(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported today at the Annual DVC Meeting that renovations will begin at VWL in 2014. The photos of the new rooms look rather plain. They seem to have lost all their charm. I suppose we will find out more about the renovations via Disney Files.

Photos? Where????

It was reported today at the Annual DVC Meeting that renovations will begin at VWL in 2014. The photos of the new rooms look rather plain. They seem to have lost all their charm. I suppose we will find out more about the renovations via Disney Files.
Thank you for confirming the rumor, Deb! A CM told me about the VWL rehab last summer, but now that it's official, thanks to Deb:), I can take the word rumored out of the VWL blurb I have on it in the VWL section.

Photos? Where????

DVC Mike posted these photos from the 12/12 DVC meeting last night HERE:

http://i235.*************************************image-12.jpg

http://i235.*************************************image-4.jpg

LauraLea also reported on page 2 of the hyperlink above:

VWL rehab - "They are looking for a way to add the extra sleeper to this rehab. Not sure it will happen as they have to find a piece that will fit into the space."

I like the refurbishment. :thumbsup2 The old decor was a bit too busy for me, especially the carpet. Now it looks more relaxing. :goodvibes

Looks like we didn't make the transfer to the new thread and would love to be added to the log...3/1-3/6 me, DH and DD (3) @ VWL - DD's first trip!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I like the refurbishment. :thumbsup2 The old decor was a bit too busy for me, especially the carpet. Now it looks more relaxing. :goodvibes
And, good riddance to those ol' bedspreads.

Looks like we didn't make the transfer to the new thread and would love to be added to the log...3/1-3/6 me, DH and DD (3) @ VWL - DD's first trip!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Of course I'll add you and welcome to the thread.

A little bit of the WL magic... a video from a sunrise in November. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/sjRXZH3xOEo
Very peaceful and serene:cloud9:

Thanks for the news! Any guesses on start and end dates? We are going mid-August and I would love if they were finished by then.

Well we made it home last weekend so I'm a little late with my trip report but better late than never. Another week at the WL CL never fails to disappoint. Most of the distractions/issues were minor - certainly nothing to detract from the magic.

We checked in on Saturday morning and I was surprised that there was no one else checking in. As we wheeled up and had the bell service unloading the car I asking if the concierge from the CL was coming down because I didn't see anyone else around. He said that the CL guests check in with everyone else downstairs now and no one comes down to meet them. I said I found that hard to believe. He then said they also stopped doing free valet for CL (which I wouldn't know anything about because I always park the car myself). I asked how long he had been there and he said a year. They did all that last year and I figured if they had stopped it someone on the board would have mentioned it.

I finally did see a cast member wandering around with an iPad and I told him what the bellhop said. He said the bellhop was wrong and he would take me up to our room which was ready. He took us up and started the check in process. Eventually the concierge took over. I was disappointed that we didn't get most of our room requests. We got bunk beds but we were on the south wing with a woods view. We wanted north wing inner courtyard, but we didn't get it. She was surprised the request wasn't met but they were pretty much all booked up. A room was coming available the next night so she said we could move the next day if we didn't mind. So we did. The room we got was on the south wing the closest to the lounge. I will say - since we hung around the hotel that day - it was pretty awesome being that close to the elevators and lounge. Even though there wasn't much a view, that was a nice room - quiet and convenient.

Everything was hooked up to our Magic Bands and we starting wandering around. Problems arose when I tried to buy something at the Mercantile. The band didn't work and was saying I was over the charging limit which wasn't possible since I had just checked in. In short, it took literally half a dozen trips up and down to the Mercantile and meeting with the concierge downstairs, his manager, and the CL concierge to figure out they had never charged me the room balance upon check in which prevented me from charging anything. :( Fortunately I got a gift basket, the items I tried buying from the mercantile for free, and a sizable credit applying to my account for the hour inconvenience. Nice! Rubbing Humprey's nose paid off. :thumbsup2

By the way - the Magic Bands are AWESOME. We got everything tied to them (except the Photopass+ which I decided to keep separate). The Disney Experience app was hit or miss. The good was that the ability to change the Fastpass+ selections on the fly. When we were lounging by the pool and decided to go to the park a couple hours later - whip out the cell phone and move them back a couple hours. I can't overstate how great that is. The downside is that I was completely unable to cancel any dining reservations through the app, which resulted in me getting charged for them. The concierge said that seemed to be a common problem and she backed the charges off my account. They are still working out the kinks in the app, but I think they will have hit a homerun with everything once they get all the bugs worked out.

One night we waited about 30 minutes for a boat from the Contemporary back to the WL on the one night it was cold and windy. People were there before us complaining so I'm not sure how long it took the boat to actually come since the last one. All the boats we took to MK were very quick. Little to no waiting at all. I can't comment about the buses because we always drive over to Epcot and the Studios. I would recommend doing that (if you have your car) over the bus.

The only other hiccup was the concierge told us they roasted marshmallows on the beach until 7:00 when they have the movie. My wife took the kids down there at 6:45 and as the CM just handed out the marshmallows to another family she told my wife and kids they were done at 6:45 and she wouldn't be giving out any more marshmallows even though she just handed some out and the fire was still going. The kids were disappointed. My wife didn't get the name of the cast member unfortunately. I told the concierge about it afterward and she said she would get with management to see who was working that night. We weren't asking for anything special or over the top. It certainly would have been no big deal to give the kids two marshmallows with plenty of time to finish everything before the movie. That was probably the only black mark of the entire trip that didn't have some positive resolution although in the grand scheme of things it was insignificant.

Everything else was fantastic. The CL food was excellent as always. It seemed they had the apple cobbler for 4 or 5 nights in a row until they bust out with a flavor I hadn't had before - peach with strawberry. Not sure if Kook has got to try that one yet, but it was IMHO the best there - even better than the blueberry. The CM noted that he thought it might be new because it wasn't something he had seen very often. If you see it - I recommend a sample.

Of the CM's on the CL, we dealt mostly with Dee (I can't remember her actual name but that is what she goes by). Each year there always seems to be one CM who goes above and beyond or who is the one we deal with who always really makes us feel at home and this year it was her. Everyone was very friendly there this year. Some years some have not been overly friendly, but everyone on this go around was in full Disney mode.

We did get a few cute towel animals although in previous years we got a different one every single day. This time we got one every 3 days. They were pretty amazing. The kids always look forward to seeing the neat creations and the "scene" that Mousekeeping creates with them when we come back to the room from a day in the park and I guess the expectations have been set a little high.

Weather being in the 80's wasn't the greatest for the overall Christmas spirit as we always hope it will be cold, but at least there was no rain (or if there was we slept through it). And the heat did give us a few opportunities to enjoy the pool which wasn't crowded.

Overall again - I only pointed out the few hiccups. Everything was really fantastic - no one will remember the blips in a few months. WL never fails to disappoint and is always the best. The parks were great - not busy and the new Fastpass+ made the waits for the major rides non existent. Already booked for next year! :)

Did you book a Courtyard view or Woods view? Can they just change you to a Woods view even if you booked and paid for a Courtyard view?

Did you book a Courtyard view or Woods view? Can they just change you to a Woods view even if you booked and paid for a Courtyard view?

On the Club Level there are no "views" rooms or "bunk bed" rooms. You can REQUEST those things, but up there you get what you get. You can't/don't pay extra for a specific view or bunk beds.

By the way - the Magic Bands are AWESOME. We got everything tied to them (except the Photopass+ which I decided to keep separate). The Disney Experience app was hit or miss. The good was that the ability to change the Fastpass+ selections on the fly. When we were lounging by the pool and decided to go to the park a couple hours later - whip out the cell phone and move them back a couple hours. I can't overstate how great that is. The downside is that I was completely unable to cancel any dining reservations through the app, which resulted in me getting charged for them. The concierge said that seemed to be a common problem and she backed the charges off my account. They are still working out the kinks in the app, but I think they will have hit a homerun with everything once they get all the bugs worked out.
We enjoyed changing our fp+ selections when our plans changed, too. This was a really nice feature of the new system. I was able to cancel an ADR from the app on my cellphone without any problems. I also made a new one, too.

Everything else was fantastic. The CL food was excellent as always. It seemed they had the apple cobbler for 4 or 5 nights in a row until they bust out with a flavor I hadn't had before - peach with strawberry. Not sure if Kook has got to try that one yet, but it was IMHO the best there - even better than the blueberry. The CM noted that he thought it might be new because it wasn't something he had seen very often. If you see it - I recommend a sample.
They had apple cobbler at Trail's End the night we ate there. I was hoping it would be berry cobbler, but the apple was good, too.

Overall again - I only pointed out the few hiccups. Everything was really fantastic - no one will remember the blips in a few months. WL never fails to disappoint and is always the best. The parks were great - not busy and the new Fastpass+ made the waits for the major rides non existent. Already booked for next year! :)

Thanks for the trip report. I'm glad that you had a good time. If we go back in December I think we will pick the second week of December instead of the first week. It sounds less crowded than the week we were there.

We had a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit in the sun and heat of Florida. We are used to snow and cold weather when the holidays roll around. But we enjoyed all the extra decorations and events that come with Christmas at WDW. :)

Well folks we are here now!:santa:
The lodge is BEAUTIFUL and I can't imagine anywhere better to stay for a Christmas trip. The lobby is bustling and busy but not in a bad way. The villas are quiet and serene.
We spent the entire day at Epcot. We've had zero issues with the Magic Bands and find the bands themselves convenient. The crowds were not bad today at all, and waits were minimal. We were issued KTTW cards at check in, and tested them at Test Track for legacy fastpass and they worked fine. That was all we used them for but they do still work.
I just came back from Roaring Fork where I got our refillable mugs. They said they just got a new shipment. They only had two colours, which were purple and green. I didn't mind because it was nice to see some new colours. They do say "Rapid Refill" on them, but they aren't the RFID chip ones yet.
Tomorrow we are really going to explore the lodge as we aren't going to a park until it's time for MVMCP. We plan to do the hidden Mickey hunt, and to go swimming and have lunch at Roaring Forks.
Overall, I could not be happier to be here and it is cozy and Christmasy everywhere you look. The whole family loves WL!:thumbsup2

Well folks we are here now!:santa: The lodge is BEAUTIFUL and I can't imagine anywhere better to stay for a Christmas trip.
I just came back from Roaring Fork where I got our refillable mugs. They said they just got a new shipment. They only had two colours, which were purple and green. I didn't mind because it was nice to see some new colours. They do say "Rapid Refill" on them, but they aren't the RFID chip ones yet.
Overall, I could not be happier to be here and it is cozy and Christmasy everywhere you look. The whole family loves WL!:thumbsup2

That's great, enjoy your trip. Those mugs probably have the chip, which will let you use them at other resorts where the system is in place. We enjoyed this in September.
We all love WL too, and can't wait to hear more as you enjoy your trip.

Well folks we are here now!:santa:
The lodge is BEAUTIFUL and I can't imagine anywhere better to stay for a Christmas trip. The lobby is bustling and busy but not in a bad way. The villas are quiet and serene.
We spent the entire day at Epcot. We've had zero issues with the Magic Bands and find the bands themselves convenient. The crowds were not bad today at all, and waits were minimal. We were issued KTTW cards at check in, and tested them at Test Track for legacy fastpass and they worked fine. That was all we used them for but they do still work.
Tomorrow we are really going to explore the lodge as we aren't going to a park until it's time for MVMCP. We plan to do the hidden Mickey hunt, and to go swimming and have lunch at Roaring Forks.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the bands are working and the crowds are low. I hope you have a great day at the lodge. We enjoyed the walk to Fort Wilderness so much that we did it twice. :goodvibes

I think I like the new decor as well. People were against the Poly plain refurb decor as well at first, and I think those rooms ended up fantastic. This is one of those things I'll trust them on.

Thanks for the trip report. I'm glad that you had a good time. If we go back in December I think we will pick the second week of December instead of the first week. It sounds less crowded than the week we were there.

We had a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit in the sun and heat of Florida. We are used to snow and cold weather when the holidays roll around. But we enjoyed all the extra decorations and events that come with Christmas at WDW. :)

This is the first time we went the first "week" of December. Usually we go the second weekend after Thanksgiving. This year because of the way the calendar fell and the discounts offered we went the weekend after Thanksgiving. I don't think there is much difference during the weekdays between the first and second week. You could check the crowd calendars to be sure. The weekends are a different story. The weekend after Thanksgiving is much more crowded due to people still being there for the Thanksgiving holiday and probably somewhat for the parade taping. Saturday we usually don't go into the parks. We enjoy the hotel and have dinner at someplace like Chef Mickey. Sunday then is usually ok for the MK, but again, check the crowd calendar.

I couldn't agree more with the comment on the heat. One of the reasons we drive is because we pack so many clothes both warm and cold weather stuff. One year we went it was in the 30's at night all week. Lately it seems it's been much warmer. The pictures of us wearing the Christmas Mickey ears in shorts and t-shirts don't do much for me, but it is what it is. :)

I have been a long time reader of these forums, but am a new poster!
I live in Tampa, so we have Annual Passes and use them about once a month, more in the summer and when the kids are out of school.

We just got back from a weekend trip, and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for the very first time....and I have to say, we are hooked on this place! It's our new favorite, for sure! The Christmas decorations are amazing and we felt very much at home there. While it is, of course, a deluxe resort, it didn't have the "stuffy" feeling that we experienced at the GF. So we breathed a sigh of relief, for sure.

We used the wristbands for the first time this weekend, and they worked perfectly. No issues with payment in the parks, room entry, and the Fast Pass+ feature was a real godsend to us for the major attractions. I really believe it will be VERY useful at the busier times of the year when the crowds are larger!

As far as not being in the holiday spirit while in shorts and a t-shirt....well, many people in the world do just that every year, and being cold would be foreign to them, too! Embrace the different, and be glad you have different experiences to share now! I was personally raised in NYC, where we obviously had cold for the holidays. I have lived in Florida for the past 12 years and would not trade the warm weather for the cold-even at Christmas-for all the pixie dust in the world. I love cooking Christmas dinner in capris and flip flops :D

Anyway, love reading everyone's experiences. Glad to share mine!

Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter