Cashier/bagger comments?

rude!! I would have had some snappy comeback....but probably after I left. ROFL!!! I probably would have said something along the lines of "oh yes, expensive but so worth it for an occasional splurge and I can definitely cook it the "right" way, thanks for your concern" LOL that said, now I want a good steak and shrimp meal! :)

Most of the time we get small talk, no biggie.

Once someone commented on a bakery item I was buying. They mentioned that they loved it but it was too costly for them.

I took no offense because, really, there are much more offensive things in the world. But it did make me feel weird.

I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand)

What is so crappy about Horizon or store brand organic milk? I get both and see nothing crappy about them:confused3 Am I consuming something bad for me?

I got to the register and the bagger was like this, literally :scared1:.....$25, this steak costs $25 :scared1: that's a lot of money (along with a bunch of "wows" and "sheeshs" under his breath) Then the cashier's like, "for that price, I hope you cook them right. That would suck to pay that kind of money and have them turn out wrong" LOL

I would have said. "I didn't notice the price, I only purchase my dogs food here and he doesn't care how I cook it. I do the shopping for our food at the Whole Foods up the street."

I don't since my wife does the grocery shopping. But she has commented to me that at times the baggers/cashier make a comment when she requests paper over plastic, and double bag them, please.

Bob NC said:
I would have said. "I didn't notice the price, I only purchase my dogs food here and he doesn't care how I cook it. I do the shopping for our food at the Whole Foods up the street."

Ok that made me giggle

A comment like that would actually remind me how lucky I am that I could purchase that without it being a hardship, while for others it would be a big expense. I dunno...definitely something they shouldn't say, but I wouldn't be offended. I'd mostly feel sorry that money is tighter for them.

I'd hate to see what they'd do checking someone out who bought steak at Whole Foods. ;)

Now the cashier who commented on the nutrition value of a PP's snack cakes? Ohhhh, heck no! WAY out of line.

DH and I were at our local grocery store looking for some cheese. We could see they had a sign for Manchego, but we couldn't see any. A 20-something worker came over to help us, but was clueless as could be. Then she said, "You like that stuff? I don't like those weird cheeses." Ooooph. Boy, if she thinks Manchego is out there, she has nooooo idea. To this day DH and I will pull that quote out every time we're buying for a cheese tray. But seriously, I'm sure her employer wouldn't appreciate her commentary on products they are trying to sell.

Maybe they don't make much, and have never bought that kind of meat? They might not have been judging, just didn't realize how much meat costs.

I get that all of the time when I buy organic milk. I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand) and almost every single time the cashier says, "Really? $5 for a gallon of milk? That can't be right...sheesh". I just respond saying that the price is correct and I prefer to purchase items without antibiotics, growth hormones, or pesticides. It gets annoying after a while, and surely I'm not the only person they ever ring up that buys organic milk...I don't get it.

That's a good price. I pay $6.99 for a gallon of organic milk.

Social Worker Sue said:
What is so crappy about Horizon or store brand organic milk? I get both and see nothing crappy about them:confused3 Am I consuming something bad for me?

Horizon cows have 'access' to pastures, but they are in a factory farm and don't get out there. Their cows are constantly hooked up to the milking machines - they produce double the national average of milk. When a cow gets sick they just ship it off to slaughter. They are an awful company that shouldn't be allowed to label their products as organic. They are owned by Dean Foods.

It bugs me when they say anything that's negative. I don't mind, "These strawberries sure look good," or, "I love these things," but other types of comments make me uncomfortable.

One time I had to go to CVS to buy pin worm medicine. Pin worms are worms that are in a very private part of your body. (They come out in your bowel movements.) One of my young sons had them, and I treated his naturally with garlic (don't ask what I did with it). The instructions for pin worm treatment said you should treat everyone in the family. I was sure I didn't have them, plus I was pregnant and didn't want to take unneeded treatments, but DH decided to treat himself, and he didn't feel like getting intimate with garlic, so I bought him the regular (oral) medicine.

Well, when I handed the medicine, which was called Anti-Pin Worm Medicine, to the cashier, she said, "What are those?" I was fumbling in my purse and just acted like I hadn't heard her. Then she said, "Well, I never heard of those things." I just ignored her. I know that's rude, but I didn't want to discuss what type of creatures my husband may or may not have in his digestive tract. And no, she couldn't have been commenting on anything else because it was the only thing I bought. Very inappropriate. It's probably a good idea to just never comment on medicines.

It's threads like these that remind me to never comment on people's items I'm ringing up for them. Sometimes I'd like to make small talk over something, but I never know what kind of response I'll get, so I keep my mouth shut.

I work in a home improvement store so it's difficult to say something rude or personal about a box of nails, lol, but I deal with enough rudeness that I don't need someone getting upset with me because I asked what kind of project they were working on!

People are strange, and yes, I have indeed had someone get upset with me because I asked them what kind of project they were working on while they were making a return. In a home improvement store. What I thought was innocent obviously wasn't!! :scared1:

I used to work at a grocery store ( as an adult and in charge of the workers which you refer).

Give them a break!

As long as they aren't talking about how drunk they got the night before, how drunk they want to get tonight, who's cheating with who or who they are cheating with then what do you think they might want to talk about?

The stuff right in front of them. Yes, Unfortunately some people have little common sense.

If you didn't like the comment, go to another cashier next time.

I frequently get comments about the gluten free food I am buying. Most of the time they are asking how it tastes and inquiring about why I need it out of sincere curiosity.

Other times they give me crap for how expensive it is and ask why I would even bother getting that food when the normal stuff is cheaper. I just explain it is for medical reasons but it sure ticks me off.

I have also had one or two customers who were in line with me comment on what I am buying mostly insinuating that I didn't need that food and should be buying healthier stuff that would make me skinnier.

branv said:
A comment like that would actually remind me how lucky I am that I could purchase that without it being a hardship, while for others it would be a big expense. I dunno...definitely something they shouldn't say, but I wouldn't be offended. I'd mostly feel sorry that money is tighter for them.

This. Count yourself lucky that the price was a deal to you, versus something they might consider a splurge.

I don't get making show-off comments back to any service worker about why you buy something that's expensive. Kind of makes me cringe.

I had a cashier once make a comment about the size of jeans I was buying. She was rude and negative and even though I have insane self-esteem, I got to my car and I cried my eyes out.

I SHOULD have just left them there at the counter and walked out AND that made me cry more that I just took it. Very unlike me.

When I got home, I wrote a letter to the store manager about it and to this day, I won't set foot in that store again.

I had a cashier at Walmart get all excited because we bought 100 items and it was the longest receipt she had ever had, that was pretty funny. I've had some ask what I use certain items for, I was on a health kick and had bought some flax seed.

A friend had a bad experience when she was struggling to conceive and was buying an EPT and the cashier got all nosey and excited and was making a big deal over it. It was negative and she never had a 2nd kid, so that really upset her.

It bugs me when they say anything that's negative. I don't mind, "These strawberries sure look good," or, "I love these things," but other types of comments make me uncomfortable.

One time I had to go to CVS to buy pin worm medicine. Pin worms are worms that are in a very private part of your body. (They come out in your bowel movements.) One of my young sons had them, and I treated his naturally with garlic (don't ask what I did with it). The instructions for pin worm treatment said you should treat everyone in the family. I was sure I didn't have them, plus I was pregnant and didn't want to take unneeded treatments, but DH decided to treat himself, and he didn't feel like getting intimate with garlic, so I bought him the regular (oral) medicine.

Well, when I handed the medicine, which was called Anti-Pin Worm Medicine, to the cashier, she said, "What are those?" I was fumbling in my purse and just acted like I hadn't heard her. Then she said, "Well, I never heard of those things." I just ignored her. I know that's rude, but I didn't want to discuss what type of creatures my husband may or may not have in his digestive tract. And no, she couldn't have been commenting on anything else because it was the only thing I bought. Very inappropriate. It's probably a good idea to just never comment on medicines.

In November I had shingles. I got acyclovir, which also is used to treat herpes. I made sure when I picked it up from my local pharmacy that I created conversation that lead to me being able to explain that I had shingles!

When my wife was pregnant we were shopping at a certain store that likes to use a bullseye and the cashier started asking about her pregnancy. She asked if she was having twins and we said no. Her response was, "Have you made sure?" We answered yes we had, several ultrasounds showed only one. She pressed again saying we should get a second opinion. It was weird.......or a subtle insult at my wife's size.......

I wouldnt take it in a wrong way. Baggers dont make a lot of money(i use to be one age 16-20). In this economy most people cant afford a lot. I know theres no way I could afford a $25 steak. I only buy meat if its on sale and try to stay under $8.
When i first started as a bag girl we were told never to ask women how many months pregnant they were because they might just be overweight and they would be very offended. We were told one aother thing but i cant remember its been 20 years ago.

I'd be offended if I was told I shouldnt be buying certain food because i was overweight or asked if I was pregnant-lol!

Brush it off and be happy you can afford $25 steaks, I think they were just shocked because I'm sure so many are on budgets

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter