• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chunkymonkey and Chubbyhubby's MAGICal 1st Disney Cruise - a May 2015 Trip Report! COMPLETED

I'm continuing to love your trip report. All your pictures of the Bahamas has me researching vacations there! I do that a lot - research vacations I can't take. :rotfl2:I love your pirate outfits and the pirate characters especially Mickey. I can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

I love your pirate outfits!!!!
That dress was perfect, you did a great job for your hubby too.
Your niece is precious!!!!

Thanks! It really was perfect. Even when I purchased itI thought, wow I wonder if anyone will think I look like a pirate wearing this. But I think I can make it look chic for real life...obviously no pirate belt involved. Maybe a woven belt and some wedge sandals...anyhoo it just makes me think that I was meant to buy it last year so I could go on this cruise...LOL

I'm continuing to love your trip report. All your pictures of the Bahamas has me researching vacations there! I do that a lot - research vacations I can't take. :rotfl2:I love your pirate outfits and the pirate characters especially Mickey. I can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

Thank you!! The Bahamas is not that far for us North Easters....maybe a 4.5 hour plane ride at most? It's expensive once you get there though.
Thanks! Mickey was the boss! Everyone wanted their picture with him that night!

AND....... Take many more, I mean you got you pirate outfit right?!?!?

Thank you!! Hahaha, reading the Disboards...that is me all the time now! I go through periods where I don't have time for the Dis but right now I don't have time for anything else because i'm writing 2 TRs!

Our new cruise is on the Fantasy...it is the Star Wars Day at see on Feb 20th...I booked it because we love star wars and were just in WDW for Star Wars weekend, it was awesome! I kinda booked it not knowing if we were able to make it, but regardless I just wanted to lock in the onboard discount. I actually am looking at the Magic sailing from NY because it's so close to home! But unfortunately those sailings are blocked from the discounts. Boo. I will definitely do a TR, mostly because I want to preserve the memories from our DCL cruise!

Animators Palate had the best entertainment I thought, yes Sorcerer Mickey ooes come out at the end. We ate there 3 times on the cruise, our rotation was LACLA and our debarkation breakfast was there, but the show was only on the first night we dined there. I'm not sure it had the best food, but it was hard to say which restaurant did. I liked components of each restaurant... the appetizer from Lumiere's, dessert from AP...bread from Carioca's. I honestly just loved being at the restaurants!

Lol! I'm in total Dis mode right now and I'm not even writing a TR! I'm going to be so sad when you are done writing this one, I almost feel like I know you and your family!

Star Wars Day is going to be awesome, I'm even more excited for you! I have been to Star Wars weekend twice at WDW, we are also Star Wars fans! I'm SO excited for Star Wars VII to come out in December! I wish we would have booked onboard for our March 2016 trip but we honestly didn't think we would go back so soon. All my husband and I could talk about for weeks after getting back home from the cruise was how much we enjoyed it and how we should have booked while onboard then I got a "Welcome Back" pin in the mail and we decided to go ahead and book....Woohoo!! So no onboard credit but we did get 10% off! I did use my Disney Visa, so I'm hoping to get an onboard credit from that.

I'm really looking forward to AP and seeing Sorcerer Mickey and also eating at Carioca's!

Love all of your Pirate Pics! You have a beautiful family!

AND....... Take many more, I mean you got you pirate outfit right?!?!?

I know! I feel like when I go shopping now, I always think in the back of my head "will this work for a Disney cruise?" or "this is perfect for a meet n greet with Goofy!" LOL

Lol! I'm in total Dis mode right now and I'm not even writing a TR! I'm going to be so sad when you are done writing this one, I almost feel like I know you and your family!

Star Wars Day is going to be awesome, I'm even more excited for you! I have been to Star Wars weekend twice at WDW, we are also Star Wars fans! I'm SO excited for Star Wars VII to come out in December! I wish we would have booked onboard for our March 2016 trip but we honestly didn't think we would go back so soon. All my husband and I could talk about for weeks after getting back home from the cruise was how much we enjoyed it and how we should have booked while onboard then I got a "Welcome Back" pin in the mail and we decided to go ahead and book....Woohoo!! So no onboard credit but we did get 10% off! I did use my Disney Visa, so I'm hoping to get an onboard credit from that.

I'm really looking forward to AP and seeing Sorcerer Mickey and also eating at Carioca's!

Love all of your Pirate Pics! You have a beautiful family!

Thank you!! It's too bad we won't be on the same cruise! You guys sound like great table mates! You must give me a little intro to your family!

I'll try and extend the TR for as long as my memory can last...LOL. Can't believe I'm already up to Pirate Night! Next day is Castaway Cay and then we disembark! But there's lots of cool stuff coming, don't worry!

Dec 18 is when Star Wars Force Awakens comes out and it just so happens to be DH's birthday. I think he knows what we'll be doing for his b-day! I'm also thinking about throwing him a big Star Wars birthday bash. He does turn 40 this year. I was inspired after attending all the Star Wars meals at DHS a few weeks ago...I love all the names they gave everything, and I think I can probably come up with theme names such as Degobah Swamp Juice, and Rebel mac n cheese.

AP was so much fun...I can't wait to try it on the Fantasy! I hear it's completely different.

Thank you!! :)

Hello! I just wanted to chime in and say I've enjoyed reading your TR too.

Super jealous that you'll be going on the SW cruises. I would've loved to do that too but I've got kids in school and it's too pricey for me...We've got a Dec 2016 booked so I've got that to look forward to.

You will LOVE the Fantasy. I'll be looking forward to your TR for that cruise! :)

Hello! I just wanted to chime in and say I've enjoyed reading your TR too.

Super jealous that you'll be going on the SW cruises. I would've loved to do that too but I've got kids in school and it's too pricey for me...We've got a Dec 2016 booked so I've got that to look forward to.

You will LOVE the Fantasy. I'll be looking forward to your TR for that cruise! :)

Hi! Thanks for reading!! What cruise have you been on with the Fantasy? Which cruise are you going on in Dec next year? I didn't even know you could book that far out! I am seriously contemplating the Magic sailings from NYC next fall...mostly because I would be really sad watching the Magic sail away...without ME! LOL. My office building in NJ faces the port on the west side of NYC, we see cruises leave all the time and I'm always wishing I could be on one...now that it's a Disney ship, I'm going to be even sadder I'm not on board! But those particular cruises...they are blocked from the onboard booking discount, and they are even more expensive than the Fantasy! Sigh...

Hi! I'm new to DIS board and am so enjoying your trip report! I'm debating between a couple of days at WDW and the Dream, or just spend the week on the Magic or Fantasy. We are planning to go next May. I love your food comments and pictures! It is also nice to hear how well your niece did on the cruise because I have a 2 and a 6 year-old. Can't wait to read more.

Day at Port: Key West Part 2

We finally got to disembark onto Key West...it was a beautiful day, but very hot! We started by getting a picture of us in front of the Magic. Sorry, most of our pics are going to be selfies. I'm too lazy to get someone to take a picture of us...

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-238.jpg

We began by walking to the main street in Key West...the big one with all the bars and restaurants...forgot it's name but just follow where everyone goes! I had made a small list of things I wanted to try...but we kept the plan open and just walked around, stopping in places that we found interesting.

There is a lot of art around Key West and a few museums which seem nice. We didn't stop in them though.

tFcubcwc7pa1TaB0CovkkSaL1oixOEBVRvTixUkUO9jh=w483-h644-no

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-239.jpg

Thought this was a very nice looking Coast Guard building:

s5pz99NTgsJdqrJFHiZ3ausK_vK0duNpCsf1hAI6SkeT=w966-h644-no

Our first stop was a Key West institution...for drinking...the famed Sloppy Joe's Bar.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-279.jpg

We went in just to look around and stopped at the bar for a Sloppy Rita, which is just a margarita on the rocks served in a plastic cup.

I_zjqJ3_EDvvVX8-IS0QLg9k2PIWMUzu1kFh71kUC1Nc=w859-h644-no

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-245.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-246.jpg

We listened to live music while we drank, tipped the bartender, and headed on out to our next destination!

KEY LIME PIE!!! Finally, I get to taste some good key lime pie! This stop was at the Key West Key Lime Pie Co.

Ad7KjJaLrEiQBb7TzlBrWmeo9smt8S_WloC0q25D12aV=w966-h644-no

Beautiful interior:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-248.jpg

We got a slice of the regular key lime. We are purists when it comes to trying house specialties.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-250.jpg

Sorry for this slightly blurry picture of the key lime but it's probably in my rush to actually eat the pie and not just take pictures of it:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-251.jpg

How was it? DELICIOUS. Best key lime pie we had! I like that it tasted homemade, there was a tart sweetness to the filling and the crust was buttery and crumbly. Loved it!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-252.jpg

We were contemplating getting another slice, but there were still other things and more key lime pie I wanted to try that day...so we moved on.

Next stop was Peppers of Key West, which is a place that sells different hot sauces. They range from very mild to weapons-grade spicy. Yes they have a sign that says weapons-grade spicy. DH loves anything spicy so he was up for a tasting. I can usually hold my own when it comes to heat but I prefer to have my taste buds intact so I did most of the tasting and declined the few, super hot sauces.

Interior of Peppers of Key West:

20BLHiBWobPKfGTPC0Z4MyEp_x0t4VuIM3wAaQMTWuvf=w966-h644-no

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-254.jpg

We started the tasting with some mild sweet chilli, and other fruity concoctions. They weren't spicy at all really, just a bit of kick. Soon we moved on to more "buffalo wing" style sauces, then we got into the island caribbean spicy, then exotic asian spicy, then it was all just spicy fire!!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-256.jpg

Think we tried over 20 sauces! We bought a couple that we liked the best. I actually really like the name of this sauce:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-258.jpg

And told you they have weapons-grade sauces!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-259.jpg

After Peppers, we wanted to let our mouths cool down a bit so we took a walk around. Love all the island and Cuban-inspired scenes.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-260.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-263.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-267.jpg

Since we were only 90 miles from Cuba, I thought having some cuban coffee would be good, so we went to a little kiosk that got some really good reviews. It's called Cuban Coffee Queen. With a name like that, they must have some pretty good cafe con leche, no?

Cuban Coffee Queen shack:

huo9ATnPEgpAMr8AcEuTOb-jRJ8K2C4hrvdQdQhIR3GN=w832-h624-no

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-271.jpg

We got an iced cafe con leche, and one of their cuban sanwiches...think the one we got was the Del Castro.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-273.jpg

The iced coffee was DELICIOUS! They even used COFFEE ICE CUBES in it. I love that attention to detail. Iced coffee, lattes, etc, are my most favorite drink...and I love when they are made well!!

The sandwich was pretty good too! The roast pork was juicy and the bread was hot and toasty. It was actually really large, so DH and I split half of it and wrapped the other half to eat later.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-275.jpg

Next, up more key lime pie! This was at Kermit's Key Lime Shoppe

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-264.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-266.jpg

The slice we shared was good, but we preferred the Key West Key Lime Pie Co. better...it just had a more handcrafted taste that we liked better. But Kermit's is good too and I'd be happy with a slice of it right now...or any time!

We went to Key West Rum Distillery...we walked around and had a small taste of their rum. DH bought a small bottle for one of his coworkers.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-282.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-284.jpg

It was really hot at that point so we headed back to the ship...along the way I snapped these scenes from around Key West:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-288.jpg
Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-289.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-291.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-285.jpg

Finally we were back at the Magic! Such a nice sight!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-296.jpg

I did a panorama of the Magic. It came out a bit wonky but the sun was so bright that I could barely see the the screen of my phone.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-298.jpg

Back on the Magic we changed and went to the adult pool! It was so nice to be out of the heat. Everyone was still on their trolly tour at this point so we would just meet up at dinner.

We found a nice spot in the shade and relaxed there and in the pool before it was time to get ready for dinner!

Coming up, dinner at Animator's Palate!!

Key lime pie and cuban coffee...my kind of treats! Loved your Key West stops. How did your niece make out in Key West? I never really thought of it as a kid friendly place.

Hi! I'm new to DIS board and am so enjoying your trip report! I'm debating between a couple of days at WDW and the Dream, or just spend the week on the Magic or Fantasy. We are planning to go next May. I love your food comments and pictures! It is also nice to hear how well your niece did on the cruise because I have a 2 and a 6 year-old. Can't wait to read more.

Thank you! Thanks for reading!! I honestly never thought of a cruise...just because I wasn't really into cruise to begin with...but a Disney cruise seems completely different than a regular cruise...for one, there is a lot of Disney magic and characters on board...so that alone makes it extra special. I've been to WDW so many times, it was nice to exprerience something new under the Disney umbrella. I am hooked! You kids will love it! And it's very easy when you're on a boat...they can meet characters, go to the kids club/nursery, while the adults can have a nice dinner! Regardless the main dining room is great for kids...the servers LOVE the kids and will always entertain them. Maddie had a great time! (when she was awake). But she is generally a good-natured kid, and she loved the characters and the pool/splash area!

Trying to get caught up on your trip reports but I already have Disney Cruise fever!

It was so much fun! I didn't think I'd love the cruise as much as I did...it's so convenient to be on a boat with everything right there...so different from having a land WDW trip!

Key lime pie and cuban coffee...my kind of treats! Loved your Key West stops. How did your niece make out in Key West? I never really thought of it as a kid friendly place.

I'm such a foodie that I seek out local specialties when I'm in any location! My niece and my in=laws went on the Key West trolley tour, so less walking but they didn't really get off the trolley to explore on their own. From the pictures I saw, it looked like Maddie had fun! Too much fun so I guess that's why she fell asleep during dinner! But I agree, aside from the beaches and some restaurants...there are many bars and shops which cater to adults in Key West.

Again I say it: your tour sounds absolutely awesome!!! The perfect blend of things I love: eating, learning about cool things, being in the warmth and sun, being on vacation :laughing:

Your conch salad looks super yummy - and I love that they placed it in a shell! :thumbsup2

You looked amazing for Pirate Night - your dress was perfect! And you did a great job with Steve's also. Love the family shot too, Maddie is just so darn cute!!! :cutie:

Again I say it: your tour sounds absolutely awesome!!! The perfect blend of things I love: eating, learning about cool things, being in the warmth and sun, being on vacation :laughing:

Your conch salad looks super yummy - and I love that they placed it in a shell! :thumbsup2

You looked amazing for Pirate Night - your dress was perfect! And you did a great job with Steve's also. Love the family shot too, Maddie is just so darn cute!!! :cutie:

Yes it was! I am really glad we did it!

It was super good! I love fresh seafood...mmmm, and the presentation was so lovely too!

Thank you! It was fun putting together the costumes. Who knew I'd like to dress up so much? The thing is...at Disney I do a lot of things I don't do IRL...like conga lines and costumes! Hehehe. Yes she's such a cutie. I love her cheeks...they are just so round!

Loved the update. Your niece is adorable and all the food looks amazing.

Thank you! Maddie thanks you too! :) The food was so yummy in the Bahamas. If I ever go back there I'd definitely go to Bahamian Home Cooking on our own!

loving your report so far can't wait for more!

Thank you!! Thanks for reading! Working on an update now!

Nassau Bahamas Day Part 4: Pirates Deck Party and Midnight buffet!

I had changed out of my Pirate costume so I could lounge around in our room before the show but I put it back on for the Pirate Deck Party. I'm not sure that was a good idea because the upper decks, especially 10, which had a great view of the stage, was very windy! My dress kept trying to blow upwards, so I just had to stay on Deck 9. Maybe next time I will wear capris or something that won't blow up!

The deck party about to begin! There was already music playing and cast members dancing around to get the party started!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-585.jpg

Maddie was so cute...she was afraid of the loud music and noises, although she really wanted to stay, so she put a blanket over her head and did "earmuffs" for most of the party! She had a great time though!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-586.jpg

Too loud!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-587.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-588.jpg

Waiting for the party to start!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-589.jpg

The show started and the characters came out and danced along to the music!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-590.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-593.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-594.jpg

Maddie was enthralled enough to peep out from her blanket at times. She put it back on for the fireworks though!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-598.jpg

Here's a cute video I have of the characters dancing and us at the Pirate Party:

It was fun, and lots of people (mostly kids) were dancing. But where was Mickey?

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-600.jpg

He was making his grand entrance!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-601.jpg

The minute he zip lined down to the stage, the fireworks started!!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-603.jpg

It's hard to capture fireworks on camera so I have a short video of Mickey's grand entrance and the beginning of the fireworks. They were great! Short, but it's a cruise, and I never expected to see fireworks on a cruise!

And here's a video of the fireworks finale. The party keeps going with music and dancing!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-607.jpg

I don't remember when the party actually ended but we headed back down to change into more comfortable clothes before heading to the special pirate midnight buffet (it was earlier than midnight, I just call it that because that's what I thought these things are usually called)/ Before we headed down, we brought some laundry to the laundry room which was on the starboard side of Deck 6. It was actually empty when we were there, so it was a good time to do it. We put 2 loads in to wash and headed up to enjoy the buffet.

Heading to Cabana's for the pirate's buffet:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-609.jpg

Fish are friends, not food!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-608.jpg

Cabanas was set up with pirate decor to fit the theme:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-610.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-611.jpg

There were less items than at the regular buffet, and definitely more snack-ish style treats...tacos, nachos, burrittos, baked potato bar, turkey legs, fruit, and lots of desserts, even a crepe station.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-612.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-613.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-614.jpg

The turkey legs are not what you expect...they are baked, not roasted like at the parks, so they didn't have that nice crusty exterior...so they were kinda meh.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-615.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-616.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-617.jpg

We weren't super hungry, but we went more to check it out than to eat. I may have eaten a nutella crepe though...:cool2:

We headed back down and put the wash in the dryer before heading back to the stateroom. DH stayed awake to pick the wash up while I slowly dozed of...zzzzzz

We were pooped after our long day and a party all night! But we got a good night's sleep for tomorrow...Castaway Cay!! The beach is calling...stay tuned...

Last edited:
The Pirate's Party sounds like so much fun. I had no idea Mickey zip-lines down! How cool! I can't imagine seeing fireworks on a cruise ship, that would be such a cool experience.

Oh my gosh, a nutella crepe?! YES PLEASE!!! :thumbsup2

I'm so glad I found another one of your great trip reports. I have always loved reading them in the past, so I got really excited when I found it today!! I absolutely loved your pirate costume, and your niece is so cute!!! I can't wait to hear more about the cruise, in the mean time I'm going to start the DW portion of your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter