at all - thank you for taking it for us. Do I see another split stay in the resort booking future of your precious princesses?

I have a bunk-bed woods view room booked. I was thinking of requesting a room over the WCC on a floor with one of those cozy seating areas overlooking the lobby. I like to get out and get my coffee from Roaring Forks early while the rest of the family gets ready. Do you know what floor those sitting areas are on, and are there bunk bed rooms on those floors?
Let's see, this was taken from the 7th floor and it appears the 4th and 5th floors have the seating areas, but you're welcome to use those areas no matter which floor you're staying on:

IMG_0293.jpg

Resort Activities:

What great information! I'll have to post a link to your review on the first page. Thank you so much for posting such an informative review for everyone. Looking forward to your photos, TinkPirateMom.

WDWKook could you add us to your list of who's going....3/13-19 WL CL and AKV split...may be a slight tweaking of dates but we want WL for sure!!!! First time staying at WL!!!! :cool1:
Consider it done and welcome back.

Just booked a woods vw room next August...our first time staying at WL. Have been looking through the great pics and I have a couple of questions. Is there any particular floor or location within woods view that we should request? We normally like staying on a top floor...do we need to here? Also, where on property can a person refill their mugs, any other place besides the quick service restaurant? TIA...we are looking forward to trying something new.
Welcome! The only refill location is Roaring Fork. The highest floor that does not have a solid balcony railing is the 5th. Some of the 6th floor rooms have a solid balcony railing that you have to be standing to see over. The higher Woods View rooms in the North Wing can have a partial view of Wishes. I hope you have a wonderful August vacation:)

I'm eating b'fast now looking over the lobby and there are sitting areas on the 4th and 5th floors.

New Fantayland was in dress rehearsal last nite- new interesting angle for wishes in the middle. They are coming at your front and back.

Here are 2010 photos of the VWL tree taken by Janet B:

DisneyNov2010WLVLobbyTree.jpg

DisneyNov2010WLVlobbysittingarea2.jpg

We saw the WL Christmas tree only once, back in December 2000. We weren't staying @ WL but heard it was a must see & were glad we did. In the last 12 years I've been looking forward to the day when we'd be able to see it again. In 5 days we arrive for a 2 week stay at VWL and will enjoy & appreciate the WL Christmas tree to my hearts content! :santa: pixiedust:

SO EXCITED!!! :cool1:

I'm eating b'fast now looking over the lobby and there are sitting areas on the 4th and 5th floors.

New Fantayland was in dress rehearsal last nite- new interesting angle for wishes in the middle. They are coming at your front and back.
Thanks so much for correcting my error - I wrote 5th and 6th floor and I should have written 4th and 5th - thank you!

Very interesting news about Wishes, those sneaky devils.

We saw the WL Christmas tree only once, back in December 2000. We weren't staying @ WL but heard it was a must see & were glad we did. In the last 12 years I've been looking forward to the day when we'd be able to see it again. In 5 days we arrive for a 2 week stay at VWL and will enjoy & appreciate the WL Christmas tree to my hearts content! :santa: pixiedust:

SO EXCITED!!! :cool1:
WOW - you have waited a long time, twinmom108! I hope your two-week stay goes v e r y s l o w l y::yes::

Just returned from our first stay at Wilderness Lodge and I want to say a huge THANK-YOU for this thread!!

Based on advice received here I requested an upper floor in the north wing (woods view). We got room 6032 and it was AWESOME. With two little ones we were back in the room early most nights and we got to watch the MK fireworks from our balcony every night. It was fantastic!!

My mom was next door in 6034, and it was like someone removed one tree so she had a perfect unobstructed view of the castle. Awesome!!

We also loved being right by the elevator and Roaring Forks... Made coffee and snack runs so easy. And of course the pool was right there too.

We absolutely loved the location and never would have made any request without this thread. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Here are 2010 photos of the VWL tree taken

Let's see, this was taken from the 7th floor and it appears the 4th and 5th floors have the seating areas, but you're welcome to use those areas no matter which floor you're staying on:

IMG_0293.jpg

Thanks so much for the info and pics! I'm so excited! Are there specific room numbers for the woods view bunk bed rooms? :confused3

Just completed my online check-in for our stay 11/28-12/4! Our first at the WL and our first visiting WDW during the Xmas season! Getting excited! :cool1:

A blurry photo of WL is always better than none at all - thank you for taking it for us. Do I see another split stay in the resort booking future of your precious princesses?

;) For August I am thinking of WDW/Beach instead of WDW/US/Beach...we haven't gotten to really have WDW time since 2010...as a family at least!!! WL/GF split would be perfecto :goodvibes

Has anyone stayed recently on the Club Level? I booked it yesterday for our August trip and we are so excited! Lord Willing we will be CL at the WL in 263 days but who's counting...LOL :goodvibes

flea1267 said:
Has anyone stayed recently on the Club Level? I booked it yesterday for our August trip and we are so excited! Lord Willing we will be CL at the WL in 263 days but who's counting...LOL :goodvibes

We just returned for CL 2 weeks ago. We had another great trip. The CM's were so nice. The food selections were great and we loved the different selections. This was our third stay on the CL and we can't wait to go back. Happy Planning

We just returned for CL 2 weeks ago. We had another great trip. The CM's were so nice. The food selections were great and we loved the different selections. This was our third stay on the CL and we can't wait to go back. Happy Planning

Thanks so much for your reply!!! My son is beside himself about this ;) We have been blessed to stay CL at the Boardwalk and the Contemporary (due to a friend's generosity) pixiedust: So I am glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! Do you remember what sorts of selections they had food wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter