(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the wine advice! We are going Mardi Gras week so I'll bring the CM's plenty of mardi gras beads.

So glad we won't have to pack a high chair with 2 adults and 5 kids crammed in our vehicle on our lonnnnng drive!

We will be traveling in for Mardi Gras as well with split resorts Boardwalk to start and Wilderness Lodge to finish.

[/QUOTE]

Great!

Just returned from 8 magical days at WL. It never fails to disappoint and the CL was worth it again as always. The DW and I agree it was probably our best vacation ever. I think mostly because we stayed longer this time and had some days off so everything didn't seem so rushed. It was a more "relaxing" than previous visits.

Plenty of cobbler was enjoyed along with all the other goodies. I'm going to try to do a full writeup in a bit. Still trying to decompress from the long drive home.

Thanks! Newer is always nice.

Thanks for the answer & pic!
You're welcome!

We will be traveling in for Mardi Gras as well with split resorts Boardwalk to start and Wilderness Lodge to finish.

We did the same split last March/April: BWI/CL then a quick drive over to WL/CL:goodvibes

Just returned from 8 magical days at WL. It never fails to disappoint and the CL was worth it again as always. The DW and I agree it was probably our best vacation ever. I think mostly because we stayed longer this time and had some days off so everything didn't seem so rushed. It was a more "relaxing" than previous visits.

Plenty of cobbler was enjoyed along with all the other goodies. I'm going to try to do a full writeup in a bit. Still trying to decompress from the long drive home.
Were they still 'experimenting' with the cranberry cobbler? Can't wait for your TR - make sure to post the link here, please!

Beginning this week, radio-frequency (RF) technology is bringing two significant changes to Walt Disney World:

-- Starting December 11, new payment devices that give you the ability to "touch to pay" using RF-enabled Key to the World cards (or to swipe credit cards) will be available at the following locations: Epcot, Art of Animation Resort, BoardWalk Resort, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort and the Yacht & Beach Resort (except for laundry, valet and arcade locations in resorts). At this time, only guests staying at the aforementioned Walt Disney World Resort hotels can use "touch to pay," which is simply holding your card to the device's touch point to make payment. These devices also allow entry of a PIN (Personal Identification Number) via a PIN pad for "touch to pay" transactions. If you're staying at one of the Walt Disney World Resort hotels listed above, you will have the opportunity to set up a PIN during check-in. You also will have the opportunity to set up a PIN through the Online Check-In Service. A PIN is required for purchases of $50 or more (except for locations with a tip line; a PIN is required for all purchases at these locations). Guests with RF-enabled Key to the World cards will be able to make purchases using this method wherever a new payment device is available.

-- As of December 12, main entrance turnstiles at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom are being converted to allow entry with RF-enabled Key to the World cards. This enhancement will give resort guests the ability to "touch to enter" the park -- that is, a person can simply hold the card to the new turnstile touch point, place a finger on the pad and enter the theme park. The turnstiles will eventually be able to accommodate RF-enabled ticket media as well.

From the latest AllEars newsletter.

Hi!

It's really is so nice when you can stay those extra days and really enjoy it. We did this back in August and like you said it made a difference. :)

We didn't stay long this past trip, but it was a MVMCP only trip. This meant we had one afternoon/evening at WL as well as another morning/early afternoon . It was so nice to enjoy the grounds, attend the pool party, roast marshmallows in the campfire, etc. made me vow to build in a resort day on our upcoming vacation to POFQ.

I'm so disappointed to learn there was a BB offer while I was there. CM at front desk didn't know about it and there was no flyer in the room either.

I'm so disappointed to learn there was a BB offer while I was there. CM at front desk didn't know about it and there was no flyer in the room either.

I was too. There was nothing in the room about it. I received an email the last day of my stay telling me about it. Unfortunately I didn't check my email until after we got home so I missed it. A 35% discount would have been great. Most likely we won't go back next year, but I probably would have booked it anyway just in case.

Hope it's ok to post them here...
This one was taken from beach area:
WL01.jpg

Geyser:
WL02.jpg

Boat dock area:
WL06.jpg

WL03.jpg

WL07.jpg

WL05.jpg

I was too. There was nothing in the room about it. I received an email the last day of my stay telling me about it. Unfortunately I didn't check my email until after we got home so I missed it. A 35% discount would have been great. Most likely we won't go back next year, but I probably would have booked it anyway just in case.

There was nothing in my room either, very disappointing!

Were they still 'experimenting' with the cranberry cobbler? Can't wait for your TR - make sure to post the link here, please!

We weren't there for dessert every night, but I didn't see it. It was mostly berry, apple, and one night berry+apple, but I never saw the cranberry. I would have liked to try that. I must have drank a gallon of the cranberry lemonade they had - it was delicious!

We had a fabulous time at the WL and enjoyed the CL again. We do enjoy the extra perks and think it's worth it. Below is a summary of our trip relating to WL. Even though I list some cons or things that seem negative, they aren't really complaints and didn't take away from the enjoyment, I'm just noting them for informational purposes. This was our best trip, for many reasons so again nothing below is meant as a true "complaint". It was our first trip back in 4 years.

We got room 7043 which is all the way at the end on the north wing which was what we requested. It is a bunk bed room facing the inner courtyard.

Pros:
  • Closest room to the elevator that goes down by Roaring Forks, thus quickest access to the boat dock (and obviously RF)
  • Quiet, since it is on the end
  • No shared balcony
  • Nice view of the waterfall (although like all CL rooms, this is mitigated by the solid wall that you can't see through when you are sitting down). Kids had to climb on chairs to see out

Cons:
  • Farthest room from the lounge. If you are making a lot of trips back and forth to the lounge, it's a good deal of walking (comparitively speaking of course)
  • Farthest room from the main lobby and busses. If you are heading anywhere to the south wing you are the farthest away. If you are taking the boats to the MK, TTC, or Contemporary, the room is the closest. If you are driving your car or taking a bus, the room is the farthest.
  • You are unable to see the last 3 or 4 boats of the Electric Water Parade because of the angle of the room (blocked by trees)

Also, while you can't see the MK fireworks directly from the balcony since you are facing the pool, you are just a few short steps to the end of the hallway by the elevator where you can open the shutters and look out the window to see them just the same as everyone else that is facing the MK. It's just as good in my opinion especially since you can situate yourself perfectly to not be blocked by the trees.

Cast Members - Check in was easy as always and it seemed to be the same crew for the beginning part of the week. The women were much more friendly and knowledgeable than the guys. The guys would give the courtesy hello, but the women also were more likely to try to have a conversation and especially talk to our kids. Gianna in particular was one CM who really stood out. She was fantastic. So was Bonnie. Unfortunately they didn't seem to be there toward the end of the week when it seemed to be a different crew almost every day which made it hard to have a rapport with any of them like we had in the beginning of the trip.

Mercantile - Not their fault but every year we go during December and every year it's the same thing - the WL shirts are always sold out in XL and a lot of the 2012 merchandise is gone and replaced with 2013 stuff. Of course they always give me the shirt id code and give me a phone number to call to try to order it but they said people are constantly asking for the shirts yet they hadn't had them in that size for months. I don't understand why their merchandising dept. hasn't figured out the problem after all these years.

WCC - We did this for dinner on our anniversary. I ordered a custom cake from Brian at the Contemporary (which was AWESOME) to be delivered after dinner. The DW and kids were thoroughly surprised and everyone kept coming over to look at it. I guess they changed the menu since we were last there because now it's just one flat price for a skillet of various meats. It was OK, but we weren't overly impressed. We did enjoy the ketchup thing and everyone singing to us for our anniversary, but for the price we didn't think it was worth it. We wouldn't go back again.

Roaring Forks - We were hoping to get some new WL all you can drink cups, but didn't like the look of the new ones so we passed on that. The food there seemed much better than the last time from what we remember. There was a panini sandwich we had that was really good. One night the chef special was a buffalo chicken flatbread pizza - that was out of this world! Even though we only went there a few times because of all the free food on the CL, I would give it a thumbs up. The selection and food quality seemed much better than in years past.

Lounge food - Pretty much all the breakfast/snack/dinner/dessert stuff was what we remember so it doesn't seem like they changed much over the years. It seemed the cordial selection was a little less than what I remember. The one thing I wish they'd improve is the desserts. It's always a cobbler (berry, apple, or apple+berry), brownies, magick bars, and chocolate chip cookies. I can't believe they can't change that up somehow. The cobbler is great because they are always changing it, but I wish they had a better variety of the other treats. By the end of the week even my two young kids were asking if they had anything else because they were burned out on the cookies (and that is saying something). If only they would serve ice cream with that cobbler... Kook you need to put in a request for that. :)

Mousekeeping - Being at the end of the hall meant our room got cleaned last, which worked out good especially for the days we wanted to sleep in. Every day they left neat little towel animals and the big treat coming home from a day at the park was the kids being excited to see how they arranged all the stuffed animals we had bought. They usually had the TV turned on with everyone snuggled up together on the bed and Mickey holding the remote. Every day was something different so it was just a nice little added surprise every day to look forward to.

Buses and boats ran quick. We didn't really have to wait long for anything. I'm not sure the purpose of sharing a bus going to Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom since no one was going to Blizzard Beach. Maybe it makes more sense in the summer.

We did hit the pool one afternoon and it was nice because it wasn't too crowded. One of the lifeguards told us that our youngest one looked to be struggling a little bit coming off the slide and swimming to the other side. He said he was looking tired and would have to wear a life jacket if he continued to look tired. Mainly this was from him being lazy and not swimming the way he should and not being in the pool for several months. Once we told him he'd have to put one on, he did much better. We appreciated that the life guard was attentive enough to keep an eye on him to remark on that and thanked him. They seemed very attentive at the pool, perhaps because there were so few people there that it was easy to keep an eye on everyone. I can't imagine what it would be like over the summer.

It did seem more crowded at the Lodge than in previous years and when I asked they said there were only 1 or 2 rooms open so I guess that's why discounts seem harder and harder to come by and the secret is out about how great the WL is during the holidays.

IMHO there just isn't a comparison to WL especially during the holidays. Nothing is a close second. It was a magical stay as always mostly thanks to rubbing Humprey's nose at the start of our visit to ensure the magic follows us around. :thumbsup2

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thank you for your report!

What do you mean by "rubbing Humphrey's nose"?

Also, I have dinner plans at the poly and GF, are there still Theme Park buses that share a bus route with WL? I would like to avoid a taxi, if possible.

Thanks.

Thanks for all of the pictures and the comments. We are staying at WL for four nights in late January. It will be our first time there as a family and the first time our kids have been to DW. Our kids are 4 and 6.5. Our original reservation was at POFQ, but two weeks ago I decided to upgrade us. I really struggled with the decision, but felt I would have regretted it if we did not. I've always wanted to stay at the Old Faithful Inn @ Yellowstone. Anyway, I think my kids are going to LOVE WL. My kids don't even know we are going to DW yet...we are surprising them on Christmas morning. The older one has been wanting to go for sometime now.

Thank you for your report!

What do you mean by "rubbing Humphrey's nose"?

Also, I have dinner plans at the poly and GF, are there still Theme Park buses that share a bus route with WL? I would like to avoid a taxi, if possible.

Thanks.

Go to the very first post in this thread and the third picture down you will see a picture of a totem poll in front of the mercantile. If you read right above it, you'll see mention of Humphrey Bear as the bottom character on the totem pole. If you go over to it you can rub his nose and he brings you good luck throughout your trip. I'm sure they repaint it from time to time, but if you look closely when you rub it, you can see the current paint job is worn down from people rubbing it. :)

We also like to rub it when we leave to thank him for all the great times he brought us during our trip. It's kind of like saying goodbye to an old friend.

When we took the bus to Animal Kingdom it stopped at GF but I'm not sure if the other park buses shared it as well. The Epcot trip was on the day they had the media event for the opening of Fantasyland and Test Track so they shut down the monorail to Epcot and were only using buses so that wasn't a "normal" day of the bus schedule. Wish I would have known that beforehand. :(

If you aren't pressed for time you could take the boat over to the Contemporary and take the resort monorail to the Poly and GF. It might take a little while longer, but again if you aren't pressed for time it might be enjoyable.

Arcade: FYI go redeem the arcade voucher for a neat souvenir! We got Wreck it Ralph themed card :)
WL10.jpg

Panoramic Lobby shot:

WL11.jpg

Love LOVE the details on their headboards:
WL09.jpg

Our housekeeper Mimi left a few towel animals but this one just made our day!! We had a good laugh lol definitely didn't expect this.
WL12.jpg

Room View:

WL13.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter