(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed at the WL Villas for the first time this past June, funny considering it has been our home base for 10 years and we never stayed there. Well, we loved it! Made us start to wonder why it took us 10 years to stay there!

So, we are returning this March for 2 nights and then next January :cool1: We did 2 studios in June and that is the plan as of now for next January too. In March, we are in a 2 bedroom villas.

I stayed at the WL Villas for the first time this past June, funny considering it has been our home base for 10 years and we never stayed there. Well, we loved it! Made us start to wonder why it took us 10 years to stay there!

So, we are returning this March for 2 nights and then next January :cool1: We did 2 studios in June and that is the plan as of now for next January too. In March, we are in a 2 bedroom villas.
Congratulations on returning "home." I hope you have a wonderful time at VWL and WDW!

Hi KOOK,
I have a favor to ask....would you change my vacation ticker to show that we have moved (another Resort Changer here! :rotfl2:) to the GF for our next visit? (nothing against the always wonderful WL..just really felt the GF "calling us"! :rotfl:)
Thanks..

Oh wait...do I have to do it myself???

Oh Desnik, that sounds awful.

I can't help but wonder if this room has been out of commission for awhile? That's a lot of problems that seem to indicate they've been untouched for quite awhile. Surely the last 10 room residents or so weren't so easy-going they didn't care about those problems building up?

At least the Housekeeping manager will be able to see what Housekeeper supposedly made it ready for you, and fix his/her oversights on "cleaning" the room.

I do have to mention, though, that the one thing all WDW resorts seem to have in common is that you never ever get the TRUE front desk when you call the "front desk". If you want to talk with them, you have to *go* to the front desk.

Any one of those problems would have sent me to the front desk. So don't apologize for having problems with the room...you waited much longer than I would have done. If no rooms there I would have needed to be moved to another resort. (well, I would have sent DH...he's much nicer in such situations)

Just a quick update. We check out today & move over to AoA. We did go to the front desk to speak with the manager. We had our list of things that were out of order & pictures to back it up. We relayed everything that happened & he was very apologetic & offered us all kinds of things to make us happy. Changing rooms was never an option. They are fully booked. Anyway, the only compensation I wanted was an apology, items fixed & a promise that the appropriate people will be spoken to about the condition of our room. They did give us the points back for the one night we were up until 2:30am with maintenance. They also paid for our dinner on Xmas eve. That was above & beyond what I wanted or expected. When we came back from dinner they had placed in our room 2 pails filled with treats for our kids & a Wilderness Lodge chocolate. Xmas morning the head of housekeeping came to our room & I was able to have a nice long talk with her & even show her some of the issues we had. Again she was very apologetic & a really sweet lady. I felt really good after she left. She really cared & wants her housekeepers to do the right job! She never made excuses for them. She said the room should be clean period! She couldn't believe the dust all over the vent! Anyway I'm glad they seem willing to make sure another guest doesn't have to go through what we did.

Would we stay here again? Probably not until they have a full refurb of the villas which should be another 3 years from now. The Wilderness Lodge does have a lot of good things going for it, especially at Xmas. It is beautiful. But it does need a lot of work in a lot of areas.
Though I'm late in my thanks, thank you for following-up with us and letting us know how your problem was resolved. I love reading ALL resort reviews, the good the bad and the ugly, so thank you for being so honest and thorough with us. I can't recall, but did you post a room number?

Were you in a FS at AoA? Those look so roomy and fun. Even if you're not staying at VWL/WL, we'd love to have you stop by again here for a visit:)

We are booked at POFQ, but if a discount comes out we would more than likely switch to Animal Kingdom or WL. I'm wondering if WL ever offer's 35% off the room rate? (We will be there in Oct). I saw for Jan-Mar the discount for Deluxe resorts is 35% but for WL it's 25%. Is that typical?
Welcome! About a year or so ago, the room-only discounts started differing more resort to resort. It seems now that those resorts that fill-up most consistently, have lower percentage-off discounts, like the CR and WL. WL was also undergoing a rehab and had up to two floors at one time that were closed so inventory was low. CR is the most popular convention resort and its rooms also fill fast. Having said that, don't give-up hope. There is a military 40% off Deluxe rate that has been ongoing and you still have over 10 months until your trip. Keep checking the DIS and Mousesavers (they have a free newsletter you can sign-up for that will alert you to all discounts).

I'll be there Jan. 2 - 5. Can't wait to get 'home' to the Lodge! :cool1:

Only two more days until you're there! Hopefully, it will be a ghost town then:thumbsup2

Hello

Can anyone post any pics of the Club Level area, it doesn't look very big from the few pics I have seen, how many tables are there to sit at?
Is there a tv area like at the other resorts, is the area where the food is served very large? Is it the whole 7th floor or just a small section?

thanks
Welcome! I'm late in responding, but just wanted to add to the great responses you've already received.

Unlike some lounges, the food service area is on both sides of the room so this spreads out both the food and the guests so you won't feel cramped in there like at some CLs. The seating area is one of the largest, along with AKL, Poly and RPC. The seating area is shaped like a U (the bottom of the U faces Bay Lake) and goes around the entire lobby below. There is seating in front of windows that overlook the courtyard and Bay Lake (you can watch the EWP from here), there are sofas, chairs and tables along the North Wing, where there is also a big screen TV for adults. Along the South Wing is a TV and seating area for children and more tables and chairs for adults. There are photos on the first page of the seating area and food service area.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have:)
WDWKook- they closed MK at 10 am on Christmas Day... :)

I think this is probably no surprise, but I had switched my ressie to WL CL for 4/18-4/28!!! :dance3:

The family is really not interested in trying out a new resort since WL really does feel like home...:goodvibes
I'm really late in congratulating you. Let me know if you'd like me to re-post you to the Lodgers' Log:rolleyes1

wow 10am.....thats unreal. bet alot of upset moms and dads and kids......
For those who don't know or aren't staying onsite, you're right, what an unpleasant surprise. Usually they only close the park to non-onsite guests and often it re-opens later in the day. But if you bought a MK-only ticket, that would be mighty disappointing. But, even if you got in, the crowds on Main Street get very L A R G E as the day progresses:eek::crowded:

Just a question about bunk bed rooms-

I have just booked a woods view bunk bed room for my son and his family and a woods view room for myself and the other grandma. Does anyone know if the bunk bed rooms connect with the regular bed room or can you get a bunk bed room next to a regular room?
I'm almost certain they do, but I don't know for a fact. Hopefully someone else will chime in:listen:

Not so unusual for Christmas week. It will happen every day, maybe even a few times during the day. Just wait until NYEve.
Two years ago today, we left WL to drive home and mid-morning the car line to enter the MK was unbelievable.

Hi KOOK,
I have a favor to ask....would you change my vacation ticker to show that we have moved (another Resort Changer here! :rotfl2:) to the GF for our next visit? (nothing against the always wonderful WL..just really felt the GF "calling us"! :rotfl:)
Thanks..

Oh wait...do I have to do it myself???
Well now, if I keep making you tickers, will you ever learn how to make one for yourself?! Just let me know your arrival date again and and I can whip something up for you for the new year. Or are you in the Lodgers' Log? I'll go check:teleport:

ETA: Nope, you're not there, I'll need your arrival date.

Thanks KOOK!!!!! :goodvibes

I would LOVE to be on the Lodger's Log!!!

Do you think Randy will be back by the time of our trip?? 4/18-4/28 :confused3

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing Friday of a dear DISer, Jungle Cruiser (Sarah), due to a hard-fought battle with cancer. She was due to arrive tomorrow for a two-week stay at WL/CL. She had a great love for WDW and throughout her illness was always upbeat and an inspiration to us all. A memorial thread has been set up in her honor HERE.

:hug: Hi, so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and fellow Dis'er. I'm keeping you and her family in my prayers.

You've been re-posted. Randy should be back sometime in March, though TheLodgeLady might have a confirmed date for us:listen:

KOOK, you are certainly correct...I will try to change it myself.
Not a big deal anyhow..
Get thee to a ticker:magnify:. Let me know if you need a refresher ticker course.

:hug: Hi, so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and fellow Dis'er. I'm keeping you and her family in my prayers.
Thank you. We'd love an update on your recent long weekend at WDW and the new restaurants you tried. How is Randy?

I'd love to be added to the lodgers log. We will be there from Feb 5 to Feb 11th. It will be our first time staying at the lodge. I can't wait.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing Friday of a dear DISer, Jungle Cruiser (Sarah), due to a hard-fought battle with cancer. She was due to arrive tomorrow for a two-week stay at WL/CL. She had a great love for WDW and throughout her illness was always upbeat and an inspiration to us all. A memorial thread has been set up in her honor HERE.

She's there today, I just know it! She really wanted to see OFC, and you were a great friend to her...and I wanted to stop by and give you a big :hug: I drove by Newark airport on my way to work and cried...today was Sarah's big day for NYE at WL. God bless our Precious Pioneer Angel :angel:

We will be going back to the Lodge in November. Our last few trips have been CL and while we LOVE LOVE LOVE it, I am thinking that a 1 bedroom villa would be nicer. Ton more room, and I can come home with clean laundry that was washed right there in the room.

Besides the decor not being all new and fresh, which I can see past with no problem, are there any disadvantages with being over the in the Villas that anyone has experienced?

You've been re-posted. Randy should be back sometime in March, though TheLodgeLady might have a confirmed date for us:listen:

Get thee to a ticker:magnify:. Let me know if you need a refresher ticker course.

Thank you. We'd love an update on your recent long weekend at WDW and the new restaurants you tried. How is Randy?

Yay!!! My girls worship that man! the cookie man :worship:

:rotfl2:

She's there today, I just know it! She really wanted to see OFC, and you were a great friend to her...and I wanted to stop by and give you a big :hug: I drove by Newark airport on my way to work and cried...today was Sarah's big day for NYE at WL. God bless our Precious Pioneer Angel :angel:

:hug:

I had a feeling you'd be back at The Lodge!!!!

We're FINALLY staying there, just for 2 nights though (sadly) 3/13-15...CL...then moving over to AKV for 4 nts. I have a feeling I'll be at the front desk trying to find a way to stay at WL the entire time! I visited WL around midnight 2 weeks ago & was just so at home - and I've never even stayed there. I can see why so many fall in love with it.

Our next Girls Trip is during your dates, hopefully I'll get to catch up with you & say hi at some point.

I had a feeling you'd be back at The Lodge!!!!

We're FINALLY staying there, just for 2 nights though (sadly) 3/13-15...CL...then moving over to AKV for 4 nts. I have a feeling I'll be at the front desk trying to find a way to stay at WL the entire time! I visited WL around midnight 2 weeks ago & was just so at home - and I've never even stayed there. I can see why so many fall in love with it.

Our next Girls Trip is during your dates, hopefully I'll get to catch up with you & say hi at some point.

Oh, that would be fantastic if we could meet in person!!! :goodvibes

Yeah, the WL just feels like home to us. DH has never been tempted to just move all our stuff in at any other place we've stayed, lol! He loves the place!

Randy should be back sometime in March, though TheLodgeLady might have a confirmed date for us:listen:

We'd love an update on your recent long weekend at WDW and the new restaurants you tried. How is Randy?

Hi, sorry been so busy with the Holidays. :)

We spoke with Randy when we visited a few weeks ago. He is doing well and loves his new assignment. At the time, he wasn't sure when he would be back. He wasn't able to tell us a date. I'm not sure if he knows himself. We are hoping he does come back to the Lodge and is not given another assignment.

We went to Artist Point with some friends on one of the nights. It really was a wonderful dinner. DH had the buffalo and it was cooked perfectly and very tender. I had the duck salad (which is an appetizer) but had it for dinner. OMG!! This was amazing!! :lovestruc

We also got to go to dinner at the new Monsieur Paul (formerly Bistro de Paris). Had a fantastic dinner there. We had a little wait after our reservation time as Disney had overbooked** the restaurant (lots of very angry guests that evening) but we were not in a rush so we had a great meal. We're looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks. **I guess Disney thinks that guests are going to eat and run as they do for the other theme park restaurants, what they don't know is that when you go to a dinner at a place like Monsieur Paul guests will definitely want to take their time and that night guests did exactly that, so reservations were backed up. I don't know why Disney doesn't learn that not all of us are in a rush to see the theme parks, that we make going to nice dinners a part of the whole experience.

Anyway, it was a very quick little stay and most of it was running around delivering gifts.

We will be going back to the Lodge sometime in May. We were trying to see if we could make it before that but the room prices are crazy high. Even with the bounceback at 35% off the room it was just so over priced. I know that it is peak season and with the marathon and other RunDisney events they are having no problem filling rooms.

Everyone have a very SAFE and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!

I am looking forward to reading this (and also the Villas groupie thread) in the new year as often as I can. I am listening to Appalachian Spring as I type this and remembering our last trip in Dec. '09-Jan. '10. My wish for 2013 (besides the usual ones of good health and happiness to everyone) is for my postponed trip to become a reality this summer. But, I also know that if it doesn't, I will just keep postponing it until all the stars are aligned for it to happen. Meanwhile, I am living vicariously through you people, :), so please continue posting your experiences when you have the time. Hope 2013 will be good year for all, with lots of WL and VWL love shared!!

Happy New Year, everyone!! May it be a wonderfully magical year!

Today, we are also 80 days out!! Could you add us to the Lodger's Log? It's our first CL stay, and DH's 40th and DS's 5th birthdays!!! :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter