• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chunkymonkey and Chubbyhubby's MAGICal 1st Disney Cruise - a May 2015 Trip Report! COMPLETED

Nassau Bahamas Day Part 1: Tru Bahamian Food Tour part 1

It was a beautiful morning the day we docked at Nassau. Since DH and I have already been to Bahamas before and even stayed at the Atlantis, we decided to do something different. I had booked Steve and I a food tour called Bites of Nassau Food Tour by Tru Bahamian, which is a 3.5 hour walking tour that took us to both culinary and historical sites around downtown Nassau. We saw the reviews on Tripadvisor and thought it would be fun to do. I normally don't do tours unless it involves eating or drinking :)

Everyone else didn't really have a plan, especially since Steve's dad is limited in walking for long periods of time, therefore a walking tour wouldn't be ideal for him. They decided to take a look at some of the offerings at the Port Adventures desk later.

Our tour didn't leave until 11am and we had docked by 8am. We used the morning to just chill and have some breakfast at Cabanas as usual. We always got a table by the window so we could have a nice view. Today there were many other ships docked in Nassau as well.

emUUrpVNNlR4pgvtjaJ190FmAMvB-68K9juH3oB0MxMw=w965-h643-no

At around 9:45 or so we decided to leave the ship and walk around Nassau before our tour was to begin. So we made our way down the gangway and out onto the dock. There are some very nice views of Atlantis near the dock area.

T5Zq6tt-wAaFgmJB3fCAN_0LGGzzf_khxg2FgNnEgHu8=w965-h643-no

Nothing beats a Disney ship though!

vr40YeBPDL30kBuYNksAY39JS33KHmyaKnFXjkBaW5bd=w858-h643-no

The area right at port to enter the city is packed with many vendors and some restaurants.

NwRKm2RMgyz6S6mMtKZzqZw-HZMmVGmM3qBXuvkUpl7y=w400-h599-no

We walked by what looked like the city hall. I love how buildings in the Bahamas are pink and pastel-colored. We walked around and enjoyed the sights of the downtown area.

sQQEfeGsNRlwK2XyKTR4eZPUGJ2jO_w6_scEd7clLhtU=w899-h599-no

Found a Starbucks! It was packed, lol.

iP9ErAezzoQY9HyjJwZgnvjkHM-KtbrqLbP6_xK3dQvC=w400-h599-no

I always like to notice what special offerings Starbucks in different countries have. Here they had a guava yogurt frappe and a coconut almond coffee. Interesting! I didn't get it as I got my usual latte.

eORPGdTTIuuV1Jtwd3Nn_UkM80mzKxMqjhEjMZHVAkLI=w899-h599-no

The buildings around the main drag are littered with jewelry shops, and designer duty free. Everyone is trying to get you to come into their store. Remember to look at the map from the ship...there are some coupons in there, and I scored a free silver bracelet from a jewelry store! They just gave it to me and i didn't even have to buy anything.

JXVZSd5CZb5vH1YDF6Bury39TrPef8I9onQBLDI_ww9y=w899-h599-no

Our tour was set to meet at a church which is just off of the main drag. It's around the corner from this ice cream parlor:

sE50_vUbsasV7IrQo6S0pqlmQsb2i_b9BDFp9Fx_AeE9=w899-h599-no

Here was the meeting point of our tour:

J3c6k5AGA2wBOKi8Xf3ZBuvBvfQB0j-6YTMh1fgNy7QJ=w899-h599-no

We checked in and met our lovely guide, Alanna. She was really very good, very informative and passionate about her culture and food in the Bahamas. She handed us a tour map with the locations we were stopping at.

After everyone was checked in, we walked a few blocks away to our first stop, Bahamian Cooking Restaurant. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves since I guess it was rather early for lunch.

ZBREf3Hrw-WR06-_uB_PzMJwMJthi0r1x3ga5-0CUwLG=w899-h599-no

Some interesting things about the restaurant, the curtains are handmade on another Bahamian island, I think Eleuthera...and the masks you see behind me in the picture below are used in the annual Junkanoo parade which is a big celebration the day after Christmas.

j5PI8KBRqjnWSLlbzcudiBHkSm_Q8OzaCEBqbl9nhJU1=w899-h599-no

-azBTrGOY7PgpMeXsMCxdjKnknYQ_W4HbeIe9GYizxIY=w400-h599-no

I met someone else from the DisBoards here! It's funny because we had both responded to a thread on the cruise line forum about this particular tour. We had a great chat, it's fun to meet other Dis-ers!!

Alanna explained the different foods we would be trying. Here's what we ate:

The ubiquitous conch fritters, a Caribbean staple. Tender chunks of conch are put in a batter and dropped into hot oil. This version was really tasty, with great seasoning in the batter, served hot with a spicy mayo style dipping sauce.

ggTX8jhMcyCasImG8uU4s_cM7rwbr7O59AjvjZBM4skW=w899-h599-no

NsxMrK2FMp_l-pJj6hRwk0LKyxG5lCNx9yhvwtKn1jh9=w899-h599-no

Next we had a plate of steam chicken (basically stewed chicken), rice n peas, mac n cheese, coleslaw, and fried plantains:

fgiW2krlUKBArJwhejPAG2zpeLz6ikX4_QUobt38UxUn=w899-h599-no

It was delicious! The chicken was tender and falling off the bone. The rice and peas are definitely more flavorful than others that I've had, and the mac n cheese is made differently than in the US...has a more denser shape, and not swimming in sauce. It is made with evaporated milk and eggs as well as cheese which binds it all together. If you've ever had noodle kugel, it has the same structure as that.

While we were eating Alanna told us some more interesting history of the food and of the Bahamas.

Before we departed, we got a cup of refreshing cold switcha which is a Bahamian limeade. It was really good and perfect for the hot weather!

6mC6Iue5cVoN7FJK1aT0yjiFck4La8d0Q8sYYxh8eMJ-=w899-h599-no

We then walked over to our next destination, the 5-star Graycliff Hotel. In between we passed by some buildings of interest which Alanna pointed out along the way.

pH2vA5pyA0tQC_pizzOoxFQ4OSB1bPB63B2oPVQrGpID=w899-h599-no

Beautiful flowers in the Bahamas!

XUKDLSyOnj2uV0aXGqUC8cAyOQShMVL-30VcAF28d-dn=w899-h599-no

I love this doorway:

EAEN4Iz_dBJ9fca2ZapLu_EIcuuExm16SaSMrTD4lOwv=w400-h599-no

After a 10 minute walk, we were at the Graycliff. It's a Bahamian institution for fine dining and 4-star service.

wVJf-7_ZS428_mtQJno2v7cZbGnNCp_HruPc_pEWcr48=w899-h599-no

Historical old world interior:

36taEvrCUWesoH1f9tKyGOh-aeXTqgghJFX0IEqIwrV9=w899-h599-no

Beautiful room in the Graycliff - so pretty for afternoon tea.

Ts5u45l63Mr3uaECIfuOT3LrKYxq_GZxwj1lz1Bq-tUT=w899-h599-no

The mozaic-tile pool at the Graycliff looked so inviting...it was a really hot day in Nassau! Wish swimming was part of the tour!

I6xyIjIBoYGwq3sRdlD1UhI_ChKL6ZNOlKuhfwvCO5Kv=w899-h599-no

Our destination was the specialty cigar humidor:

y7S2-XV_WCu8mKBAbKAK39L050tuSr7Wm8DTOpQvHnRe=w400-h599-no

They handroll cigars here. Pretty neat!

94MfUbKHuLuM3kYmK9Ujq78QZEUzicEgay1b0FkkORrX=w400-h599-no

The humidor/bar area had a seating section for us to do our tasting. We had a choice of Bahamian beer, called Sands, or a special ice tea made with local flowers.

E6fPYJqwLKDR1a3utLbelm5ZfUPI-tE2iAagNJ6Aavsk=w899-h599-no

DH and I chose the beer. It's designed to be a refreshing beer, perfect for hot days like today.

IgZMl6RhOBJ8PvUHzs-pILxs7qoBWkeGtqRlrY-3Vyaf=w899-h599-no

Next stop was the famous Graycliff Chocolatier. One of the chefs from Top Chef Desserts is the head chocolatier here.

kDc1dyxJURN4bDX2JzAx1Aat3-vqGg4LV2FJwKBtfwaF=w899-h599-no

Our tasting here consisted of a green key-lime chocolate, and the colorful salted caramel chocolate. All chocolates are hand made and hand painted. They were so beautiful.

c7QJCq3x1pXJlpwhC2RXIONA40Y1TggwCMWcjTyQWeSV=w899-h599-no

Key lime white chocolate. This was very good!

w8md8O82wlkPxhiUq7K3gnX7uSO4vY5Ki9iLjP4K-xVp=w899-h599-no

The salted caramel was my favorite. It was salty-caramel-y goodness...I loved it!

OAzuCo6_bTjID5keFAz6kdq7SuniL7q6NP6rtmsVI2gt=w899-h599-no

We hung out enjoying the a/c for a little longer before we moved on to our next stop. Note that since the tour follows a schedule, depending on how much time we had at each stop, you could make purchases if you wish, however it is not guaranteed. You could always come back after your tour is over but it may mean a bit of a walk since the tour doesn't start and end at the same spot.

Coming up, more Bites of Nassau!

Last edited:
Pre-Embarkation Day:

We flew down on Jetblue from Newark airport to Orlando the day before the cruise. Our flight was short and sweet. I love direct flights!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-3.jpg

I had booked us 3 rooms as the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport. 2 of the rooms were "free" as Steve and I both have the Hyatt visa credit card so we get an annual free night. This was a good way to use the free night as rates were hovering around the 180 USD range...fine for a deluxe resort but not an airport hotel. We booked the 3rd room with a refundable rate and we were set! We were all going to meet up at the Hyatt. We arrived first, with Mike, Sandy and Maddie arriving from San Jose later in the day and Steve's parents and other brother flying in from the Los Angeles area that night.

Our room at the Hyatt:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-14.jpg

Here's an interesting little video about the Hyatt Orlando Airport I recorded with the time lapse setting on my new camera (Canon GX7). I didn't even know I recorded it because I had it accidentally on that setting, but it's pretty cool so I'll probably have to learn how to use it!

Orlando airport has many shops and a large food court, so it wasn't boring to spend the night there. We ate at my favorite fast food place, Chick-fil-a and shopped around the Disney stores. It's a good place to get some last minute shopping for Disney items you may want to have on your Walt Disney World trip! We used the pool and it was nice to enjoy the warm Florida air.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-24.jpg

Pretty soon, Steve's brother Mike, his wife, Sandy, and our niece, Maddie, joined us! Yay!!

Fun with our niece, Maddie, at the airport:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-28.jpg"

Maddie loved the Disney stores!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-34.jpg

Fun with Maddie in our room! Miss you Maddie!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-25.jpg

We all had dinner in the food court and we ate ice cream from Carvel, which apparently is popular on the east coast, but the west coasters hadn't hear of Carvel! It's funny to me since Carvel was so popular when I was growing up...whoever had the Carvel ice cream cake for their birthday was COOOL.

I gifted everyone with some Disney t-shirts...they liked them!

My sister-in-law, Sandy, had gifted us with a tote bag of t-shirts and cruise necessities. It was so sweet that I didn't tell her I had already packed most of the items. LOL. In any case, we actually ran out of some items (like sunscreen!) so we were grateful for the thoughtful stuff. And the tote bag is super cute and I like that it has a zipper too!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-52.jpg

Unfortunately Steve's parents and other brother, Jimmy, were delayed en route and their connecting flight left without them. They had to spend the night in Dallas, luckily paid for by the airline. They were to catch the first flight to Orlando the next morning and meet us at the Hyatt. Luckily as well, the Hyatt did not charge us for cancelling our reservation for the 3rd room with such short notice. Thanks Hyatt!

A note about Steve's dad: he's had a rough year. First he had a major open heart surgery last year, and seemed on the road to recovering well, but earlier this year he had a fall and suffered a stroke, we weren't sure he would make the trip but we were all crossing our fingers. Besides, I can't think of anything more relaxing than a cruise! He's had a ton of rehabilitation treatment and physical theraphy over the past few months. When we last saw him in February it was just after his fall and he couldn't walk and was having trouble doing mundane things, like eating with a fork and remembering the days of the week. When we saw him in May it was like night and day. He was walking on his own (although slowly and sometimes assisted), but he was able to do most things himself. Yay for dad!!

Needless to say, we were all worried about him but he's a trooper and they arrived early the next day, albeit very tired since they caught a 5:30am flight to make it to Orlando. Plus with the time difference, it was like the middle of the night for them!

Embarkation Day!

We woke up early to meet the parents who had flown in at 7am.Here was my embarkation outfit:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-56.jpg

For breakfast I shared a breakfast bowl with DH from Panda Express. It was actually really good!

The day of departure, I had set up a private van service from Happy Limo to take all 8 of us to Cape Canaveral. This was a better option than paying for the Disney transportation as it is much cheaper for larger groups like ours. I paid I think about 155 each way for 8 of us, which would have cost 280 on the Disney buses. I also had a code from Mousesavers which saved us a few bucks too!

At 11:00am, our own private van picked us up from our hotel, and even included a grocery stop along the way. We were very happy (no pun intended) with Happy Limo and would use them again in the future. At the grocery store, we bought some snacks and a bottle of wine and we were ready!

All of us in the van, minus dad who was in the front passenger seat:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-63.jpg

As we approached Cape Canaveral, the first sight of the Disney Magic is amazing!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-68.jpg

At Disney's dedicated port at Cape Canaveral we went through a basic security screening (like TSA) and check-in for the cruise. Since we all completed online check-in and filled in all our forms, we were all pretty much ready to go as soon as we received our KTTW cards. They had even already called our boarding number when we arrived. We saw some characters while at the terminal but we didn't stop to take a picture...the line was a bit long and we knew there would be opportunities on board, plus we were too excited to stop!

We all kind of split up at this point, to meet again either at lunch or dinner since everyone had a separate reservation and were still working out their boarding times.

The Chunkies are eady to board!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-72.jpg

Here's the door to board the gangway to the boat. Love the Mickey ears!!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-73.jpg

Almost there!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-76.jpg

Here's a little video I shot of us at the terminal approaching the entrance:

The ship is quite massive, with 11 decks. I am really impressed with the look of the Disney Ships. They look so stately and elegant. I much prefer their colors of navy, red, and gold, over the regular white which other cruise ships seem to favor. Before we boarded, our picture was taken and then you are free to walk up the gangway into the ship.

View from the gangway:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-77.jpg

First glimpse of the lobby atrium:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-80.jpg

Video of us boarding the cruise ship including welcome announcement:

The lobby atrium was spacious and airy and decorated in neutral woods with lots of Disney charm:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-82.jpg

Love all the subtle details in the decor.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-725.jpg

Porthole windows. Love the round shape!

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-87.jpg

Lobby Atrium as seen from upper deck. (Deck 4)

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-727.jpg

The mid ship elevators were adorned with Mickey ears.

Disney%2BMagic%2B1.jpg

Since the staterooms were not ready until about 1:30pm, we used the time when we boarded (which was around 12:30pm) to make some reservations: Meet-n-greet for Anna and Elsa, as well as the Princess gathering. Most characters don't require tickets but since these are popular events, tickets from the Port Adventures desk are required.

Posing with Captain Mickey:

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-86.jpg

Our dining rotation was: LACLA which is code for Lumiere's, Animator's Palate, Carioca's, Lumiere's, Animators Palate. Seemed fine with us since we had never dined at any of these places before!

We decided to grab lunch while waiting for our stateroom to be ready. Cabanas is a buffet restaurant located on Deck 9 aft. We were pleasantly surprised at the offerings for lunch, which included lots of shrimp cocktail and stone crab claws.

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-95.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-97.jpg

Disney%2BMagic%2B2015-98.jpg

We were happy with the variety of foods. Cabanas was crowded but not overwhelming so. We had a small carry on so we stopped by the room after lunch, and the room was ready! I'll show you our staterooms in my next post.

It was an excellent start to our trip and our boat hadn't even set sail yet! Coming up, I will show your our lovely stateroom and we set sail aboard the Disney Magic!!

The food tour looks awesome :love:! At first we were looking at cruises on the Dream, so I was considering "the bites of Nassau" tour.

Wow, that tour sounds amazing! I loved my time in the Bahamas when I was there on my last cruise. I hope I can get back again soon. Cruises are the best because you can stuff so many great places into one amazing vacation :cloud9:

Great trip report and beautiful photos :)

Thank you very much and welcome!

The food tour looks awesome :love:! At first we were looking at cruises on the Dream, so I was considering "the bites of Nassau" tour.

It's a really good tour...it's a little bit of food and history all thrown into one...we definitely knew a lot more about the Bahamas and it's quite interesting!

Great update!

Thank you!!

Wow, that tour sounds amazing! I loved my time in the Bahamas when I was there on my last cruise. I hope I can get back again soon. Cruises are the best because you can stuff so many great places into one amazing vacation :cloud9:

It was a great tour! And I only mentioned the first part of it! We had several more stops to make before the tour was over! Cruises are actually really fun and I'm learning to appreciate the cruising lifestyle even though I hadn't thought much about it before!

Nassau Bahamas Day Part 2: Tru Bahamian Food Tour part 2

When we last left off, we were departing the Graycliff hotel where we sampled local Bahamian beer and delectable house made chocolates. We continued to walk around the town and passed by some important political buildings. This was probably the only "hill" we had to navigate.

I think this building was...parliament house? I honestly cannot remember because it was really hot at this point and I was standing in the shade fanning myself.

rQH3A_I41tjcxlBERYFugyctHbvfwCyiVsQv4Gf4V6RD=w1003-h668-no

We walked around some more and came to a well-known Dutch-Bahamian restaurant, Van Breugels.

KvTv_0vCWa_HaT9fiGjRor1Zcpf86CsmdcaFT8LFkDwI=w446-h668-no

The decor inside the restaurant was quaint and reminisce of a colonized era.

suSRZH35SisNkbMZqpE0tqHNQLmnoQE76GrvRWeR8WII=w446-h668-no

We went upstairs to a private room which had a/c thank goodness. I think we were all really sweaty and hot at this point. Luckily, at almost every stop we were provided with ice water to drink.

bD52MIyN2AXF9-ZS5lTEuN2aZdiiMUJc4P6OCw7v06zu=w1003-h668-no

Our tasting here was a mash-up of sorts. A Bahamian conch chowder but flavored with Thai-style spices with European technique. It was a delicious chowder, with a creaminess from the fresh coconut milk, and a kick from the curry spices.

nWAVwrq39XSEwYT1qx7snao58-v51Zp5M_XoCginERfE=w1003-h668-no

Large chunks of conch were in the chowder along with potatoes and carrots to round it out. I've heard this soup voted as one of the best on the island!

OOk3GS6FJBdCPllXDJwWhU4QbWj0GzpCB4CIYnf_1rcO=w1003-h668-no

After Van Breugels, we continued on our way...

iVkecBT6Q3Oa8oHKQ_AmQ04A9QUkqIMB2F5PQMBvZZzw=w1003-h668-no

We walked down closer to the main tourist drag, and went to a small shopping enclave off the main street. Here was Pure Caribbean Spices and Tea, our next stop.

B9JacYpstbmMsVnrKSajGuPVXSSDzm02KeQcgx7ZfbAS=w1003-h668-no

This was a small storefront that sold locally made items. All the sauces, teas, spices, sea salt, etc. are all locally made or sourced from the islands of the Bahamas. We tasted several types of hot sauce and sampled some tea.

26J_X_Eaafi9PQCJ8VPk6enUFUdiSihMgnhNAe1HUncM=w1003-h668-no

5it-nS2Hnj1IxsJAtNzYwHtIS4wMwUYPwpW56B9e7CRK=w1003-h668-no

maJSv4ZE5Yy0cKYeApcidwPxN1BHVEyM0dnHogC6yivJ=w1003-h668-no

The sauces were good! We had time to shop a little bit so Steve and I purchased a few bottles of sauce to take home. It was a fun stop!

Next stop was an interesting one...who knew there was quite a significant population of Greeks on the Bahamas? Well they is, and the Athena Cafe is one of the most popular Greek restaurants in Nassau. I's actually located upstairs inside a jewelry store (same owner!) on the main touristy street in Nassau .

5dyCDMPDxtKyC-vYSPDFdR5qw51Erj8aSveAExCjSt3o=w1003-h668-no

It was quite busy when we arrived, and we were led to the bar area where all of us just managed to fit around the circular bar.

dKlO9Zby9q_-DvVQqgTlnwtzLEZHfwf-JF-NWwCgP9Vy=w1003-h668-no

The bar was pretty cool because it had a see-through glass top that had a beach motif.

2nrIelbICpwcjLu3WmnZQJ85j6a6nE5dySTYSHEHX2-x=w1003-h668-no

Our sampling at this stop...fresh Greek salad made with produce grown at the owner's home. The feta is imported from greece, and the pita is house-made. It was a very good Greek salad!

W6Y9vCUXozxH6zg6JKTGlltkCRzbziQnzo5X5kdc3Tmx=w1003-h668-no

I thought the lettuces were fresh and crisp, and the dressing was good, not TOO pucker-inducing!

Our next and final stop was the popular Tortuga Rum cake shop for a sweet bite of the day.

nDZJkSdVK62NQ7z3HEN5Ql5HnEbDi4URG0rgsiIM7ohe=w446-h668-no

wJni7s8Rs9hRdDA6-iwT3QLoyagxqvVVGGvd_bzFyUsT=w446-h668-no

Sorry I can't seem to find a picture of the sample we had, but it was basically a large piece of the vanilla rum cake.

If you like vanilla cake or pound cake, you'll love this cake! The alcohol is actually burned off in the cooking process so there really isn't anything to make you tipsy in it. We were given a history of how the cake came about and then since the tour was essentially over, we were able to shop for anything! In addition they also sold the rum used in the cakes (although the cakes outsell the rum by a mile). We purchased a small rum cake, and they threw in a box of tea for free. Yay!

We tipped and thanked Alanna for her great tour. I do highly recommend this tour for something a little different and very informative. You will also be fed well! You do have to be prepared to walk a bit, not a huge distance, but know you'll be walking in the sun, and it's hot. Definitely bring some water and wear comfy shoes!

Before we left we asked Alanna where we could get some good conch salad near the port. She gave us a recommendation for Lukka Kairi, a restaurant with nice views...or she said we could look out for a fisherman who was by the ports who sometimes sells conch salad out of his boat.

We walked back to the port, which was quite close to our last tour stop, and saw the Lukka Kairi restaurant immediately so we decided to go there.

O5Oezu_9hZDSCqc6ikdoQRFvs-dLnEfVnUG3dB1Xda4K=w1003-h668-no

The restaurant is really quite nice, with breezy bright interiors, a huge bar, and fantastic view. It has an upscale vibe and definitely felt like a good place to have a meal if we were on the island longer.

Bar at Lukka Kairi:

fNUc6KM9DttvW_Cc5XtDAMrtjQ6jPIATIDtGMbSZhfVF=w1003-h668-no

I tried something called Sky Juice and DH got a Bahama mama (I think). My sky juice is basically gin mixed with condensed and evaporated milk, spices, and served over ice.

PiOo3tedi3Bpl4W4xFkO1Dv4WG65t1C2AxxSHs1NEKJL=w429-h643-no

It reminded me of egg nog but with a thinner consistency...it was good! Although a little too sweet for my taste so I had to wait a while for the ice to melt before finishing it.

DH's drink:

2eyB8FUYPjThWu5Lxf7T6iXvMWQkuCRazCFtFeMg4scD=w446-h668-no

We got what we came here for: a conch salad! Fresh conch is cut up and served with onions, peppers, hot scotch bonnets, and citrus juice. Like a Bahamian ceviche! We've had it before back at Potter's Cay when we visited the Bahamas more than 10 years ago, but it was no where as nicely presented as this version (and quite possibly not as sanitary but we were younger and had stronger stomachs back then)

OgtGRNdaNssptZhBdjx8FkL9L2fgyJqZCb3ON909Gh48=w1003-h668-no

I love the presentation in the conch shell! It was served with fried plantain chips. It was delicious!

By now we were tired and needed to escape from the sun...we had to rest up for tonight's pirates festivities! We headed back to the ship. We didn't have any idea where everyone else was so we figured they had gone out to walk around or do a tour of their own.

Here's a nice view of Atlantis as we walked back to the ship:

1eTq1QnEFaILfGOjnsG-XLP45Wvo7ea0ykoKWknDakZu=w891-h668-no

Waiting for us in our stateroom was our pirate bandanas! Pirate Night...we're ready for ya!

TDRJCTwtpplwu7oJADUZK9F0SRsZxTMa39nazYpJmJmE=w1003-h668-no

Coming up...the Pirate Party!

Last edited:
Loving your trip report! Food tours are one of my favorite ways to explore a new place - but not many allow children, so we will have to wait a bit longer (or go on more adult-only trips) before we can go again.

Loving your trip report! Food tours are one of my favorite ways to explore a new place - but not many allow children, so we will have to wait a bit longer (or go on more adult-only trips) before we can go again.

Thank you!! I didn't realize that most food tours don't allow kids but looking back now I guess there weren't any kids on our tour! But they probably wouldn't have had a good time...even with the stops, it was about 3.5 hours long and we had to walk in the heat.

Yes...I want to go back on the cruise so badly! We actually booked another for Feb 2016 using the onboard discount...and I'm trying to recruit family and friends to go, but so far, there is no one biting, plus Feb is so far away!!! Actually it is 267 days to be exact...so I guess it is sooner than 289 days! How did you get over your depression? For me writing this TR is therapeutic!

I think I've literally been on the DISboards daily reading everyone's TR's and that's helped with my blues! How exciting that you booked another cruise for February!! Is it back on the Magic? Hope you write another TR so I can get excited for our March trip, I love all of your pics and your writing!

Was Animator's Palate your favorite restaurant? It seems like more fun than the one on the Dream! Your servers were awesome, we were also lucky to have amazing servers on our cruise!! Do you know if Sorcerer Mickey comes out at every dinner at Animator's? I am obsessed with Mickey in every form!! I had a picture taken with Captain Mickey and Pirate Mickey when we were on our last cruise!

Nassau Bahamas Day Part 3: Pirates in the Caribbean!

I've never really been into the whole costume thing - I think as an adult I've only dressed up twice - both times as a diva fairy (really the easiest costume because you just wear a fancy dress, a boa, carry a wand, and scoff at granting wishes unless you get someone to fan you) and that was because I HAD to for a birthday party. Our wedding day also just happens to be November 1st...so we're usually traveling somewhere on Halloween so we can celebrate our anniversary someplace exotic (World Showcase counts as exotic right? LOL. Actually we've been to WDW and Hawaii mostly, and Bali last year).

When I heard we were having a Pirate Party on board the cruise, I said, a-ha!, I have the PERFECT dress. I really did. I have a dress which actually looks like something a pirate would wear (a frilly, female pirate). So our outfits were kinda built around that dress. In all honestly, I have not actually worn the dress out in real life yet. It's white silk and kinda delicate, so I was just waiting for the right occasion. I guess a Pirate Party on the Disney Magic was it.

I bought some Pirate accessories from Amazon.com. I didn't spend a lot of money either. I think I spent less than 30 dollars on everything including a red sash, vest, eye patch, pirate belt, and a bunch of fake daggers and a toy gun. The gun even made a noise when you pulled the trigger! All of our outfits including accessories actually fit in a large ziploc bag. I would hate to use up so much luggage space on an outfit I'd wear once so I was happy.

For DH, I took an old white t-shirt of his and cut it up so that the edges were raggedy. We were ready. Our first costume in about a decade! I hope it looked ok. I have seen some pretty cool costumes for Pirate Night - but I just didn't have the room to pack anything more elaborate! Here we are in our pirate outfits!

6WSj9IJ0QDgoKdjtk7nAHJySMCQD6MNgpQNxwluI3OeU=w446-h668-no

It was hard to get a full length picture of us but I sort of managed. Here's DH's full outfit:

Lh8RAZgmsKI2mnvvFsym7w5g_InSwfjJmkifYncFBmFd=w557-h835-no

DH didn't really bother with proper shoes or pants...so instead of a head pirate he can be a pirate deck hand.

LnuN-5SA4czybFeXAAl_xqWrRpo1aPACsvih4J_yL3zM=w557-h835-no

If I had to wear the dress in real-life I'd honestly just take out the laces at the bodice of the dress.

Tonight's dinner was back at Lumiere's, although our menu was different than the first night. All the castmembers were dressed in pirate themed outfits. Here's me with Zsolt, our main server:

cZMlAg_7rJlEy7teeft74t-uTyduT-N2rT-E77RtVVwV=w970-h646-no

Maddie dressed up too! She was adorable in her pirate tutu! She was giving her best pirate "Garrrgh!"

s3CalvmOgfMbBOMY5X6T4P0xWTzRFeVzabnq-i_zSnRZ=w970-h646-no

Her full outfit below:

YxN-s0P4tzrIaMQlFBAh0tZMny13zWy2a8KvbWFZ687x=w485-h646-no

Mike and Sandy looked the part too!

y80FUayEEnTidkH26mvqITndfHdJ8PsfLZwulXd1yAdk=w970-h646-no

Mom and Dad didn't have outfits but Gerado kindly lent them his Mexican pirate look.

pbley_L_pWIlRuwNGonxK2bmS7Cw-NSvu9HW4kt9rddn=w824-h618-no

Jimmy pulled the look off well!

pDzhuoT54eV-sygCWu-Thbit6bXDuGsomg8zlcvN7Trz=w824-h618-no

DH looks a bit too comfortable with this look:

hXiD_6w8MzFBSOgLpgsF7Yy7BlXoIhN3SYqfhgEa1f4Z=w631-h841-no

Maddie and I had a good time playing pirate selfie!!

1XDAp49_3ObbkM31SlOFkOODxRd6AnnflLntiNmaRFO-=w631-h841-no

For dinner, I started with the pineapple with a citrus dressing. I really do love pineapple! It had a citrusy dressing and a coconut crusted piece of banana. It's like a deconstructed pina colada!

XV8SavFK1cWZB2f-LRUHi8w88-3JTfbE8VBqAfXqs72_=w970-h646-no

Then I got the potstickers

gGtetIfnLH0S0zQ6wkxpDfAYytsIr_MNsclWTKiCX1J0=w970-h646-no

For an entree I got a seafood pasta. It had good flavor but I thought the pasta was not as al dente as I'd like it to be.

b4PPhbn6DLltRLjiit1vsvrY46rti7k4Dtk7OxXRUV7P=w970-h646-no

I can't remember what DH got as appetizers but he got the macadamia crusted mahi mahi. It was pretty decent, but we've had this dish many times on trips to Hawaii (you'll see it everywhere!) and so we've been a bit spoiled at having fresh island-caught mahi with locally grown mac nuts.

8PY0XpghaoayIvPn6Q4C5sNTE48HKlbV29ijtMvmM4VL=w970-h646-no

Our servers put on another show for us! Music started, flags were waving, and they were all marching around.

LDX-6cJ8hrHNtmQqpSNBoVCApsvUbzUvtMQmdcoRjmFG=w862-h646-no

I realize I don't really have a picture inside of Lumiere's yet...so here it is. Aside from the Beauty and the Beast-themed mural in the back, it looks just like a traditional wedding banquet hall.

GL8jdQi1HYJXzoXr9FaahSQX3ucJXpxybVddmANryJl-=w862-h646-no

There was even a conga line started!! Here's a video of me and DH joining in the party...this only happens at Disney...

I ran out before dessert was served to wait on line for Pirate Mickey. He was definitely very popular tonight and his line was long. I don't even remember what I ordered for dessert, but after DH ate dessert, he came out and took my place while I ran back in to eat a few bites of dessert and chug some coffee. Then all of us came back out to wait on line together. The pictures came out well!

w8PixszUwb8M52uoLlm6szNNpMOvj3OpP9BBdoFxyCte=w485-h646-no

2pLSfaT7HD_-1X0XNDG859cUt_4kpcQmSAdKgG4ka5sM=w862-h646-no

We also ran into Pirate Chip n Dale! They are so cute!

_obmXw5NGQPpmVslHTQRITIzSFMYwiuNL0GKGlJCNn5Q=w862-h646-no

There wasn't a big show tonight, but there was a magician - I think DH and Jimmy went to check it out, while I went back to the stateroom to rest a bit before the party!

Here's tonight's towel animal!

BimbMbvvJFF35Srn8sCnsdfbkeCjuvUt6E6Nz-qEYb5j=w862-h646-no

Coming up...the Pirate Deck Party!!

Last edited:
Great update about pirate night!

I can't remember what DH got as appetizers but he got the macadamia crusted mahi mahi. It was pretty decent, but we've had this dish many times on trips to Hawaii (you'll see it everywhere!) and so we've been a bit spoiled at having fresh island-caught mahi with locally grown mac nuts.

I had this on our cruise night I think last summer. I kind of agree. It was pretty good, but I think it sounded so good that it didn't quite live up to what I thought it would. It wasn't bad, just wasn't awesome either!

I think I've literally been on the DISboards daily reading everyone's TR's and that's helped with my blues! How exciting that you booked another cruise for February!! Is it back on the Magic? Hope you write another TR so I can get excited for our March trip, I love all of your pics and your writing!

Was Animator's Palate your favorite restaurant? It seems like more fun than the one on the Dream! Your servers were awesome, we were also lucky to have amazing servers on our cruise!! Do you know if Sorcerer Mickey comes out at every dinner at Animator's? I am obsessed with Mickey in every form!! I had a picture taken with Captain Mickey and Pirate Mickey when we were on our last cruise!

Thank you!! Hahaha, reading the Disboards...that is me all the time now! I go through periods where I don't have time for the Dis but right now I don't have time for anything else because i'm writing 2 TRs!

Our new cruise is on the Fantasy...it is the Star Wars Day at see on Feb 20th...I booked it because we love star wars and were just in WDW for Star Wars weekend, it was awesome! I kinda booked it not knowing if we were able to make it, but regardless I just wanted to lock in the onboard discount. I actually am looking at the Magic sailing from NY because it's so close to home! But unfortunately those sailings are blocked from the discounts. Boo. I will definitely do a TR, mostly because I want to preserve the memories from our DCL cruise!

Animators Palate had the best entertainment I thought, yes Sorcerer Mickey ooes come out at the end. We ate there 3 times on the cruise, our rotation was LACLA and our debarkation breakfast was there, but the show was only on the first night we dined there. I'm not sure it had the best food, but it was hard to say which restaurant did. I liked components of each restaurant... the appetizer from Lumiere's, dessert from AP...bread from Carioca's. I honestly just loved being at the restaurants!

Great update about pirate night!

I had this on our cruise night I think last summer. I kind of agree. It was pretty good, but I think it sounded so good that it didn't quite live up to what I thought it would. It wasn't bad, just wasn't awesome either!

Thank you!! Yes, it's actually a good dish, but I've had it where it has been melt-in-your mouth good. Hard to compare with that. But we had a great time during Pirate night!

Love your pirate night look!

Thank you!!

I love your pirate outfits!!!!
That dress was perfect, you did a great job for your hubby too.
Your niece is precious!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter