(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I saw it and was very happy and relieved! Thank you so much for finding out. I really did not want to even consider changing resorts!
Looking forward to your TR and photos. Sorry the CA Grill was such a disappointment. I have read other not so great reviews since the renovation and was hesitant to include it anyhow. I think we will give Artist Point a try. The only time we have been there before was for a character breakfast. Kind of wish they still had that.
Welcome back, and like I have said before, your attention to everyone here is amazing!!

We really liked Artist Point on our last visit in September. My wife makes all the ADRs, but I think we chose that over Cali Grill for our April AKL trip, we'll have a car for the first time in a long time, so we'll have the flexibility to go wherever we want. AP and a lodge visit sounds like a good way to spend an evening. :)

I have been enjoying this thread! Our trip is in April to celebrate my retirement. We haven't stayed at WL for 10 years. It is my favorite - recent trips have been with kids and grandkids so we stayed at values (love the themes there for the grandkids). Our plan is basically having very few plans. No real schedule. We did reserve the Wild Africa Trek. I'll be working my way through the 31 pages! Can't wait.

Phew! Just finished reading 31 pages.

We are headed to WL from Feb 16-18 with my in-laws, and hopefully my SIL, Niece and Nephew, although that part is still a little up in the air.

We go all the time (usually twice a year) with my parents, who are DVC members, but this will be my first time with my DH's parents.

DH parents are Florida residents, but MIL doesn't really get Disney. When I proposed this short trip with them, before we meet my parents at BCV on the 18th, she initially said no. But then, when my nephew expressed his interest in going to Disney too, she said she would consider it. Because I have an annual pass, I was able to get us discounted room rates, which made it more appealing to her as well.

I am so excited to stay at the WL. I haven't stayed there since I was 9, although my family has gone back to visit and have meals and visit the campground at the holidays. Since I haven't stayed at an MK resort in forever (we have always stayed at the Epcot resorts for the last 15 years), this thread has been super helpful. I am so excited about possibly seeing the fireworks from the Poly beach (after dinner one night), and being able to see the EMP which I haven't seen since I was a kid. :cloud9:

My in-laws and SIL have standard view rooms (weren't willing to pay for anything else), but I upgraded myself and my two girls to a woods view with bunk beds (which they will LOVE) after reading about it on here. Thank you Kook for creating this super informative thread! :goodvibes

I am a little concerned by the monorail shutdown... one of the things I was hoping to do was hop the boat to the CR, and then hop on the monorail to the Poly or Grand Floridan for a meal or two. When the monorails are down, what would be the best plan to get to the Poly? Boat to MK and then bus to Poly?

Will return later to multi-quote:)

Starting January 21, 2014, service on the Magic Kingdom Resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between 11:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. to allow for planned maintenance. This schedule will run through the end of March 2014. During this time, watercraft and additional buses will be available. The Epcot monorail beam will operate normally.
AllEars

Timing-wise - if I want to get to MK for an 8am EMH, how early should I be at the boat dock? is 7:30 enough time? I am so used to planning from the Beach Club, that this WL planning is throwing me for a loop. Plus, since I will only have 2 full days with my in-laws (both of which will be super crowded), I want to make sure we hit the highlights, but don't want to rush them around. We went in October, so I have some experience with FP+, but that was when FP- was still useable, and there was no tiering at Epcot.

But I am very, very excited. I think I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip itself.:rotfl:

The boats were running so great during our holiday trip..Never had to wait very log for one. You can get a boat from MK to poly...I am guessing during the monorail down time boats might be uped to help out with this very situation.

It's probably obvious, but our Christmas at WL/WDW was truly magical and just about perfect. I can't recommend WL/VWL enough at Christmastime. It will make you feel the spirit of the holidays and a stroll next door to FW will absolutely make you feel like you must be at the North Pole. The decorations are truly amazing and the spirit of Christmas is everywhere.

Glad you had an amazing Christmas stay (although I knew you would ;)). I agree about the WL being truly magical. It's amazing any time of year, but especially so during the holidays :santa:.

It's one present I would NEVER return;)

I hear you on that :thumbsup2.

We are booked at WL October 4-12! Kind of an early birthday present for DH (October 21)! DS will be 8 - last WDW trip (stayed at the GF) he was 3. Needless to say, he is excited :yay: Our TA put in our request for 6th floor Otter pond view room. Was that a good choice? Counting the many, many days until our trip.....

You're going to love the WL :goodvibes.

We checked in late last night...I love it! We have Woods View room #2110, which is literally just a few steps off the lobby, near the Mercantile. This is perfect for us since we have a stroller. More later!

Hope you're having a great time :wizard:.

Hello!

So psyched to finally stay at WL this February 26 and 27! Celebrating my (wow) 40th birthday with a split stay at CBR for two days as well! I can't wait to take it all in...

I've booked a Woods View room with a bunk bed for me and my girlfriend...are those rooms also part of the North Wing?

I am a little concerned by the monorail shutdown... one of the things I was hoping to do was hop the boat to the CR, and then hop on the monorail to the Poly or Grand Floridan for a meal or two. When the monorails are down, what would be the best plan to get to the Poly? Boat to MK and then bus to Poly?
We have the same problem since we were hoping to go to the Polynesian for lunch one day. The monorail will run normally on the weekend, which is good. Otherwise we'll take the boat to MK and then the boat to the Polynesian to get there for lunch.

Timing-wise - if I want to get to MK for an 8am EMH, how early should I be at the boat dock? is 7:30 enough time? I am so used to planning from the Beach Club, that this WL planning is throwing me for a loop. Plus, since I will only have 2 full days with my in-laws (both of which will be super crowded), I want to make sure we hit the highlights, but don't want to rush them around. We went in October, so I have some experience with FP+, but that was when FP- was still useable, and there was no tiering at Epcot.

The boat ride to MK is only about 10 - 12 minutes long. The boats run about 15 minutes apart, normally, but they can get off schedule, too. We had a tendency to walk up to the boat dock just as the boat was casting off. So give yourself a half hour or more to get to the MK. The boat to MK, CR and Fort Wilderness are much more enjoyable than the Epcot boats are. :thumbsup2 We are big fans of the BC, but once we started staying at the WL, we found that we loved it there, too. A WL stay is very MK centered while a BC stay is more about Epcot. :) I hope you have a great time. :goodvibes

Hello!

So psyched to finally stay at WL this February 26 and 27! Celebrating my (wow) 40th birthday with a split stay at CBR for two days as well! I can't wait to take it all in...

I've booked a Woods View room with a bunk bed for me and my girlfriend...are those rooms also part of the North Wing?

The bunk bed rooms are scattered throughout the resort. Some of them are in the north wing. :)

You THINK the trip is set in stone? Or is it more like it's set in chalk? Where else are you contemplating staying so I can talk you out of it:teeth:

Do nothing? You? Not possible. There is so much to do at FW. Have you guys gone horseback
:rotfl2:

No more contemplating....set in stone. After visiting the Poly again last week, it briefly crossed my mind to make a change. However....it quickly passed when I remembered the construction that would be taking place. Hubby also reminded me ever so gently that he's footing the bill and the WL it shall be :teeth: So that discussion is over ::yes::
:lmao:

See I remembered that you don't like connecting doors ;) And that you had three reservations! :love:
pixiedust:

We checked in late last night...I love it! We have Woods View room #2110, which is literally just a few steps off the lobby, near the Mercantile. This is perfect for us since we have a stroller. More later!
Enjoy!

School starts again Monday :upsidedow but at least grad school is over FOREVER. Now I have more time to peruse the Boards.
Congrats :hug: School starts back up for me tomorrow :sad: I took 2 much needed months off....back to the grind :badpc:

Best.Christmas.Ever.
:hug:

Joining in and hoping to learn about this resort for our upcoming trip. Please send any hidden info your way. We have visited this resort for dining but our first stay coming up:banana:

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize, but we will be staying at WL for our first Disney trip at the beginning of March and I'm wondering what time we should be walking out of our resort rooms in order to make it to RD at MK, HS, and Epcot, respectively? (Assuming we are not stopping for breakfast.)

Also wondering the best Disney transportation method to each park (we are not renting a car).

Thanks!!

Joining in and hoping to learn about this resort for our upcoming trip. Please send any hidden info your way. We have visited this resort for dining but our first stay coming up:banana:

Congratulations on your upcoming stay. We love the lodge. :)
Kook has posted a lot of information on the first two pages of this thread. And there are plenty of people here with heads that are filled with tips. Just ask and someone will answer. :goodvibes

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize, but we will be staying at WL for our first Disney trip at the beginning of March and I'm wondering what time we should be walking out of our resort rooms in order to make it to RD at MK, HS, and Epcot, respectively? (Assuming we are not stopping for breakfast.)

Also wondering the best Disney transportation method to each park (we are not renting a car).

Thanks!!

Kook has posted a huge amount of information about the transportation options on page one, post #13 of this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50126381&postcount=13

We preferred taking the boats to MK instead of the bus. It is a nice ride. The bus is faster unless they have to load a ecv, then it can take awhile. It is also convenient to take a boat to CR in order to catch the monorail for an ADR at the Poly or GF. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming stay. We love the lodge. :) Kook has posted a lot of information on the first two pages of this thread. And there are plenty of people here with heads that are filled with tips. Just ask and someone will answer. :goodvibes Kook has posted a huge amount of information about the transportation options on page one, post #13 of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50126381&postcount=13 We preferred taking the boats to MK instead of the bus. It is a nice ride. The bus is faster unless they have to load a ecv, then it can take awhile. It is also convenient to take a boat to CR in order to catch the monorail for an ADR at the Poly or GF. :)

Thank you very much! I was sure it was already posted somewhere, but didn't know where to look.

Congratulations on your upcoming stay. We love the lodge. :)
Kook has posted a lot of information on the first two pages of this thread. And there are plenty of people here with heads that are filled with tips. Just ask and someone will answer. :goodvibes

We preferred taking the boats to MK instead of the bus. It is a nice ride. The bus is faster unless they have to load a ecv, then it can take awhile. It is also convenient to take a boat to CR in order to catch the monorail for an ADR at the Poly or GF. :)

Can't wait! I will read up on the first part of this thread! Thanks so much! I love to get the insider information from all those who have been before and can give inside tips. Already booked breakfast for WCC...yum!!!

We are booked for May 3-9 for my girls' first trip to WDW! So excited! I have never stayed at the WL before.

Doing my research!!! In Dining section on the first page~with the wonderful photos....is that coffee cream in the fridge/cooler section down low by the milk?? We are hoping so. Can anyone confirm if they have coffee cream to purchase there (not powder):thumbsup2

Totally thought about the archery...however DS6 and a bow don't always work well around our house; windows get shattered which in turn makes dad a very unhappy camper. Thinking about the Segway tour (if it's still offered). Someone told me they stopped doing the Segway at EP.
Your DS is the minimum age and the arrows are blunt-tipped and they'll put away all the fine china, so no worries. Seriously, I highly recommend it and the kids will love it. The instructors do a great job and everyone has fun.

The Segway tour on the other hand…Yes, they still have it at FW, (but not Epcot). The min. age is 16 so none of your kids could attend. Every time we've seen it "in action" it looks very lame and s l o w; a single-file line of bored-looking guests in helmets. The Segway never made it commercially, so I guess Disney got a good deal on them? IDK, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel them eventually at FW, too. I just think it would be very boring and your money better spent elsewhere. DISCLAIMER: I Hope I haven't offended any Segway Touring enthusiast(s) and the preceding was only my opinion, and may not reflect the opinion of the owner's of this site.

GOB-segway.jpg

See I remembered that you don't like connecting doors ;) And that you had three reservations! :love:
You are the BEST and thank you for taking all those Omega 3's::yes::

We will have to work on that. It will be nice to finally sit and relax with you guys.
:thumbsup2

Yes, I saw it and was very happy and relieved! Thank you so much for finding out. I really did not want to even consider changing resorts!
Looking forward to your TR and photos. Sorry the CA Grill was such a disappointment. I have read other not so great reviews since the renovation and was hesitant to include it anyhow. I think we will give Artist Point a try. The only time we have been there before was for a character breakfast. Kind of wish they still had that.
Welcome back, and like I have said before, your attention to everyone here is amazing!!
Awww, thank you for your kind comment.

I hope you're still enjoying your stay. Bundle up tonight!

I have been enjoying this thread! Our trip is in April to celebrate my retirement. We haven't stayed at WL for 10 years. It is my favorite - recent trips have been with kids and grandkids so we stayed at values (love the themes there for the grandkids). Our plan is basically having very few plans. No real schedule. We did reserve the Wild Africa Trek. I'll be working my way through the 31 pages! Can't wait.
Welcome to the thread and congratulations on your upcoming retirement. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to do absolutely nothing in at WL! I would recommend scheduling your FP+ as this will guarantee you a set time for up to 3 attractions per day at one park. Then the rest of the day can be by the seat of your pants or seated on your pants, you're retired so you decide!

Phew! Just finished reading 31 pages.

We are headed to WL from Feb 16-18 with my in-laws, and hopefully my SIL, Niece and Nephew, although that part is still a little up in the air.

We go all the time (usually twice a year) with my parents, who are DVC members, but this will be my first time with my DH's parents.

DH parents are Florida residents, but MIL doesn't really get Disney. When I proposed this short trip with them, before we meet my parents at BCV on the 18th, she initially said no. But then, when my nephew expressed his interest in going to Disney too, she said she would consider it. Because I have an annual pass, I was able to get us discounted room rates, which made it more appealing to her as well.

I am so excited to stay at the WL. I haven't stayed there since I was 9, although my family has gone back to visit and have meals and visit the campground at the holidays. Since I haven't stayed at an MK resort in forever (we have always stayed at the Epcot resorts for the last 15 years), this thread has been super helpful. I am so excited about possibly seeing the fireworks from the Poly beach (after dinner one night), and being able to see the EMP which I haven't seen since I was a kid. :cloud9:

My in-laws and SIL have standard view rooms (weren't willing to pay for anything else), but I upgraded myself and my two girls to a woods view with bunk beds (which they will LOVE) after reading about it on here. Thank you Kook for creating this super informative thread! :goodvibes

But I am very, very excited. I think I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip itself.:rotfl:
I'm glad you made it through all 31 pages and welcome to the thread! I hope you found the Transportation section with all the bus, boat, monorail and early ADR info. Happy planning and I'll add you to the Log.

Hello!

Welcome and happy birthday early! I'll note your dates in the Log.

Congrats :hug: School starts back up for me tomorrow :sad: I took 2 much needed months off....back to the grind :badpc:

:hug:
So glad you had a little break and now you're refreshed and ready to take on more grad. school, with a smattering of planning and changing thrown in for good measure:hug:

Rescue from page two!
:worship:

We're pleased to have you join us and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!!
Welcome to the thread and happy planning!

We are booked for May 3-9 for my girls' first trip to WDW! So excited! I have never stayed at the WL before.
YIPPEE! You're going to love the Lodge and I'll add you to the Lodgers' Log.

I know that some of you won't think that this is a strange question but, are the hairdryers in the rooms very powerful? I have thick curly hair and it makes a difference to me. Also, are they the ones that you have to keep your finger on the button to keep it running.
I would try to go back and read up but I have been on the phone all day trying to rebook my cancelled Jet Blue flight tomorrow.
UGH

Doing my research!!! In Dining section on the first page~with the wonderful photos....is that coffee cream in the fridge/cooler section down low by the milk?? We are hoping so. Can anyone confirm if they have coffee cream to purchase there (not powder):thumbsup2
Half & Half is sold at The Mercantile:

28f4dfe1-9948-4f42-9cb0-2afee6a40fce.jpg

And, there is creamer at Roaring Fork:

I know that some of you won't think that this is a strange question but, are the hairdryers in the rooms very powerful? I have thick curly hair and it makes a difference to me. Also, are they the ones that you have to keep your finger on the button to keep it running.
I would try to go back and read up but I have been on the phone all day trying to rebook my cancelled Jet Blue flight tomorrow.
UGH
That's not a strange question to me. Actually, the hair dryers are powerful. I have long hair and it dries very quickly. It actually seems better than my home dryer. The hair dryers are detached and look just like this:

ir7r78.jpg

Have a wonderfully warm vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter