Changes To Dining Plans May-June 2015

QUICK SERVICE DINING

• Guests may substitute any dessert or non-alcoholic beverage choice with any eligible snack, provided it’s within the same transaction. This means that if you don’t want your quick service chocolate cake, you can substitute it with say a side of french fries.
Would love to know if anyone is successful at substituting BOTH their dessert and drink with any eligible snack? I find for the most part, with a few exceptions such as Sunshine Seasons, the quick service dessert are not as good as some of the snacks that you can get (and with the new option of using a quick service at some locations for 3 snacks) I might need to change my game plan.

Please don't use the board to continue an argument with somebody. This thread is to discuss changes that have been made in the dining plan. I made it a sticky but I can lock it too.

I have to imagine they are going to get very strong negative feedback on this appetizer removal. I would not be surprised to see them reverse this decision at some point in the future.
I understand the frustration. I really do. Unfortunately, I don't have any hope for a reversal, because a number of people will:
1) pay more money to keep the appetizers and upgrade to Premium/Platinum Plans: Disney gains
2) keep the Deluxe Plan and just go without appetizers paying more money for less food and turning tables faster: Disney gains
3) keep the Deluxe Plan and pay for appetizers OOP: Disney gains
The large group of people that downgrade plans or go without and either pay OOP or decide to eat and maybe stay offsite will only hurt Disney's bottom line if they can't fill the resorts and restaurants.

1) pay more money to keep the appetizers and upgrade to Premium/Platinum Plans: Disney gains
DVC doesn't have that option. I see this swaying more DVC members to the TiW discount card. I'm not sure who gains in that scenario.

The Premium/Platinum plans are very intensive with recreation, shows and tours. They are expensive and cut into park time if used to their best value. Plus there's that 3 night package requirement with tickets and if you are on platinum, you must book a deluxe resort. I can't see lots of folks switching over to these just to get appetizers. Most of them will probably either get rid of the plan or downgrade to regular and buy their own appetizers (except for the ones who prefer signature restaurants daily, deluxe will still be the better plan for that)

Thanks for the info on the premium/platinum plans! I didn't know they weren't available for DVC, etc. I knew they were pricy and restrictive/not for everybody, but they're a much more truly all-inclusive plan. I was figuring some more of those once-in-a-lifetimers and big vacation spenders might upgrade to it since the appetizer is still included, but maybe not. I agree more people will likely choose to pay OOP or downgrade than upgrade, but I still think there's a good number of people who will keep the DxDP if that's how they like to eat and in the end the worst Disney expects is a wash.

I understand the frustration. I really do. Unfortunately, I don't have any hope for a reversal, because a number of people will:
2) keep the Deluxe Plan and just go without appetizers paying more money for less food and turning tables faster: Disney gains
The large group of people that downgrade plans or go without and either pay OOP or decide to eat and maybe stay offsite will only hurt Disney's bottom line if they can't fill the resorts and restaurants.

That's a whole lot of "Disney gains" :)

No problem- I vote with my wallet. I won't be getting the deluxe plan for my January trip. In fact- I actually just cancelled my deluxe plan for 2015 (even though it includes apps)- I'm just going to get TiW and not eat lunches at TS restaurants.
Just lost a couple grand from me. Drop in the bucket, but I can't just keep letting "Disney gain" before I start to cut back. :D

Thanks to this thread btw! Helped my decision immensely.

Has Disney ever reversed a dining plan decision? Not being snarky, genuinely curious. I can't think of an example. Seems like...once a benefit disappears, it is gone forever.

I am not a Disney historian in the way some people here are (and others here THINK they are). However, I stand behind what I said. IF they lose costumers, and can determine that this is the reason, then they will reverse the decision. If it turns out it works in their favor, then they wont. Money/profitability is pretty much the determining factor behind what any company does.

I am not predicting a reversal. Simply saying that if this hurts their bottom line, they will. See above post 208. It may end up working in their favor for the reasons you state. But who knows, people reach a breaking point sometimes. If enough do, it will hurt them. Having a deluxe dining plan with no appetizer seems a bit insane to me. I was contemplating buying this plan on my next visit (after this summer's), but this change alone is enough to make me say, nah. I can't be the only one. But who knows, not as many people think things over relative to their trip to the extent that the average Disboard participant does. Perhaps people will still buy this plan in droves.

As far as Disney not typically reversing decisions... Yup. Agreed. But that doesn't mean they won't. Look at Apple and their music service. A pretty surprising turn around on their part. If we would only get Taylor Swift to write and open letter to Disney, too?

With the deluxe not having apps for 2016, what is the difference between that and the regular dining plan? Also, has the new pricing been announced? Sorry can't seem to pull anything up on my phone right now! But this just seems kinda crazy if the price will still be $100+ per person per night. Thanks for the help!

With the deluxe not having apps for 2016, what is the difference between that and the regular dining plan? Also, has the new pricing been announced? Sorry can't seem to pull anything up on my phone right now! But this just seems kinda crazy if the price will still be $100+ per person per night. Thanks for the help!

• Quick Service $42.77/night, child 3-9 $17.54 – was $41.99 and $16.03
  • Regular plan $61.82, child $20.98 – was $60.64 and $19.23
  • Deluxe Plan $111.73, child $32.56 – was $109.53 and $29.86

The deluxe still gives you 3 meals useable at TS or QS and 2 snacks. Regular DDP is 1ts, 1qs, 1 snack.

I would be curious to peruse the Spanish and Portuguese versions of the 2016 document too.

• Quick Service $42.77/night, child 3-9 $17.54 – was $41.99 and $16.03
  • Regular plan $61.82, child $20.98 – was $60.64 and $19.23
  • Deluxe Plan $111.73, child $32.56 – was $109.53 and $29.86

The deluxe still gives you 3 meals useable at TS or QS and 2 snacks. Regular DDP is 1ts, 1qs, 1 snack.
Wow less food and still a price increase? Seems silly. We don't eat dessert often, but eat apps all the time. That's why we loved the dxddp. I think we will stick to TIW from now on. Sad. Even with 3 TS, still doesn't seem like a good deal anymore. Thanks for the help!

Do we have an official source regarding these changes, like a link to the wdw website or the disney official blog?

Do we have an official source regarding these changes, like a link to the wdw website or the disney official blog?
You can check out the official site's 2016 brochures through links here. Nothing on the blog, 2016 brochures are not finalized, and we do not know for sure what changes will be implemented and when.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter