• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chefs, you let me down

I think there is also a divide in what people expect. The OP is a chef. He expected "screaming with scents and smells" and strong flavors. Others don't expect that - their tastes are a little more bland. I actually think the majority of WDW visitors prefer their food on the bland side, which is the reason it's served that way.

Yeah, on this forum anyway, the "Can an adult order off the kid's menu" and "My children will eat nothing but pressed-meat chicken nuggets" posts outnumber the "I want an authentic French meal" ones.

Don't cancel based on one review on this board...or even several. If the menu looks good, try the place yourself.

I made an ADR there for this Sunday, our first day for this years visit. We ate there once before for lunch a few years and I booked it because the hubs loves duck and I thought it would be woth a try. I am wondering if I should cancel and book another Epcot restaurant. Anyone have an alternative suggestion for me? We are ddp

I'm echoing you not to cancel your reservation based on reviews you read here. Personally, I have been after the husband to go back to Chefs de France because, pedestrian or not, I LOVE that ham and cheese sandwich.

You can look through past threads and you will find every single restaurant will have at least one if not dozens of negative reviews. And you will find every single restaurant will have someone saying "I love this place!"

The only person who can make the determination of if you will like a restaurant is you.

I dont want anyone to follow my opinions. By all means i am not the final word. But, as a pastry chef, baker, i do know what good bread is and the make up of a good desert is. I agree, this is toned (dumbed) down french food. I dare call it french food either as everything is so heavy and overworked. Good french food is created and worked by people who care.

CDF has become somewhere anyone can say they went to eat french food. Its a shame ss i said. I eat here every year. Evrry year i love it. This year they dropped the ball big time.

Like i said it could be because of FnW or due to the meal plan one point dining. I dont know but it will be very hsrd to bring myself back thrre.

We ate at Chefs for lunch a couple of years ago. We have not returned. It is my least favorite WDW restaurant for food, and we have visited many! I studied abroad in Paris and have a really soft spot (ahh, the power of nostalgia!) for bustling brasseries and when I walked into Chefs, I was happy that they had managed to recreated that atmosphere. But, the food was just so average. I can throw together - on a weekday, after work, with hungry kids, in 30 minutes - a better meal than that. Chefs was just so not special. The kids' meals seemed to be the best part of the meal.

Maybe they have off days. Maybe I should try it again. But, with so many options at Epcot and nearby I have not been able to muster up the enthusiasm for it.

My DH & I ate lunch there several weeks ago after not eating there for several years. Although we enjoyed our food (I had the mac 'n cheese and DH had some kind of sandwich) and we both remarked about the bread. It has always been one of our favorite things there but we were disappointed this time with it. We were not on the DP and just had a salad with our entree and no dessert.

I just booked this place for our January trip. We've been wanting to try Chefs for a while now and since we'll be staying at the Beach Club, we wanted to have Epcot area heavy ADRs. We won't mind that it's not true French cuisine. I have some questions though. When folks mention Remy being there...that's the character rat, right? Is he always there? If not, how do I know if he'll be there when we are there (1/26/13)? Also, how well can you see Illuminations from Chefs?

Remy the "fake" rat. Lol. Not real. Yes you can see illuminations if u get window seating.

I just booked this place for our January trip. We've been wanting to try Chefs for a while now and since we'll be staying at the Beach Club, we wanted to have Epcot area heavy ADRs. We won't mind that it's not true French cuisine. I have some questions though. When folks mention Remy being there...that's the character rat, right? Is he always there? If not, how do I know if he'll be there when we are there (1/26/13)? Also, how well can you see Illuminations from Chefs?
This thread should help for timing. An animatronic Remy comes around on a cart several times per day.

Last time at Chefs was March. We liked it! Thought the bread was yummy. And salted butter:cool1: Our server even came over after a little while and replaced our bread with a hot one. He said we needed a fresh one!! LOL! The one we had was all of 15 minutes old!;) I had the onion soup, braised ribs, and cremd brulee....again! All good. The creme brulee is so good it has ruined all other creme brulees for me:rotfl2:!! DH and DS both loved the steak, with sauce on the side. Yes we are one of THOSE people! :goodvibes This is the only place DH requested on our next trip.

ah, sad to hear! chefs de france is one of our must-dos every trip. maybe you went on an off day. we've only ever had good experiences

Us too, we love Chefs... Sad to hear you had a bad experience OP. I agree the DP has killed the quality in some restaurants, which is a shame, but overall I don't think Chefs is bad, we love the escargots there, maybe you went on a off day :(

Our Ratings of Chefs de France: (5/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Chefs is a pleasant French eatery, although most dishes
have been Americanized. The service is a pretty slow and the servers
sometimes inattentive, just like in France. As a middle-priced eatery,
it is well placed. The food is average, except leave the snails to run in
the garden, as the snails they use have been sourced differently and
the quality downgraded. We also thought the cheese plate was very
tasty, but we admit our senses might have been blunted by the copious
amount of vino. We were quite displeased with the entrées, as they
were French-inspired, but not even close to real French (we used to go
to France every four months for business). The atmosphere is good, but
the tables are uncomfortably close to one another. Average American
tastes will like several entrées, but anyone familiar with French cuisine
will be disappointed.

Looks like we'll miss Remy with an 8:30 dining time. My kids are probably too old for that anyway (DDs-13 and DS-15). And we have average American tastes with no real experience with French cuisine, so it should be a good meal for us. I am super excited now! Hurry up January!!

I have to wonder if the par baked bagettes are due to the refurb happening behind the restaurant to the old boulangerie, and the real baked bagettes will return once the new boulangerie opens up?

Ate there a week ago today. Our bread was good, my lobster bisque was good, our filets were good. We enjoyed our meal, probably because our son and his friend were able to join us for the weekend at WDW. Our server was very nice and friendly. Was not a miss for us.

The bread isnt good bread is all im saying about the bread. Its par baked in high quantities. Shame really.

Well, its a value question right? For the price paid for the meal, would you reasonably expect fresh baked or par-baked bread?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter