Cashier/bagger comments?

We used to go back to our home state (LA) in the fall and would stock up at Walmart on our favorite coffee from there. It was so funny to hear the comments, sometimes to us, sometimes just in our hearing. People would start running back to the coffee area thinking it was a terrific sale. The cashier would comment that we sure must love coffee to be able to use that much.

We just laughed and told them the truth that we were on an annual visit and were stocking up. Most of them understood, as we are very particular about our coffee in southern Louisiana ;)

Never had any rude comments from any cashier - just polite conversation that I always join in with.

I don't since my wife does the grocery shopping. But she has commented to me that at times the baggers/cashier make a comment when she requests paper over plastic, and double bag them, please.

lol! I use to be a bagger 20 years ago and baggers hate having to do double paper and especially paper in the plastic-lol! I didnt mind it because that was my job and I always tried putting 100% and with a smile. The large orders where they would have a full basket or two were a pain but only because it would get backed up and the cashier would just stand there and watch after they were done ringing it up.

Tell your wife the next complaint she can say " well its better then paper bag in plastic"-lol!

There is one cashier at our local Wal-mart that I avoid at all costs! I think she is just trying to be friendly, but she doesn't think at all before she speaks. It's been 15 years ago (I don't know how she has managed to stay employed that long) anyways, I had just started my cycle for the first time and my mom wanted to take me to the store to show me the different options I had and to choose a brand I felt comfortable with. I wasn't thrilled about the idea and was so afraid I would see someone from school. I pick out my items and we go pay. I blush so easily, so I assume I was all red in the face and was ready to run out of the store. The cashier picks up my items to scan them and then asks me if I had just "started" for the first time. She then proceeds to tell me about how she had that happen for the first time at camp! I was never so uncomfortable!!!

Horizon cows have 'access' to pastures, but they are in a factory farm and don't get out there. Their cows are constantly hooked up to the milking machines - they produce double the national average of milk. When a cow gets sick they just ship it off to slaughter. They are an awful company that shouldn't be allowed to label their products as organic. They are owned by Dean Foods.
Really? Do you have some links? I'd be interested to read more. I will sometimes pay more for local organics just because it helps my local farmers, but I had not heard that about Horizon before. I try to stay away from Dean because I know they use rBGH on their cows but I assume that Horizon does not. My DD is smaller than her peers and I am sure it's because she doesn't consume all the hormones in milk and meat (she is a vegetarian and I mostly buy organic dairy).

I had a cashier once make a comment about the size of jeans I was buying. She was rude and negative and even though I have insane self-esteem, I got to my car and I cried my eyes out.

I SHOULD have just left them there at the counter and walked out AND that made me cry more that I just took it. Very unlike me.

When I got home, I wrote a letter to the store manager about it and to this day, I won't set foot in that store again.

I would have cried if I got a comment like that. I remember many years ago, when I was at my thinnest and not overweight at all I walked to the corner store during my break and bought a bag of candy to share with my co-workers. The guy made a comment about me buying it, how he bet I would eat the whole thing, and I told him it was for work, and he said, "Yeah, sure." What a jerk.

I just love it when complete strangers think they have a right to comment on your weight (or your kids' weight, your eating/spending habits, etc) to shame you or something. Trust me, anyone who is overweight shames THEMSELVES enough.

Yes I have had a cashier at a bookstore say something to me one time. I was a Barnes & Noble in my town back in the summer of 2007 I think. I went into the store to buy a couple of astronomy magazines that only B&N sold that I couldn't find anywhere else. I had five new one dollar bills that day that I had just gotten from the bank. After I handed over the dollar bills the cashier made a joke that because the bills were sticking together. Had asked if I had made that money myself that morning.

Which I found to be not funny because making money like that is against the law. It was just not funny at all to me. I know she said it as a joke but I mean come on you don't make comments like that to someone. Went out to the car and told my father what had happened and we went back in to talk to a manager about what happened.

The manager said that they would talk to that cashier. Plus I should add that this was not a teenager that made the comment it was an adult that made the comment and should have known better to say that. I hope I am making sense writing this out it has been a couple of years but something I would never forget.

I think you might have over-reacted a bit there, as that's a pretty common saying. I've had customers say it to me before when I handed them crisp bills.

firecracker725 said:
I think you might have over-reacted a bit there, as that's a pretty common saying. I've had customers say it to me before when I handed them crisp bills.

Never had it said to me before because I have never really gotten crisp bills before. I always seem to get the bills that are falling apart. I guess I did over-react was not feeling good that day.

tinkerbellfan6880 said:
Never had it said to me before because I have never really gotten crisp bills before. I always seem to get the bills that are falling apart. I guess I did over-react was not feeling good that day.

I have handed some crisp bills over before, and told the cashier they mike stick together I got them fresh off the press this morning ;).....Always brings a smile to their face and that special market they use..;)

Yes I have had a cashier at a bookstore say something to me one time. I was a Barnes & Noble in my town back in the summer of 2007 I think. I went into the store to buy a couple of astronomy magazines that only B&N sold that I couldn't find anywhere else. I had five new one dollar bills that day that I had just gotten from the bank. After I handed over the dollar bills the cashier made a joke that because the bills were sticking together. Had asked if I had made that money myself that morning.

Which I found to be not funny because making money like that is against the law. It was just not funny at all to me. I know she said it as a joke but I mean come on you don't make comments like that to someone. Went out to the car and told my father what had happened and we went back in to talk to a manager about what happened.

The manager said that they would talk to that cashier. Plus I should add that this was not a teenager that made the comment it was an adult that made the comment and should have known better to say that. I hope I am making sense writing this out it has been a couple of years but something I would never forget.
That wouldn't have offended me at all. Heck, I might have said that to the cashier as I handed her the money (I don't think anyone really counterfeits one dollar bills, anyway).

My rude comment experience came when I bought some frozen pizza, soda pop, and candy. The cashier went on and on how nothing was healthy that I had. I just said, yeah, but I was kind of offended. I figured we could eat what we wanted for "movie night" without the judgment.

I would have looked her squarely in the eye and said something like,

"The ones and fives always seem to stick to each other, that never seems to happen with the 20's and 50's. It must be the different ink I use.":cool1:

I would have just said a nice prayer that some day that cashier would know that spending that little amount on your steaks isn't some giant splurge. In her mind, that is a big splurge obviously. She probably has to work 3-4 hours on her feet just to be able to afford that. As far as the organic milk ones, that would be working one hour on their feet just to be able to buy that.
The story about the counterfeit money joke? Really? You tried to get someone in trouble at their job for making a dumb joke?
I guess that I try everyday to see how blessed my life is. I can't imagine going back to a place in my life where it would be a hardship to buy decent food for my family. I am beyond blessed and I am so utterly grateful.

I am blissfully oblivious about what they may think about what I buy, because I've worked retail and food service, and you can't imagine the weird stuff that people buy, every day. I know that unless I'm buying live chickens, rubber sheets, and two hatchets ands one poison I am pretty normal.

I don't even care. Walgreens had a decent paper goods sale a few weeks ago. I rolled up with a cart with a jumbo box of pads, two boxes of pantyliners, a big box of tampons, flushable wipes for me, some Thermacare patches, my daughters night time pull-ups, some flushable wipes for her, some Advil for both of us, a Digiornio pizza and a big thing of chocolate marked down from Christmas. I am sure that the cashier was afraid to say anything! :rotfl:

Seriously?? :eek: Wow.

:confused3 I just figure that the cashier is trying to be friendly and make small talk, it's boring scanning all that stuff all day long and not talking to people, so you make some small talk, commiserate with the customer about the prices and the weather, try to make the baby laugh, etc. (I used to be a cashier back in ancient times) Any dumb comments that the cashier makes and SO irrelevant to me that they don't even register. Do people really care that the cashier comments about what they are buying?? SO not even on my radar.

I am blissfully oblivious about what they may think about what I buy, because I've worked retail and food service, and you can't imagine the weird stuff that people buy, every day. I know that unless I'm buying live chickens, rubber sheets, and two hatchets ands one poison I am pretty normal.

I don't even care. Walgreens had a decent paper goods sale a few weeks ago. I rolled up with a cart with a jumbo box of pads, two boxes of pantyliners, a big box of tampons, flushable wipes for me, some Thermacare patches, my daughters night time pull-ups, some flushable wipes for her, some Advil for both of us, a Digiornio pizza and a big thing of chocolate marked down from Christmas. I am sure that the cashier was afraid to say anything! :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: PMS squared!

What bothers me is when the person on line behind me examines everything in my cart and makes comments. Advil was on sale one time plus we had coupons, so we stocked up on a few boxes. The guy behind us was like "you must get a lot of headaches". I would have let it go, but he was examining everything in the cart and I found it annoying.

My friend bought about 8 bottles of Summer's Eve recently (her dog was skunked.) She didn't buy anything else and paid full price. She said she was dying for someone to say something but no one did. I imagine the cashier was too freaked out -- really, if you don't know about using it on a skunked dog, what must be going through your head? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

After suffering a heartbreaking miscarriage, a few months later we decided to try again. After a few weeks,, I was experiencing early pregnancy symptoms. Not trying to get my hopes up, I went to Walmart to get some pregnancy tests. The cashier scanned them and looked up and said, "oh my goodness, pregnant, huh? I'm sorry. Are you happy about this?".

I didn't say a word, paid and left.

I can't believe your Father would report someone for making a joke. Obviously it is illegal to make your own money. Apparently your family does not have a sense of humor at all.

In November I had shingles. I got acyclovir, which also is used to treat herpes. I made sure when I picked it up from my local pharmacy that I created conversation that lead to me being able to explain that I had shingles!

I had Shingles and was prescribed Valtrex and Vicodin. I was SO embarrassed to pick those RXs up! :rotfl: As the pharmacy tech was going over everything I blurted out that I had Shingles. She laughed and said she figured that because the Vicodin we prescribed at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter