Cashier/bagger comments?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Ever had a cashier comment on the price of something that you've bought? I just got back from grocery shopping. Once in a while I like to splurge for some beef tenderloin. Well today was that day. It was the only thing that I bought at this store. I had 3 packages (with one steak in each) and each of those ranged from $4-$5. Then since I usually buy 8 at one time and there were no more in the meat case, I asked the butcher to get me 5 more. She packaged them up all together and the price was $25.

I got to the register and the bagger was like this, literally :scared1:.....$25, this steak costs $25 :scared1: that's a lot of money (along with a bunch of "wows" and "sheeshs" under his breath) Then the cashier's like, "for that price, I hope you cook them right. That would suck to pay that kind of money and have them turn out wrong" LOL

In all my years of grocery shopping I have never really had anyone say something like that.

A few times I've had cashiers say wow, that's a great price or I've always wanted to try this or even this is on sale, I'd better stock up. Doesn't bother me. Your experience was a little weird though.

Ever had a cashier comment on the price of something that you've bought? I just got back from grocery shopping. Once in a while I like to splurge for some beef tenderloin. Well today was that day. It was the only thing that I bought at this store. I had 3 packages (with one steak in each) and each of those ranged from $4-$5. Then since I usually buy 8 at one time and there were no more in the meat case, I asked the butcher to get me 5 more. She packaged them up all together and the price was $25.

I got to the register and the bagger was like this, literally :scared1:.....$25, this steak costs $25 :scared1: that's a lot of money (along with a bunch of "wows" and "sheeshs" under his breath) Then the cashier's like, "for that price, I hope you cook them right. That would suck to pay that kind of money and have them turn out wrong" LOL

In all my years of grocery shopping I have never really had anyone say something like that.

Rude.

A few times I've had cashiers say wow, that's a great price or I've always wanted to try this or even this is on sale, I'd better stock up. Doesn't bother me. Your experience was a little weird though.

Oh yeah, I've had them comment on a great price or ask if I like a certain product because they were thinking of trying it, but never something like they said this morning. it was a bit weird.

Strikes me as a little rude...kind of like you are an idiot for buying such expensive meat so she hopes you're smart enough to know how to cook it properly. ;)

I have had the cashier make "small talk" about something I've purchased..ie-"do you like Pillsbury cake mix better than Duncan Hines?". I've even had them comment on a topic listed on the cover of a magazine...ie-"oh this one is going to show you how to organize your house. That would take me 10 year" or something along those lines. I've even had them give me hints about less-exepnsive options like "The store brand of chips are just as good as the Lays brand and they are a dollar cheaper".

I don't generally get negative commentary though.

I was behind another customer (older gentleman) who bought a HUGE standing rib roast that was around $140. The guy said he was excited because he was having his son and his new wife over for dinner for the first time and he wanted to impress them. I thought it was really sweet. After he left, the cashier commented to me that she would never spend that kind of money on food. She said he should've just taken them out to a restaurant and kept saying he was crazy for spending that kind of money. At least she didn't say all this to him.

I get the "have you tried this?" comments about some of the more "exotic" items I buy...like Tika Masala sauce. :rotfl: Or Pepsi Throwback. :rotfl2:

Or I get "how do you make this?"

Those comments I don't mind. I'll happily share my recipe or my opinion. Once, I had some Dr Pepper Throwback and Mtn Dew Throwback (see a pattern?) in teh cart, and the cashier and bagger were going nuts over it. They had never had the "old stuff"...so I left them each a couple of cans with the customer service manager.

I've never gotten the "rude" comments.

what a jealous person. how dare he talk about what you bought like that. It is your right as a customer who is paying his wages to buy what you want WITHOUT an employee commenting.

The "wow expensive" would not have bugged me. Saying "You better know how to cook it" would.

These people see tons of products with their prices all the time. I see the comments as commiserating about the high prices of meat nowadays.

By the way, I would love tenderloin as such a low price. I hope that you know how to cook them properly. (I kid!) :)

Last spring, I went to Sears to buy a black Lands End dress I had seen on line. I bought the dress to celebrate losing 100 pounds. It was the type of dress I could have never worn at my higher weight. I drove 45 minutes to this store because I needed to try it on since I wasn't sure what size I was. It was full price, but I didn't care. I couldn't believe I was buying such a small size!

When I went to pay for it the cashier said she couldn't believe I was paying full price for that dress and that she would never buy something that expensive for herself. She actually told me it must be nice to have so much extra money. I didn't say a word back to here. I left planning to find a manager to report how inappropriate she was, but I was in such a good mood I decided to let it go. I do make a point of not going back to that particular Sears, though.

I have had a lot of supermarket cashiers comment on what I am buying. Typically it's new items that they haven't seen

Were these teens or something? 25 bucks for a steak is nothing.

I gave up deli meat recently and let me tell you they should be complaining about THAT! That really eased up our grocery bill.

All the time. I don't care. I've worked retail before; it gets monotonous.

I wouldn't care about a cashier or bagger's comments. I'm sure that it is a lot of money to them.

I think that's very inexpensive for steak actually, it's gotten very pricey here.

kimblebee said:

This is the kind of comments I've gotten before too, but what you OP experienced is very different I think. A bit strange. As others have asked was the cashier very young? Just about any good size roast could easily cost more than $25, heck a thanksgiving turkey is more than that lol .

Zandy595 said:
I was behind another customer (older gentleman) who bought a HUGE standing rib roast that was around $140. The guy said he was excited because he was having his son and his new wife over for dinner for the first time and he wanted to impress them. I thought it was really sweet. After he left, the cashier commented to me that she would never spend that kind of money on food. She said he should've just taken them out to a restaurant and kept saying he was crazy for spending that kind of money. At least she didn't say all this to him.

I hate when a cashier talks to me about the customer who just left. Makes me wonder if they are going to talk about me after I leave.

A couple of weeks ago I had a cashier chastise me for buying 10 packs of lil debbie valentine cakes. They were on sale and my teenaged beanpole son loves them for his lunches, so I stocked up. I'm not exactly a beanpole, so I guess she felt that she was "fat shaming" me.

I told her I was terminally ill and showed her my giant surgery scar, so I wasn't worried about becoming a type 2 diabetic! I figured that maybe she needed a little "bad manner's shaming"! :rotfl:

The cashier was young (maybe late teens/early twenties) but the bagger HAS to be in his forties, maybe even early fifties??? I know he's been there forever. It didn't really bother me what they said, it just struck me as odd. Like I said, I've never had anyone say anything like that to me before.

palmbeachmom said:
A couple of weeks ago I had a cashier chastise me for buying 10 packs of lil debbie valentine cakes. They were on sale and my teenaged beanpole son loves them for his lunches, so I stocked up. I'm not exactly a beanpole, so I guess she felt that she was "fat shaming" me.

I told her I was terminally ill and showed her my giant surgery scar, so I wasn't worried about becoming a type 2 diabetic! I figured that maybe she needed a little "bad manner's shaming"! :rotfl:

Now THIS would cross the line for me, what the heck?!? A bit of retraining or common sense 101 is in order huh?

I get that all of the time when I buy organic milk. I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand) and almost every single time the cashier says, "Really? $5 for a gallon of milk? That can't be right...sheesh". I just respond saying that the price is correct and I prefer to purchase items without antibiotics, growth hormones, or pesticides. It gets annoying after a while, and surely I'm not the only person they ever ring up that buys organic milk...I don't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts